Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? Toplef10Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? I22gcj10Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? Toplef10Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? I22gcj10Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 8:05 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ?

+12
sfg4uKim
Marc Iverson
kauairosina
camprn
jimmy cee
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
yolos
Lavender Debs
tdnmm
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? Empty Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ?

Post  tdnmm 5/11/2015, 10:25 am

Hi Everyone,
  Do you use a top layer of mulch when using mel's  mix.  If you do , and want to add compost
  later do you put if over the mulch or do you have to take the mulch away. 

Thanks
     Tom
tdnmm
tdnmm

Back to top Go down

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? Empty Re: Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ?

Post  Lavender Debs 5/11/2015, 10:37 am

Yes

Last year I did green wood chips and they were fantastic for keeping the mix moist without much added water in a drought year (I am in the PNW, drought here in nothing like a California drought... so far). However I do not want to let the chips get into the mix so I have to rake them back to fluff the mix or add compost. This year I have decided to use only fast break-down mulch like grass clippings, leaves (that have been run through the lawn mower) and straw. Slugs worry me, I did not see many slugs with the wood chips, but water use worries me even more.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? Empty Re: Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ?

Post  yolos 5/11/2015, 11:38 am

I use wheat straw as a mulch over my Mel's Mix (MM) unless the bed is intensively planted and then the veggies shade the MM somewhat.  When I take out one crop to replace it with another crop, I remove the mulch and add the compost.  It I am just trying to give the crop a boost, then I spread it on top of the mulch and water it in.  This does not work for all mulches depending on their density.  But wheat straw (unless it is shredded) has plenty of openings to allow the compost to filter down into the soil.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 5/11/2015, 12:12 pm

I'm in the heart of the worst drought area and we get HOT HOT HOT and dry in the summer.  So mulch is a must for me.  I use Ramial wood chips (branches and leaves chipped from limb branches under 3 inches diameter).  I also use straw or hay straw or sorgum grass at times.  I do much the same as Sanderson.

I most often use no-till practices so I place the compost or any material right on top and let it work itself down into the soil or my red wigglers will do it for me.  If I am planting starts, I will pull back the mulch, place some compost into the hole and plant the baby plant.  A lot of what I do is plant seeds, so for that I simply pull back the mulch or take it off until the seeds get a good start then gently replace it as they grow.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/11/2015, 12:19 pm

I removed the wood chips as best I can to add compost.  The pine needles are sometimes removed & sometimes left in place, depending on the time of year and what's happening.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/11/2015, 1:27 pm

Audrey and I live in hot, hot summer area of California. Bedding straw (cut in 4-6" pieces) in the beds and 5-gallon buckets, wood chips in the single plant pots. I cut a square of tulle material, slit one side so it fits around the plant and place tulle on Mel's Mix. To top dress with more compost during the long growing season, I lift the 4 corners of tulle and slip the compost underneath. I'm retired so I can do fancy little things. Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? Empty Thanks to All

Post  tdnmm 5/11/2015, 9:49 pm

Thank you everyone
tdnmm
tdnmm

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/28/2015, 2:59 pm

Anyone use newspaper as mulch? Torn into shreds? I have access to straw, also. Trying to level out the water situation at the root level for the tomatoes.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 7/28/2015, 3:17 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Anyone use newspaper as mulch?  Torn into shreds?  I have access to straw, also.  Trying to level out the water situation at the root level for the tomatoes.
I use both when conditions permit, both do nic
ely as long as paper is shredded,l I even cut straw in short pieces
1 foot squares are sooo easy to take care of...work on one and move to the next or come back tomorrow
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/28/2015, 3:28 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Anyone use newspaper as mulch?  Torn into shreds?  I have access to straw, also.  Trying to level out the water situation at the root level for the tomatoes.
I use both when conditions permit, both do nic
ely as long as paper is shredded,l I even cut straw in short pieces
1 foot squares are sooo easy to take care of...work on one and move to the next or come back tomorrow

OK, thanks Jimmy! I think it will help me out here with the heat/dry....which pales in comparison with what many other folks are experiencing!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/28/2015, 11:26 pm

tdnmm wrote:Hi Everyone,
  Do you use a top layer of mulch when using mel's  mix.  If you do , and want to add compost
  later do you put if over the mulch or do you have to take the mulch away. 

Thanks
     Tom

Yes, I use cold, unaged compost as a mulch. Works great and I can turn in under at the end of the season. Easy peasy.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/29/2015, 12:33 am

Mulch is worth it, even if you temporarily lift it to stick more compost underneath it. I recently did that.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? Empty do you use mulch over Mel's mix

Post  kauairosina 7/30/2015, 2:33 pm

We most assuredly use mulch over our beds.  Currently straw but we are growing something called Vitiver as a barrier and to cut down for mulch.  The spelling is probably wrong.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/31/2015, 1:37 am

I looked it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopogon_zizanioides If I understand correctly, you will cut it and lay it on top to act as mulch. Sounds interesting.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2015, 9:23 am

That is a very interesting and useful plant, Rosina!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? Empty mulches

Post  kauairosina 7/31/2015, 5:45 pm

Great article Sanderson.  I sure learned a lot from it and am sending it on to my grandson, Collin, who is the one who planted it.  It is vigorous but not invasive.  I think he will be quite interested in the various uses for it.  Quite a find.  Takes no care once planted but great for mulch, which is good because we do pay a pretty penny for straw.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/31/2015, 6:51 pm

Agree - interesting article about an interesting plant!

Our discussions about grazon a couple weeks ago made me very reluctant to use straw anymore, which I really love using otherwise. I don't really have the space to grow vetiver around here, but if I had my druthers, I think I'd grow plenty of that stuff just to use as a mulch.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 7/31/2015, 7:02 pm

If you can get a vetiver cutting it can grow in a very limited space.  Like about 2 feet square.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/31/2015, 7:42 pm

I wonder how many square feet of mulch would be needed to grow a square foot of crops, as a percentage, in a SFG. Thing is, my bed space is decent but it's still limited.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 7/31/2015, 8:05 pm

One of these days soon I will take a picture of our vetiver. I suspect it is pretty economical to grow (as far as space).  Doesn't travel according to the article.  How many squares or square feet do you have?
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/1/2015, 1:19 am

About 60 or 70, I guess ... about half in two raised beds, and half in various containers.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/1/2015, 10:01 am

Marc Iverson wrote:About 60 or 70, I guess ... about half in two raised beds, and half in various containers.

How much straw do you go through, Marc? Sounds like the county or state engineers use this grass for erosion control, maybe they have an idea of it's production as far as using xpcuttings for mulch?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/1/2015, 6:47 pm

It takes less than half a bale to cover all my stuff with straw.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  kauairosina 8/1/2015, 7:03 pm

Marc - probably not worth messing with another thing to grow.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 8/2/2015, 3:29 pm

Don't remember exactly where, but Mel says that in hotter climates you can make your beds 8" and fill the top 2" with some type of mulch to hold water.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Do you use a top layer of mulch on top of mel's mix ? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next