Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 Toplef10Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 I22gcj10Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 Toplef10Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 I22gcj10Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method

+21
AtlantaMarie
Razed Bed
princezoe
Windmere
mschaef
has55
jonyosh
Turan
slimbolen99
April
CapeCoddess
grownsunshine
jimmy cee
camprn
GWN
llama momma
yolos
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
plantoid
sanderson
25 posters

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 Empty Re: Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/7/2014, 1:30 pm

sanderson wrote:Jealous, jealous!!  Just be careful not to take the fans or whatever they are called.  I guess the reproductive part. Just woke up late today and still on first cup. reading
Why would that be? I have never gathered seaweed for the garden so I'm completely in the dark :-)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 Empty Re: Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method

Post  sanderson 11/7/2014, 1:53 pm

I figure that the ocean is the depository of trace elements, both good and bad. Our soil is stationary so we don't get alluvial floods to recharge our soil of these trace elements. So, adding a little ocean product brings our soil back a little bit to the primordial "sea soup" condition. I distributed that one compost pile among all the boxes/pots.

Our kelp/sea weed is different looking from the East coast kelp. Put a bag of ice on it if you aren't collecting just before you drive home. By the time we got home, the whole mass was dripping with giant slim (elephant snot as someone called it). Being in the city, I had to dig a hole in which to pour and cover the stinky rinse water.

Don't dry it. I regret doing it. I couldn't crumble it, so I tried an old fashion meat grinder. Nope. Ended up cutting it with a butcher knife and even that wasn't easy. Tough stuff. No wonder the sea otters anchor themselves to it for sleeping.

Have a wonderful time.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/7/2014, 2:32 pm

So I'll harvest as we're heading home.  It will go in bags in the back of our truck.  I have a chipper shredder so if I cut it into 12-18" pieces it should chop it up for me without wrapping around the core (an issue with viney type things).  

Good to know your experience.  I haven't been to the beach other than in San Diego, so I don't know what kind of seaweed we have beside kelp.  I'll look for smaller things if they're around.  

Smell is no big deal on 5 acres and where the compost pile is, the prevailing wind is always away from the house.  It is right next to the dog run so they may not like it much, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/7/2014, 7:29 pm

Just got back from the rental. Double bag it or use 5 gallon buckets with an inside garbage bag.

If it seems to binder up your chipper shredder, add lots of leaves or hay or something so it doesn't get in a gooey mess.

Photos and legal stuff:

http://arcadianabe.blogspot.com/2012/03/rules-for-foraging-on-public-land.html

http://arcadianabe.blogspot.com/2012/05/kelp-and-other-seaweed-snacks.html

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=80256&inline=1

We had a Fish and Game truck drive by us when while we were collecting washed- up sea weed and had one bucket. We we either near Grand Ave or Pier Avenue entrances (entrances for camping, RVs and AVTs. So, you shouldn't have any trouble collecting the washed up sea weed.

Enjoy!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/10/2014, 1:55 pm

I didn't see your post until this morning as we were already gone. However, I brought 3 large 50 gallon trash bags and simply filled them until they were getting too heavy to lift. I picked up the seaweed that was up toward the high tide level and had already started to dry a little bit.

They didn't turn to slime on the drive home - probably because it's almost winter. 2/3 got laid right on top of a new bed I'm making that will compost in place all winter and 1/3 got chopped up and mixed into the compost pile I started before I left.

Its temp was at 140 when I got home last night. I added some more straw along with the seaweed and was amazed at how quickly there is nothing green showing in the pile (the chipper shredder material breaks down so quickly). The whole pile was green and tan when I left and it's already well on it's way to dark chocolate brown.

Composting is such fun Laughing
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 11/10/2014, 5:27 pm

I Googled "southern california seaweed nuclear 2014" for articles about kelp along the pacific west coast and the possible radiation affects from the nuclear disaster in Japan.  Some scientists are worried and others are not....just something to think about I guess. I'm holding off on my decision to use kelp until I do a bit more reading.

Also here are the Kelp Harvesting Laws in Calif: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/kelp.asp
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 11/11/2014, 7:03 am

25*F outside (along with a 20-30mph wind), but it's a cozy 135*F inside the most recently turned compost pile.

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 Compos11
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/11/2014, 7:47 am

Tis a balmy overcast moist 13 oC here in the UK @ 13.45 hrs . 
I took the lid of one of my Dalek composters to find  zillions of worms & worm eggs plus a few fruit flies .
  You could feel the warmth of the composting materials on your face as the lid came off.

Please keep the frost over your side of the pond Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/11/2014, 8:01 am

Plantoid

I had to smile at your compost heat and finding loads of worms. Congratulations and Bravo!
cheers
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/11/2014, 11:54 am

I'm going to have to watch the temperatures on my pile all day today with 160 this morning less than 24 hours after turning it.  YIKES!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 11/11/2014, 1:17 pm

What do you suppose causes it to be too hot?  Too much water?  Too much manure type material?  I've gotten up to 150 with just leaves and grass, but never higher.
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/11/2014, 1:43 pm

160 degrees is okay for day 5, but I have to watch to make certain it doesn't climb higher or it will kill off the microbes we want to be composting the material and only anaerobic microbes will survive the heat.  

I'm not certain what is making it this hot.  This pile is probably 40% fresh branches with green leaves, 40% horse manure and 20% kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, seaweed, and straw.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/11/2014, 6:02 pm

The new compost is hovering between 155 and 160.  I've been checking it every couple hours.  I think it's peaked.

5 large wheelbarrow loads from the last batch of compost have now been spread on new gardens for next year.  It didn't need to sit a week since it's going into gardens that are being put to bed for the winter.  I covered a swath about 3 feet wide and 25 feet long, 3-4 inches deep.  To finish the beds they will be covered with 8 inches of mixed straw and wood chip mulch that will continue to break down over the winter.  

I also turned over the lasagna style layers ofc material on a 4 x 8 foot bed I created in a similar fashion, except without a compost base.  Straw seeds and weed seeds from raw horse manure needs to be turned so they are disturbed and don't continue to grow.  The bed was originally 18 inches deep and is already composted down a couple of inches.  You should see the worms that have moved into this bed!

Tomorrow I turn my new compost and move it into the bin I just emptied.  I'm finishing clean up as much as possible a little each day.  By the time winter hits I should be ready to curl up with my seed catalogs and plan next year Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/11/2014, 7:11 pm

AJR it seems to me that you have too much readily available nitrogen & phosphates by way of using too much horse muck at once & the sea weed . 

The nitrogen & oxygen feeds the bacteria & fungi , the more excess there is  the hotter the pile gets for a while .

If your worried about too high a temperature  , poke a bar /tube down through the pile several times and hose in some cold water down each hole.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/11/2014, 9:18 pm

You are likely right, planetoid.  However, the heat will be good for burning up all the weed seeds from the horse manure.  It seems to have stabilized at 155-160.

Thanks for the tip, I'm certain that will come in handy in the future.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 11/12/2014, 3:52 pm

Ok, I've done a bit of reading about the nuclear disaster in Japan the radiation affect on the West Coast ecosystem, including seaweed. This article basically sums up what most articles are saying with scientific backup. As you can imagine, a lot of testing is going on.

"It will take about three years from the time of the incident for the radiation plume to reach the West Coast, which would be early next year. Recent testing of migratory fish, including tissue samples collected from Pacific bluefin tuna caught off the California coast, assessed radiation levels and potential effects on marine food webs far away from Japan. Trace amounts of radioisotopes from the Fukushima plant were found, although the best available science puts them at levels below those naturally occurring in the environment around us. Natural, or background radiation, is found in many sources, including food items, medical treatments and air travel."
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/12/2014, 4:16 pm

Good info - thanks for continuing to research this. At least this batch of seaweed should be fine then.

My dogs are in love with the stuff. They keep sneaking into my garden and where I laid it as a mulch, they're grabbing pieces and running away to go eat them Laughing
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/13/2014, 10:58 am

For my records:  day 3 and 4 160 degrees.

Turned Nov. 12, base temp after turning, 120, currently 140 after 24 hours.

Scheduled turns:
14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24

I finally had to cover my seaweed with some plastic fencing laid on top of the fallow garden to keep the dogs out - who would have thought they would want to eat it?!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 11/13/2014, 11:52 am

AJ, a friend just told me she feeds kelp to her cats for plaque control.   I found this about it Seaweed for Reducing Dental Plaque & Tartar in Dogs
You have intelligent dogs!

Meanwhile back in the compost~  Mine has gone into hibernation even in the greenhouse, -15 is just too much apparently.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 11/13/2014, 1:04 pm

Maybe I'll chew on some this weekend. I have a dentist appoitment on Monday. Wink
160 & 140?! Awesome!! The dogs even know that this is going to be the best pile yet and want in on the action  rock on

Cal Poly Pomona isn't too far from my house. They have cow & sheep manure mixed and straw. Yahoo!!! Now I should have access to free cow, horse, sheep manures and straw. Hope to start my new pile soon. Busy next week, but hopefully I'll be able to start the pile in 2 weeks.
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/13/2014, 1:08 pm

Turan - that was a great little article. Who knew?! So sorry about you frigid temps, YIKES! We think low 20s is bitter cold around here Shocked

GrownSunshine - that's an awesome source.  It will make composting super easy for you.  just mix in anything else you can gather from your yard, garden, neighbors, leaves, kitchen waste and you're ready to roll!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 7 Empty New, FREE raised beds!

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/14/2014, 1:13 am

A friend is giving me 2 stage risers that were built out of 4 x 8 sheets of plywood with 2 x 6 sides.  I'm thinking of just drilling holes in the plywood which I believe is 3/4"  How often would you put a drainage hole?   I was thinking 4 in each 4x4 section of the 4x8.  

I bought Peat Moss today, have coarse vermiculite and a batch of compost brewing so I'll make at least one bed up depending on how much MM I'm able to make out of the compost batch.  

My lettuce has been disappearing down out of my in ground beds the last two weeks so I'm going to raise them on some left over patio pavers we have to discourage below ground critters.

Hopefully we get started on Saturday!

Ooops, I intended this to be a new post, but I'm sure you guys will have enough experience to answer my question Smile
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/14/2014, 1:52 am

I'm so happy for you regarding the seaweed. bounce 140* is a sweet temp.

I may start a partial pile today when DH mows the lawn. Just a few inches of straw and green grass and kitchen waste from the freezer. No leaves so far but they are starting to change colors on the trees. I don't know when I will get a Berkeley pile going.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/14/2014, 1:58 am

As far as holes, Mel's states one in the center of each sq ft and one in each of the 4 corners. So, a critter is eating the lettuce? We just finished watching Nat Geo on voles, moles and shrews. Love raised beds in so many ways! Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/16/2014, 11:23 am

Turn #2 on the 14th, 120 base temp after turning, 140 after 24 hours
                       15th, 150 in the morning, 160 by afternoon.

Turn #3 on the 16th, 125 base temp after turning.

By the way, I just have to say that composting seaweed can be a little unnerving when you live in snake country and you're composting kelp.  I tossed a load over to the next pile and it looked like a snake launched into flight!!!!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next