Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) Toplef10Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) I22gcj10Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) Toplef10Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) I22gcj10Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Plant spacings (those NOT in the book)

+7
donnainzone5
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
Sunsanvil
11 posters

Go down

Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) Empty Plant spacings (those NOT in the book)

Post  Sunsanvil 5/30/2016, 8:19 am

Has anyone ever attempted to assemble a plant-per-square list for all those things not in the book?  Might be a worthwhile endeavor if someone could chair the effort, maybe make a sticky out of it.

BTW, right now I'm wondering about herbs (sage, rosemary, cilantro).
Sunsanvil
Sunsanvil

Back to top Go down

Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) Empty Re: Plant spacings (those NOT in the book)

Post  CapeCoddess 5/30/2016, 8:31 am

Excellent idea!  A great place to start the list would be in the search  feature .

In my ANSFG, 1st ed, book cilantro is on page 234. It says one per square. Best guess is the other two herbs are one per square also seeing as they can get pretty large.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) Empty Re: Plant spacings (those NOT in the book)

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/30/2016, 10:57 am

Agreed - great idea!

Rosemary can grow into a LARGE bush - 5 ft tall, etc... May be better to put it in a large pot instead.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/30/2016, 11:35 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Rosemary can grow into a LARGE bush - 5 ft tall, etc...  May be better to put it in a large pot instead.

Oh No!  I planted my Romarin (which I think is the same as Rosemary) four per square based on the plant spacing on the seed packet. The packet says 6 inch spacing and a height of 24 to 36 inches.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/30/2016, 2:22 pm

I corrected the typo so it becomes Searchable. Razz There are some unusual spacings, such as cucumbers (2/sq), but it also depends on whether something is an annual or perennial, to be picked small or allowed to grow to full size, northern or southern latitudes, etc.

If someone wants to do this, I can edit at any time or point as more info from members becomes available. There are other options, also.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/30/2016, 9:09 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:Rosemary can grow into a LARGE bush - 5 ft tall, etc...  May be better to put it in a large pot instead.

Oh No!  I planted my Romarin (which I think is the same as Rosemary) four per square based on the plant spacing on the seed packet. The packet says 6 inch spacing and a height of 24 to 36 inches.
Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) Image28

TD you are OK. My Rosemary is the only herb that I can keep alive overwinter. I have it in a terra cotta planter. It will get to be about 2 ft tall. And you will need to pull it in for winter...I have mine in an East facing window, it survives. Remember to water it!

This is at least the 3rd or 4th year for this particular plant.....it is the North!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/30/2016, 9:47 pm

As I understand it, Arp is the hardiest variety of rosemary.

I planted it for the first time last year, it survived our (mild) winter, and now is thriving.

Barbecue is another relatively hardy variety of rosemary, although I haven't had as much luck with it.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/30/2016, 11:03 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:TD you are OK.  My Rosemary is the only herb that I can keep alive overwinter.  I have it in a terra cotta planter.  It will get to be about 2 ft tall.  And you will need to pull it in for winter...I have mine in an East facing window, it survives.  Remember to water it!

This is at least the 3rd or 4th year for this particular plant.....it is the North!  

Thanks for the encouragement. I never even thought about bringing it indoors. Will have to remember to try that.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/1/2016, 9:55 am

I plant rosemary as an annual; if we have a very mild winter it will survive but I don't count on it.  It shares a pot with parsley right out my back door since I use a lot of both.  Sage is planted in the big back bed with the perennial flowers since it can get huge!  Mine is about 3-4 years old now and is the size of a small shrub.  I don't put any herbs in my SFG; they are either in ground or pots.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 6/1/2016, 2:03 pm

I plant my peas & pole beans 8 per square so that I can run 2 plants (dots) up one of 4 bamboo poles (Xs) in the square.

Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) Img_0610

Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) Img_0611

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Plant spacings (those NOT in the book) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/2/2016, 10:22 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Agreed - great idea!

Rosemary can grow into a LARGE bush - 5 ft tall, etc...  May be better to put it in a large pot instead.
about 5 ft tall and wide
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/2/2016, 10:46 am

has55 wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:Agreed - great idea!

Rosemary can grow into a LARGE bush - 5 ft tall, etc...  May be better to put it in a large pot instead.
about 5 ft tall and wide
Probably depends on where you live. Up here in the Great White North, I grow mine as an annual and seed packet says 6 inch spacing and plant height of 24 to 36 inches.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/6/2016, 4:51 pm

Here are some of my spacing notes for vegetables that I don’t think are in the ANSFG book:
Bok choy – grew a larger variety at 4/square, which ended up being rather tight 
    would have been fine with a smaller variety, or harvested younger(or, uhm, on time)
    those mini-bok choy heads could probably just manage 9/square
Claytonia = Miner’s Lettuce– 16 per square
Collards – 1 per square
Napa Cabbage – 1 per square (4 is likely possible with some of the smaller/narrower varieties)
Mache – 9 per square seemed light; I’ll try 16 with some of my fall plantings
Rutabega (grown larger than avg. turnips) 4/square
Winter radish varieties that grow large like daikons – 16/square didn't work for me - no radishes! 9/square worked ok.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down