Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois Toplef10New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois I22gcj10New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois Toplef10New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois I22gcj10New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What is Common Rail Injector Nozzle 0 433 171 966 & Common Rail Injector Nozzle 0 433 171 968
by lutong Today at 9:33 pm

» How to choose Ve Fuel Pump BHF4PM105001 & VE distributor pump 4944883
by lutong Today at 9:28 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Today at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois

5 posters

Go down

New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois Empty New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois

Post  ricksanders 2/4/2016, 4:26 pm

Hey folks.  Got a copy of The New SFG for Christmas and have begun preparations for a bountiful harvest this year.  Little experience, but high energy-at least for now.  I hope to get all the information I can from the forums.  Smile
ricksanders
ricksanders

Male Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois Empty Re: New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois

Post  sanderson 2/4/2016, 5:10 pm

High, Rick. Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here Glad you have a copy of the book as you will refer to it many times. We welcome questions and love photos! We are here to help and cheer you on.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois Empty Re: New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/4/2016, 6:47 pm

ricksanders wrote:Hey folks.  Got a copy of The New SFG for Christmas and have begun preparations for a bountiful harvest this year.  Little experience, but high energy-at least for now.  I hope to get all the information I can from the forums.  Smile

Hi, Rick, and welcome from Ohio! Have you ever gardened? You will learn as much or more from your journey as you will here! Looking forward to hearing your plans, and make sure to check out the archived material , searchable in the upper left on this site.

Goose Girl & I might be your regional hosts, depending on how far south and your microclimate! cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/4/2016, 7:40 pm

Hi Rick. Welcome from Atlanta, GA! Glad you've joined us...

I second what Sanderson & SR have said! Let us know how we can help. :-)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

New SFG enthusiast from Southern Illinois Empty New SFG from Southern Illinois

Post  ricksanders 2/4/2016, 8:18 pm

We are located in Edwardsville, Illinois, just east of St. Louis MO.  In looking at the regions, I'm guessing that I am in the "Upper South".  Not a clear connection in any of the regions for Illinois.  I could use some guidance in what region I fall into.

Have done some minor row gardening in the past - Lima beans, corn, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, etc., with not a lot of success. Learned a lot about what not to do.  SFG makes so much more sense, and my son (in the Denver area) is a big advocate of the process.  When I got the book for Christmas, the gauntlet had already been set.

Planning 4 boxes - 2 end-to-end with vertical gardening in the two northern most ends.  Have a full schedule going, with a single spreadsheet showing the boxes and squares for starting, transplanting, and harvesting.  Have most of my MM ingredients, except the compost - still collecting different varieties, while working on a small compost spot in the back yard. Already have some seeds started - but mostly herbs that I intend to put in pots and planters for the patio.  I have planted some pepper seeds and will hold them until mid May before I transplant.  Have the boxes built, the grids made, the trellis (elec conduit) constructed, and am now working on the coverings for the boxes.

I have a dog who loves to dig, and my biggest concern right now is how I will keep her out of the beds.

Really looking forward to this spring. I'm sure I'll surf the topics in posts and find a lot of answers.
ricksanders
ricksanders

Male Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/5/2016, 12:30 am

glad you\'re here  rick happy hi 
from Kelejan :canada: 

I am sure you will enjoy this Forum.  People here are warm and friendly and helpful.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/5/2016, 7:37 am

Rick sounds like you are well on your way! To tell which region you are in, find out your hardiness zone and frost free dates...might clue you in. I bet you are right as far as Upper South though. Illinois is a tall state!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/5/2016, 1:20 pm

For the dog, you might consider planting forks (tine-side up). Works for cats too...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down