Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Toplef10Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( I22gcj10Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Toplef10Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( I22gcj10Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-(

5 posters

Go down

Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Empty Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-(

Post  brianj555 9/19/2017, 7:31 pm

Two of my cucumber plants pulled the stake over and fell on the ground.  They got really heavy because I didn't know to prune them to a main stem.  They were a tangle mess on the ground and partially pulled down a couple of tomato plants as well.  pale  I did my best to get the tomato plants untangled and back on their stakes. Only time will tell as to whether or not they will survive.  Then I spent the next hour untangling and laying the cucumbers out on the ground. 
Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Img_3920
Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Img_3921
Clearly these guys are too big to go back on a 6' bamboo stake.  Can I leave them on the ground?  Does anyone have any other suggestions other than that?  I fully realize this is a rookie blunder. I sure would appreciate any feedback and suggestions you guys might have .
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Empty Re: Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-(

Post  RoOsTeR 9/19/2017, 7:43 pm

Hard to tell from the angle, but a simple (possible) solution is run twine from the wood on your box to the upper rail of your wood fence.
Row gardeners (myself included) have grown cucs on the ground for ions...maybe longer tongue
If the plants are healthy and nothing is actually broken, they should be fine. Cucumbers and tomatoes both can take a beating.

Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/19/2017, 8:05 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Hard to tell from the angle, but a simple (possible) solution is run twine from the wood on your box to the upper rail of your wood fence.
Row gardeners (myself included) have grown cucs on the ground for ions...maybe longer tongue
If the plants are healthy and nothing is actually broken, they should be fine. Cucumbers and tomatoes both can take a beating.
That's a great idea!  Wow!  Thank you Rooster.  I really appreciate it.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/20/2017, 6:49 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Hard to tell from the angle, but a simple (possible) solution is run twine from the wood on your box to the upper rail of your wood fence.
Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Img_3922
Thanks again for the great idea rooster.  I figured it was worth a try. I even ran a couple more for the other two cucumber plants just in case that stake gives way too.  I'm figuring these guys might have a fighting chance now.  With this behind me, now I can get back to battling the leaf footed nymphs.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/20/2017, 6:55 pm

cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  stealthmayhem 9/21/2017, 5:27 pm

That's exactly what I did as well, But, with nylon trellis netting.  Worked for Pole Beans as well.

Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Img_2035
stealthmayhem
stealthmayhem

Male Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/21/2017, 6:32 pm

stealthmayhem wrote:

That's exactly what I did as well, But, with nylon trellis netting.  Worked for Pole Beans as well.

Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Img_2035
That looks great mayhem. I might do the same. I'm a little concerned about all that weight being on one line.  I might run some nylon trellis under my lines. I had the jute on hand so I went ahead and ran 4 lines from the box to the fence.  I have 4 Cuke plants, two of which haven't fallen over off of the steak yet.  I would like to go ahead and run the two that are still on the stake up the lines also, but I am concerned about damaging them in the process and possibly damaging the two tomato plants nearest to them as well.  I can't really decide what to do.  The two on the stakes are also very healthy and have many juvenile cucumbers on them.  That makes the choice even harder as I know  there will be some casualties in the process of untangling them. It could serve a greater good down the road though.  My projected first frost isn't until around 11/15 and many times it's after that. I would like to get some opinions on that from you guys since I'm on the fence.  You guys were smart enough to give me the idea to run the lines. (Great idea again rooster:cheers:). Maybe your input about the other two will bring to light some things I haven't considered.
Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Img_3923
Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Img_3924
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/21/2017, 7:46 pm

Brian, your remaining undamaged plants look so heavy and laden that I think they will overcome the bamboo poles.  I would be tempted to do a redundant type support....maybe driving a big wooden sturdy stake in between them and wrapping twine around them for extra veritcal stability????
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/21/2017, 9:27 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Brian, your remaining undamaged plants look so heavy and laden that I think they will overcome the bamboo poles.  I would be tempted to do a redundant type support....maybe driving a big wooden sturdy stake in between them and wrapping twine around them for extra veritcal stability????
I think that's a good idea.  Do you think I could get new stakes in there without damaging the roots?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/24/2017, 3:38 pm

brianj555 wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Brian, your remaining undamaged plants look so heavy and laden that I think they will overcome the bamboo poles.  I would be tempted to do a redundant type support....maybe driving a big wooden sturdy stake in between them and wrapping twine around them for extra veritcal stability????
I think that's a good idea.  Do you think I could get new stakes in there without damaging the roots?
I think if you get it real close to the edge of the box it will be minimal.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/24/2017, 4:40 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
brianj555 wrote:
I think if you get it real close to the edge of the box it will be minimal.
I might do that.  I will be keeping an eye on them to see if I need to go that route.  The two bushes/vines are actually starting to reach out and climb the lines I put out for them.  I think that's a good thing.  (See below)
Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-( Img_3933
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/27/2017, 1:57 pm

the SFG journey is an exciting one. you learn there is a basic technique and then ideas that can improve your garden experience. I tried several methods including the ones above but found my plants would suffocate later from overgrowth or grow too fast to the top of the trellis. I settled on the Mittieder method and the cucumber industry method of using the string method and pruning. I will post my video and a youtube video for further clarification. hope this helps. sharing and learning. A fun adventure.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down