Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
May in Western Mountains and Plains Toplef10May in Western Mountains and Plains 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

May in Western Mountains and Plains I22gcj10May in Western Mountains and Plains 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
May in Western Mountains and Plains Toplef10May in Western Mountains and Plains 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

May in Western Mountains and Plains I22gcj10May in Western Mountains and Plains 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

May in Western Mountains and Plains

3 posters

Go down

May in Western Mountains and Plains Empty May in Western Mountains and Plains

Post  Turan 5/5/2015, 1:21 pm

This month starts with such a rush.  I can still get frosts but it is warm enough for all sorts of stuff to be planted.  I see that the self seeding orach has adult leaves now, there is lots of cilantro popping up and I just saw broccoli raab popping up where I let it go to seed last year.  I even saw a sunflower in a warm protected spot.  I use these self seeded plants as soil temperature indicators.  It is definitely time for any cool weather plants and seeds to get planted.

Right now I have 3 beds fully planted.  A small one with lettuce, chard, green onions and volunteering raab.  A big one, 4x8, with sugar snap and snow peas down the long sides.  The center is all cilantro volunteers (I cleaned the seed heads off there last fall, is that then really volunteers?).  The ends have various oriental cabbages and raab that I started indoors and transplanted out. Then the tomato bed in the greenhouse, 2.5 x 12, with 12 indeterminate tomatoes.

I planted potatoes, this year they are in the remnants of a cold frame.  I figure they will be easy to cover if needed and I can keep mulching them until they top the walls.  I planted fingerlings, those are usually reliably indeterminate for potato tower purposes.

How are your gardens doing?

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

May in Western Mountains and Plains Empty Re: May in Western Mountains and Plains

Post  Turan 5/6/2015, 1:39 pm

I should of taken a picture yesterday morning.  I came home and found that some one dear to me had gone to close up the greenhouse being all sweet,,,,, and left the gate open.  The sheep mowed the peas, lettuce, tulips, raab blooming strawberrys and asparagus.  They snipped off and spat out the garlic. No 

I just did some reseeding.  Some stuff still has a bottom leaf left so I am hoping will come back.

I need to make a gate that swings shut righteously.  Maybe the dear one will take interest in this project.  He loves asparagus and alpine strawberries very much.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

May in Western Mountains and Plains Empty Re: May in Western Mountains and Plains

Post  sanderson 5/6/2015, 1:47 pm

So sorry this happened to you. Shocked Your dear one must feel awful.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/7/2015, 7:27 am

Crybaby
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/23/2015, 12:31 pm

Thanks, you guys. I still would like to wail like that baby when I look at the struggling peas. O well.

I was planning to flip a compost pile into the squash bed today and then plant corn where it had been. It is cool and rainy outside. Yesterday somehow 5 small bushes followed me home (along with the Stevia and a rosemary). It is a good tree planting day.
We have neighbors now to our east. Sigh. I decided to plant a bit of a barrier between us and them. I have tried planting bushes in this area before (in anticipation that people might build) but everything was killed by dry wind and/or marauding livestock. The baby apple trees were eaten by a neighbor's bull (he just looked at me and shook his head when I came out side to shush him along, When his owner showed up he did not even need to be told to go, he just galumphed along home.) The lilacs, Nanking cherries and hazelnuts all whimpered along not thriving until succumbing in a winter. My land was once river bottom. It has sand bars, and silt pits, and cobblestone areas, and clay banks, all hidden under a virtually flat field. The area for these trees has dense silt and clay. I am planting a chokecherry, saskatoon, pea shrub, lilac (hope springs eternal) willow and our native juniper. Wish them luck.

In the SFG I got the broccoli planted. In the greenhouse the tomatoes are out of the wall o waters and tied now. Beans have been planted along with allysum, cumin, marigolds, stevia and rosemary. Today I plan to transplant the cucumbers and melons and put w-o-w around them.
May in Western Mountains and Plains 274447

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/31/2015, 12:57 am

We have been having a lot of rain lately and at last the night temperatures are above 50! YAHOO! I am trying to decide to plant beans outside. We are a week yet to last frost date.
Lots of cilantro, orach, green onions, lettuce for picking.
The nibbled on peas have at last taken off and are starting to grab the trellis and get going. Carrots are making their second leaves at last.
The beans in the greenhouse are sprouting. There are tomatoes blooming. It is time to move the peppers out into the greenhouse and plant the others into the cold frame.
I spent the day putting together a soaker hose watering system.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down