Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Asparagus Toplef10Asparagus 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Asparagus I22gcj10Asparagus 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Asparagus Toplef10Asparagus 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Asparagus I22gcj10Asparagus 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Asparagus

+21
Windsor.Parker
kat51415
jmsieglaff
Windmere
Thomas
NightMist
syrah2422
plantoid
walshevak
NHGardener
littlejo
quiltbea
donnainzone5
FamilyGardening
Turan
bnoles
GWN
Goosegirl
llama momma
camprn
Weedless_
25 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Asparagus Empty Asparagus

Post  Weedless_ 1/22/2013, 4:36 pm

Anyone has good experience with planting 2-year old crowns?
I am very tempted to order some heirloom varieties, but not sure if worth the money.
Also, since it's pretty hot here in summer, I was thinking of putting it in the semi-shaded area. Yes/No?
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Asparagus Empty Re: Asparagus

Post  camprn 1/22/2013, 4:39 pm

Worth the money, you will have asparagus next year. Buy a variety that grows well in your area.
Nice to see you again Weedless!

http://www.walterreeves.com/food-gardening/asparagus/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Asparagus WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/22/2013, 5:03 pm

Weedless,
Earlier this week I placed an order for twenty-five 1 year old crowns, determined to have plenty for year round use knowing they will also multiply. If you take the plunge we could compare notes along the way.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Weedless_ 1/22/2013, 6:56 pm

Llama, I am game! Ordered two heirlooms and one staple variety today, total of 26. Figured, I'd vary them a little, not to put all eggs in one basket. Gonna plant as soon as they arrive, which should be mid march.

I love asparagus to pieces, and it will be very sad if it doesn't work. Asparagus is also one of the very few vegetables that I can eat a lot of, while on low-carb diet.
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/22/2013, 7:07 pm

Hey Weedless, that's Terrific!
I went with 25 crowns of Purple Passion set for delivery mid April. Supposedly never stringy and very sweet. I'm glad my husband thinks he hates asparagus, more for me. After it's established this means asparagus heaven either fresh or blanched/frozen ALL YEAR ROUND. Sounds like we both adore the stuff to no end. Asparagus 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/22/2013, 8:42 pm

llama momma wrote:... I'm glad my husband thinks he hates asparagus, more for me...

Asparagus 3170584802 Hubby here hates the stuff as well. MORE FOR MEEEEEE!!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/22/2013, 8:50 pm

Oooh you already have some, jealous here, Wink soo what kind and how much do you have?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/22/2013, 10:00 pm

In 2011, I planted some asparagus from seed and also planted some 2 year roots, last year I planted more, and this year I am hoping for the pay off.
After mine reached the green frond stage and then the yellow stage I started to look around and realize how much wild asparagus I have around me. The only way to find it is to know how to recognize it in the fall, and go back in the spring to look for the small shoots.
It grows along the sides of roads in many areas, I first read about it in Barbara Kingsolvers book "animal vegetable miracle"
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/22/2013, 10:03 pm

I picked up 12 1 gallon pots of the Washington variety this past weekend and hope to have them planted by the end of this week in a new raised bed I am working on. From everything I have read and been told, I should be able to harvest these in 2014.

I am really looking forward to growing my own as they say it is so much better than store bought. Perhaps we need to start an asparagus club Cool Cool
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/23/2013, 12:08 am

I have set aside a re-purposed bed for asparagus this spring. I am ordering Jersey Knight, it is supposedly one of the best at over wintering with hard freezes. I have an old patch (I have forgotten what I planted there) that sort of wanders in the roses and peonies near the porch. The tall fronds make a lovely back ground I think. The new bed I hope to plant sweet peas in also, I think they would look nice blooming through the fronds come summer. I have tried twice before to establish a new patch and each time they froze out in the winter.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/23/2013, 1:23 am

we planted our first crowns last year 2012....6 two year old crowns....it took forever for them to come up.....we ended up growing cucumbers in the same area because we thought our crowns died....well...they shot up in AUG Shocked with their ferns Very Happy in the middle of summer Shocked .....we are excited to see how they do this year..

I know we planted
2-washington
2-Jersey Knight
2-purple somthing??

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/23/2013, 2:24 am

Probably Purple Passion, Rose.
Turan, I am very curious as to what varieties were killed off during your winter? I just bought a bunch of purple passion. I suppose my Ohio winters are pretty different from yours.
bnoles, I like the idea of an asparagus club, I love this this forum because it is so neat to compare notes with each other.
GWN- I've got to get hold of that book!
Well everybody the title of this thread is super easy to remember so we can share our ups and downs asparagus experiences. I am very happy to compare notes with everyone!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/23/2013, 8:48 am

I put in 12 2-yr crowns 2 years ago, last year got my first gleanings. This spring I should get my first really good crop, can't wait! It grows wild in ditches around here as well. Found a really great spot last summer and picked probably 7-8 lbs of the stuff! I may dedicate another bed for 'spoogagus' (gotta love the vocab of a 3 yr old!).

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Asparagus Empty Asparagus

Post  donnainzone5 1/23/2013, 11:46 am

+1 to the idea of an asparagus club!

I'm trying to figure out when I should order my crowns, since planting time here is March or so. I'm afraid that if I wait too long, there won't be much of a selection left!

Also, how many should I grow to feed myself, and perhaps freeze some? Should I plant 6" or 12" deep? I did 6" in Southern California, and they seemed to do okay.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/23/2013, 11:51 am

Donna, if you order them, the supplier will usually ship them when it is planting time in your area. Follow the planting instructions that come with your shipment.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Asparagus WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/23/2013, 1:22 pm

llama momma wrote:
Turan, I am very curious as to what varieties were killed off during your winter? I just bought a bunch of purple passion. I suppose my Ohio winters are pretty different from yours.

I wish I remembered Embarassed
I know I was enchanted by the idea of all male plants at least once. So surely that was a Jersey. What is growing right now seems to be all male, but is right next to the porch in a protected area with excellent drainage.

Look at this article on hardiness of varieties. I think i just changed my mind on getting any Jersey. http://www.ehow.com/facts_7192714_type-asparagus-can-plant-minnesota_.html

I am searching for Viking KB3, it is an improved variety of Mary Washington, is OP, and seems very hardy.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/26/2013, 4:54 pm

Between bad weather and the flu bug, I was delayed a little in getting out to finish my asparagus project. Today was about 55* here in Atlanta with just a hint of breeze and I was feeling much improved from the antibiotics, so it was perfect for this kind of work (at least for me).

The raised bed is 8' X 3' X 10". I filled it with a combination of top soil, cow manure compost, mushroom compost, coarse vermiculite, sphagnum peat, a premium potting mix, some home made compost and some dolomite lime to sweeten the PH. I worked a good bit of the afternoon getting this bed finished and hopefully I will plant the asparagus either tomorrow afternoon or Monday as the weather picture still looks promising. The asparagus I ended up with is the Washington variety and the only kind my garden shop carries as it is supposed to be best for my area. I got 12 1 gallon pots and should be able to have asparagus ready for the table in 2014.

Next on my list is to finish moving the soil to the new location for the strawberry bed you see right behind the asparagus bed with the PVC frame over it. Got the box moved to this part of the yard a couple of week ago, but still need to wheelbarrow the MM down and fill it up.

Here are a few pictures to enjoy of my adventures so far.

Filled Bed

Ready to plant

Another view

Sorry for having to use links, but photo bucket is not cooperating with our site. Looks like I will have to go thru the new learning curve Evil or Very Mad
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/26/2013, 5:43 pm

Only the 'ready to plant' photo was viewable. The other two said they were removed. Maybe you have them on private or something.
Anyway, the one I saw looks really good. I envy you starting your garden soon while I'm still under snow here in Maine.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/26/2013, 5:50 pm

Bob, I tried to follow the links, and photobucket wouldn't show me the pics, without me signing up. Are your photos on your computer?

Turan, You might try planting a little deeper, your hard freeze line may be pretty deep where you are. Also, don't expect asparagus to compete with other root crops, (roses and peones, carrots, beets,) Asparagus doesn't handle fighting for nutrients. An annual or plant that doesn't have deep roots should be ok. I don't know about the sweet peas?

By the way, my asparagus is coming up! I think I have Mary Washington, which put on some seeds last yr. This is a pic of the little seedlings. Jo
Asparagus Pic_0410
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/26/2013, 6:12 pm

Okay... I took a crash course in hosting pictures from my computer and it appears to work. Sorry for the mess on Photo Bucket.... please disregard my previous links.

Here are the pictures!

Asparagus P1010017

Asparagus P1010018

Asparagus P1010019
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 1/26/2013, 6:58 pm

bnoles, why is your asparagus in pots? Or are you going to transplant it?

edit: Oh, and I have that same garden bench! My husband got it for me for Christmas last year, but so far, it's made a better coffee cup stand in the living room, believe it or not. I shouldn't admit what a great decorator I am, in public. Laughing
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/26/2013, 7:25 pm

Pictures look really nice Bob! Hope you feel better too.
Can't help but notice your lovely leaf corral. Wish I was planting asparagus but my order is due April 15.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/26/2013, 7:28 pm

lol.... I hope to transplant the asparagus from the pots into the ground tomorrow if all goes well.

I got my bench/kneel-er for Christmas also and love it. I would not be able to get back up from my knees in the garden without it and it is great for a break between chores too.
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/26/2013, 7:35 pm

Thanks LLM! That leaf coral is my pride and joy and hope for lots of compost this season. Not near the work you have put into yours, but I have a much smaller scale garden than you Very Happy

I could not wait on mail order until April 15 as it is recommended we have ours in the ground between Jan 15 and March 15 for my zone in GA. Besides, these nice days are calling me out from the house and I just have this desire to play in the dirt.
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/26/2013, 10:44 pm

sorry if this is a dumb question, but from what I see, leaf coral is an actual coral, and I do not see any in any of the pictures, am I missing something does leaf coral mean something else as well
thanks
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next