Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 Toplef10All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 I22gcj10All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 Toplef10All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 I22gcj10All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!

+13
OhioGardener
countrynaturals
walshevak
mschaef
CapeCoddess
johnp
reynajrainwater
plantoid
sanderson
Kelejan
AtlantaMarie
yolos
Scorpio Rising
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 Empty Re: All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!

Post  countrynaturals 12/7/2019, 12:32 am

Bump! santa 

Hubby casually mentioned glassing in the mbr balcony to form a climate-controlled greenhouse (when the slider is open). It would cost a fortune, so it won't happen any time soon, but Christmas is for wishing and dreaming, and that doesn't cost a thing, so that's what I'm doing. love the idea
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 Empty 10 Gardener Gift Ideas

Post  OhioGardener 12/7/2019, 8:05 am

Of the tools he suggests, the Hori Hori garden knife is my favorite - I couldn't garden without it. (A.M. Leonard, where I got mine, calls them a "Soil Knife".)

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 Empty Re: All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!

Post  yolos 12/7/2019, 10:48 am

A new leaf vacuum/mulcher (battery and not gas ever again) and someone to fix/start my old leaf or small branch shredder.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 12/7/2019, 1:49 pm

A reliable battery-powered chipper/leaf shredder.  Lifetime contract with a landscaper to prune, pull weeds, etc.  (The weeds are in my flower beds and lawn.)
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/7/2019, 2:35 pm

yolos wrote:A new leaf vacuum/mulcher (battery and not gas ever again) and someone to fix/start my old leaf or small branch shredder.
Oh yeah. I've got a dead leaf/branch shredder. I tried replacing the capacitor, but that didn't work. I suspect it may be the motor bushings. Next time I guess I'll try a name-brand appliance, though they're all made in the same place ...
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/7/2019, 2:49 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Of the tools he suggests, the Hori Hori garden knife is my favorite - I couldn't garden without it. (A.M. Leonard, where I got mine, calls them a "Soil Knife".)

If you have the knife, can you dispense with the trowel?

He suggests gloves. Re gloves, my new theory is that pretty much all gloves wear out too quick, except those big thick ones that I hate to wear. So instead I get comfortable gloves in bulk. For the price of an expensive pair of gloves that I'll forget in the garden and the foxes will steal, I can get a whole box of them:

Box of Gloves

Once I discovered this, I started putting gloves everywhere I need them -- on the bike, near the garden, in the car, in the garage, etc. They're flexible enough that you can weed in them, but thick enough to protect your hands when running equipment, shoveling compost, etc. And it's not a tragedy when they get a hole or dropped in the garden.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/7/2019, 3:37 pm

markqz wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:Of the tools he suggests, the Hori Hori garden knife is my favorite - I couldn't garden without it. (A.M. Leonard, where I got mine, calls them a "Soil Knife".)

My question, too.

For the price of an expensive pair of gloves that I'll forget in the garden and the foxes will steal

I had no idea foxes wore gloves. darn funny

Once I discovered this, I started putting gloves everywhere I need them -- on the bike, near the garden, in the car, in the garage, etc. They're flexible enough that you can weed in them, but thick enough to protect your hands when running equipment, shoveling compost, etc. And it's not a tragedy when they get a hole or dropped in the garden.
yeppers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/7/2019, 3:57 pm

I don't think I need anything for the garden. Yes, gloves are an annual replacement but I usually buy the cheap brown cotton ones and any specialty ones, 2 sets at a time.

What I do want is a steam canner for tomatoes. The Victorio mentioned in: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18519-steam-canning

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/7/2019, 4:03 pm

countrynaturals wrote:

Apparently they will steal things to use to attract mates. Which might be to compensate for their mating voices, which sounds like someone receiving the Heimlich maneuver, only not as pleasant.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/7/2019, 4:26 pm

sanderson wrote:What I do want is a steam canner for tomatoes.  The Victorio mentioned in:  https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18519-steam-canning

Unfortunately, the link in that post is dead. Apparently the company has been consolidated under a new brand and with a new web site. Anyway, this seems to be the working link .

Maybe the aluminum one, at $56 ?
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:45 pm

Yes, the cheap one. Razz https://victoriostore.com/aluminum-steam-canner.html

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/7/2019, 6:01 pm

markqz wrote:

I have both, but I seldom use the trowel except at planting time. But, come to think of it, the knife has also been used for transplanting. I keep the knife in it's leather sheaf on my belt whenever I'm in the garden, and it is amazing how many times I reach for it. This is the description of it from the A.M. Leonard site:

"We redesigned our Classic Soil Knife to make it even better! We make the blade of the Leonard Deluxe Soil Knife using high-quality stainless-steel. This 6-inch blade features an extended dual-cut serrated edge and a built-in twine-cutting notch. We etch depth markings directly onto the blade.We equip the Leonard Deluxe Soil Knife with a comfortable, one-piece molded composite handle. This handle features a more rounded grip and a molded thumb rest. We also increased the diameter of the hook opening.The Leonard Deluxe Stainless-Steel Soil Knife works well for nearly any task. Use it to plant bulbs, flowers, and herbs. Its razor-sharp edge cleanly slices through plant roots, weeds, twine, or plant ties. It also works well for dividing plants, digging up rocks, and cleaning out cracks in your sidewalk or pavement. The blade withstands over 300 pounds of pressure, so it stands up to nearly any task.The Leonard Deluxe Soil Knife is the one gardening tool you cannot do without. Its extended dual-cut serrated edge gives you the sharpest edge possible. Etched inch markings ensure your plants and bulbs are planted at just the right depth. The built-in twine-cutting notch allows you to cut twine and plant markings without the need to switch tools. The one-piece molded handle provides a comfortable grip for all-day digging. We engineer this tool to give you years of use and back it with our lifetime warranty!"

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/8/2019, 1:11 am

I went on to the Leonard site and found something called a Garden Glide and I am very taken with that.  It saves using a wheelbarrow and is very, very simple and takes no room to store.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/8/2019, 4:32 am

I think a trowel is the main tool one needs for SFG. When I need to cut roots, I just borrow a knife from the kitchen. Then wash and resharpen.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/8/2019, 9:34 am

Kelejan wrote:I went on to the Leonard site and found something called a Garden Glide and I am very taken with that.  It saves using a wheelbarrow and is very, very simple and takes no room to store.
I'm a bit skeptical. By the time you pay Leonard's shipping, you've spent as much as on a wheelbarrow from Home Depot. And a wheelbarrow is endlessly useful. It can haul leaves and branches which would just fall off the glide. It can be used to mix MM or cement (well, my dad used them that way).  It can carry dirt, where only a few shovel-fulls would fit on the glide.

In the review I read, the Glide had already developed a hole after one day's used. That doesn't bode well. Also, that rope. If you have the Glide, be sure to store it out of the sun -- that rope is going to disintegrate.

So I guess, if you're really tight on space, or have a lot of rocks to move across grass, then maybe the Glide is OK. I do admit that sometimes I don't use the wheelbarrow, because I have stuff stored on top of it ... so darn ... now I'm starting to wish ... for a bigger shed Smile
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/8/2019, 9:42 am

markqz wrote:
Kelejan wrote:I went on to the Leonard site and found something called a Garden Glide and I am very taken with that.  It saves using a wheelbarrow and is very, very simple and takes no room to store.
I'm a bit skeptical. By the time you pay Leonard's shipping, you've spent as much as on a wheelbarrow from Home Depot.

The good news is that frequently AM Leonard has free shipping for everything. Just last week they had a free shipping special and I ordered some heavy garden tools that cost a lot to ship. In the past I have used their free shipping sales to purchase the 4 cu ft bags of Vermiculite, and one time I used it to buy one of their 6 cu ft steel wheelbarrows.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/8/2019, 2:13 pm

OhioGardener wrote:The good news is that frequently AM Leonard has free shipping for everything.
Do you get notified by email, or traditional mail?

Thanks!
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/9/2019, 8:07 am

markqz wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:The good news is that frequently AM Leonard has free shipping for everything.
Do you get notified by email, or traditional mail?

Both.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/9/2019, 11:44 am

As a Bucketeer, I have had my eye on this for a couple of years and someday when I have been a good gardener all year, Santa will bring me one.

https://www.worx.com/aerocart-wheelbarrow-yard-cart-wg050.html

Plus besides moving the buckets around I could move my fig trees in a couple of years. I just started growing figs so the trees right now are in gallon planters but with this I would be a man with a plan. I felt bad because I had all ten except for the Hori-Hori and just bought this year a new three piece set with the two trowels and the hand cultivator plus a hand pruner and leaf snip all from Stanley Tool because they were Stanley Tool, enough said. For me it is all about the tools. I even bought a Dibbler from Amazon this year and then couldn't find it when I went to plant my garlic but felt better that I had one. I just did what I do ever year I plant garlic, take an old wooden handle broken off from some shovel or hoe and mark 4" off at the top of the handle, turn upside down and poke 4" deep holes 6" apart.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 12/9/2019, 11:52 am

I have the Aerocart wheelbarrow.

The only shortcoming is its small capacity.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/9/2019, 1:29 pm

We have the Gorilla wagon and love it, but this one looks even better. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/9/2019, 2:09 pm

Dan in Ct wrote:As a Bucketeer, I have had my eye on this for a couple of years and someday when I have been a good gardener all year, Santa will bring me one.

https://www.worx.com/aerocart-wheelbarrow-yard-cart-wg050.html
That's one of those tools I'd like to try for a day before committing. I already use a dolly in gardening. When you have lots of branches or leaves, a dolly and a trash barrel work pretty well. Also good for moving a half barrel of water at a time. In their too-fast video, I don't see them moving a barrel at any point. There would be nothing solid behind the barrel to help stabilize it, so not sure how well that would work. The load capacity looks like a third of a regular wheelbarrow. I would especially like it if it could run around and do chores without a person present, like in the video Wink
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/10/2019, 5:38 pm

I have a 10 cu. ft. dual wheel wheelbarrow and a hand truck and probably why I haven't bought the Worx but they have a couple of tools that the wife bought and are pretty good at what they do. I don't do single wheel wheelbarrows anymore since I loaded one up with cinder blocks and it ended up flipping me like I was steer wrestling. I don't garden anymore with my cowboy hat or boots on anymore either, just in case there was some confusion among the gardening gods and goddesses that day. The sky was an usual pretty shade of blue that day with relatively few clouds. I could probably use a book on drip irrigation to help with my watering schedule and increase the productivity of the buckets, get it used and save some for seed money.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/10/2019, 6:20 pm

markqz wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:

Apparently they will steal things to use to attract mates. Which might be to compensate for their mating voices, which sounds like someone receiving the Heimlich maneuver, only not as pleasant.
LOLOL!  FUNNY!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/12/2019, 8:36 am

Santa dropped of a new Razor-Back Spading Fork for my early Christmas gift...  Very Happy 

All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List! - Page 2 Razor-10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next