Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 Toplef10What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 I22gcj10What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 Toplef10What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 I22gcj10What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers

+9
CapeCoddess
newbeone
GloriaG
sanderson
countrynaturals
yolos
Scorpio Rising
RC3291
has55
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 Empty Re: What to Grow through Very Hot Summers

Post  yolos 6/25/2017, 8:59 pm

AlwaysHotinFL wrote:Came here for Okra, saw it in several posts, was not disappointed. Since I'm in (alwayshot)FL I'm pretty sure it'll produce for years and become a tree Wink . Also winners in the heat are my cherry tomatoes and cukes. Not to mention my perennial avocados and mangos Smile 

I'll have to try the asparagus beans as my Kentucky wonder aren't looking so hot! Have had a lot of pests and disease though.
Hmmm.  I thought Okra was an annual.  I found an article that says "Okra is grown as an annual crop in Florida, but it can be held for numerous months by mowing the plants and allowing regrowth."

http://www.ipmcenters.org/cropprofiles/docs/FLokra.pdf
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 Empty Re: What to Grow through Very Hot Summers

Post  countrynaturals 6/26/2017, 1:24 am

I know this isn't an sfg plant, but my asparagus has weathered the heat beautifully -- even better than the corn. Artichokes and strawberries don't seem to mind the heat, either, but again, not really sfg. Our fig trees don't mind the heat either, and they're also in direct sun. We will be eating figs next month and well into fall. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/10/2017, 10:49 pm

Not sure if basil was mentioned, but it does fine in the heat.

I just read about an Iraqi tomato that I'm definitely going to try next year -- Abu Rawan. The seeds are available from Baker Creek.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2017, 9:58 am

Suz, I tried both Abu Rawan and Basrawya. I have given up on them and did not bother this year. The tomatoes were small with thick skins. I will be following your experience with Abu next summer.

You may want to try Snow Fairy. Being such a compact plant, the tomatoes are well shaded. I even wrote a comment on the Baker Creek site. Oh, and try the Black Vernissage. I counted 74 tomatoes on one plant in the BTE. It's caged and I haven't been pruning suckers like I was supposed to.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/11/2017, 11:55 am

sanderson wrote:Suz,  I tried both Abu Rawan and Basrawya.  I have given up on them and did not bother this year.  The tomatoes were small with thick skins.  I will be following your experience with Abu next summer.

You may want to try Snow Fairy.  Being such a compact plant, the tomatoes are well shaded.  I even wrote a comment on the Baker Creek site.  Oh, and try the Black Vernissage.  I counted 74 tomatoes on one plant in the BTE.  It's caged and I haven't been pruning suckers like I was supposed to.  
Hmm,  thinking . How was the flavor on the Abu Rawans? If they're sweet, I wouldn't mind the size and skin. If not, I won't bother. I will add Snow Fairy and Black Vernissage to my list for next year. I've never bought from Baker Creek, but they seem to be well tuned in to our heat problems, so they are about to acquire a new customer. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2017, 12:57 pm

The best I can remember the Iraqi tomatoes were fairly bland. When Ken and I were in Missouri, we stopped by Baker Creek and browsed their selection. bounce I asked for a recommendation for hot Mediterranean summers. They had just started carrying the 2 tomatoes, basically salvaged from war torn Iraq, and since their summers are hot and dry, he suggested I try them. If I lived in the desert and they were the only tomatoes I could have, I would be happy.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/11/2017, 5:35 pm

sanderson wrote:The best I can remember the Iraqi tomatoes were fairly bland.  When Ken and I were in Missouri, we stopped by Baker Creek and browsed their selection.  bounce I asked for a recommendation for hot Mediterranean summers.  They had just started carrying the 2 tomatoes, basically salvaged from war torn Iraq, and since their summers are hot and dry, he suggested I try them.  If I lived in the desert and they were the only tomatoes I could have, I would be happy.
Thanks, Sanderson. I think I'll give them a try. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/13/2017, 12:21 pm

GloriaG wrote:Here in the Dallas area it's beginning to get hot. 

I just finished picking the last of the spring lettuce. Cukes are doing well in the shade.  Green beans and pole beans are both producing nicely. I'll get another picking or two from them.  I haven't pulled the onions, garlic and shallots yet.  Tomatoes are about finished.  They have more flowers but won't sett fruit in the heat.

For the summer I have Egg Plant, Red Malabar spinach, New Zealand spinach, Salad Burnett, Swiss Chard, melons, squash, sweet potatoes, okra and herbs.  A few Blackberries.  Peaches, Goji berries and apples are maturing. The Pomegranates and Passion Fruit haven't started to fruit yet.

In another week I'll plant the fall tomatoes and start other fall crops like peppers and winter squash.
gloriaG, what types of cucumbers are you growing. are they still doing well? If so can you post a picture. are the salad burnett and new zealand spinach still going? My malabar spinach is having fun in this heat.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/13/2017, 12:30 pm

Has, just jumping in here. Muncher cucumbers are producing well for the second year. Also, Pickling has just caught up on production.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/13/2017, 1:34 pm

sanderson wrote:Has, just jumping in here.  Muncher cucumbers are producing well for the second year.  Also, Pickling has just caught up on production.
are yours in the sun or under shade?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/13/2017, 2:33 pm

Arugula survives, too. I don't like it so mine is not well-loved and yet it's hanging in there. I'm starting to think that's the clue -- if I don't like it, it survives the summer. If it's something I really want, it croaks or languishes.  What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/13/2017, 3:20 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Arugula survives, too. I don't like it so mine is not well-loved and yet it's hanging in there. I'm starting to think that's the clue -- if I don't like it, it survives the summer. If it's something I really want, it croaks or languishes.  What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 671790
my Arugula died. will plant for fall. I like it, but it grows so fast for me to keep up with it. I'm going to compost or try dehydrating them this fall.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/13/2017, 4:08 pm

has55 wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:Arugula survives, too. I don't like it so mine is not well-loved and yet it's hanging in there. I'm starting to think that's the clue -- if I don't like it, it survives the summer. If it's something I really want, it croaks or languishes.  What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 671790
my Arugula died. will plant for fall. I like it, but it grows so fast for me to keep up with it. I'm going to compost or try dehydrating them this fall.
There ya go -- you like it and it dies. Devil plants! Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/13/2017, 4:19 pm

If I was having a hot summer, like we did the past 5 yrs, I'd try some Malabar spinach.
But alas, hi tomorrow is 68F.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 7/13/2017, 5:01 pm

I have a high of 102 tomorrow. Is that hot enough to count as "very hot"?
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/13/2017, 7:12 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:If I was having a hot summer, like we did the past 5 yrs, I'd try some Malabar spinach.
But alas, hi tomorrow is 68F.
it grows well in 68 degrees
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/14/2017, 11:48 am

Has,  mostly in the sun so far.  Typing on iPad. Only some west protection.  At coast enjoying the cool fog

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/14/2017, 12:11 pm

sanderson wrote:Has,  mostly in the sun so far.  Typing on iPad. Only some west protection.  At coast enjoying the cool fog
awesome. enjoy.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/2/2017, 10:34 am

Bumping this for Ihopetogrow. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 Empty Can't Take The Heat!

Post  countrynaturals 8/12/2017, 11:51 am

I am becoming an expert on summer survival and frustration. I can get most things through it, even if they don't produce until fall, but there are a few exceptions. 

Cilantro

Lemon Balm

They just curled up and died. Period. I kept their cousins going -- parsley and mint, however. In the interest of full disclosure, the lemon balm was new and in a small container. Started earlier and in the ground, it may have survived. I'll try that next year.

Anybody else have experience with what NOT to grow if your summers are long and hot?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/12/2017, 12:35 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I am becoming an expert on summer survival and frustration. I can get most things through it, even if they don't produce until fall, but there are a few exceptions. 

Cilantro

Lemon Balm

They just curled up and died. Period. I kept their cousins going -- parsley and mint, however. In the interest of full disclosure, the lemon balm was new and in a small container. Started earlier and in the ground, it may have survived. I'll try that next year.

Anybody else have experience with what NOT to grow if your summers are long and hot?
Well, obviously cool crops won't do well in the heat. Like cilantro, lettuces, brassicas etc. Just like heat loving plants won't do well in cool temps. Plant for the seasons. Weather is not always going to be the same year to year, and there will be extremes like perhaps you're experiencing now. I'm guessing a lot of us gardeners have been through the same. There are all kinds of things you can do to extend seasons, or try and help with heat, shade and the like. But sometimes you will have extremes that can just be to much.

What to Grow through Very Hot Summers - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/12/2017, 1:57 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:I am becoming an expert on summer survival and frustration. I can get most things through it, even if they don't produce until fall, but there are a few exceptions. 

Cilantro

Lemon Balm

Well, obviously cool crops won't do well in the heat. Like cilantro, lettuces, brassicas etc. Just like heat loving plants won't do well in cool temps. Plant for the seasons. Weather is not always going to be the same year to year, and there will be extremes like perhaps you're experiencing now. I'm guessing a lot of us gardeners have been through the same. There are all kinds of things you can do to extend seasons, or try and help with heat, shade and the like. But sometimes you will have extremes that can just be to much.
I was ecstatic to discover 2 exceptions to the rules. I've kept carrots and kale producing all year long, even through extended record-breaking heat. cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2