Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? Toplef10What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? I22gcj10What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? Toplef10What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? I22gcj10What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

+19
newbeone
Fiz
Robbomb116
AlwaysHotinFL
yolos
jimmy cee
floyd1440
audrey.jeanne.roberts
llama momma
trolleydriver
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
landarch
CapeCoddess
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
countrynaturals
BeetlesPerSqFt
Judy McConnell
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? Empty What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

Post  Judy McConnell 8/25/2016, 12:58 pm

My big "won't try again" are Rutgers tomatoes - they diseased early and produced few fruit.  They were pulled this am and the MM will go into a flower box.

Radishes and beets (I'm guessing because of the weird weather) did nothing - will try them again in early Sept.   Too late to re-try pole beans - don't know what happened there.  But, next year - look out!!
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? Empty Re: What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/25/2016, 2:29 pm

In the failed but going to try again category I have several herbs and some greens (notably orach... isn't that supposed to be an easy, weedy one?) that I either couldn't get to germinate or couldn't get to thrive. I'll try again next year, possibly with new seed packets from different companies. (There wasn't any company that I had a consistent problem with.) I also still trying to dial in the best timing for my radishes, beets, and cool season greens.

Tomatoes: Sweetie cherry tomato- keep!, Chadwick cherry tomato - pass (very healthy, and not at all bad, but I prefer Sweetie's size and flavor), Rutgers - reduce # (disease/growth problems here, too), Green Zebra - keep!, Black Krim - keep, undecided about growing same # -- bad cracking problems.

I'm uncertain about growing cowpeas and long beans again. I won't be growing intermediate (or short) day onions next year - long day seems to be the way to go for my location. I won't be growing Thai hot peppers next year - the yield from this year looks like it will last me for a few years. I probably won't grow Grey zucchini again - I'll be growing the Table Dainty vining zucchinis, and I might try out a PMR bush variety if I can find one. (Powdery Mildew Resistant.)

I'm going to skip Sierra Gold Canteloupe next year so that I can try Minnesota Midget. I haven't tried the SG canteloupes yet (not ripe yet) but I know I want a plant that tends to be smaller and earlier.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow?? Empty Re: What won't you grow next year or are still trying to grow??

Post  countrynaturals 8/25/2016, 5:26 pm

Vine peach -- YUK! They're nothing but round salty cucumbers. They are very productive, however, and no problems with pests or disease, so if you put salt on your cukes anyway, you might like them.

No more vines when bush varieties are available. Maybe there are other considerations I'm not aware of, but all of my vine plants grew huge, got in the way, and (so far) have produced very little. Next year I'll go for the more compact bush varieties whenever possible.

I will grow dwarf blue curly kale all year round. I got a late start and only planted a few because I thought they'd die in our summer heat, but it didn't bother them a bit. They got through summer better than any of my summer crops -- go figure.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/25/2016, 10:13 pm

So far:  Never before have I grown a determinate paste type tomato, will do a couple plants, very nice to use in the wonderful LlamaMama crockpot sauce!  They were a gift, so no idea what they were.  Little, round.  Meaty.

Tomatoes:  Yes: Ox Heart--need better support!  Sungold cherry, Cherokee Purple, but had radial crack....and Great White.  Maybe one:  German Green.  

Peppers:  Yes to all:  sweet banana, Big Red, and King of the North--all great!

Ground cherries: yes!  

Beets, carrots, radishes, lettuces, spinach absolutely!  Matchless lettuce sticks out as a major yummy thing.  Black Seeded Simpson also.  Would not bother with the Kaleidoscope carrots, I like the Tendersweet and sugar Snax in that order.  Best radish was sparkler and white icicle/French breakfast.  

Patty pans squash:  yes, but again too many.  Had volunteers in the compost pile and did not want nor need them.

Kale:  Dwarf blue Vates, undecided....why do people grow this?  It was HUGE.  And honestly was still vigorous when I pulled the 2" thick stemmed thing out because I have no idea what to do with it......thinking

Yukon Gold potatoes:  Absolutely

Melons:  Sakatas Sweet, Minnesota Midget yes for sure!  Very tasty and productive!  

Watermelons:  Blacktail Mountain:  To Be Determined.

Onions:  I have 2 out there....no idea.  Honest.  IDK.

Cukes: Beit Alpha--the bomb.  No skin, no seeds sweet and tasty.  Not a pickle.

Pole beans:  Blauhilde purple beans, amazing taste, texture, production.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 8/25/2016, 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Stupid punctuation)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/26/2016, 12:52 am

I forgot about Armenian cucumbers -- my BEST crop so far. Heat tolerant. Long, straight, beautiful fruit. Crisp, mild flavor. Highly productive. That's an exception to my vine vs bush rule. Can't say enough good stuff about these guys.   cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/26/2016, 4:12 am

This is an interesting question.  One thing I will make more use of the BTE or in-ground garden strip where the sunflowers are.  Really amend the ground with fresh horse manure in the fall and cover back up with wood chips.  I will put the determinant tomatoes in half of it with cages.  The indeterminant tomatoes will go in the newest 2 x 7' bed because it has nice overhead supports.  I will save the beds for root crops, greens, herbs, peppers, eggplant, and trellis crops.  The beds also have PVC frames for bridal tulle or other covers for precious crops.  

Tomatoes - Quit trying to grow heirlooms like a homesteader.  Embarassed  It's just too hard to grow them n the brutal hot and dry summer.  I will try varieties that are hybrids or have numbers or letters!  Very Happy Yes again to Snow Fairy, Sun Gold and Roma.  All the others will be the new packages.

No more okra in a bed.  Maybe at the north end of the BTE strip if at all.

No more winter onions, unless I find a short day variety.

Cantaloupes - no more MN midget, just Hales, Thai Golden Round, and maybe try one Sugar watermelon.

Cucumbers - yes to Armenian as a new one, and Muncher again.  No more lemon or apple.

Maybe try tomatillos in the BTE strip but no more trying in the large containers.

This is my 4th summer so I've got a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't for me.  This year there were aphids, grasshoppers, leaf-footed beetle, green worms (where I was careless), tomato worms, scale, red mites and Curly Top Virus (not to be confused with the Leaf Curl Virus in 2014!).  The Eight Plagues.  But no powdery mildew at all!!!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/26/2016, 3:22 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I probably won't grow Grey zucchini again - I'll be growing the Table Dainty vining zucchinis, and I might try out a PMR bush variety if I can find one. (Powdery Mildew Resistant.)

'Dunja' is supposedly PM resistant.  I keep trying to find out but haven't been able to get it to stay alive yet due to SVB.  Maybe you can.  My neighbor had great beginners luck with the little start I gave her last year and kept the zucchini bread a'comin.

Every spring my battle cry is "I WILL PREVAIL!".
neener
CC

Last edited by CapeCoddess on 8/26/2016, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/26/2016, 3:26 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
I will grow dwarf blue curly kale all year round. I got a late start and only planted a few because I thought they'd die in our summer heat, but it didn't bother them a bit. They got through summer better than any of my summer crops -- go figure.

Dwarf Blue Curly is an old favorite in my SFG. It gets thru everything and keeps on truckin. And the leaves seem to be more tender than other kales, to me anyway, making it great for smoothies and salads.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 8/26/2016, 5:08 pm

I will not grow broccoli or cauliflower again...too many years of dedicating time and space to starting seeds indoors, grow lights, watering, planting, keeping cabbage loopers away and no heads forming...too easy to buy at the market and focus on other things.

I will not grow Kale again...easy to grow but did not like it vs. the space it took.

I will probably not grow san marzano tomatoes again...found other productive roma types instead.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 8/26/2016, 7:11 pm

I don't think I'll grow very many hot peppers next year. I'm the only one in the house that eats them! I'm glad I never gave up on sweet peppers, because this year we got a bumper crop. The only think I'd drop completely is carrots though. They take forever- and are super shrimpy.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/26/2016, 8:19 pm

Landarch, what more productive paste type tomatoes?  I had 2 given to me, they were great making Llamamama's sauce but I have no idea what they are!

I really have kale regrets....it is so expensive and touted superfood....what do ya do with it? It grows literally like a weed.  Huge.  I don't know....

I am not making smoothies.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 8/26/2016, 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grumpy. Not a blender person.)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/26/2016, 8:52 pm

Sanderson, you should not grow MN Midgets!  You should grow the amazing Indiana melons that are like sugar! I am not sure what they are.  Grow the ones we can't!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/26/2016, 9:34 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Sanderson, you should not grow MN Midgets!  You should grow the amazing Indiana melons that are like sugar! I am not sure what they are.  Grow the ones we can't!
What?  Shocked I just planted MN Midgets. What's wrong with growing them?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/26/2016, 9:36 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:

Dwarf Blue Curly is an old favorite in my SFG.  It gets thru everything and keeps on truckin.  And the leaves seem to be more tender than other kales, to me anyway, making it great for smoothies and salads.

CC
And our rabbit loves it, too. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/26/2016, 9:40 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Landarch, what more productive paste type tomatoes?  I had 2 given to me, they were great making Llamamama's sauce but I have no idea what they are!

I really have kale regrets....it is so expensive and touted superfood....what do ya do with it? It grows literally like a weed.  Huge.  I don't know....

I am not making smoothies.
I grow the dwarf blue kale and pick when the leaves are lettuce-size. We boil them in ham juice, drain, then cut up a hard-boiled egg in them. Yummy. I made the mistake of growing the large-leaf kale one year (don't know what variety) but I let it grow too big and it was tough and bitter. Lesson learned. Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/26/2016, 9:50 pm

Nothing is wrong with MN Midgets!  What a Face

They are wonderful, sweet, and prolific, but if I could grow a longer season cantaloupe, I would.  I am sorry if I gave off any bad vibes....they are great yummy early melons for eating.  One of my faves!

If I could grow the Indiana type or sugar rock, I would.  They are much larger, and just as delicious!  And super sweet.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/26/2016, 9:54 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Sanderson, you should not grow MN Midgets!  You should grow the amazing Indiana melons that are like sugar! I am not sure what they are.  Grow the ones we can't!
What?  Shocked I just planted MN Midgets. What's wrong with growing them?
Not a thing! You will love them!  I just wish I could grow the long season melons!  But the shorties taste just as good, just a lot smaller.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  reynajrainwater 8/26/2016, 10:18 pm

Watermelon. I gave up on it last year. I planted it both in the spring and fall. Between the two seasons I ended with 3 watermelons which all split when they were all a little bit larger than a softball.
reynajrainwater
reynajrainwater

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/26/2016, 11:56 pm

CN, I think my mid-short day latitude is not the best for MN Midgets. The Hales (?) does better.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/27/2016, 12:38 am

sanderson wrote:CN,  I think my mid-short day latitude is not the best for MN Midgets.  The Hales (?) does better.
Well, that's not good, considering my Hales gave me one whole melon. Mad There's a chance it will revive now that the weather is cooler, but I'm not holding my breath.  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/27/2016, 9:32 am

Some of my SFG boxes have flowers (marigold, calendula and nasturtium) planted in them, especially in the corner squares. The flowers are pretty, add colour to the beds, and can be used for cut flowers or even for eating. Some plants like the marigolds help with insect control. However, these plants tend to get quite big and overflow their squares which impacts the growing of veggies in the adjacent squares. I either need to do a better job of cutting them back, controlling them, or perhaps use less squares for flowers in the future. It's not like we don't have a zillion other places to grow flowers in our garden.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/27/2016, 10:08 am

I put 4 marigolds in a square and have to do major pruning. They don't seem bothered at all by pruning.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/27/2016, 10:36 am

Someone asked what good Kale is for?  I'll tell you a very important use  Smile

My sweet hubby was diagnosed with pre-macular degeneration (his dad has it full blown in his 90s).  The doctor prescribed vitamins and they helped so-so in bringing his pigment count back up.  In a phone conversation with her she mentioned eating dark green leafy vegetables, so I suggested to him that we juice my kale and swiss chard and he could mix it with v8 (he's not a fan of kale etc or green juices).  

In just over a month his pigment counts went from around 19 to 45 and have stayed up since.  I can literally see the difference in his eyes - the pupils were getting a faded washed out look and they're now back to beautiful chocolate brown! 

We juice the greens and then he freezes them into ice cubes and has one each morning and evening mixed with v8 and his fiber.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/27/2016, 11:01 am

That is interesting, thanks, Audrey.  I think I would purée them and freeze in cubes to use later in stuff.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/27/2016, 3:00 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Someone asked what good Kale is for?  I'll tell you a very important use  Smile

My sweet hubby was diagnosed with pre-macular degeneration (his dad has it full blown in his 90s).  The doctor prescribed vitamins and they helped so-so in bringing his pigment count back up.  In a phone conversation with her she mentioned eating dark green leafy vegetables, so I suggested to him that we juice my kale and swiss chard and he could mix it with v8 (he's not a fan of kale etc or green juices).  

In just over a month his pigment counts went from around 19 to 45 and have stayed up since.  I can literally see the difference in his eyes - the pupils were getting a faded washed out look and they're now back to beautiful chocolate brown! 

We juice the greens and then he freezes them into ice cubes and has one each morning and evening mixed with v8 and his fiber.

I love that story! I'm a huge fan of greens because of the nutrient content. I sometimes think they can cure just about anything, and my health guru, Dr. Fuhrman, agrees.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next