Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is up with my cucumber plants? Toplef10What is up with my cucumber plants? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is up with my cucumber plants? I22gcj10What is up with my cucumber plants? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is up with my cucumber plants? Toplef10What is up with my cucumber plants? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is up with my cucumber plants? I22gcj10What is up with my cucumber plants? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What is up with my cucumber plants?

4 posters

Go down

What is up with my cucumber plants? Empty What is up with my cucumber plants?

Post  Megan 7/30/2010, 7:31 pm

This only recently started happening to my cucumbers. Some leaves have just up and wilted, and quickly dry out and die. Most leaves seem perfectly healthy and the plants are still producing fruit, and sending out new tendrils and flowers. The same thing is also happening to another local gardener. We have striped cucumber beetles but have been spraying for them with Neem Oil. Not sure it is the beetles, though... they have been around for quite a while and this is something new?

It does not seem to be happening to my squash plants or watermelon, though they are all on top of each other. Any ideas what might be going on???

What is up with my cucumber plants? Photo%203-736672

What is up with my cucumber plants? Photo%201-739466

What is up with my cucumber plants? Photo%202-740908
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What is up with my cucumber plants? Empty Re: What is up with my cucumber plants?

Post  camprn 7/30/2010, 7:45 pm

A little research suggests that wilt is a symptom of a few diseases carried by the cucumber beetle.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What is up with my cucumber plants? Empty Re: What is up with my cucumber plants?

Post  Megan 7/30/2010, 8:07 pm

Well, I tried the trick on the website you linked to, but the cut ends of my stems do not make a sticky rope connection.... ???
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

What is up with my cucumber plants? Empty What is up with my cucumber plants?

Post  Nicola 8/25/2010, 11:56 pm

Well, it's been a month, did you ever figure it out, and (I hope) cure it? We lost all of our cukes after the first half-dozen.
I did the ol' "Check with the extension agent", only I can look it up online. I found this information: Diseases caused by Bacteria:

Bacterial wilt, Erwinia tracheiphila.
Plants with this disease wilt quickly and may dry up so fast that the leaves remain green. When the stem is cut across, a sticky, white ooze may be seen. Bacterial wilt is not seedborne. The bacteria are carried from plant to plant by the feeding of the two-spotted and striped cucumber beetles.

Controlling the cucumber beetles will slow the spread of the bacterial wilt. Backyard gardeners may wish to cover their plants with spun-bonded polyester or floating row covers to keep out beetles. Planting extra seeds so that diseased plants may be removed at once will leave sufficient plants for a crop. Also, succession planting is helpful. Certain commercial varieties of cucumbers are somewhat resistant to bacterial wilt.
Here is the link to that: http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2815&q=377654 It includes all kinds of terrible stuff that can happen to cukes and their family. affraid
For more info on the Wilt, check:http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/veg/htms/cucbwilt.htm
And about those icky, evil (innocent-looking) No beetles:http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/veg/htms/cukbtltcrop.htm
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/26/2010, 6:31 am

I got a lot more than a half-dozen, but in the end I had to tear out the vines. Sad, but lesson learned. I am going to start spraying a lot earlier and much more aggressively next year.

The only thing I really regret is that I didn't get to put up any cucumber pickles. I was holding some in the fridge in hopes of getting just a few more... and by the time I realized that wasn't going to happen, the ones in the fridge had given up the ghost. Sad
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/26/2010, 6:39 am

Megan wrote:I got a lot more than a half-dozen, but in the end I had to tear out the vines. Sad, but lesson learned. I am going to start spraying a lot earlier and much more aggressively next year.

The only thing I really regret is that I didn't get to put up any cucumber pickles. I was holding some in the fridge in hopes of getting just a few more... and by the time I realized that wasn't going to happen, the ones in the fridge had given up the ghost. Sad
I had a similar problem with the cukes holding in the fridge, though I lost only about a pint worth of pickles. The good news is that my vines are perking up and producing again.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 8/26/2010, 11:14 am

Do you guys use the green veggie bags? I find that they really extend the storage time for fruit and vegetables. The ones I got at Whole Foods do a better job than the ones from CVS, but even those help.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/26/2010, 5:24 pm

miinva wrote:Do you guys use the green veggie bags? I find that they really extend the storage time for fruit and vegetables. The ones I got at Whole Foods do a better job than the ones from CVS, but even those help.

I didn't, and I should have. (Another lesson learned!) The Poonas do keep for a surprisingly long time, I just pushed it too far.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down