Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 Toplef10Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 I22gcj10Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 Toplef10Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 I22gcj10Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Turan in the Western Mountains

+14
trolleydriver
Turan
yolos
Robbomb116
CapeCoddess
RoOsTeR
mlpii66
plantoid
BeetlesPerSqFt
llama momma
AtlantaMarie
landarch
countrynaturals
Kelejan
18 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 Empty Re: Turan in the Western Mountains

Post  sanderson 12/18/2016, 2:41 pm

Maybe we should change the name of the thread? "Turan in the Western Mountains" or "Turan in Colorado or Turan's Rocky Mountain High/Garden."

Wonderful supply of potatoes, squash and apple products.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 Empty Re: Turan in the Western Mountains

Post  trolleydriver 12/18/2016, 2:44 pm

sanderson wrote:Maybe we should change the name of the thread?  "Turan in the Western Mountains" or "Turan in Colorado or Turan's Rocky Mountain High/Garden."

Wonderful supply of potatoes, squash and apple products.

+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 12/18/2016, 3:35 pm

I like "Turan in the Western Mountains", because I was trying to give a reference of sorts to other gardeners. Also I am in Montana, not Colorado, though the Rocky mountain High reference is still applicable.

Thanks. Finding a spot were summer hail wouldn't set back the squash worked out really well. I just am not sure I want to use that space for that again.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/18/2016, 5:28 pm

Great pictures, love the apples, I need to replace my apple trees....

Yukon Gold?  Nice haul!  Potatoes and a few Patty pans are all I have left from summer, radishes, carrots.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/16/2017, 2:18 pm

It is cold and no one is here but me and the cats and dogs. Soon I must head out to feed hay but right now I am enjoying thinking about the garden. Very Happy

That apple tree is maybe a Haralson? I bought it from Gurney's Nursery as a pole or columnar tree. They created those by doing a triple graft- a dwarfing root and then a non branching section and then the variety. I just did some research and find that they are not doing this anymore, instead they have developed a columnar root stock. But any ways, I digress. When I first moved here I planted a lot of apple trees, all of which died, mostly due to the winter dry wind, so a columnar tree that could be planted a couple feet from the house seemed like a good idea. I was worried about those grafts freezing in the winter though I should of remembered that a drift will build on the lee side of a barrier, so I planted deep to get the grafts protected in the ground. So the final graft sent out roots and I have a full size Haralson apple tree growing a couple feet from the house. Haralsons are a very hardy tree for my area, you see them behind all the old farm houses. They make good cider as well as pies.

The potatoes shown are related to Yukon Gold, I forget the exact variety. I do not recommend them or Yukon Gold for our intense growing methods. They do not respond to deep mulching. All that aside though I do love my home grown potatoes. We ate the last of them on Thanksgiving.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/16/2017, 2:43 pm

Here are some pictures taken September 31rst.
Starting in the greenhouse

Sungold tomatoes~
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 2016-914

Krimson Peppers~
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 2016-916

Wasps.  There was a paper wasp hive in the peak of the greenhouse roof.  They do not bother us as long as we are respectful.  In turn they eat a lot of pesky bugs like caterpillars and aphids.
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 2016-913

Then in rest of the garden~

Lots of sunflowers and I let most of the broccoli bolt and bloom for the bees as well.
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 2016-918

One of the asparagus is apparently female.  I let the berries ripen and hope they will eventually spread the bed,
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 2016-917

And a late rose~
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 2016-915

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/16/2017, 3:02 pm

At this point in January we are still eating rutabagas, carrots, winter squash, canned and dried tomatoes, and herbs. O and dry beans.

Here is my mutli color carrot harvest- 11.75# from 9sf.
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 2016-111

And here are the rutabagas.  I carefully weighed them and then forgot to write it down. Embarassed  
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 2016-112

My conclusions for the garden is that something is off in the greenhouse.  Production was ok (except a total lack of cucumbers) but there were leaf lesions on tomatoes and beans I could not explain. I took some young leaves to the extension office, suspecting a disease, and they said they could not find anything but suspected a Boron deficiency.  So I need to send some samples off for testing, greenhouse and garden beds.

For next year I want to figure out how to grow cucumbers and zucchini.  

I wonder if I should start a new thread for this new year, or just keep on here.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/16/2017, 3:14 pm

Oh Turan!
 I love rutabagas !  Those look fanstastic.  Your carrots look great.  I didn't get it together this year to do either. Hope you enjoy those, I am envious.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/16/2017, 3:33 pm

llama momma wrote:Oh Turan!
 I love rutabagas !  Those look fanstastic.  Your carrots look great.  I didn't get it together this year to do either. Hope you enjoy those, I am envious.
+1
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/16/2017, 4:35 pm

Thanks. We have been enjoying the rutabagas, mostly in stew or mashed with potatoes. Next week we will be bringing a big pot of Neeps and Tatties to Burns Night. My daughter introduced us to daikon radishes in curry and I wonder if rutabagas would not be a good substitute, they are related.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/17/2017, 12:44 pm

Turan, this is your post. You can continue it as a running journal.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/18/2017, 6:31 pm

Turan wrote:Thanks.  We have been enjoying the rutabagas, mostly in stew or mashed with potatoes.  Next week we will be bringing a big pot of Neeps and Tatties to Burns Night.  My daughter introduced us to daikon radishes in curry and I wonder if rutabagas would not be a good substitute, they are related.
 Rutabagas in curries ... BLEK ! Laughing

They tend to develop quite a unique evil taste of their own , for me that woiuld result in ruining the curries & even stews if the ratio of use is close to or greater than that of the rest of the veg .

I suspect it is do do with the juices released during the cooking from raw . One thing we've never done for curries & stews if there is a lot of them is to pre cook the rutabagas before hand , drain off & rinse off with boiling water to try & remove that  taste .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/18/2017, 7:20 pm

I dunno Plantoid, I have never had rutabagas develop an off taste while cooking. We like them cooked in stew quite a bit, though consider them to be rather bland.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/24/2017, 10:58 pm

I got my seed order in to Johhny's Very Happy 

Here is my garden plan for this year.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 773352

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/25/2017, 3:14 am

If I remember correctly, the greenhouse is in the lower right. What is the blank square?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/25/2017, 12:23 pm

I wish i could figure out how to inset text onto the plan.

You remember correctly, the greenhouse is in the lower right, full of tomatoes, peppers, beans and cukes etc.  I need to go seed it in lettuce soon.

The big brown square has a shaggy compost pile on it.  I may yet plant squash around its edges and let them cover it in vines.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/15/2017, 6:25 pm

I did the soil sample and the test came back high to very high on everything except sodium chloride (table salt) which was very low.  A prescription for a 116g (3/8ths of a cup) of table salt to be worked in per 30 sqf was declared.  The pH was 7.5, a tad high but acceptable around here.

Yesterday and today I got one side of the greenhouse done.  Salt sprinkled and weeds pulled.  This is the first year I have not had willing young labor to help get the garden going.  I bought a bale of peat and a bag of perlight.  A couple pails of each were mixed into that one bed.  I figure the peat will help lower the pH and I am ready to have lighter soil to work.  If there is any of the perlight/ peat mix left after I do the other side It will go into the carrot bed.  Any left over peat will go in the potato tower.

I planted peas; golden snow peas, Amish snap peas, and Super Sugar snaps.  On the shade side of their bed I planted lettuce and bokchoy and cilantro.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 274447

PS, It snowed the last couple nights.  Typical mountain springtime

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 4/16/2017, 9:48 am

Turan wrote:I did the soil sample and the test came back high to very high on everything except sodium chloride (table salt) which was very low.  A prescription for a 116g (3/8ths of a cup) of table salt to be worked in per 30 sqf was declared.  The pH was 7.5, a tad high but acceptable around here.

Yesterday and today I got one side of the greenhouse done.  Salt sprinkled and weeds pulled.  This is the first year I have not had willing young labor to help get the garden going.  I bought a bale of peat and a bag of perlight.  A couple pails of each were mixed into that one bed.  I figure the peat will help lower the pH and I am ready to have lighter soil to work.  If there is any of the perlight/ peat mix left after I do the other side It will go into the carrot bed.  Any left over peat will go in the potato tower.

I planted peas; golden snow peas, Amish snap peas, and Super Sugar snaps.  On the shade side of their bed I planted lettuce and bokchoy and cilantro.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 274447

PS, It snowed the last couple nights.  Typical mountain springtime
Interesting about the table salt.

How big is your green house?  I'm planning on using hoop houses and an underlying of green house cloth I think they call it.  Greenhouse(s) are definitely on the long term goal sheet.

How are your potato towers set up?  I did a hundred square feet of potatoes last year, a tad too much.  I like the idea of having a way to harvest as they grow, but it seems difficult to get those taters on the bottom without disturbing the upper layers.  I have some large nursery planters and may try using them staggered a week apart.

I was setting and filling my bags on Friday in flurries and sleet! I figure if I let a little weather keep me indoors I'll never get anything done!
mlpii66
mlpii66

Male Posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/16/2017, 12:45 pm

I'm behind already! Our weather has been unseasonably warm and I wasn't ready Shocked I've gone out and stirred the beds and added some compost but not much more other than cleaning and straightening things out. My hops are growing between 3-6 inches a day right now so I have been trimming the shoots back and trellising the main bines. Later this week, I hope to get my carrots planted for Carrot Week 2017, and lettuces and radish.

I've also planted 2 trees!
My daughters horses have also eaten 2 trees! Evil or Very Mad

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/16/2017, 1:24 pm

mlpii66 wrote:I was setting and filling my bags on Friday in flurries and sleet! I figure if I let a little weather keep me indoors I'll never get anything done!
Razz Dedicated gardener. Reminds me of a Meme that Camp posted one year. Darn, can't find it right now.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/16/2017, 1:48 pm

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 Gardening-in-snow

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/16/2017, 2:22 pm

mlpii66 wrote:
How big is your green house?  I'm planning on using hoop houses and an underlying of green house cloth I think they call it.  Greenhouse(s) are definitely on the long term goal sheet.

How are your potato towers set up?  I did a hundred square feet of potatoes last year, a tad too much.  I like the idea of having a way to harvest as they grow, but it seems difficult to get those taters on the bottom without disturbing the upper layers.  I have some large nursery planters and may try using them staggered a week apart.

I was setting and filling my bags on Friday in flurries and sleet! I figure if I let a little weather keep me indoors I'll never get anything done!

If you scroll back a bit I put a garden plan and that shows the greenhouse in the bottom right corner.  I bought a kit that is 8'x 12'.  It replaced one I made with cattle panels and greenhouse film that was 6'x8'.  This one has double wall sheets.  The wind is always trying to tear it apart and we keep adding more structure to it. I grow direct in the ground in 2 long 2.5'x12' beds.  I added some sand and my compost to my garden soil for the beds.  What does greenhouse cloth get you?  Weeds grow through it and I like letting my plants go down as far as they want.

I don't really do potato towers.  I have an old cold frame that the top wore out so it is a 3'x4' high rise.  I plant the potatoes in the bottom and then hill with mulch especially leaves and pine needles until start they stat blooming.  I let them be after that.  The idea of multiple layers of potatoes setting is not as easy as the catalogues claim.  I get a couple layers with the fingerlings, not so much with others.  A couple plantings of short season varieties should work better, or maybe several different varieties short through long season for what you want.
 I got my seed potats a couple days ago, French fingerling.  Now to decide when best to plant.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/16/2017, 2:32 pm

RoOster, this sure is a hard spring to get ahead on.  Did you start any tomatoes?  I am going to have to buy my plants this year.  Shocked 

Sorry about the trees.  I have been on both sides of that equation, the kid whose horse ate the trees (plum) and the parent whose kid's horse ate my apple tree.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/16/2017, 10:09 pm

Turan wrote:Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 Gardening-in-snow
That's it! I just found it about 30 minutes ago.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 4/18/2017, 9:31 pm

Turan wrote:Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 2 Gardening-in-snow
Yep. that was the sentiment!
mlpii66
mlpii66

Male Posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next