Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 Toplef10Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 I22gcj10Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 Toplef10Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 I22gcj10Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Turan in the Western Mountains

+14
trolleydriver
Turan
yolos
Robbomb116
CapeCoddess
RoOsTeR
mlpii66
plantoid
BeetlesPerSqFt
llama momma
AtlantaMarie
landarch
countrynaturals
Kelejan
18 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 Empty Re: Turan in the Western Mountains

Post  Turan 6/15/2017, 10:45 pm

A friend put 1000 starts of mixed winter squashes into her field last Friday. It frosted lightly on Saturday. Some are done and some look fine. Risky business. I only have 6 and they are in Wall-o-waters for now.

Best of luck with the cuke planting. Can you put jugs of water next to them? It does help, and creates a tiny wind break...

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 Empty Re: Turan in the Western Mountains

Post  Turan 6/16/2017, 11:39 pm

While taking pics of leaf lesions today I could not help but take photos of developing fruit Very Happy

Pickling cuke. I bought the plant and pickling is all its label said.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-026

Big Beef tomatoes getting big

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-027

bounce

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/18/2017, 6:29 pm

FUN!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/29/2017, 2:49 pm

I went out on the Solstice and took garden pictures. It seemed right to record where the garden is on the first day of summer.

The eggplant have set 4 fruits, none yet on the Fairy Tale. They look a bit bedraggled. I am hoping they make a big rebound as the summer proceeds, but I already have more eggplant fruits developing than i ever had before! The varieties with fruit are Black King, Diamond, and Black Egg.
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-011

Next door to the eggplant are the potatoes. They have just had their first hilling with pine needles and a bucket of peat and a sprinkle of bone meal. A week later and they have grown almost another foot. I should hill them soon one more time and then call it good.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-010

Here is my U shaped bed with tomatillos along one side and 3 winter squash (Kuri, Aust. Butter pumpkin, Buttercup) at the far end and 3 zukes (Black Beauty, Green Machine, Cocozella) along the nearer leg. They had a rough transfer from W-o-W to open garden because it immediately went to 90*. Even with shade cloth I couldn't keep them cool enough until I pulled the black plastic off. Now they are recovering and growing fast.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-014

The peas were flowering. Today I picked the first handful of snow peas, and the first scapes, and a thinning of basil. Pesto and peas and noodles for dinner!
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-012

Weeding the carrot bed of the campion has been tedious this year. Next year I will seed the carrots later and keep the bed covered so the weed seeds sprout early. I am some what bemused by this development. The flower is something I planted in that bed a couple years ago and has been reseeding.
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-015

There are lots of flowers blooming, late lilacs, peonies, hardy geranium, etc. The baby robins are learning to fly. First strawberries are ripe. There are lots of flowers on the raspberries. A good start to full summer sunny

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/29/2017, 7:16 pm

Looking good, Turan!  What do you like to do with your eggplant?  I have tried making it and have found it to be bitter and tough, but they were larger fruits....at the store.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/29/2017, 10:56 pm

Nice Pictures Turan !  Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/29/2017, 11:55 pm

SC, We love to grill eggplant with just a sprinkle of lemon pepper on the slices. We also love it in stir fry and in curry and moussaka, etc. I think the trick with eggplant is to broil/ grill it first, and then make sure to pair the spicing with a splash of lemon/ lime/ orange or rice vinegar. But I am speaking as someone who already loves eggplant and buys lots of it. This is my first time to maybe to actually grow some.

Thanks, Llama momma

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/30/2017, 4:06 pm

Looking good, Turan. Is the blue flowered plant a columbine?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/30/2017, 7:47 pm

Thank, sanderson.  That flower is a linarea, related to snap dragons and penstemon.  
Here is in 2015 when I first scattered the seeds.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2015-010

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/30/2017, 10:00 pm

Turan wrote:SC, We love to grill eggplant with just a sprinkle of lemon pepper on the slices.  We also love it in stir fry and in curry and moussaka, etc.  I think the trick with eggplant is to broil/ grill it first, and then make sure to pair the spicing with a splash of lemon/ lime/ orange or rice vinegar.  But I am speaking as someone who already loves eggplant and buys lots of it.  This is my first time to maybe to actually grow some.

Thanks, Llama momma
Oh wow, then you will definitely enjoy this!  I think honestly if I grew it, I would like it better....like everything!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/16/2017, 1:21 pm

Last night was the real start of summer bounty. I picked a half gallon bucket of peas, and of beans, and of peppers, and 4 zucchini, and 5 small eggplant. Today I need to pick 2 heads of broccoli. There are 2 big tomatoes ripening fast.

I probably should freeze most of the broccoli and beans.

Happy dances
carrot

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/17/2017, 3:21 am

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/22/2017, 10:40 pm

Here are some pictures a month after the last set of pictures.  What enough heat (it has been around 90 every day for a month) and watering does.

The greenhouse~ I have picked 4 large tomatoes this week and a lot of peppers and beans.  I am getting pickling cucumbers for salads but the Diva cukes are just growing and not setting fruit.  They are supposed to be good for greenhouses because they do not need to be pollinated, so what gives when its neighbor has no such problem? You can not tell in the picture but the winter squash is sending out vines and I am trying to get them to grow to the roof. The flower is alyssum and it hums with bees and hover flies etc.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-210

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-016

Here are the eggplant.  I have picked several small fruits but so far I can't call this a rousing success.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-017

Deep mulched (like a BTE but with partially done compost) cole bed.  Those that were planted early enough before it got hot are happy the rest,,,, less so.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-020

The biggest broccoli head right before it got cut off. It was over 10 inches across and weighed 2.75 pounds.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-019

The U bed has grown a great deal in a month.  The tomattillos are covered with ripening fruit and we are picking plenty of zucchini. The winter squash are running vines over the lilac bushes.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-023

Corn is just starting to think about tassels.
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-022

A poppy among the peas.
Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-018

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 7/23/2017, 12:27 am

Very nice Turan! Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 3170584802
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/23/2017, 7:25 am

Robbomb116 wrote:Very nice Turan! Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 3170584802
+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/23/2017, 10:06 am

Love your beans.  Just hanging down waiting for you to harvest.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 7/23/2017, 8:52 pm

"Here are some pictures a month after the last set of pictures.  What enough heat (it has been around 90 every day for a month) and watering does.

The greenhouse~ I have picked 4 large tomatoes this week and a lot of peppers and beans."

Green with ENVY cutesie !  I see the wisdom of the greenhouse in our climate.  Hot days caused my Cool season plants to bolt. Cool nights are causing my heat lovers to stunt!  Definitely need a way to regulate temperature.  I have had pretty good luck with fava beans and peas so far.  A few cukes, beets and root crops.  But my corn, tomatoes and peppers are woefully lagging!

Great pictures!
mlpii66
mlpii66

Male Posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/23/2017, 11:15 pm

Wow ,Turan, looking GREAT!!!

The broc is so huge, and  I also tried to grow a Romanesco this year, actually 3, but no go.  No head developed, it was hugely shading everything out around it.  1/SF?  Does not seem right....2 of mine got eaten....the other is composting pale

Plus where I had mine are 18" x 12" repurposed window boxes...still too huge for the general population.

Last edited by sanderson on 7/25/2017, 1:05 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add the dimensions of my original boxes...)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/24/2017, 2:55 pm

Thanks all.
The greenhouse has certainly broadened my gardening and I would not mind if it was double this size. I would like to have the room to grow a 3 way rotation of; tomatoes with relatives, beans and cucurbits, corn. But the size that it is is fantastic and its lee protects part of the garden from wind. Wind and cool nights and short season are our difficulties. In balance we have a lot fewer pests and diseases.

SR, I give broccoli a 18" x 18" square. The plants are huge and I get a lot of side shoots from now till past frost.

A couple evenings ago we heard water running in the evening. My NEW Evil or Very Mad automatic watering timer has a valve stuck and can not turn off. So I have a sprinkler again. Well, that makes it easier to avoid watering the garlic now.

I gave the potats a final mulching of the remainder in a peat bag. They are now about 3 feet tall and are mulched about 1 foot deep. It is time for them to flower (if they want sometimes they don't) and make tubers till I dig them after frost.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-024

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/25/2017, 1:07 am

Turan, Wonderful garden!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/3/2017, 12:59 pm

Thanks sanderson Cool It is a bit of a jungle now, but a happy productive jungle.

I picked 2 Black Egg eggplants, they were, indeed, the size and shape of large eggs. There are FOUR (insert excited squeal here) fruits growing on the Diamond eggplant! Even the FairyTale has a flower.

I found a couple winter squash fruits set, they are blooming now in the lilac bushes. In the greenhouse there is at least one vining acorn squash set (the vines have reached the roof, I guess I will weave them along the peak of the roof soon). I hand pollinated a butternut.

A couple of the Diva cucumber appear to be elongating, so hopefully it is starting to fruit? The pickler next to it just keeps chugging out cukes, not fast but a steady amount.
We had a howling wind storm last night. The corn is still standing! cheers

Two leaves dried on the garlic, almost time to dig 'em up.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/7/2017, 12:00 pm

Your garden looks great Turan!  How did the garlic turn out ???
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/11/2017, 3:30 pm

Llama Momma, I have kept your post up on my web browser as a reminder to NOT PUT OFF digging the garlic this year Laughing

I just dug them and they are looking good and healthy, no mushy bottoms or sign of onion maggots. 32 large bulbs from about 8 squares and a handful of small bulbs from the scape bubils I scattered last fall.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-811

Clematis blooming on the porch railing.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-810

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/12/2017, 11:35 am

Turan, I hope you post the garlic photo and info to the Garlic thread. August sounds awfully late to me in California, but information for your Region would be nice to share. When did you plant them?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/9/2017, 9:09 pm

You know how squash are all cucurbits but of many different species? Well I was reminded that different species of the same Genus do not fertilize each other. I planted a butternut squash and a Thelma Saunders acorn squash together in the back corner of the greenhouse. They have similar growth patterns, the vines are similarly dense as well. I assumed they were of the same species because of this. They aren't. I noticed no fruit was setting so I started helping out. Continued non fruit setting. A little research and I corrected my error and now have some fruits. There are plenty of bees working these blossoms but with two vines that do not fertilize each other tangled in the same space they were not having too much luck. Next year I will check ahead of time. In the main garden this is not a problem because they are all C. maxima except the zucchini which is all C. pepo.

Turan in the Western Mountains - Page 5 2017-028

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next