Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Toplef10July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! I22gcj10July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Toplef10July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! I22gcj10July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!!

+4
sanderson
OhioGardener
nrstooge
Scorpio Rising
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Empty July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!!

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/30/2019, 10:23 pm

Finally summer, but here, it was like the spigot turned OFF and the heat turned on....just like that....

Peas are gonna come out this weekend.  I watered (? Right) and fertilized with that stinky stinky fish stuff.  

Weeded and tied up maters.  Mundane things.   Waiting period...not far for garlic....and Sunburst tomatoes.  

Squash setting fruita, same with cukes.  

Strawberries are done, man were they amazing.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Empty Re: July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!!

Post  nrstooge 7/1/2019, 8:06 am

I've picked a few peas, and a few baby tomatoes.  Things seem late, but are progressing.
nrstooge
nrstooge

Back to top Go down

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Empty Re: July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!!

Post  OhioGardener 7/1/2019, 9:31 am

We're in full summer mode now.  Daily picking of cherry tomatoes, squash, kale, lettuce, green onions, radishes, and peppers. Harvested the beets. Some carrots are about ready to pull, and will be planting more soon. As SR said, it has turned hot & dry, but we're supposed to have rain for the next 3 days - haven't turned on the drip irrigation system yet, but watching the weather.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4470

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/4/2019, 10:00 am

Agree, nrstooge, things are late but moving along.  Hopefully we get a break this fall and get some extra time before frost!  I picked my first half-dozen Sungold cherry tomatoes yesterday!  Man are those tasty and sweet!  I missed them last year.   Pulling spent peas today.  Big mistake; putting the shell peas and sugar snaps next to each other...Wink

OG you are ahead of me by a couple weeks I think!  Enjoy this holiday weekend, chance of rain each day, still hopeful for some sunshine for poolside fun!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/6/2019, 9:09 am

Doing some research on why my patty pan is dropping little baby fruits, probably a pollination issue.  Plants look healthy, will wait it out a bit because I have TONS of bees and various pollinators around?  Might just be a glitch.  Saw my first baby zucchini out there!  The plant is smaller than I imagined?  I guess it is doing OK though.  

Cherry tomatoes are wonderful.  Sungold is my absolute all time fave. Watching the garlic, it’s getting close....will let it go as long as it looks like it’s growing.  Then I have a few squares to fill.  More carrots.  (Story:  I left all my carrots out on the counter last year over night and they got limp and terrible....deprived).

I might try to put in more cukes...what else should I succession plant?  I think it’s too early for Fall.  Radishes?  Asian turnips?  (Tokyo Cross, Hakurei)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/6/2019, 9:27 am

I had the same problem with my summer squash, SR, but they are on a roll now and we are picking 6 to 10 every day. The problem we had was that the plants only had female blooms, and there wasn't a single male bloom to pollinate them.  They finally straightened out and started producing male & female blooms at the same time.

If you haven't tried the Sora Radish (the summer radish), you might like to try them. They are our favorites, and we enjoy them in salads all summer long.

https://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-non-gmo-sora-radish-a.html

Another of our favorite summer plants is the Perpetual Spinach. It doesn't bolt during the hot weather, and makes great salads.

https://www.rareseeds.com/perpetual-spinach/

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/7/2019, 10:36 am

OhioGardener wrote:I had the same problem with my summer squash, SR, but they are on a roll now and we are picking 6 to 10 every day. The problem we had was that the plants only had female blooms, and there wasn't a single male bloom to pollinate them.  They finally straightened out and started producing male & female blooms at the same time.

If you haven't tried the Sora Radish (the summer radish), you might like to try them. They are our favorites, and we enjoy them in salads all summer long.

Another of our favorite summer plants is the Perpetual Spinach. It doesn't bolt during the hot weather, and makes great salads.

https://www.rareseeds.com/perpetual-spinach/
That makes me feel better about the squash situation, OG...and thanks for the ideas!  I will give them a try!  I love trying new things that you just don’t find at Krogers!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/7/2019, 11:57 am

I put a 4' high by 6' wide section of cattle panel on top of the raised bed for the cucumbers to climb on, and they have pretty much taken over the entire thing. You can get an idea by the number of blooms in the pictures how many cucumbers are hiding in there.  Maybe 3 cucumber plants were too many!  Very Happy

Been eating cucumbers in salads for about 2 weeks, and last evening we had the first refrigerator pickled cucumber & onion salad. Delicious!

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Cucumb11

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Cucumb13

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Cucumb12

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Cucumb14

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/7/2019, 2:33 pm

Wow!  Your cukes are amazing!  I love them, canned my first dills and bread and butters last year, very fun and delicious.  

I ordered the suggested Sora radishes and Perpetual Spinach!  They are on the way to fill my voids, along with extra carrots.  Can’t wait!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/7/2019, 3:34 pm

Shocked Wow!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/7/2019, 7:30 pm

Those leaves are huge, OG, what variety do you grow?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/7/2019, 7:56 pm

SR, those are my old standby Straight Eight cucumbers. Always great producers.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/8/2019, 6:24 pm

OhioGardener wrote:SR, those are my old standby Straight Eight cucumbers. Always great producers.
I have grown those before, too!  My new fave which I ran out of seed this spring is Beit Alpha.  I have 3 new to me varieties out there right now....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/8/2019, 9:08 pm

Just pulled the garlic; disappointed.  Only 4 decent bulbs.  It has been so wet, and I waited too long.  3 of them just broke off when I jacked them, bulb is now compost.   Sad  Also got a bunch of cherry maters.  And I DO have a jalapeño plant out there!  YEA!!!!

Squash might be ready for a stir-fry this weekend!  And I saw some life on the melons.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 7/8/2019, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/11/2019, 5:10 pm

First picking of green beans for this year. These are Blue Lake Bush beans. Planted 9 squares with 9 plants per square, and they produced just under 9 pounds of beans on the first picking.  Some for dinner this evening, and the rest will go into the freezer for this winter.

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Green_10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/11/2019, 9:29 pm

Nice haul, OG!  I didn’t plant any beans this year...I didn’t eat them last year.  I will probably miss ‘em and plant them next year...the cycle!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Empty Succession...

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/11/2019, 10:47 pm

Got my first Sora radish seeds today.  Will scheme and plant this weekend!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/12/2019, 9:36 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Got my first Sora radish seeds today.  Will scheme and plant this weekend!
Where did you find them? Baker Creek doesn't have any.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2019, 9:19 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Got my first Sora radish seeds today.  Will scheme and plant this weekend!
High Mowing Seeds!  OG hooked me up!  

The perpetual spinach (it’s a Swiss chard) same today!  Planting weekend!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/13/2019, 10:53 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
High Mowing Seeds!  OG hooked me up!  

The perpetual spinach (it’s a Swiss chard) same today!  Planting weekend!!!!
YEE-HAH! I'm on it! thankyou
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/14/2019, 9:38 am

Had to water my south annex (melons and squashes) yesterday.  Has been hot and sunny for a week!

Picked my first cuke yesterday, as well as my first patty pan squashes—yum!  All gone!  Supper last night.  Used my last garlic from last year in the sauté.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 7/14/2019, 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/14/2019, 10:37 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Had to water my south annex (melons and squashes) yesterday.  Has been hot and sunny for a week!

Picked my first cuke yesterday, as well as my first patty pan squashes—yum!  All gone!  Supper last night.  Used my last garlic from last year in the sauté.
Cukes were the first seeds I planted -- months ago -- and I'm still waiting for the first one.  July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! 950477
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/14/2019, 10:57 am

Today was a Pepper Picking Day.  Bell Peppers, Sweet Banana Peppers, and Jalapeno Peppers.  For lunch will be Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Peppers. For dinner this evening will be Stuffed Banana Pepper Casserole, and the salad will have sliced bell peppers and fresh tomatoes in it. 

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Pepper22

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/14/2019, 11:55 am

OhioGardener wrote:Sweet Banana Peppers

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Pepper22
Hmm -- sweet banana peppers? Tell me more!
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/14/2019, 12:18 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:Sweet Banana Peppers
Hmm -- sweet banana peppers? Tell me more!

Sweet Banana Peppers - some of my favorites! Eat them right out of the garden (many never make it to the house) for salads, pickle them for winter salads, stuff them with sausage and cheese for a casserole - just no end to the ways they can be served. As soon as they start changing from light green to yellow, they become sweet and are ready to eat.

These are the ones I grow: https://www.ufseeds.com/product/sweet-banana-pepper-seeds/

July 2019 Northern and Central Midwest –SUMMER!!! Banana17

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum