Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+64
CapeCoddess
suseine
DorothyG
OhioGardener
Dunkinjean
ispinwool
Windsor.Parker
BlackjackWidow
farmersgranddaughter
Ellen62
meatburner
SQWIB
yolos
Turan
aliceingardenland
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
plantoid
littlejo
Roseinarosecity
BeetlesPerSqFt
LizDTM
stealthmayhem
ColleenW
brianj555
dixie
bigdogrock
VJ72584
No_Such_Reality
Greenbeard
citizenz
SwampTroll
Fiz
hammock gal
Mimi2
greatgranny
walshevak
Robbomb116
donnainzone5
camprn
Judy McConnell
GloriaG
RC3291
AlwaysHotinFL
Banned Member
GWN
Mellen
dstack
Ginger Blue
herblover
MrBooker
newbeone
reynajrainwater
AtlantaMarie
Cajun Cappy
CitizenKate
audrey.jeanne.roberts
kauairosina
trolleydriver
momvet
NAR56
Kelejan
llama momma
68 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  CapeCoddess 8/16/2018, 4:33 pm

Added to my nightly salads: cherry tomatoes, cukes, kale, collards, chard, different colored snap beans, fresh oregano and, of course, fresh garlic.
What a Face
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  OhioGardener 8/16/2018, 6:44 pm

Picked the first batch of fresh Mizuna today - first time growing it. Had a great salad with Black Seeded Simpson lettuce, Red Russian Kale, Arugula, Mizuna, radishes, onion, and yellow cherry tomatoes. Served up with straightneck summer squash and stuffed bell pepper.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4470

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/16/2018, 9:32 pm

Peppers, maters, easy button.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/18/2018, 9:40 pm

Turnips, in a soup with cinnamon and apples. Would make again, if/once I have more turnips.
http://turniptheoven.com/cinnamon-apple-turnip-soup

A Mediterranean spread that included a baba ganoush like dip from my Astrakom eggplants; tabouli with home-grown purslane, cucumber and cherry tomatoes; a red bell pepper; and cucumber slices.

Earlier this week I made a meaty, pressure-cooker (aka fast instead of slow) version of Meghan Markle's Zucchini Bolognese sauce. I held back on the salt, and added a little tamari and fish sauce to kick up the umami, garnished with fresh tomato and grated cheese, served over radiatore pasta. I wasn't expecting much, but Wow.  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 4022887542 It was really hard to not eat the other generous serving right after the first.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/21/2018, 1:35 am

For two nights, 2 cantaloupes, quick pickled Rattlesnake beans, cucumber and tomatoes.  Trying to go heavy on the veggies again.  https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t22306-the-struggle-to-lose-weight#283168

Thanks, Yolos, for the idea to grow Rattlesnake beans this hot, late summer.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  suseine 8/21/2018, 10:48 am

Tomato, Cucumber and Lettuce.
suseine
suseine

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/22/2018, 3:07 am

Tonight, soy beans from my single plant, a lilac bell and cucumber in the salad. I planted 2 spare pickling cucumbers in the east side strip with afternoon shade and they are in much better shape than the 16 planted in the sunny SFG bed.  The single soy bean had to come out so I harvested any sizeable pods and microwaved them.  I don't remember production this size from the soy I grew in 2014. ??  The Mel's Mix? What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Soy_be10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 8/23/2018, 1:54 pm

It's August 23, and I finally picked my first full sized tomato! I've been getting cherry tomatoes for a while now, but not nearly as many as last year. Last year I had more tomatoes than I knew what to do with, and this year...sniff, sniff, I'm still having to buy tomatoes from the farm stand. Sad And to add insult to injury, now I have to compete with the birds for the tomatoes!!! They're eating them off the vine. :pullinghair:It's just been a bad year for the garden around here, lots of rain and cloudy days. What's a tomato lover to do? My cucumber vine, the remaining one out of three, is big and healthy looking, but very few cucumbers. My pepper plants look healthy, but no peppers. Even the basil in the planter looks puny. Well, at least I'm keeping the local farmers happy by supporting them. Very Happy 

If anyone has any hints for keeping the birds out of the tomatoes, I'd love to hear them.
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/23/2018, 6:58 pm

hammock gal wrote:If anyone has any hints for keeping the birds out of the tomatoes, I'd love to hear them.

Sorry to hear you're still not getting tomatoes - wish I could send you some since all of our neighbors are getting tired of the ones we keep giving away!

To keep the birds away from your tomatoes, suspend some Mylar strips from a pole or rack above them - they can't stand the fluttering of the shiny stuff in the wind, and won't go near it.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Imag3615

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 8/24/2018, 6:13 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
hammock gal wrote:If anyone has any hints for keeping the birds out of the tomatoes, I'd love to hear them.

Sorry to hear you're still not getting tomatoes - wish I could send you some since all of our neighbors are getting tired of the ones we keep giving away!

To keep the birds away from your tomatoes, suspend some Mylar strips from a pole or rack above them - they can't stand the fluttering of the shiny stuff in the wind, and won't go near it.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Imag3615
That looks perfect...and cheap, actually free! I think I have a couple of mylar baloons I saved after they deflated, God knows why, but I thought they might come in handy for SOMEthing, and look at that, so they have. thanks

And I'm glad to hear that someone is getting loads of tomatoes. Please eat a bunch for me. Very Happy

Last edited by hammock gal on 8/24/2018, 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Itchy trigger finger.)
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/24/2018, 7:55 pm

hammock gal wrote:That looks perfect...and cheap, actually free! I think I have a couple of mylar baloons I saved after they deflated, God knows why, but I thought they might come in handy for SOMEthing, and look at that, so they have.

Those mylar strips in the picture I posted came from Starbucks coffee bags - Picked up a bag of coffee grounds from the local Starbucks, spread the grounds on the garden, washed out the bag and cut it into strips to hang up.  Perfect partnership! What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 3170584802

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  DorothyG 8/24/2018, 11:15 pm

Posted before I finished.  Deleted.

Last edited by DorothyG on 8/24/2018, 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
DorothyG
DorothyG

Female Posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Post  DorothyG 8/24/2018, 11:19 pm

Yesterday a friend and I got together at my house to cook everything pumpkin. We had a bumper crop of Spookie Squash, a delightfully prolific pie pumpkin.  We made 2 pumpkin rolls, 3 small loaves of pumpkin loaf, 2 dozen pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, mini pumpkin whoopie pies, a pumpkin carrot cake, a vanilla pumpkin mousse pie, and a lemon pumpkin mousse pie.

Our little granddaughter, 9 months old, had pureed pumpkin for her supper too while she sat on Grandma's lap.   Wink
DorothyG
DorothyG

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/25/2018, 8:17 am

DorothyG, those pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies sound delicious! But then, anything Pumpkin is delicious.  Very Happy

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  DorothyG 8/26/2018, 2:47 pm

OG, they are good.  They were the easiest to make too.  My friend found the recipe somewhere online and it called for 2 packages of oatmeal cookie mix to start with. All the other recipes came from the Libby pumpkin site, verybestbaking dot com.
DorothyG
DorothyG

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/26/2018, 8:11 pm

sanderson wrote:Tonight, soy beans from my single plant, a lilac bell and cucumber in the salad. I planted 2 spare pickling cucumbers in the east side strip with afternoon shade and they are in much better shape than the 16 planted in the sunny SFG bed.  The single soy bean had to come out so I harvested any sizeable pods and microwaved them.  I don't remember production this size from the soy I grew in 2014. ??  The Mel's Mix? What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Soy_be10
Interesting!  Love me some edamame...

I had a sautéed delicata, unknown other summer squash someone abandoned at work, garlic, a grocery onion, EVOO, s&p.  Added in Simple Truth chicken sausage Gruyere and spinach,,,  Pretty amazing, I must say.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/27/2018, 3:12 am

hungry

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/27/2018, 12:41 pm

I think I see some stuffed banana peppers for dinner....  Love 'em!

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Banana10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/5/2018, 2:01 pm

Currently making squash soup using a fully ripe butternut squash, a not so ripe Canada Crookneck and a yellow onion. All these from the SFG. When the veggies are cooked I'll use a hand blender to smooth them. Then I will add half and half cream, nutneg, salt and pepper before boiling the whole thing again.What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Img_2214

Update: Here is the final product.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Img_2215
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/5/2018, 9:02 pm

Looks great, OG & TD!  I took a Brandywine tomato to work and many every body jealous at the cafeteria!  Lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/8/2018, 3:47 am

hungry

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/8/2018, 1:12 pm

I used SFG Kale and Cucumber in my green smoothie today.  I also used the Vitamix to puree cucumber and put the resulting puree into ice cube trays for freezing. The frozen cubes then go into a freezer bag and will used in future smoothies.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/8/2018, 6:25 pm

Quiche with a handful of sugar snap peas, a few romano beans, a small zucchini, some chopped garlic and eggs, all from our garden.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/8/2018, 7:22 pm

YUM!!!!hungry
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/11/2018, 2:29 pm

A very simple lunch sandwich using kale and yellow tomato from the SFG. I don't have much imagination when it comes to making meals.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 32 Img_2222
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next