Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Southern Illinois Toplef10Hello from Southern Illinois 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Southern Illinois I22gcj10Hello from Southern Illinois 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Southern Illinois Toplef10Hello from Southern Illinois 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Southern Illinois I22gcj10Hello from Southern Illinois 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Southern Illinois

+4
Scorpio Rising
AtlantaMarie
BeetlesPerSqFt
ckar0321
8 posters

Go down

Hello from Southern Illinois Empty Hello from Southern Illinois

Post  ckar0321 3/16/2017, 10:25 am

Greetings to all gardeners!

Charles here from near Rend Lake in Southern Illinois.

I have been gardening in this area for what will be my 7th year, and have a 52' x 25' (give or take) conventional row garden with several fence trellises.

Did my first tilling on 03/03, but it has since turned cold with biggest snowfall so far this year occurring on 03/13 with around 2" on the ground. Snow melted later that day, but lows have been in the lower 20's for the past two nights.

I have a row of radishes in the ground, and waiting to see whether they survived the freeze when I pull back the straw later today. Also garlic was planted last Thanksgiving and was doing well before the cold snap.

Looking to possibly convert some of my space to raised beds, and thought this forum might be a good place to start.

Biggest challenge here are the weeds (especially grasses) which I usually lose control of by July or so.

Hoping that raised beds will allow more production and better weed management in a smaller space, but will need to start with a limited approach -- too many projects and too little time...

Charles
ckar0321
ckar0321

Back to top Go down

Hello from Southern Illinois Empty Re: Hello from Southern Illinois

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 3/16/2017, 7:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, Charles! glad you\'re here

I'm in central Pennsylvania, this is my 3rd year of square foot gardening. I converted more of my garden to raised beds this year partly because it does allow for better weed control. Using Mel's Mix (MM -- peat moss, vermiculite, and a blend of 5 finished composts) means you are starting with a weed-free substrate -- and creating something that it is easy to pull the weeds out of if/once weed seeds blow in.

If grasses are a problem then you will want to make sure the paths around your raised bed are not grass. I've had issues with creeping grasses at the borders of my boxes finding their way up and in. I believe more than one person here has recommended a layer or two of cardboard, covered with woodchips (do I have that right, guys?) for paths to help prevent that. Also, cardboard with overlap of a few inches between pieces, or weedblock, under the bed to make sure you kill the grass underneath it.  

You should definitely start small. Try a single 4x4 bed, grow some of the same vegetables in your regular garden, and compare the results at the end of the year. My experience is that my raised beds with Mel's Mix need more water than my in-ground garden areas, but this could be a quirk of what composts I used, the varieties of plants I chose, my climate, etc. -- but I definitely prefer watering a little more frequently over more/harder weeding!

Do you have a copy of the All New Square Foot Gardening book yet?
What is your favorite vegetable? (or maybe top five - I'd have a hard time picking one!)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/16/2017, 9:25 pm

Hi Charles. Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

I know about that too many projects thing... And the raised beds WILL help with weed control. But you still have to stay on top of it. Mulch is your best friend...

Glad you're here! :-)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/16/2017, 10:12 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Welcome to the forum, Charles! glad you\'re here

I'm in central Pennsylvania, this is my 3rd year of square foot gardening. I converted more of my garden to raised beds this year partly because it does allow for better weed control. Using Mel's Mix (MM -- peat moss, vermiculite, and a blend of 5 finished composts) means you are starting with a weed-free substrate -- and creating something that it is easy to pull the weeds out of if/once weed seeds blow in.

If grasses are a problem then you will want to make sure the paths around your raised bed are not grass. I've had issues with creeping grasses at the borders of my boxes finding their way up and in. I believe more than one person here has recommended a layer or two of cardboard, covered with woodchips (do I have that right, guys?) for paths to help prevent that. Also, cardboard with overlap of a few inches between pieces, or weedblock, under the bed to make sure you kill the grass underneath it.  

You should definitely start small. Try a single 4x4 bed, grow some of the same vegetables in your regular garden, and compare the results at the end of the year. My experience is that my raised beds with Mel's Mix need more water than my in-ground garden areas, but this could be a quirk of what composts I used, the varieties of plants I chose, my climate, etc. -- but I definitely prefer watering a little more frequently over more/harder weeding!

Do you have a copy of the All New Square Foot Gardening book yet?
What is your favorite vegetable? (or maybe top five - I'd have a hard time picking one!)
First off, Welcome!  

Beetles nailed it!  I have never converted a garden from conventional to SFG, but had done both before arriving at my present situation.  

In my experience, MMbeds do need more water, but they are in direct 24 hour sun...where my other areas get some shade.  

I do think you should get and read ANSFG, 2nd Ed.  it just takes a lot of the work out of the whole process.

Keep us posted?

glad you\'re here
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/16/2017, 11:52 pm

Greetings from Coastal NC
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2017, 3:57 am

Charles,  Welcome to the Forum from California!  glad you\'re here I'm staggered by the amount of room you have for gardening.  Shocked It's slightly larger than my entire backyard.  Totally jealous.  I had to get out paper and pencil and I came up with 384 sq. ft. of square foot beds.  That allows for a recommended 3' wide walkway around the perimeter and 3' isles between the 12 beds, each 4' x 8'.  Imagine not having to ever till or weed this area again.

It's already been suggested that you read All New Square Foot Gardening, 1st or 2nd edition, by Mel Bartholomew, the Founder and author.  You will refer to the book so try to buy your own copy.  Level the area you want to start with.  Lay down cardboard or commercial weed fabric (my preference) over the whole working area.  Set your frames with 3' isles between and start making and filling with Mel's Mix.  Dump wood chips (or thick layer of bedding straw) in the isles.  No more dirt with its weeds.  No bed wider than 4' so you can reach everything without stepping into the beds.  The typical 4' x 4' and the longer but skinnier 2' x 8' beds are great to work with.  The only thing I change about SFG is that my beds are made from 2" x 8" boards or 2 tiers of 2" x 4" studs.  This allows a good 6" of Mel's Mix plus some headroom for straw mulch to keep the soil cool in the summer and reduce surface evaporation.

I hope Mr. Booker sees this post.  He will testify how great it is to SFG instead of row garden.  He posted a photo of the lot across the street that he used to row garden.  The current gardener had basically given up with all the grass and weeds that over took the row garden.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 3/17/2017, 6:02 am

ckar0321 wrote:Greetings to all gardeners!

Charles here from near Rend Lake in Southern Illinois.

I have been gardening in this area for what will be my 7th year, and have a 52' x 25' (give or take) conventional row garden with several fence trellises.

Did my first tilling on 03/03, but it has since turned cold with biggest snowfall so far this year occurring on 03/13 with around 2" on the ground. Snow melted later that day, but lows have been in the lower 20's for the past two nights.

I have a row of radishes in the ground, and waiting to see whether they survived the freeze when I pull back the straw later today. Also garlic was planted last Thanksgiving and was doing well before the cold snap.

Looking to possibly convert some of my space to raised beds, and thought this forum might be a good place to start.

Biggest challenge here are the weeds (especially grasses) which I usually lose control of by July or so.

Hoping that raised beds will allow more production and better weed management in a smaller space, but will need to start with a limited approach -- too many projects and too little time...

Charles
Greetings from Millstadt, Illinois neighbor. glad you\'re here to this forum.  I'm about 70 miles from you.   There's enough information on this site, you'll never have to look elsewhere.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Hello from Southern Illinois Empty Former Southern Illinoisian

Post  mlpii66 3/23/2017, 9:04 pm

Hello

I was raised in a small town between Marion and Carbondale.  I have never been able to grow tomatoes anywhere else that can capture the taste of a good black dirt S.I. tomato.  I'm in Idaho and they turned out OK last year but still lacking that S.I. "something".  Visited my family at Christmas and just couldn't get over the smell of that superior earth!

Best of luck to you.

Mark
mlpii66
mlpii66

Male Posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/23/2017, 9:19 pm

Oh yeah, you are in for a great season!  SFGing is A-Mazing!

No concerns about what is in your dirt--no dirt!

Mel's Mix!  Vermiculite, peat, and at least 5 types of compost, you will get the bestest tasting WHATEVER you ever grew!

cheers cherry
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 3/24/2017, 4:23 am

mlpii66 wrote:Hello

I was raised in a small town between Marion and Carbondale.  I have never been able to grow tomatoes anywhere else that can capture the taste of a good black dirt S.I. tomato.  I'm in Idaho and they turned out OK last year but still lacking that S.I. "something".  Visited my family at Christmas and just couldn't get over the smell of that superior earth!

Best of luck to you.

Mark
You are correct about the S/W Illinois soil. Even though I have raised beds, I also have one special place where I grow tomatoes "in ground" and there IS a difference.

I live in Millstadt, Illinois near Belleville. It's a small farming town rich in German history. I live across from the old feed mill built back in mid 1800's and still operating today. They say, well over 100 years ago, farmers used to bring their grain to the mill in horse drawn wagons. They would sell their grain and party all night and stay at the "Millstadt hotel", also still open today.

I guess you'd say we're just a town full of beer drinking, redneck, flag flying folks. Hello from Southern Illinois 3170584802
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 4/13/2017, 10:21 pm

MrBooker wrote:

Best of luck to you.

Mark
You are correct about the S/W Illinois soil. Even though I have raised beds, I also have one special place where I grow tomatoes "in ground" and there IS a difference.

I live in Millstadt, Illinois near Belleville. It's a small farming town rich in German history. I live across from the old feed mill built back in mid 1800's and still operating today. They say, well over 100 years ago, farmers used to bring their grain to the mill in horse drawn wagons. They would sell their grain and party all night and stay at the "Millstadt hotel", also still open today.

I guess you'd say we're just a town full of beer drinking, redneck, flag flying folks. Hello from Southern Illinois 3170584802
Know it pretty well.  Stationed at Scott AFB for five years as well as growing up near Carbondale. Isn't there a little German restaurant in Millstadt?  I was also stationed in Germany and that place was as authentic as I've had in the states!  Ever make it to the Thresher-man's Show in Pinkneyville?  Old steam tractors running threshers and all sorts of antique implements. Antique tractors pulls, fair food... Just can't beat the sights sounds and smells of all that.
mlpii66
mlpii66

Male Posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 4/14/2017, 6:43 am

mlpii66 wrote:
MrBooker wrote:

Best of luck to you.

Mark

Know it pretty well.  Stationed at Scott AFB for five years as well as growing up near Carbondale. Isn't there a little German restaurant in Millstadt?  I was also stationed in Germany and that place was as authentic as I've had in the states!  Ever make it to the Thresher-man's Show in Pinkneyville?  Old steam tractors running threshers and all sorts of antique implements. Antique tractors pulls, fair food... Just can't beat the sights sounds and smells of all that.
Never made it to the Pinkneyville thing. The German restaurant you speak of "The Farmer's Inn" is now a Mexican restaurant. There is another old restaurant called "OTT's Tavern". It was owned by Otto Spicenger
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down