Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  landarch 5/16/2016, 2:04 pm

picked a bunch of lettuce, strawberries, and sugar ann peas yesterday.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/16/2016, 6:54 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Big disappointment was the Chinese Red Meat radish from Baker' Heirlooms.  Not a single one formed a globe out of 20.  Not one even close.  White Icicle and Sparkler were dependable as always!
Isn't Chinese Red Meat (CRM) one of the 'fall radishes'? Last year I was researching radishes after my spectacular spring growing failure, and learned there were types for spring growing, and different types that did better in the fall. I'd picked the wrong ones (and did just about everything else wrong...) and didn't get any globes. In the fall -- much better, huge daikons, and a few watermelon radishes (think those are the same as CRM - just a different name.) There wasn't much to eat of my watermelon radishes, but that's a different issue - cabbage root maggots (or something like that.)

I had no idea there was such a thing?! How do you know what you have? Yes, they are watermelon radishes. Hmmmm. Wish I hadn't planted a huge swath of them. Still have seed left though.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/16/2016, 10:06 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Big disappointment was the Chinese Red Meat radish from Baker' Heirlooms.  Not a single one formed a globe out of 20.  Not one even close.  White Icicle and Sparkler were dependable as always!
Isn't Chinese Red Meat (CRM) one of the 'fall radishes'? Last year I was researching radishes after my spectacular spring growing failure, and learned there were types for spring growing, and different types that did better in the fall. I'd picked the wrong ones (and did just about everything else wrong...) and didn't get any globes. In the fall -- much better, huge daikons, and a few watermelon radishes (think those are the same as CRM - just a different name.) There wasn't much to eat of my watermelon radishes, but that's a different issue - cabbage root maggots (or something like that.)

I had no idea there was such a thing?!  How do you know what you have?  Yes, they are watermelon radishes.  Hmmmm.  Wish I hadn't planted a huge swath of them.  Still have seed left though.  
It's certainly not widespread information. Here's one mention:
https://www.botanicalinterests.com/articles/view/39/Growing-the-Best-Radish
They call them winter whereas I said fall, oops. Embarassed

Figuring out which radishes were better for spring and which for fall/winter required looking at the catalogs (online or print) and even then, I couldn't figure them all out. Generally (but with exceptions) the date to maturity was a good clue -- spring radishes listed around 30 days, and the fall/winter ones listed around 50-60 days. 

Maybe you could leave a part of your huge swath and see if you can get them to go to seed? They really are nifty radishes. My former CSA had them as part of the share for a year or two, though I preferred them cooked over raw. (Oddly, I like horseradish, but radish bite -- not so much.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/17/2016, 8:13 am

Thanks for the info! Baker's has beautiful packaging, but sometimes the growing info is a bit sketchy on the packages. I will give them another try this fall, I get it about the bite, I love horseradish too, but sometimes the heat from a hot radish is just yucky! One is OK, but not the whole bunch!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/18/2016, 9:10 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Thanks for the info!  Baker's has beautiful packaging, but sometimes the growing info is a bit sketchy on the packages.  I will give them another try this fall, I get it about the bite, I love horseradish too, but sometimes the heat from a hot radish is just yucky!  One is OK, but not the whole bunch!  
I agree on Baker's seed packets - pretty, but I'd love more growing information. Their print catalog has a blurb about why they don't always include days to maturity or growing zones because they aren't precise... but, nonetheless, I found myself going elsewhere on the web for variety info so I could at least get a rough idea of whether something was great for my location, borderline depending on when I started indoors, or just no way.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 5/18/2016, 1:40 pm

Hello All! I picked our first Summer veggies yesterday, 3 yellow squash, 2 cucumbers, and 1 jalapeno. I also picked some cilantro for our tacos and nachos dinner. Nothing beats fresh herbs when cooking! Tomatoes are a few weeks from being ready and we can't wait.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 Mayhar10

Ryan
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/18/2016, 1:53 pm

Oh boy... Shades of things to come! They look perfect. Thanks Ryan!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/18/2016, 6:38 pm

Summer in a picture! Thanks, NAR, glad you posted!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/19/2016, 3:27 am

Nice produce!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/19/2016, 10:23 pm

Matchless lettuce leaves on chicken salad sandwich. Perfect!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/21/2016, 7:53 pm

Finally, I'm eating from the garden! cheers
Wednesday - Parsley, chives, salad burnet, and mint (not grown in the garden) for tabouli
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 Taboul10

Thursday - lettuce, arugulas, lamb's quarters, and two radishes (Leda and Pink Summercicle) for salad
  (and a salad dressing made of dehydrated cherry tomatoes from last year ...or maybe I recreated tomato sauce...)
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 Salad_10

Friday - spinach, lamb's quarters, beet greens, 1 collard leaf, 2 kale little leaves, parsley, a few small mustard leaves, and a few radish leaves -- to cook up to go with eggs
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 Cookin10
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/22/2016, 4:34 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/22/2016, 6:08 pm

Today we had minced meat with thick gravy & baked potatoes with our own ANSFG perennial Kale .. It's the only veg left in the garden from last year save for some new season Asparagus which this year ( fourth year grown from seed )  has finally started to produce a few spears .

We sampled three each ( 9 in total ) and very nice they were with lashings of best butter .

We have two promising spring cabbages that  I have my eye on , but I can't harvest them for anther six days because I had to spray them with a green fly & cabbage white butterfly caterpillars treatment .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/22/2016, 7:02 pm

Nice!

Radishes today! Sparkler and white icicle .
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/23/2016, 4:14 am

Plantoid, Did you use BT? Are you letting them grow more so the sprayed leaves can be removed at harvest?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/23/2016, 4:28 pm

Perfect cucumber (Muncher or Pickling), skin and all. First produce of the year. Plus a little bit of over-wintered yellow Swiss chard. I miss the winter greens.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/23/2016, 4:39 pm

My photo looks just like Beetles! Laughing
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 02812
Chard and spinach are under the collards, lettuce, kale and chives.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/23/2016, 10:11 pm

Matchless lettuce on a ham salad sandwich! Side of white icicle radish and a dill! Dill from ?Krogers!

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/24/2016, 5:52 pm

Big bowl of strawberries for after dinner dessert.  No picture, too excited, ate it all then thought ooh should've taken a picture..
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/24/2016, 6:26 pm

Yum! drooling
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/25/2016, 5:05 am

My second perfect cucumber - Pickling. That first one was a Muncher. I'm so glad I changed from the varieties that were hit and miss with bitterness.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/26/2016, 8:35 am

Salad greens; including a variety of lettuces, spinach, chard and a few kale leaves and the first 'Early Scarlet Globe' radishes.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 5/26/2016, 12:33 pm

Salad here as well.  Just love this time of year for a salad from garden to the table is 5 minutes.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 22 P5220008
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/26/2016, 1:06 pm

I'm loving these fresh salads too! Your radishes are beautiful! Mine are so tiny. I have to pull them too soon because something keeps eating them. Slugs I think.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 5/26/2016, 1:48 pm

Thank you CC.  They are still very mild right now.  My daughter said she like to fry radishes Shocked   I need to get her recipe and give it a try.  She is an excellent cook so I bet she will make it good.    The bok choy is bolting and the spinach is just about there as well so tons of salads the next few days.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next