Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? Toplef10Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? I22gcj10Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? Toplef10Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? I22gcj10Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker?

4 posters

Go down

Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? Empty Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker?

Post  Windmere 3/7/2013, 11:43 am

Hello all~

I am fully ready to construct my garden beds. But I have a big question...

Because I am getting a roll of garden fabric that is about three times what I need... I will have extra. The roll that I am getting is the smallest available size. Because the roll is "generic" in the sense that it is manufactured by the nursery I'm buying from, it actually ends up costing less than a much smaller fabric I will be taking back to Lowe's. What's more, the Lowe's product lasts one season, while the generic nursery product lasts at least 5 years.

So.... I can double up on the garden fabric for each of my three beds. I am erecting my beds on grass. I think that factor might plat a role in how much I use.

Thanks to all who post regarding this. I NEED your opinions!

thinking
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? Empty Re: Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker?

Post  Hoggar 3/7/2013, 1:08 pm

Here is a link to another thread about weed block that might help.

weed-block
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? Empty Thanks... that thread was helpful... I forgot about it

Post  Windmere 3/7/2013, 2:51 pm

Thanks for refreshing my memory about this thread Hoggar. It completely answered my question.

Glad to have everyone's wisdom as a resource.
Very Happy
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? Empty Consider not using the weed block

Post  Hardcoir 3/7/2013, 6:13 pm

I thought I posted this somewhere prior, but I cannot find it. I have heard a certified SFG-instructor relate that she does not use weed block. Instead, she uses a bed of leaves over newspaper. This allows the worms in the ground to climb up into your Mel's Mix and ties the mix to the Earth.

I have not used weed block ever in any raised bed garden plots. We have minimal weed problems that can be plucked in about 90 seconds once a week. I don't think weed block is one of the Steadfast rules to qualify as a Square Foot Garden. If you live in a yard that has more weeds than grass, then maybe it is needed. However, our principle weed problem comes from airborne seed, and we do not consider dandelion to be a weed. We eat it and welcome the free superfood when it appears in our garden. When picked young, it is a wonderful addition to a salad.
Hardcoir
Hardcoir

Back to top Go down

Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker? Empty Re: Is a good idea to use a double layer of garden fabric / weed blocker?

Post  Dunkinjean 3/7/2013, 10:17 pm

I did put weed block on the bottom of my beds since I went directly onto the grass but I only put down 1 layer. The 1 layer has worked well for 3 yrs.

In the late fall when I am done with the garden, I clean it up, add compost and then cover all the boxes with weed block to protect it from animals, etc. for the winter.

Then when I uncover the boxes in the spring I just mix the soil a bit in each box, put in a grid and plant! Very Happy

You may need the additional weed block also for more boxes in the future and/or you can give some away if you know of anyone that can use it.
Good luck!
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 3/8/2013, 10:21 am

Ive had some tenacious weeds that have made it up through the bottom of my boxes, through weed-cloth + 3 layers of newspaper + 1 layer cardboard and 6 inches of soil. I now have a layer of plastic under every box, its open at he sides so they can drain and I have very happy worms that have found there way into my boxes. yesterday while I was topping off one of my boxes and mixing in the new MM with the old I found several large night crawlers that appeared to be very healthy.
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down