Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Toplef10Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? I22gcj10Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Toplef10Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? I22gcj10Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gardening Christmas presents, anyone?

+12
mschaef
sanderson
littlesapphire
CotheK
llama momma
herblover
Kelejan
Scorpio Rising
Zmoore
yolos
plantoid
AtlantaMarie
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Empty Gardening Christmas presents, anyone?

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/26/2015, 7:45 am

Hope everyone had a safe & happy Christmas yesterday.

Did anyone besides me get gardening gifts?

DH, that wonderful, sneaky man, got me electrical conduit so that I can put up a "hoop house" on the beds like so many of you have.  Turns out he stood in the rain at HD cutting some of it into pieces to act as support for the main pipes.

Yes, as soon as I get it put up, I'll post pictures!

How about the rest of you??
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Empty Re: Gardening Christmas presents, anyone?

Post  plantoid 12/26/2015, 10:20 am

I got a lovely little four wheeled garden trailer that has a water holding plastic body with the front wheels on a turn table arrangement for Alison & HollyRobyn.

Cor!    It must be a month or more since I assembled it and made it fully  water tight , then hid it from myself out in the log cabin . Laughing   I can take the trash out to the collection point on Sunday , its special Christmas time collection given out for us  via the Internet site of the local authority .

I also got a most welcome garden book that I also had to hide out in the office from myself . Very Happy
 It's called the New vegetable & herb expert  by DG Hessayon   ( ISBN code 978-0-903-50575-8  )

It's about time I fully moved into the 21 st Century with this useful paperback as it has details & tips for all common crops & gives the latest varieties of them .

Like the book title says it also has  an interesting herb section and how to raise them . This is good for both Alison & I are becoming a lot more adventurous with our day to day cooking .

We've found some of the herbs  really do make a pleasant enhancing difference to the end products . So have decided to grow a lot more of our own rather than have the supermarkets hydroponic grown stuff that's several days old by the time we get it. The difference between our home grow herbs & theirs is remarkable .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Empty Re: Gardening Christmas presents, anyone?

Post  yolos 12/26/2015, 1:23 pm

I bought myself two early Christmas presents while they were on sale.  Microgreen supplies and an Aerogarden.  I was also given a book on growing mushrooms and a set of real pretty Cuisinart Knives to help cut up the veggies from my garden.  Hope they work as well as they look.
Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Knives10
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 12/26/2015, 1:59 pm

Compost Thermometer:
Disappointed my pile was cooler than I wanted Smile, but I got a cool thermometer now!
 Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Thermo10

Compost Tumbler:
YIMBY, 5 gallon (total) compost tumbler.  Now I can play with one of these in addition to my current pile system.
Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Tumble10
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/26/2015, 4:44 pm

Nice!

I got a 5 shelf metal unit and (2) 48inch T8 compatible shop lights on chains for starting my seeds in the basement, and a timer! Now the boys have to put it together for me, and I will be ready to start some seeds in February-ish. Will need to research that, as I don't want to start them too soon or too late.

Am really excited about that, as I read my seed catalogs and Four Season Harvest. Might have to ask for my own copy of that book for my birthday!

rock on
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/26/2015, 6:45 pm

Nice, Scorpio.  Enjoy.

I have read the rest of this thread. Happy for you all, whether given to you by loved ones or by yourself to yourself. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 12/27/2015, 7:04 am

I got Veg Journal by Charles Dowding and the great big Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds catalog.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/27/2015, 8:04 am

I did not get any purely gardening gifts this year, although the welcome gift of an electrical drill will allow me to make some more boxes for SFG, so I am going to give myself a little gift of some hot house chrysanthemums to brighten up my living room.

The reason I wanted some is that a few years ago I was given a plant, and that plant after flowering indoors, I placed in the garden but to my regret it never got to bloom again before the frost nipped the buds to death.

Then the third year it got to that stage, I tried cutting the flowers, still in tiny bud, and placing them indoors.  To my delight, these buds grew into some lovely flowers and lasted at least six weeks to brighten up the beginning of winter, and the plants still in the garden grew again and once more the cycle began.

The reason I particularly like these flowers is they always remind me of my dear foster-father who was the main inspiration for me to be a gardener.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/27/2015, 9:25 am

BIG hug
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/27/2015, 10:57 am

That is sweet, Kelejan! I love the smell of chrysanthemums, spicy and nice. flower
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/27/2015, 11:53 am

SFG has broadened my gardening experience once again.  I have a new gadget for Christmas, a Food Saver Vacuum Sealer and two more books. I'll add the titles to the other post, 'Winter Reading, Anyone?".
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  CotheK 12/27/2015, 4:26 pm

Hi All!

I love the books!  I am a better reader than gardener!!  As I read I think, "I can do that!"  I get very ambitious!

I was at the local Summer Winds Nursery a few days before Christmas and they had a sale!!!  I gave my hubby money and told him what I wanted!  LOL!  He got the last two 100% Western Red Cedar, Handcrafted in the USA, Gronomics 4'X4'X13" ready to be assembled beds!!  They were $59.99!!

I hope to have them put together next week.  I just need to purchase some Mel's Mix to go in them!  

Here's to a great gardening New Year!!
CotheK
CotheK

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/27/2015, 4:55 pm

llama momma wrote:SFG has broadened my gardening experience once again.  I have a new gadget for Christmas, a Food Saver Vacuum Sealer and two more books. I'll add the titles to the other post, 'Winter Reading, Anyone?".
I love my foodsaver.  Over the last few years I have been freezing most of my veggies and dehydrating some.  I am just now starting to pressure can.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 12/27/2015, 7:29 pm

You guys got some really great presents!  Herblover, I so want the big Bakers Creek Catalog!  I may have to buy it for myself.

I bought myself this for xmas:

Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Prod003100_alt2_lg

It was kind of extravagant; I don't usually buy expensive stuff like this for myself.  But hubby got a nice bonus at work and split it with me, so I figured it was about time I bought myself something nice for a change.  It's a cool little raised garden  (it has 6 inches of growing space, plus storage space underneath), and clear cover on top, so it's kind of like a mini raised greenhouse.  I'm so excited to try it with peppers this year!  Maybe I can actually get them to grow for me, since it's too cold here for them to grow for me without covers.  I just put it together today and it looks great!  I'm half tempted to plant some lettuce in there, lol.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/27/2015, 8:03 pm

Kelejan,
 We used to have indoor crysanths , they always smelt of cat pee.

When ever I brought Alison a bunch from the flower shop or a bunch of  some I cut from our garden.
It was always the same ..put them in a vase of water and within minutes they smelt of cat pee.

One day Alison came home with a bunch she'd brought herself , I watched her as she put them in a water filled vase on the coffee table by my armchair , then went to make a cup of tea .... Whereupon our 10 yr old cat " DAPP " , jumped on the coffee table and sprayed  pee all over them & me before I could get out of the line of fire.

I shouted,  "DAPP , you nice pussy cat,  go away " or words to that effect Embarassed ...
Al came rushing in to see the cat jumping off the table , saw a puddle , smelt the pee a and nearly pee'd herself laughing .

So If you have a moggy  Be warned !
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/27/2015, 9:14 pm

Plantoid, that is hysterical! No wonder.....

Julie, that set up is sweet! I would be planting some salad leaves ASAP!

CotheK, great score!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/28/2015, 2:44 am

The 2 books by Sally Fallon were from daughter.  The big book from me. I'm not exactly a health nut but reading these can not hurt me, right? Who knows, I might even learn something new. Very Happy Very Happy Gardening Christmas presents, anyone? Books_10

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/28/2015, 7:05 am

Ooooo...  NICE, Sanderson!  Please post anything interesting-looking.  (I see a trip to the library in my future to look for those...)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/28/2015, 7:54 am

Those books are beautiful, Sanderson! And you are right, can't hurt, might help.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 12/29/2015, 9:13 am

Nice presents, Sanderson!  I have Nourishing Traditions; it's a great resource if you're trying to eat a whole food diet.  I don't exactly follow everything she says (because I'm lazy!), but I certainly keep it in mind.  Let us know how the other books are too!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 12/29/2015, 4:55 pm

My hubby got me two areogardens since our apartment get no direct sunlight Sad . I'm so excited to grow things again. Very Happy
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/30/2015, 3:46 am

Nice!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 12/30/2015, 8:41 am

mschaef wrote:My hubby got me two areogardens since our apartment get no direct sunlight Sad . I'm so excited to grow things again. Very Happy

I spent a long time looking at those last night after reading that!  Those look really cool!  I was tempted to buy one for myself (how cool would it be to have fresh lettuce in the middle of winter?), but in the end I decided to wait on it.  Let us know how the aerogarden works out for you!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/30/2015, 2:31 pm

littlesapphire wrote:
mschaef wrote:My hubby got me two areogardens since our apartment get no direct sunlight Sad . I'm so excited to grow things again. Very Happy

I spent a long time looking at those last night after reading that!  Those look really cool!  I was tempted to buy one for myself (how cool would it be to have fresh lettuce in the middle of winter?), but in the end I decided to wait on it.  Let us know how the aerogarden works out for you!
 I have an AeroGarden and as I also have no direct sunlight until late February it is pleasant to have it in the corner of my living-room with its splash of green and welcome bright light.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/30/2015, 2:41 pm

Sanderson, nice books for Christmas.  I love making broth especially when people are kind enough to give me their turkey carcasses. I have had two so far and after stripping as much meat as possible, then I pressure cook it and use the broth in soups.

Two promised for New Year's Day.  I am always surprised how much meat is left on a carcass.  My latest turkey weighed about three pounds, and I got two pounds of meat off it for my dog, and about six cups of stock. With the leftover veggies in my fridge, I made three containers of soup, one of which I will give to a friend who never cooks, the second to her friend who gave me the carcass who said she would have just thrown it away.  Perhaps I can encourage both of them to do something with a turkey
instead of wasting it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next