Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Christmas Fun Toplef10Christmas Fun 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Christmas Fun I22gcj10Christmas Fun 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Christmas Fun Toplef10Christmas Fun 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Christmas Fun I22gcj10Christmas Fun 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Christmas Fun

4 posters

Go down

Christmas Fun Empty Christmas Fun

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 12/3/2011, 11:31 pm

It's hard to believe it's already the beginning of December. Christmas will be here before you know it. Anybody have any Christmas stories to tell?

I have one....

This happened back in 1978 I think. I was 8 years old and my brother was 12. Early Christmas morning(it was still pitch black out) I woke up to use the bathroom. After taking care of business, I wanted to sneak downstairs to see the loot underneath the Christmas tree.....I think I might've still believed in Santa Claus at the time. Anyway, I got about 1/3 of the way down the steps and I saw the street light reflect off someone's glasses. Well I panicked and went back into the room I shared with my brother. I woke him up and told him what I saw. So he went to the top of the stairs and looked down and saw the same thing.....there was someone in our living room!
We went back to our room, wondering what to do (it never even crossed our minds to wake up Mom and Dad...duuh!) So, he decided to just walk down the steps and turn a light on to see who it was. So we started walking slowly down the steps and maybe about halfway down, the living room light went on and here it was our older brother! LOL. He took a picture of us as we were walking down the steps. Scared the you know what out of us! But it was still fun.
By that time, it was starting to get light outside. We woke up our parents and our sister sometime right after that.

By the way, I LOVE fruitcake! My sister made fruitcake a few years ago and I remember I took a pretty big piece of it and ate it while I drove out to my brother's house to watch football. By the time I got to his house, I had a nice buzz going from all of the alcohol she put in it. LOL
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Christmas Fun Empty Re: Christmas Fun

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/3/2011, 11:33 pm

First Christmas gift I remember receiving that wasn't clothing...

Christmas Fun Photo-1

I used to pull the covers over my head at night, plug my dad's single earpiece headphone (with full plastic thingy to wrap around your whole ear), and play after my bedtime. I was 6 (1980).....always the rule-breaker. I still tell people that this very game taught me how to multiply and divide by 7's. All you had to do was ask the 6 year old how many touchdowns equaled 63 points, and he'd say 9 super fast. Didn't learn 2 times 5 until 3rd grade......just didn't see the point if it wasn't divisible by 7.

Next year, though, my little brother and I scored BIG TIME!! Santa brought...errrr bought....this

Christmas Fun Old-atari-console

We tried and tried to play the thing, but dad and grandpa couldn't figure out how to hook the thing up. And, the tv they chose was in the basement, had rabbit ears, and took FOREVER to warm up. Once finally hooked up correctly, dad and grandpa had to "test" it out for about 2 hours. They had to play space invaders and got hooked.

Oh, and the next Easter, I asked for Missle Command. I woke up the night before from a bad dream and found dad had moved the Atari back to his bedroom for the night so he could play MY NEW GAME!!!

But, of course, now I do it to my kids.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 12/3/2011, 11:42 pm

Hey.....my brother and I used to have one of those handheld football games. It wasn't the one you have though. Wow....the memories!
We also had a baseball, and hockey game.
And I LOVED the Atari 2600!!!! My brother and I had a ton of games for it! Asteroids was a great game but Adventure was by far the best!
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/4/2011, 8:52 am

The only liquid that soes into my fruitcake is bourbon (or irish whiskey) and eggs. House smells like a distillery when it cooks. Should I say it's a Wexford (Ireland) fruitcake.Smile

But for present fun I gave my sister a box of rocks one year with a note that every girl needs her own set of rocks. The look on her face until she spotted the diamond earrings was priceless.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 12/4/2011, 9:14 am

I remember the one year my brother got a small box of coal for Christmas. I forget who gave it to him but it was a joke.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 12/4/2011, 9:25 am

..I think I might've still believed in Santa Claus at the time.

....wha, wha, wha, what? :scratch: frustration screm sobbing

The Christmas we got our Atari was the greatest ever! Our family at the time actually lived in Texas, and we had come to Colorado to spend Christmas with our cousins. Low and behold, come Christmas morning, there it was. The Atari, in all its slendid glory! chicken dance
Only, it wasn't ours...no, it was the cousins. There were 4 of us and 3 of them, so needless to say, it was the longest minutes of your life waiting for your chance to play. When you finally got your turn, those minutes went by in a flash! But with lots of reality check parental influence, we made it work, and it was great.
On our journey home, there was for sure jealousy and grudges in our hearts, of the great misfortune bestowed upon us.
After a hainus, 18 hr drive back home, with multiple hair pullings, kickings, pokings, and the occasional backhand from the front seat. We finally got back home.
There was unloading, unpacking, bathing and eating to be done. Time for bed...we were mind spent. We had been running on high octane for weeks. We were done, my parents were done.
But wait, what is this? Momma coming out with another present.
I think there were tears shed by all in pure excitement and joy when we opened that last one! There it was. Our very own Atari!
And time for bed.

Yeah BBG, looking back that had to be one of the highlights. I will say that was the best Christmas ever as a kid. Everything about it was just Christmas. My uncle, and grandparents were still alive. We were all together. There was snow, cookies and treats. It was the perfect Christmas.
Of course now, with my own kids, everyone of them is special, and just looking at them breaks your heart just a little knowing how fast its all going.

...and oh yeah! Defender and Asteroids ruled!!!!

Christmas Fun Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 12/4/2011, 9:38 am

I would LOVE to sit down and play some of those classic Atari games! I wonder how big my "carbon footprint" was at the time I was heavily into those games.

On another note.....

I was known as a "Christmas Alcoholic" when I was a kid. Every family Christmas party, my Mom would make me a Sloe Gin. She would take a glass of ginger ale or sprite and add just enough Sloe Gin to give it some red color. I thought I was COOL!
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/4/2011, 9:43 am

Mine was a bit of creme de menth over ice cream

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 12/4/2011, 9:50 am

My family used to take pictures at every Christmas party. I would LOVE to find those pictures and post a few of them here.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/4/2011, 10:13 am

I didn't get to play a lot of Asteroids until I got to college (1992) and we had an antique in the basement. Holy cow the hours wasted trying to "flip" the score. That one and Galaga always get me to this day. If I see one somewhere while travelling the kids know "it's gonna be awhile."

I used to play Pac-Man in a roadside truck stop called BETO Junction in Kansas on our way up to KU football games. Haha, often times Pac-Man was the highlight of the weekend if you get my drift about KU football. IF you are a map person, BETO is at the intersection of US75 and I-35 (the southern branch leaving KC). The acronym stands for four towns: Burlington to the south, Emporia to the west, Topeka to the north, and Ottawa to the east. Kind of cool, and it's still there. Anywhoo, I guess that's a bit off topic, though.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 12/4/2011, 10:22 am

I was almost as excited the year my girlfriend bought me the Nintendo.

I was known as a "Christmas Alcoholic" when I was a kid. Every family Christmas party, my Mom would make me a Sloe Gin. She would take a glass of ginger ale or sprite and add just enough Sloe Gin to give it some red color. I thought I was COOL!

Lol! Can you imagine that nowadays? Shocked Haul ya off to the pokey! geek

Christmas Fun Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down