Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? Toplef10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? I22gcj10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? Toplef10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? I22gcj10what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

+59
Kiwidave
ralitaco
AtlantaMarie
milt48
Scorpio Rising
SFGHealthCoach
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
FRED58
MitchHardy
Yardslave
Marc Iverson
sanderson
dk54321
tomthebuilder
jimmy cee
sfgteachers
H_TX_2
Muckmuck
Windmere
donnainzone5
DirtFarmer
sfg4uKim
ddemeo
Windsor.Parker
bnoles
llama momma
Lindacol
BertieFox
Triciasgarden
toledobend
Kelejan
plantoid
GWN
Unmutual
walshevak
brenda g
ramarks
SwampCatNana
sweetgale
Nicola
CharlesB
nanny
J_in_HamiltonON
Laydera
westie
squaredeal
landarch
cheyannarach
claudiamedic
memart1
CapeCoddess
Goosegirl
RoOsTeR
rowena___.
camprn
southern gardener
greatgranny
crs
63 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? Empty what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

Post  crs 6/8/2012, 9:48 am

contents from my sweeper, dirt and dog and cat hair
crs
crs

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? Empty Re: what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

Post  greatgranny 6/8/2012, 10:19 am

I never thought of the vacuum cleaner stuff. That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Smile
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? Empty Re: what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?

Post  southern gardener 6/8/2012, 1:14 pm

dryer lint and hair from when I cut hair, paper, not glossy but just paper. It's considered a "brown" too which I need sometimes. Good topic!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/8/2012, 1:26 pm

Used plain paper plates, napkins and paper towels (cheap brand of the kind that are not plastic reinforced).

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 6/8/2012, 1:32 pm

http://www.romesticity.com/2010/06/5-unexpected-things-you-can-put-in-your-composter.html

rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/8/2012, 1:33 pm

Chicken feathers, horse hair from trail and mane.

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/8/2012, 1:43 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Chicken feathers, horse hair from trail and mane.
HA HA, funny you should mention the feathers... I was washing my pillows last weekend and when I opened up the dryer.... Feathers everywhere Shocked.
IT was so ridiculous,,, I was laughing so hard because it wasn't worth getting upset about it, Very Happy but what a pain in the neck... my guess is I will be picking up feathers for months in the laundry area and into the compost they will go.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/8/2012, 1:50 pm

I put in the vacuum cleaner bag used for clean-up when I cut Hubby's hair. The only thing that little Mighty Mite is used for is hair collection. Is gray a 'brown' or a 'green'? Razz

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/8/2012, 4:27 pm

camprn wrote:
RoOsTeR wrote:Chicken feathers, horse hair from trail and mane.
HA HA, funny you should mention the feathers... I was washing my pillows last weekend and when I opened up the dryer.... Feathers everywhere Shocked.
IT was so ridiculous,,, I was laughing so hard because it wasn't worth getting upset about it, Very Happy but what a pain in the neck... my guess is I will be picking up feathers for months in the laundry area and into the compost they will go.

rofl too funny!

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/8/2012, 6:03 pm

Shrimp & lobster shells and tails. Don't ask me why but it just feels right.

Oh, and I read somewhere on there to use empty tp rolls, so I started putting those in along empty paper towel rolls.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? Empty put it in the compost

Post  memart1 6/8/2012, 6:15 pm

Dryer lint
Thread clippings
Pressed paper egg cartons
Outdated spices
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  claudiamedic 6/8/2012, 6:50 pm

Goosegirl wrote:I put in the vacuum cleaner bag used for clean-up when I cut Hubby's hair. The only thing that little Mighty Mite is used for is hair collection. Is gray a 'brown' or a 'green'? Razz

GG

funny post

I need more brown...besides paper products, what else is found in urban homes that I can use?
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Female Posts : 121

http://www.claudiasfamily.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/8/2012, 7:05 pm

I threw in some old bee comb that was a little moldy in spots... it sat in there for a while and I rethunk the decision. I retrieved the comb and will uses it elsewhere.... It didn't get any moldier sitting at the top of the compost heap for a week... very interesting... Very Happy :scratch:

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/8/2012, 8:19 pm

Hubby cleaned fish and put the scraps in the tumbler, I told him it was his baby now, ick. Please tell me this is a good thing... I had a bunch of stuff to throw in there today (coir pots, peat pots) after all that planting opened it up and gag, maggots. I managed to flip it once but that is it, I was afraid of them. Do I just leave it alone? Sorry if you are all laughing at me, first time composter here...
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/8/2012, 8:22 pm

Do I just leave it alone?

Yippers Very Happy

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/8/2012, 9:27 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Hubby cleaned fish and put the scraps in the tumbler, I told him it was his baby now, ick. Please tell me this is a good thing... I had a bunch of stuff to throw in there today (coir pots, peat pots) after all that planting opened it up and gag, maggots. I managed to flip it once but that is it, I was afraid of them. Do I just leave it alone? Sorry if you are all laughing at me, first time composter here...

the heat generated should kill them off...however they do a good job of breaking the fish down...that's their job.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/8/2012, 10:06 pm

Good to know, I just don't like them. He opened it up the other day and I was downwind of it and it smelled terrible, so I catiously approached it today (he wasn't home) I slowly turned the lid, opened it, peeked inside, saw maggots Evil or Very Mad , gagged a little pale , but it didn't smell at all so that's a good sign. I was also impressed by how it's breaking down, it was half full and is now down to a quarter full. I need more browns and have slim pickens, is hair green or brown, lol, I have a lot of hairdresser friends.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 6/9/2012, 12:29 am

I make sure every banana peel and, now, cantalope rine goes in the compost. Banana peels are very high in potassium, but cantalope rines are very high in phosphorus and potassium. And that helps the brocolli make nice big heads. Woo-hoo!
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  westie 6/9/2012, 2:13 am

Feathers were mentioned and they are about off the chart with nitrogen compared to many greens. I used to drive around town picking up bags of leaves that were mower chopped now they bring them to me and I return their bags in exchange. Those leaves go thru the shredder a time or two and are like oatmeal flakes or even almost dust. I have four topped garbage cans to store them in and after reduced that much they are actually pretty heavy even though it’s just leaves. That gives plenty of brown and mulches in between seasons besides a lot more that went directly into the compost mix. The most prized contribution I make to the compost bins (4 of them) is my bed pan, the urine is an awfully good activator.
westie
westie

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/9/2012, 5:06 am

cheyannarach wrote: I need more browns and have slim pickens, is hair green or brown, lol, I have a lot of hairdresser friends.

The thing to watch with hair from beauty shops is the chemicals - lots of chemically processed hair on those floors! I only use the trimmings from Hubby and myself so I know there are no unwanted chemicals, dyes, bleaches, etc...

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/9/2012, 10:25 am

Yeah, I had thought about that, lol!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Laydera 6/9/2012, 10:48 am

If you use flea an tick items on your pets please dont put the hair from them in your compost. It is toxic, thats why the directions have you apply them where the animal cant get to it along the backbone.
Laydera
Laydera

Back to top Go down

Post  J_in_HamiltonON 6/9/2012, 10:50 am

cheyannarach wrote:Hubby cleaned fish and put the scraps in the tumbler, I told him it was his baby now, ick. Please tell me this is a good thing... ...

I don't use a tumbler and my impression is that they don't heat up as well as a "static" pile might. I've composted fish and mussels without too much problem. I added maybe 10 pounds of whole fish to the center of a hot pile (130F) two weeks ago. Yes, there was some smell if you were close to the pile not me , and yes there were some maggots hiding (not too many). Next time i will add less at one time. All that is left after two weeks is some bones and skin, no smell and no maggots. The bones and skin will be gone before too long as well. Fish and shellfish are the only "meats" I will put into a composter happy smile . Problem with the mussels is now I have compost full of shells idk .
I use a fish based fertilizer as needed (drammatic k) so I could only assume that the whole fish into the pile is an excellent nutrient source. veggie fun .
J_in_HamiltonON
J_in_HamiltonON

Male Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? Empty Compost, first batch, is ready

Post  nanny 6/9/2012, 12:08 pm

I never thought I would be excited to report that the first compost is ready to use. I had dreaded this process but was tired of always going to the store to purchase. So I tried trash can composting. Worked great for me and I'm ready to put down another batch.
nanny

Female Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of? Empty Armor

Post  CharlesB 6/9/2012, 12:59 pm

Pretty much everything plants (and some animals) use as armor and protection:

Banana peels, peanut shells, potato skins, egg shells, melon/squash rinds, corn husks, etc.

Those items are loaded with treasure :-), criminal to throw them away.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next