Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  trolleydriver 5/31/2016, 8:50 pm

Mrs TD harvested some of our rhubarb today and made a delicious pie. Yum!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/31/2016, 9:36 pm

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie one of my all time faves! Yum!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/31/2016, 10:09 pm

Today I harvested a head of escarole and cooked it up with onion, white beans, and a locally made 'old world' sausage, served over pasta, and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Delicious! The escarole was so much nicer than the beat up heads at the grocery store. sunny
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/31/2016, 11:50 pm

That does sound delicious.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/1/2016, 9:51 am

Since I have now achieved salad green independence; lots of greens!  Also have been harvesting the first radishes.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/1/2016, 10:11 am

I plan on eating a radish from my SFG today.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/1/2016, 12:04 pm

trolleydriver wrote:I plan on eating a radish from my SFG today.

I did it. I ate a radish.  
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 1280598131

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 IMG_1857_zps2zgnzyyh
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/1/2016, 1:28 pm

And then we had some chopped multiplier onion stems, chives and chive flowers with our lunch.

It's happening. The SFG is starting to produce.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Gardening-concept-2416125
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/1/2016, 1:38 pm

Oh cuteness!
cheers
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/1/2016, 2:47 pm

I LOVE IT! LOLROFL!  cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/1/2016, 7:19 pm

hungry that first veggie....usually a radish! I love them okay rahrah love love love love the idea
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Empty 3 words....

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/1/2016, 8:57 pm

Tokyo Cross Turnip. Just Do It.

THE BOMB. cherry Went out there to see if I needed to water (not yet) and saw that the turnips are gettin' there. Pulled one...glossy, white, amazing. Took a whole Black Seeded Simpson out getting ready to bolt and made supper. The turnip was so juicy and mild the likes of which I have never experienced in my life. I ate it outright before it could even get in my salad!

Makes me sad I will have to wait until August to put my next batch of these amazing things in the garden! WOW. So tender...sorry, now I am going on.

Salad was yummo, BSS, strawberries, pickled beets from my sister, and poppyseed dressing! Dog was drooling.... albino
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  p14shooter 6/1/2016, 9:37 pm

I am not eating what I thought I would be by now.  I to ate all the radish available to me today.  The rest are at least a week away, and the greens are slowly coming.  I could cut some beet greens but think I will wait for the actual beet.
p14shooter
p14shooter

Male Posts : 97

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/1/2016, 10:09 pm

p14shooter wrote:I am not eating what I thought I would be by now.  I to ate all the radish available to me today.  The rest are at least a week away, and the greens are slowly coming.  I could cut some beet greens but think I will wait for the actual beet.

Cold Spring here, too, P14! I did cut away on spinach and chard for a while until the lettuce took off.....it is a comin'
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/1/2016, 10:16 pm

I'm getting a lot of kale from my garden at the moment, and have been steaming it a lot, and adding a some to my morning potatoes o'brien. Delicious both ways.  The other day I took a pile of it and tried sanderson's suggestion of sauteing it with a little salt and pepper (and I also added a little turmeric).  Served it with a couple of fried eggs...

Oh. Wow.  I have a new morning favorite.  I like it almost as much as spinach, but you sure get a lot more of it from one plant, and mine are still producing like crazy, whereas the spinach was done two or three weeks ago.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/1/2016, 10:28 pm

CitizenKate wrote:I'm getting a lot of kale from my garden at the moment, and have been steaming it a lot, and adding a some to my morning potatoes o'brien.  Delicious both ways.  The other day I took a pile of it and tried sanderson's suggestion of sauteing it with a little salt and pepper (and I also added a little turmeric).  Served it with a couple of fried eggs...

Oh. Wow.  I have a new morning favorite.  I like it almost as much as spinach, but you sure get a lot more of it from one plant, and mine are still producing like crazy, whereas the spinach was done two or three weeks ago.

Ooo, sounds yummy, Kate! drooling

My kale is going strong too, spinach long gone. Bolted early. Will the kale bolt too? I have never grown it. It is so much milder and tastier than the grocery kind it is almost a different beast.

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/1/2016, 10:43 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
My kale is going strong too, spinach long gone.  Bolted early.   Will the kale bolt too?  I have never grown it.  It is so much milder and tastier than the grocery kind it is almost a different beast.  
Yes, I remember when you mentioned that about your spinach a while back.  Sounds like the spring you had in Ohio this year may have been a little too rough for them.  I knew mine were done when new sprouts were bolting right after the first pair of true leaves.  But the first 3 rounds of it that I planted had a good, long run this year.  My best year for spinach so far.  I've left some of the bolted plants in the beds to produce some seed for next year.  I was surprised how tall those spinach stalks can get - they're almost 3 feet high now.

I have no idea what to expect from the kale in its late season.  This is the first year I've grown it.  But at this point, I still see lots of tender new leaves exploding out of them.  No wonder it's becoming such a popular crop.  I have been quite impressed with it from day one.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/1/2016, 11:10 pm

Yes.  Kate, it was just the weirdest!  The spinach literally went from dormant to bolting in 2 weeks.  There were 2 sets of true leaves and then to flowers....what is that?  And it was early! Really early....

Smart for getting  some seed!   sunny cheers

Kale, wow, so different than anything commercially available!  I guess you could say that about anything we are growing?  It is so yummy? LOL, that is why we are growing that particular variety!  Doesn't ship well, doesn't store well...yeah, that is because it ROCKS rock on Yesssss....glad you are liking it too!

Ok, forced to be serious now.  What a Face What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 3085260134

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 6/1/2016, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Multiple issues)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/2/2016, 12:10 am

Basil. Gotta blanch it and freeze it, now. I've never done that before but I'm sure it won't be this pretty after that.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Basil10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  reynajrainwater 6/2/2016, 12:12 am

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 HelveticaNeue;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl240\partightenfactor0  \f0\fs24 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 <a href=What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 Image21}" />
Fresh corn. Yay!
reynajrainwater
reynajrainwater

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/2/2016, 12:31 am

Beautiful, Reyn. We love fresh corn, and grew it when we had a well, but now we're on city water, so we can't afford to grow it anymore. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/2/2016, 7:40 am

Everything looks wonderful, so pretty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 6/2/2016, 8:53 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Today I harvested a head of escarole and cooked it up with onion, white beans, and a locally made 'old world' sausage, served over pasta, and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Delicious! The escarole was so much nicer than the beat up heads at the grocery store. sunny

Sounds like my kind of cooking. I make a very similar "soup/stew" recipe and it's a delicious way to eat those healthy greens. I use garlic, too. We love garlic. Works with kale too. I have an over abundance of kale to use up.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/2/2016, 9:30 am

trolleydriver wrote:
I did it. I ate a radish.  
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 24 1280598131

trolleydriver wrote:And then we had some chopped multiplier onion stems, chives and chive flowers with our lunch.

It's happening. The SFG is starting to produce.

cheers
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/2/2016, 11:36 am

Kale will keep producing up to and even after light frosts; gets even sweeter then.  I usually do a late summer planting since the early ones do start fading after the summer heat.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next