Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 12:08 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Sun May 05, 2024 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+29
jan76
GWN
Gardening Barbie
Turan
Judy McConnell
Kelejan
rillgardens
68carguy
FamilyGardening
yolos
walshevak
mazzy
CapeCoddess
Rosbelle
AtlantaMarie
llama momma
PNG_Grandma
paul_vanderwerf
ehaffner1
boffer
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
Mary429
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
keepercjr
sanderson
33 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Turan,  You will be in the heart of mini farms and vineyards!  Close to Growing Your Greens. And only 30 minutes north of Baker Creek Seed Bank.  I think it is worth the side trip just to see that many racks of seeds. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Heirlo10
This is just part of the racks.  There is also an interesting basement. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Heirlo11
I little drive east then south on highway 12 is neat, garden-wise, with a touch of Hippyville.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21555

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:58 pm

I went with DH to ride in his Razor dune buggy.  It was great to get out of the red hazard air pollution.  I posted a photo of looking down at the Valley under Local Woods.  Me bundled up, especially the front of my neck and chin.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Razor_13
DH and his baby:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Razor_14
There were signs of the drought along the drive. Dead oaks and pines, brown grass. Sniff
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:42 pm

How fun!  We are a 4 wheeling family.  Our kids have Toyota Land Cruisers set up for off road.  We go up above Shaver and camp with a group each summer.  Fun times  Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:56 am

Just above Shaver on 168 is a staging area.  Tamarack?  Is that where you go?

My cousin in Westminster reported that they had rain yesterday and last night.  Sad I had to water the greens and cabbage.  I finally got the oranges peeled and sliced and they are in the dehydrator now.  We are fighting ants so I set up a a 4-legged stand of kiddie glasses and an old baking pan with DE and cinnamon sprinkled around the glasses. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Dehydr10
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:25 am

Yes, at that staging area, a road heads back into the hills.  About a 15-20 minute ride in, is a wilderness campground we use that can hold about 100 people.  We do off road runs up Bald, and to some of the little lakes up there.  It's great, dusty, crazy fun.  Hubby and I weren't able to do it last year as our trailer door was broken.  

The lengths we go to try to outsmart the common ant!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Gardening Barbie Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Hello! I'm new to the forum so I read the least couple of months. Now I'm ready for spring and getting a better schedule based on the knowledge here. Sanderson...any update on when the online class might get started again?
Gardening Barbie
Gardening Barbie

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Welcome, Barbara!  I was just in Fresno today and saw irises blooming at a shopping center.  I couldn't believe it since it's so early.  These are the winters that tease you into starting early and then you end up with a late, hard freeze!  

I know I need to start thinking about what I'm going to start and when, but it still doesn't feel like we've had winter to even be thinking about it yet!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi, Barbara, Welcome to the Forum!  glad you\'re here Please go to the Home Page to "Introduce Yourself."  What are your hopes, dreams and experiences with SFG?

PS:  I will let Belinda know you want to take the course.

Just received an email from Belinda.
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/teach/
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:52 am

Hi Barbara!  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:18 am

I haven't been able to do anything outdoors.  First 7 days of red hazard pollution.  Then Tuesday, I had the annual torture x-ray so I thought I would make a visit to Kristina's, Fresno's oldest health food store, to buy raw milk for the lawns, and a trip to a 99 Cent store to see what gardening supplies may be on sale.  I wore my face mask to the first 2 places but not in the busy 99 Cent store.  Probably where I picked up the cold.  I found the perfect little garden fences to use around the Dragon Tongue beans, 99 cents for each 4' length. url=https://servimg.com/view/18260475/860]California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Fencin10[/url]
Also found talc-based baby powder for ants. The baby powder DH just bought was corn starch based. Times change. Bottles of spices for 99 cents. Purple garden kneeling pads.

I picked the snow peas on Tuesday (I was really friskie that day), blanched for 2 minutes, chilled and froze. They were really sweet - must be the cold, cool weather. The garlic I planted New Years is sprouting! It's a second generation from grocery garlic I bought last year. I also ate a teeny piece of raw garlic and discovered that it is hot! Had no idea because I've only eaten cooked garlic. Still need to go through my seeds, order what I want or need, and update my Excel list. And, the most critical, fill out the plot plan for what I want to plant and where.

And get over this stupid cold with all the sneezing, runny eyes and runny, sore nose.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:42 pm

So sorry to hear you're miserable :-(  With the terrible air quality, I had what I thought might be an eye infection but turned out to be really bad allergy reaction.  

It just dawned on me 6 weeks from now is possible last frost (full last frost is March 15th) so I better get cracking on starts.  Perhaps over the weekend or next week.

I've been spreading my new compost a little each day on the landscaping.  Generally two wheelbarrow loads is a day's work.  

Fun stuff at the dollar store.  I wonder if the border would be enough to keep the cats out of the new bed which is already about 16" off the deck?  What do you think?
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:52 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Fun stuff at the dollar store.  I wonder if the border would be enough to keep the cats out of the new bed which is already about 16" off the deck?  What do you think?
If a width of plastic was clipped to the frames all around the bed, like boffer does to keep his kitties out.

Thanks for the co-misery. Made that word up. It's hard to think with a runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:36 pm

sanderson wrote:
audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Fun stuff at the dollar store.  I wonder if the border would be enough to keep the cats out of the new bed which is already about 16" off the deck?  What do you think?
 If a width of plastic was clipped to the frames all around the bed, like boffer does to keep his kitties out.

Thanks for the co-misery.  Made that word up.  It's hard to think with a runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes.

I'm not sure I understand "a width of plastic" do you have a link?
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:37 pm

I looked at pests, pets, critters and cats and could not find the photo that BOFFER posted.  Maybe BOFFER will see this and post the photo here!! If you have a 4 x 8' bed, it will take a long strip of a total of 64' length X 1' wide. Clothes pins, etc. to clip it to this type of fencing. Or, a little longer strip to binder clip it to vertical EMC or PVC supports. I think Boffer's may be a little over 1' in width and it's doubled if I remember the photo good enough.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:54 pm

sanderson wrote:I looked at pests, pets, critters and cats and could not find the photo that BOFFER posted.  Maybe BOFFER will see this and post the photo here!!  If you have a 4 x 8' bed, it will take a long strip of a total of 64' length X 1' wide.  Clothes pins, etc. to clip it to this type of fencing.  Or, a little longer strip to binder clip it to vertical EMC or PVC supports.  I think Boffer's may be a little over 1' in width and it's doubled if I remember the photo good enough.

Here is the thread, about 2/3 the way down from the top of page two.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18518p16-pnw-september-2014
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 26 Dscn4916

Wow, you can copy a picture from one thread into another.  So this is the close up of Boffer's table top showing his set up for keeping his cats out of the bed.
Boffer wrote, "Yes, strips of plastic cut from scraps.  Ugly, but they keep my cat out of my TTs."
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:42 pm

Curse this cold, it should have been 24+', not 64+'.  Thanks, Boffer.  It also looks like the plastic is only a few inches up the vertical supports; the rest is down over the wood sides so the cat can't jump to the edge and then over!

Boffer,  Can you post your photo and explain under this thread?  Thank you so much
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6000p128-cats-in-your-garden?highlight=cats
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Sweet, CHEAP and simple, thanks for posting it.  I'm planning to put hoops on my new beds anyway.  I may decide to put shade cloth on them during the summer since we have such ridiculous heat and intense sun.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:12 pm

Here we are in our "winter."  50*F, cloudy, overcast, misty.  At least the Air Quality Index is down from 150+ to 55.  Much, much better.

I fed the worms this evening, watered the beds and hybrid compost pile.  Too cold to do anything else, like clean up. Smile However, it is a perfect time to go through the seeds, toss older ones, buy new ones.  (OSH has 2015 Renee's Garden seeds in so I am guessing HD, Lowes, and nurseries have their 2015 stock.)  Go though the catalogs and order seeds for those special varieties I just have to try this year.  Get serious with the plot plan.  Also, a perfect time to hit the Dollar and 99 Cent stores for gizmos and gadgets.

Got the dehydrator all cleaned up.  Need to check the canner/pressure cooker.  Maybe upgrade the wood-framed shelves for the summer outdoor dehydrator boxes.  I'm thinking of custom ordering small metal-framed window screens so I can immerse them for cleaning after use.  In 2 weeks, I will get the T8 lights out and see if they work.  Assemble the PVC frame from which the lights hang.  Since I moved the 2 newest table tops, I need to get the drip systems hooked back up.

February will be here before we know it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Just arrived home to 75 Deg. weather (from Elk Grove, Ca.-50 deg.) NOT GOOD!!! if this heat wave keeps up, my 17 fruit trees will start budding too early. Two years ago that happened and all the fruit set too soon, and were hammered by a late frost- lost 70% of the fruit Mad I wound up with a lot of empty canning jars that season.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:19 pm

YS,  I'm so sorry.  I hope it cools off for you.  It sounds like you are a serious canner.  How many do you put up in a good year?

Audrey,  I'm impressed you got your pile turned in this cold.  The pile temps sound encouraging.

Someone asked if California was still in a drought mode.  I'm sorry I forgot who.  I can only speak for the central valley part.  So. Cal and far northern Cal have received rain while Central Cal hasn't.  So far, we have received 2-3."   A recent forecast was 20% chance of 2 days of rain in February.   rofl  Not very encouraging.

Right now it's foggy, damp or misting, no sun.  The solar panel meter is rolling the wrong way!  I keep looking at the neighbors' trees that are boxing me in.  I sure hope the one to the West really goes through with having it removed.  I've got exciting ideas for that side of the yard if she does.

I started going through my seeds this morning and it's amazing how many packets I'm tossing.  Some I'll never grow again (beets), some I don't have room for (Lima, peas, and black-eye peas).  Lettuces from 2013 season.

I may not be buying anything from the catalogs this year.  I wanted to try banana peppers this year but got the free seeds from Praxxus. Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:39 pm

My wife does the canning, and calls it quits after 24 quart jars of apple butter,as well as plum, aprium, and apricot jams. What fruit we don't use, we hand out to the neighbors; the apples we hold in refrigeration or freeze for pies. I grow way more than we can consume, but sharing is good.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:29 pm

Tuesday's gentle rain = 0.21" for a season total of 3.4". Normal for a full season is 11.5". Beautiful sunny day, so I guess I have no excuse to stay inside. Smile
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 pm

I have had birds digging up my beds this winter - I haven't had that before.  Before I can plant, I'm going to need to make low tunnel covers for my new raised beds then I intend to direct sow in them.  That will keep my all-to-curious cats out of the beds as well.

I'm going to have to send hubby to the hardware store and get it done in the next week or so.  Geesh, I feel like I'm running out of time already and it hasn't even really been a winter yet.  

I'll cover my tunnels with 6 mil for starting and finishing the year and may cover with shade cloth during the worst of the summer. It's interesting to see how much larger my lettuce is inside of my greenhouse compared to outside. They really do like the warmer day and night time temps in there. I can make a pair of mini greenhouses out of the 4x8's for the not so delicate things and keep the most sensitive in my double greenhouse set up in the main one. I've only had to double cover for less than a week this entire winter. I do that when it drops below 37 or so at night.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:19 pm

Okay, I got 8, 2' x 8" window box planters started with several squash varieties, several cucumber varieties, lettuce, radishes, tomatoes (already growing), basil, lemon grass, fennel, and I can't remember what else planted. They are in my greenhouse. I was TERRIBLE at putting my seedlings out during the day and remembering to bring them in at night and I don't have room to start them under grow lights so this is just plain easy. Today is 6 weeks prior to our last frost date, though we might have already had our last frost as warm as this winter has been.

How about anyone else? What are you up to?!!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:14 am

Well, I'm in Sac this weekend.  I haven't started any seeds knowing I had this trip.  Maybe next week.  DH made a Gwennifer rolling TT for oldest son.  He bought tiny trowels for his 2 little sons!  So cute.  I'll take photos when we get it filled tomorrow.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next