Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+64
CapeCoddess
suseine
DorothyG
OhioGardener
Dunkinjean
ispinwool
Windsor.Parker
BlackjackWidow
farmersgranddaughter
Ellen62
meatburner
SQWIB
yolos
Turan
aliceingardenland
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
plantoid
littlejo
Roseinarosecity
BeetlesPerSqFt
LizDTM
stealthmayhem
ColleenW
brianj555
dixie
bigdogrock
VJ72584
No_Such_Reality
Greenbeard
citizenz
SwampTroll
Fiz
hammock gal
Mimi2
greatgranny
walshevak
Robbomb116
donnainzone5
camprn
Judy McConnell
GloriaG
RC3291
AlwaysHotinFL
Banned Member
GWN
Mellen
dstack
Ginger Blue
herblover
MrBooker
newbeone
reynajrainwater
AtlantaMarie
Cajun Cappy
CitizenKate
audrey.jeanne.roberts
kauairosina
trolleydriver
momvet
NAR56
Kelejan
llama momma
68 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  brianj555 11/2/2017, 6:57 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 60257510
I finally got some good tomatoes cheers and a little bit of lettuce.  
Note: the cheese croutons and paper plate were not grown in the ANSFG!Very Happy
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  countrynaturals 11/6/2017, 5:08 pm

A perfect little burpless cucumber. I can't believe my garden is still producing with our nights in the mid 30s. cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/6/2017, 6:02 pm

Home made chicken soup .
Alison pressure cooked the carcass from Saturday evening meal , used home canned 1/3 pint of tomatoes  & some home grown celery & five home grown onions + shop purchased carrots to make the basic stock yesterday evening .

I stripped it all today ,sieved out the big lumps .  the cooked celery & hunks of carrots are to be part of the dogs evening meal & tomorrows breakfast .

The stock got another three caramelised onions & a level teaspoon of polish seasoning salt pus a fine diced carrot .   Once it was to a rolling boil Alison  added a table spoon of pearl barley & pulses soup mix

It was then simmered for a  hour or so till the barley jellied a little .
 added a teaspoon of corn flower & 1/4 cup of milk to thicken & cream it a little .

The three of us had it with home baked bread for tea to night ... still 1 & 1/2 pints left for lunch tomorrow .

Verdict Delicious ......... indeed .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 11/6/2017, 8:46 pm

Lunch was Bok Choy and Pineapple Salad with Peanut Dressing - using my bok choy and scallions:
  https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/bok-choy-and-pineapple-salad-with-peanut-dressing-30351
I made my own spicy peanut dressing (doctored up Thai Kitchen peanut satay sauce) since the reviews were mixed on the one included in the recipe. I added krab. I really enjoyed it! I look forward to having it again, if my bok choy can mature before it gets too cold under the frost covers.

Dinner was nachoes because it's nacho day (first I've heard of this, but why not.) I used more scallions and some of my poblanos.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/7/2017, 2:49 pm

countrynaturals wrote:A perfect little burpless cucumber. I can't believe my garden is still producing with our nights in the mid 30s. cheers
And now another one! happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/7/2017, 8:48 pm

All your goodies sound wonderful!!!

Tonight, I ate the last of my Yukon Gold potatoes.  They are yummy, sweet, buttery,  Why the last you say?  

OK, my first year. I did YG taters.  They grew the whole season, and made many pounds of spuds...in my old boxes which are deep .  

Fast forward...trying to get double duty on some squares, I succession planted the YGs.  They did OK...ish.

This year,took too many liberties and it just didn’t work.  

Back to plan A
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/8/2017, 2:27 pm

"Back to Plan A."  We gardeners learn a lot from our mistakes, more so than from our successes as SFGners are adventurous.

Suz, Don't you just love valiant plants!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/8/2017, 2:39 pm

sanderson wrote:"Back to Plan A."  We gardeners learn a lot from our mistakes, more so than from our successes as SFGners are adventurous.

Suz, Don't you just love valiant plants!
Absolutely! Our weather is supposed to be nasty for the next 10 days, but not getting any colder, so anything that's still alive should make it for another couple of weeks. Maybe I can still get a few tomatillos? tomatilloes? Whatever. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/8/2017, 8:14 pm

Yes, sanderson, I did a lot of things right in yr 1....and lot of things not right!  LOL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Empty What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  newbeone 11/9/2017, 9:54 am

Watermelon the last one for the season the tail was not completely dead yet but last night it got down to 50*, now I know you northern people don't think 50 is cold but the old blood gets a mite thin down here so now I can stay in where it's warm. pretend it's summer and enjoy my watermelon.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/11/2017, 4:10 pm

Newbeone,  I foresee you eating sweet potatoes in your future.   Wink   What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

I ate the last little cantaloupe. I picked it green last week and let it ripen in the window. It was delish! happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 11/24/2017, 3:08 pm

For the first time in many years. we had tomatoes "from the garden" at Thanksgiving. So glad the first frost held off until early November and the tomatoes ripened in the house. Onions and kale added to the meal.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/27/2017, 3:09 pm

I have a few green tomatoes I'm hoping will blush before December freeze. Otherwise, I will try fried green tomatoes. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/27/2017, 5:52 pm

Today home grown red onions in a home made beef broth with home made tomato mush soup plus a shop brought carrot , celery & a leaf  of savoy cabbage . Heaped teaspoon of the Polish seasoning salt .. cook onions for 15 min add carrots cook 15 min  then add rest of veg cook 5 min ad stock & toms cook 12 min . 

It's a very slurp-able soup indeed , will even better tomorrow with a grating or three of home smoked hard cheese on it .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/27/2017, 9:49 pm

drooling

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 11/27/2017, 10:55 pm

Last night - pressure-cooked collard greens. Delicious. Better than kale.

Today - shriveling peppers, indoor-ripened tomatoes, wilted leeks, and volunteer mustard greens (served with eggs and cheese.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Empty what are you eating from your garden today?

Post  newbeone 11/28/2017, 3:19 pm

Yesterday had a big salad using fresh from the garden Malabar spinach, New Zealand Spinach. young mustard leaves, a few sweet basil leaves and home grown Tomatoes, been picking the tomatoes as soon as they get a blush to ripen inside to take the strain off the plants as the nights are now going below 50* now.  Today we had a tomato and Malabar spinach sandwich on toasted rye with a cup of soup.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/29/2017, 12:22 pm

I picked this carrot and had my share for breakfast. Frankie (rabbit) will get his share as a mid-morning snack. This was the biggest, fattest, tastiest carrot I've ever grown. I'm pretty sure I can grow them year-round and have a home-grown carrot to eat every day of the year. happy turtle
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Carrot10
I never said it was pretty. Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/30/2017, 11:04 pm

Rattlesnake beans I harvested in the summer, cooked and then froze in food saver bags.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/1/2017, 12:02 am

Butternut (Burpee's Butterbush) squash as part of Thanksgiving part II. I feel like I should switch to a powdery mildew resistant variety, but this variety has a lot going for it: intense orange. concentrated flavor, and compact growth for the limited full-sun space my front porch.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/1/2017, 3:33 am

yolos wrote:Rattlesnake beans I harvested in the summer, cooked and then froze in food saver bags.
Isn't it neat to freeze summer harvests in Seal-a-Meal bags?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/1/2017, 8:59 pm

sanderson wrote:
yolos wrote:Rattlesnake beans I harvested in the summer, cooked and then froze in food saver bags.
Isn't it neat to freeze summer harvests in Seal-a-Meal bags?  
I love it.  Especially if I cook a big old pot of beans and then freeze them in single dinner size packs.  Just plunge the frozen food saver bag of beans in a pot with boiling water and they will defrost and warm up nicely.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/2/2017, 3:41 pm

Yolos, I just keep on learning from you. I re-read the manual for Food Saver and sure enough I can reheat in hot water. "You can also reheat foods in FoodSaver (R) Bags by placing them in water at a low simmer (below 170*F (75*C)" Online instructions for Seal-a-Meal is the same - simmer.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/4/2017, 2:59 am

My dinner tonight was sweet potato fingerlings, sauteed baby bok choy and fresh Sun Gold tomatoes.

Tomorrow I will try AllRecipe for fried green tomatoes, my first time. We have a freeze warning for tonight so I went out at 11:30 PM and picked all of the green Mortgage Lifters.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next