Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 Toplef10Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 I22gcj10Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 Toplef10Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 I22gcj10Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method

+21
AtlantaMarie
Razed Bed
princezoe
Windmere
mschaef
has55
jonyosh
Turan
slimbolen99
April
CapeCoddess
grownsunshine
jimmy cee
camprn
GWN
llama momma
yolos
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
plantoid
sanderson
25 posters

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 Empty Re: Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method

Post  has55 1/14/2015, 10:38 pm

audrey where did you buy your 5 gallon buckets screw on lids? All I can find locally is snap on tops, which are hard to pry off.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 Empty Re: Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/14/2015, 11:32 pm

Winco grocery stores have a bulk foods department and they sell 2 and 5 gallon food grade containers that you can buy screw on lid for.  The bucket was just under $5 the lid was $7.50 or so.  

You might be able to buy them online through winco if you don't have their stores near you.  I LOVE their bulk food dept.  Inexpensive and good food.  Lots of gluten free options too.

Here's the compost we picked up.  It calculated to an estimated 5.2 yards for the price of 4 ($52)

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 20150114_100805_resized_zpsab1b25b8

This is very close up so the wood pieces are actually very tiny for the most part - equivalent to 1/2" screened.  If I were to use it in the MM I would screen with my 1/4" hardware cloth screen and remove those, but most of my compost is applied to the surface as no-till so it would be absolutely fine.  The color is a deep coffee grounds color, it's washed out in the picture.

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 20150114_100705_resized_zps8b805f72
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/15/2015, 10:46 am

now that's some good looking compost. the prices is awesome. great deal.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/15/2015, 4:15 pm

Yes, Haas it is. Especially when I calculate my labor per hour to have produced my own 5 cu yd pile, let alone how many months it would have taken! I will always make my own, but if the quality is as good as it looks it will be very helpful to have on hand.

I just noticed the typo in the name of this thread - I've been posting in it for how long, LOL!  I don't think I'm suited to be a detective or an editor Shocked
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/15/2015, 4:32 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Winco grocery stores have a bulk foods department and they sell 2 and 5 gallon food grade containers that you can buy screw on lid for.  The bucket was just under $5 the lid was $7.50 or so.  

You might be able to buy them online through winco if you don't have their stores near you.  I LOVE their bulk food dept.  Inexpensive and good food.  Lots of gluten free options too.

I followed the suggestions of some people here and elsewhere that suggested going to supermarkets, especially the bakery sections, and asking if they have any buckets they were going to throw out. I've gotten dozens of free buckets that way, usually with lids, from a variety of places. Every store is different; Safeway wanted to get manager approval from a manager that was almost never there, limit me to two, and charge me 25 or 50 cents. Alpha Beta gave me stacks. A Japanese restaurant -- supposedly Asian places are great for five-gallon buckets because they use them for soy sauce and go through tons of the stuff -- was just a weird experience because the people were odd and alternately quite nice and weirdly suspicious and dodgy, so I stopped going there.

But every town has markets and restaurants. It doesn't really hurt to ask. All they do is recycle the buckets anyway, and would just as soon have them out of their hair.

P.S.: That is some great looking compost!

And grats on all the free coffee grounds. I can't get those easily or cheaply around here; there are people coming for them early every day.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/15/2015, 5:02 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I just noticed the typo in the name of this thread - I've been posting in it for how long, LOL!  I don't think I'm suited to be a detective or an editor Shocked
 Reminds me of a recent TV show where people were asked the following question:  How many of each animal did Moses take into the Ark?"

Thank you for the photo of Gallo compost, Audrey.   drooling   When I am over this stupid cold and the air quality is better, hubby and I will get some for the flower beds and my neighbor's flower beds.  Maybe screen some for the SFG!

I need to get some free buckets for tomatoes this summer.  Optimistic, aren't I, thinking I will tomatoes this time.

Okay, spelling corrected.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/15/2015, 5:13 pm

Great ideas Marc! If I lived in town I would hunt them up for certain. It's just that we have so much to do when we get down the mountain we never fit in those "I would like to do...." on the list!

However, you can buy the screw on lids for other 5 gallon buckets. They're a two piece system. You rubber mallet the ring on to your bucket then the screw on part works on the ring.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/15/2015, 5:16 pm

sanderson wrote:
Thank you for the photo of Gallo compost, Audrey.   drooling   When I am over this stupid cold and the air quality is better, hubby and I will get some for the flower beds and my neighbor's flower beds.  Maybe screen some for the SFG!
I just spread my first wheelbarrow load. It is really heavy stuff! You can smell the cow manure in the mix (composted, but you can smell it). Because of that, I'm going light on top dressing with it to make sure it isn't going to be a problem to any existing plants.

My dogs are flattening my pile as it's around 100 degrees and they're sunning and warming in it. Oh to have a dog's life Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/15/2015, 6:38 pm

@audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I just noticed the typo in the name of this thread - I've been posting in it for how long, LOL!  I don't think I'm suited to be a detective or an editor Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 Icon_eek
LOL
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 1/16/2015, 8:45 am

I am thinking about trying this method. My problem is I'm house siting for my in laws. They are out of town til march 4. She does raised beds but rows in them and won't do the squares for sfg. She actually got me into sfg so I just think she went back to how she was raise. Now my questioned: using this method I should have compost before she gets back, right? Are paper towel alright to put in the pile? There are some horse farms near where their house is could I just call them to get horse poo if so how should I ask? Should I offer to pay for it? Do I need to contain the pile with some type of fencing or netting or just pile it up? Thanks for all the insight into this method and help.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/16/2015, 2:01 pm

mschaef, Yes, you have enough time, but it is a commitment once you start. Have you read through this Topic from the beginning? If not, please do. For browns, I would stay with dead leaves, maybe used bedding straw, and leave the paper and wood products for longer traditional compost piles. Most horse facilities have a pile of manure that you are welcome to shovel into 5 gal buckets and drive away with. Just go there and ask to see the owner, manager, or other person who knows the facility rules, to get permission. No, you do not pay for it. If they want money, say thank you and leave, and go to the next place!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 1/16/2015, 3:42 pm

Sanderson yes I have read through the thread and internet links too. I realizes the commitment need and have two boys the will be helping as needed. They just don't realize yet what I'm going to be having them do, lol. I going to make phone calls instead of driving around. Thanks for the advice.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/21/2015, 1:07 pm

Have fun making your pile!  Mine finally decided to heat up and has crept it's way to 130.  I'm just going to leave it and watch each day until I see it dropping and then turn it.  I'm not in a hurry for it and history tells me when I have a pile that's slow to heat up turning it can sometimes kill its heating rather than keep it going.

I'm getting almost a 5 gallon bucket of coffee grounds a week from the coffee shop :-)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/21/2015, 3:12 pm

What a wonderful source you have going!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 1/21/2015, 11:05 pm

That awesome about the coffee grounds. I need to finish gather everything to start this weekend. I have all the brown leaves I could need and 5 gallon bucket worth of greens. I seem to be unable to host pictures from my tablet but I thinks that more me needing to figure it out. Lol. Could you all give my a estimate about how much of everything I need? Ie will 5 gallons of greens be enough for a 3x3x3 pile.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/22/2015, 12:31 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Have fun making your pile!  Mine finally decided to heat up and has crept it's way to 130.  I'm just going to leave it and watch each day until I see it dropping and then turn it.  I'm not in a hurry for it and history tells me when I have a pile that's slow to heat up turning it can sometimes kill its heating rather than keep it going.

I'm getting almost a 5 gallon bucket of coffee grounds a week from the coffee shop :-)
If I give my local Starbucks two or three days notice, they will begin accumulating coffee grounds in a bag just for me.  They'll then give me a call to tell me my grounds are ready for pickup.  It's wonderful!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/22/2015, 2:25 am

Mschaef,  One of the hardest things about building a pile is visualizing the sheer volume of material it takes to fill 27 cubic feet (3x3x3).  If you start with 6" of leaves, water well, then add 1-2' of poop and veggies and water well, the weight makes it sink at bit.  Each layer makes the pile higher and heavier and sink more.  I have been using at least 30+ gallons of horse poop, 25-30 gallons of fruits and veggies, 5 gallons of coffee grounds.  5 gallon buckets as topped off.  Thank goodness you have tons of leaves.  Plus chicken poo? What are you calling "5 gallons of greens?"

Anyone else?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  princezoe 1/22/2015, 3:56 am

It is challenging to collect all the ingredients of a compost  pile in the size the compost pile needs.
I think it is impossible, just collect as much as you can because if you chop grass, leaves, newspaper etc it gets smaller as it was

My question is what do you do with your leftover ?
I put a lot in plastic bags, like grass, leaves, coffee, manure.
I think fruit is more difficult to store for 8 weeks
princezoe
princezoe

Male Posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/22/2015, 5:04 am

Richard, so true. However, chopping is really helpful for composting. Fruits and veggies can be stored in the winter outside if it is cold. I put them in one leaf bin during the winter and the sink in and mostly decomposed come spring. I use that leaf material for the first compost, April or May, with manure, coffee and anything I can freeze/refrigerate those last weeks of "winter." You can store some things in bins, cages, garbage cans until you are ready. Leaf pile, dried grass, flowers, coffee, shredded branches (wood chips). Then, when you have enough, make a big manure run and build the pile in layers, wetting thoroughly. In the fall, make a winery run and manure run for the last compost pile of the year. If there is a wood shop business, see if you can get their wood shavings and saw dust. (no plywood or treated/painted wood products)

My composting season is in the summer when the Farmer Markets are in full swing. If we get a heat wave, I really score! Two or 3 hours out in the heat, a lot of produce is past selling. It takes me hours to chop it in the kitchen watching TV, and I have to use it all in the pile within 24 hours.

Have you been reading the "leaf mold" topics recently. Is there any place that wouldn't mind if you rake their leaves for your collection?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 1/22/2015, 8:04 am

Sanderson my 5 gallons of greens are all since Saturday. They are vegetables and fruit waste from the kitchen. Due to health issues right now I can't eat much solid food so I have to either juice or make a smoothie. Lot of green by products for the compost.  Very Happy which is one of the reasons I decided to do a compost bins that will be ready for spring planting.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/22/2015, 8:18 am

I may have hit the jack pot again..????  I'll be careful not to push tooooo much .
I stopped off at my local grocery store, A large chain locally owned.
Talked to the new produce mgr about some discarded veggies...
He said sure, call anytime, stop in anytime, if they have some it's mine...
Last years supplier for me went sour, I had to deal with another mgr who appeared to be scared of doing something out of the ordinary....I just let that go, it was his decision.
I sharpened up an ice scraper, with the scraps in thos heavy boxes, I just slice it all....at least chop it up some before adding to the piles.Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 11 Shredd10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/22/2015, 3:43 pm

Windmere wrote:
audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Have fun making your pile!  Mine finally decided to heat up and has crept it's way to 130.  I'm just going to leave it and watch each day until I see it dropping and then turn it.  I'm not in a hurry for it and history tells me when I have a pile that's slow to heat up turning it can sometimes kill its heating rather than keep it going.

If I give my local Starbucks two or three days notice, they will begin accumulating coffee grounds in a bag just for me.  They'll then give me a call to tell me my grounds are ready for pickup.  It's wonderful!
boy windmere, that starbuck loves you. what a blessing.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/22/2015, 4:07 pm

You are lucky. There's a lot of competition for the grounds at the 3 Starbucks closest to me. I can call, plead to set them aside for Mrs. Anderson, and when I get there at 8 pm, someone else got them. Sad
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/22/2015, 4:16 pm

sanderson wrote:You are lucky.  There's a lot of competition for the grounds at the 3 Starbucks closest to me.  I can call, plead to set them aside for Mrs. Anderson, and when I get there at 8 pm, someone else got them.  Sad
bad Starbuck. bad Starbuck.  Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/23/2015, 12:47 pm

I turned my pile yesterday - whew!  Fresh damp cow manure makes a HEAVY pile.  It finally, slowly inched up to 130 and then was dropping.

Resting temp when turned yesterday afternoon was 80 but it's climbed back up to 100 this morning so we'll see when I need to turn again.  

Whew!  I'm out of gardening shape, turning that pile was hard work, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next