Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Toplef10Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! I22gcj10Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Toplef10Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! I22gcj10Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region!

+4
nancy
Ha-v-v
auntiemommy
mckr3441
8 posters

Go down

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Empty Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region!

Post  mckr3441 6/1/2010, 2:05 pm

June is here! Can lots of fresh vegetable be far behind?

Post your June news here. Sure, I know you will be posting in lots of different Forums on the SFG site. But keep a bit of a log going here too so that we all can refer to it as we go through June in our Region. Newcomers will love knowing the stories we all tell.

For those of us who started early in the year, with your boxes already full of Mel's Mix from last year, you are harvesting already!

For the rest of us, hopefully most of the hard work of building boxes and mixing Mel's Mix is slowing down and we can concentrate more on the next phase -- watching things grow!

I was reading my garden log from last year and, while I have been feeling way behind this spring, I realized that it was June 20 of last year when we completed building and filling our first SFG. So I guess I'm not far behind! I'm AHEAD.

Claire Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Icon_flower

P.S. If you haven't already put your location and/or zone in your avatar, it will be very helpful to everyone if you will do it now. Thank you.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Empty Re: Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region!

Post  auntiemommy 6/1/2010, 2:21 pm

Here's today's take:
Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Img_4611

First broccoli of the year (actually ever for me, never planted it in my old garden), 4th or 5th batch of lettuce and spinach and some radishes.
auntiemommy
auntiemommy

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Empty Re: Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region!

Post  mckr3441 6/1/2010, 2:24 pm

Aunty, Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! 657780!
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 6/1/2010, 2:27 pm

I was reading my garden log from last year and, while I have been
feeling way behind this spring, I realized that it was June 20 of
last year when we completed building and filling our first SFG. So I
guess I'm not far behind! I'm AHEAD.

I love that !! Im doing a happy dance for you. I know what it feels like when Ive felt like I was behind and found out I was ahead !!! Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! 53366 Its like a miracle and weight off my shoulders.

First broccoli of the year (actually ever for me, never planted it in my
old garden), 4th or 5th batch of lettuce and spinach and some radishes.

It looks so tastey !! I can imagine the flavor!!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 6/1/2010, 2:29 pm

I haven't been down to my garden since Saturday morning and boy am I missing it! I'm going after work today to check on everyone. Fortunately it rained last night, so I know (hope) they haven't died due to dehydration.

Yesterday we went to a U-Pick farm and picked our own delicious strawberries! We've planted our own, so we know what to look forward to next year. I have tons of yummy preserves in my freezer. It was so much fun - I can't wait to do raspberries next! Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Icon_biggrin
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 6/1/2010, 2:32 pm

Celebrating June 1 with a picture of my new 4x4 just completed yesterday.
Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Img_2013
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 6/1/2010, 2:43 pm

Its so pretty !! I cant get over how the "neatness" of a sfg makes me happy. The rock area behind the garden is very pretty and calming Smile Like your red shovel too Smile

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Icon_sunny Sunshine for your garden Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  auntiemommy 6/1/2010, 2:56 pm

Very nice! So neat and it fits just perfectly there.
Makes me want to get motivated and get my long bed made. Looks like rain, so it will have to wait.
auntiemommy
auntiemommy

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 6/1/2010, 3:51 pm

Everyone's beds look lovely! I just love seeing everyone's gardens. Here's a few of mine. I have one net left to hang on a trellis and then I'm pretty much done. Brought out my planters today and got some flowers to put in them. Makes it more festive, especially as everything matures and fills in.

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Sfg6310

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Sfg6511

Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Sfg6210
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 6/2/2010, 7:48 am

Carrie, your Painted garden ROCKS!! I just love that.

How are all of us Midwesterners doing.....did anyone in this area get bad storms yesterday?
Here in se MN we had heavy rain, but it was needed. It looked like Iowa was blanketed in rain and storms all day, tornadoes too......? Is Iowa in our zone - I'm assuming a 5?

Hope everyone escaped bad weather.

Tonya
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 6/2/2010, 12:52 pm

Things looked pretty good when I got there last night. I had to pull a few more spinach plants and the lettuce is very close to being done. I have 1 tomato about which I'm a bit worried. It just doesn't look as if it's thriving. It's the Rutgers. The Roma is doing great! And so are the 2 in my kid's bed. But most exciting to me - I got to eat my first pea! Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Icon_biggrin Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Icon_biggrin Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Icon_biggrin Now I wish I had planted more. I will this fall! Her watermelons also seem happy. This is all so exciting!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 6/2/2010, 1:00 pm

Nancy, where was the U-pick strawberry farm that you went to? We used to go out to a place in Harrison, but they stopped doing it.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 6/2/2010, 1:29 pm

We sure did have rain on Monday! My rain gauge (gage?) said 1 1/4 inches in a very short time. We needed it and there was no damage. Not much wind. Just east of us they got 3" in 1 hour!!! My Gsons schools were closed Tuesday due to flooding.

But... my garden is happy.

Claire Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 6/2/2010, 1:39 pm

Lisa - we went to Branstrator Farm in Clarksville - near Camp Kern & Morgan's Canoe. I found the guy at the Wyoming Farmer's Market a few weeks ago. His strawberries are fabulous! I put some of my preserves on a bagel today and nearly swooned! Yum!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 6/2/2010, 2:27 pm

Do you happen to remember how much you paid per pound? I just found berries n blooms, and they charge $1.75 per pound.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nurse Grams 6/2/2010, 3:41 pm

We had very heavy rain and wind here in West MI on Monday also. I haven't gotten my tomato supports up yet and they were about blown/washed right out of their containers! All fixed up now though and will be getting the supports up this coming weekend (I hope)

My SFG is mostly a kitchen herb garden ... from which I have already harvested chives, parsley, oregano and basil.

Besides the herbs, I have a couple of sweet peppers in the SFG bed too, plus the 3 containers of tomatoes, one pumpkin plant & two vine type cukes that I really MUST find a place for because those three are really getting out of hand in their little pots. Oh ... and the Grand-kids sprouted their own sunflower seeds so we have about 14 or so of those in the back yard, too. (Plus their flower "picking garden" in the front near the SFG box)

This is our first year at this house so we're using it to see what the previous owners had planted and where. Geez oh pizza ... you should see the Hosta and Peony plants they had! Huge and beautiful!

My favorite U-Pick strawberry place has posted that strawberries will be ready about 6/12 this year. I can hardly wait. Sure have been enjoying the fresh asparagus from the road-side stands that I frequent.

---Pam
aka Nurse Grams
Nurse Grams
Nurse Grams

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 6/2/2010, 3:52 pm

I think he was also $1.75 / pound. I spent nearly $18! Let's Hear It For JUNE in the Northern and Central Midwest Region! Icon_porc
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down