Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Toplef10Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 I22gcj10Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Toplef10Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 I22gcj10Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone have asparagus yet?

+19
mollyhespra
brainchasm
gategitter
Rick Seeger
FamilyGardening
Thomas
R&R 1011
Idgiethreadgoode
Goosegirl
kauairosina
GWN
ETNRedClay
CapeCoddess
sanderson
yolos
bnoles
donnainzone5
jmsieglaff
llama momma
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone have asparagus yet?

Post  llama momma 4/13/2014, 5:45 pm

I started this thread about a week ago and was getting ready to accept losing all my asparagus to the brutal cold and windy winter.  Today I found dozens of purple passion and jersey giants, a bunch like these were already as thick as my thumb.  Pardon all the llama beans I was hoping it might help keep the bed warm this winter... honestly I just don't know and hoped it wouldn't hurt!! 
Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Sam_2212
Hard to photograph in the sunlight so (oops) the jersey giant is in the upper left hand corner of the photo below--
Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Sam_2213
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Empty inspiring!

Post  kauairosina 4/13/2014, 5:56 pm

love seeing those little guses raise their heads.  Is that gravel? rocks?
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/13/2014, 5:58 pm

kauairosina wrote:love seeing those little guses raise their heads.  Is that gravel? rocks?

That is aged llama manure.  Looks like beans! We call them llama beans.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/13/2014, 7:23 pm

oh nice, LM!  cheers Are these three year old asparagus? Can you pick all of them this year?

Did you ever have any critters  digging them up before you  finished building your bed? Mine were dug up this morning.
 Sad  I re planted them but its like starting all over again...
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/13/2014, 9:39 pm

llama momma wrote:
kauairosina wrote:love seeing those little guses raise their heads.  Is that gravel? rocks?

That is aged llama manure.  Looks like beans! We call them llama beans.
Ive been calling it llama gold! 

Im actually going to start asparagus from seed.  My kids got into the packet awhile ago so I had the seeds in a bowl until I plant them.  Well, low and behold in my cell packs I see to little seedlings like nothing Ive seen before.  I looked at them closer and thought those look like tiny little asparagus'!  Figured out they are after googling.  Cool
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/13/2014, 9:56 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:oh nice, LM!  cheers Are these three year old asparagus? Can you pick all of them this year?

Did you ever have any critters  digging them up before you  finished building your bed? Mine were dug up this morning.
 Sad  I re planted them but its like starting all over again...

CC
These were one year old crowns last year when they were planted.  I can pick a few this year.  I was reading a university paper that said if you pick too much too soon, it can cause a decline in harvest for the entire life of the crown.  Don't want to make that mistake so I'll be careful and patient.

Your crowns got dug up That would wreck my day. Rude critter.  I was able to get DH to build the bed and we filled it before the crowns arrived.  After planting I have to use critter cages on everything to keep out the barn cats and other visitors.

Hi R and R-- best wishes on those asparagus seedlings!  I hope it works out great for you  Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 3170584802

Last edited by llama momma on 4/13/2014, 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to answer R and R)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/14/2014, 12:30 pm

My first asparagus spear this spring appears to be dying from the frost.  However, there are several more lurking just beneath the surface of the MM.  I think I'll just cover the bed at night for a while!  

Looks like most of those will be of eating size.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Empty llama mamma

Post  kauairosina 4/14/2014, 4:25 pm

Do you pronounce the name with an L or a Y, as in Spanish?  I loved your llama beans.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/14/2014, 5:18 pm

I pronounce it with an "L" though I am aware of the "Y" pronunciation too, which I think sounds even cuter, and  Yyama momma is funny too.  Btw I loved your state when I honeymooned there 33 years ago.  I'm not fond of hot weather at all, but I would make an exception if I could live in Maui or Kauai. Truly a piece of heaven on earth.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Empty that's the truth

Post  kauairosina 4/14/2014, 5:58 pm

The truth is Kauai is not all that hot.  Before we moved here I thought it would be like Fiji, hot and humid, but it is really mostly just delightful.  Today and for the last few days more wind than I would like so I'm not transplanting until it dies down.

I'm not advocating moving to Kauai or Maui unless you have tons of money.  Unfortunately that is who is moving in now, raising prices and not contributing to our self sustainability.  Remember - if the boat don't come we are S^^t out of luck, the main reason that we are working toward doing as much as we can for ourselves.  We are learning to eat breadfruit, sweet potatoes, taro (kalo) and other Hawaiian type plants.  They may not be as tasty as Costco but if the boat don't come.....

I am exceedingly fortunate to have moved here 25 years ago with friends, kind of like a commune, but not really.  We do own land together and take advantage of our group buying  and thus can afford to live here.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas 4/14/2014, 6:34 pm

I noticed this morning that a few asparagus spears are sticking up. I planted the crowns last spring and I "think" they are now in their third year ie that they were supposed to be two year old crowns. It has been a very hard winter. I am also looking for shallots, garlic, and rhubarb to pop up. No rhubarb yet, but some garlic and shallots. I am most distressed about the rhubarb. Ms. Kingsolver talks about it being a harbinger of spriing. So far, no such harbinger.
Thomas
Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/15/2014, 6:06 pm

It was in the 70's so the asparagus popped up.  Today there was snow on the ground till 2 pm and and high of 36 degrees I think.  Tonight expected to be mid 20's.  Cover and let young tender spears probably die?  Or cut and enjoy?  I called the farm in Michigan where I purchased these 1 yr old crowns last year and they said to cut the 4 to 7 inch spears and enjoy eating them. Some were a full 3/4 inch diameter and one was 7 inches tall, yup, took the ruler outside with me. Anyway they're in the fridge standing in some water and I can't wait for DH to come home so we can try 'purple passion' together with supper this evening.  Sitting next to it is my last fresh German Red garlic from July, shocked it has no sign of rot, still, I better eat it fast. Still have frozen garlic butter I use for grill cheese sandwiches and also put in my homemade spaghetti sauce.
 Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Sam_2216
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Empty gorgeous guses

Post  kauairosina 4/15/2014, 6:44 pm

llama mama.  We've just planted ours and put in the drip irrigation.  Wish us luck that they thrive here in Hawaii in spite of the misgivings of the sender.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/15/2014, 9:05 pm

kauairosina,
Best wishes for a lovely harvest.  Something you mentioned earlier, Taro, I remember tasting it, kind of different but I recall it was full of vitamin C and prevented scurvy to early sailors I think?  Anyway you are very fortunate to live there, I sure didn't want to leave. We always talk about making one more trip. Ah, I can dream..  

Thomas,  keeping my fingers crossed for your asparagus and rhubarb. I hope our snow today in Ohio is the last of it.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Empty yes taro (kalo) is extremely nutritious

Post  kauairosina 4/15/2014, 9:22 pm

and poi even more so.  I have not really gotten into poi but if worse comes to worse we sure will do it.  At this time we experiment with breadfruit, kalo and sweet potatoes interchangeably to create stuff like topping for Shepard's pie instead of potatoes, potato salad, hash browns.  We are just beginning. More to come.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/16/2014, 5:14 pm

llama momma wrote:
 Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Sam_2216
Yummo!  Do they cook up green?  Let us know how they taste.  And look at you with garlic from last year left.  Not me... Sad

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/16/2014, 5:42 pm

I steamed them up lightly so they turned a lighter shade of purple with a hint of green.  Sweet, soft, and tender. Melted in my mouth.  The canned stuff my Mother served I would chew and dispose the tough strings. Not any more!!  Yes, the very last garlic bulb has been standing there waiting for duty all these months. I've used the fresh stuff sparingly and put the rest in a frozen garlic butter log. Still using that too.   I should have roasted the bulb and the asparagus together doh!  Rick tried the asparagus expecting to spit it out, but he really liked it.  darn, now I have to share
  Razz  silly me  Laughing
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/16/2014, 11:51 pm

LM, Off topic, but I have two small garlic from last July and they are in perfect condition. It must be because they are carefully lifted and dried. No mass production banging around.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/17/2014, 4:40 pm

I must be about the very last one... AM I THE LAST ONE????
Just noticed one tiny nib of an asparagus, I was beginning to think that they had all died...

Hope there is going to be more soon..... AM I the last one   Crybaby
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/17/2014, 6:06 pm

sanderson wrote:LM,  Off topic, but I have two small garlic from last July and they are in perfect condition.  It must be because they are carefully lifted and dried.  No mass production banging around.

I'm not surprised from your gentle handling of it.  Also, in the book Growing Great Garlic, it  mentions how a bulb pulled a little early would last longer too.  It goes by the same principle of an apple lasting longer if pulled a little early.  Cause a really sweet apple is in the earliest stages of decay, according to the author Ron Engeland.. I was quite surprised and thought it was interesting.

GWN, I bet you are not the last one to fine asparagus! There's got to be others that haven't gotten on the forum to talk about it.  Your micro climate may affect it too, who knows??  Last year I thought I was the about the last one to see the new crowns shoot some spears.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 Empty sure wish we could grow garlic

Post  kauairosina 4/17/2014, 7:08 pm

even those purportedly to be ok with our climate don't happen.  One of the downsides of living in Paradise. Sad
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/18/2014, 2:27 am

GWN wrote:I must be about the very last one... AM I THE LAST ONE????
Just noticed one tiny nib of an asparagus, I was beginning to think that they had all died...

Hope there is going to be more soon..... AM I the last one   Crybaby

still no signs here  Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 1280598131 ....waaaaaa

we planted 2 year old crowns 2 years ago

last year we only got a few and they were very thin....made pretty ferns though

hoping to have some this year.....we also sowed some seeds a couple of weeks ago just for kicks.....LOL....

we are trying to decide what to plant in this area this year to be a companion and at least fill the 2x6 area....with something to harvest.....this box sits behind one of our corn beds, so it will get some shade in the summer.....any ideas?....year before we plant cucumbers in this bed and they did ok.....not the best...but they were transplants and we have had problems with cucumbers in other areas as well....

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/18/2014, 10:02 am

Not sure what goes next to asparagus, but 3 years ago I planted my asparagus from seed.
It was kind of cool because I was looking for something that had to be planted in January.
It takes (as I recall) a very very long time to sprout. So be patient.  Of course it was indoors, but for you, and NOW... you will likely get something this summer.  MUCH cheaper way to go it you do not mind waiting.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/18/2014, 10:30 am

[quote"GWN"]I must be about the very last one... AM I THE LAST ONE????

Hope othere is going to be more soon..... AM I the last one   Crybaby[/quote]
I think I'll be the last one with asparagus sprouts seeing as I just planted mine this year...twice. I'll just keep waiting waiting waiting for something to show up so I can add 2 inches more soil. Then wait some more and add some more, then wait some more...
 Rolling Eyes 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/18/2014, 10:36 am

LOL CC

wait some more and add some more

Anyone have asparagus yet? - Page 2 950477    Isn't that gardening..... hurry up and wait
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next