Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+29
jan76
GWN
Gardening Barbie
Turan
Judy McConnell
Kelejan
rillgardens
68carguy
FamilyGardening
yolos
walshevak
mazzy
CapeCoddess
Rosbelle
AtlantaMarie
llama momma
PNG_Grandma
paul_vanderwerf
ehaffner1
boffer
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
Mary429
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
keepercjr
sanderson
33 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/15/2014, 10:18 pm

That is a BRILLIANT idea.  I'm not sure how many there are but that would solve making them deeper.  2x 6 wouldn't be deep enough for the soil and the thick mulch we need.  

Clever clever girl  Wink
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 7/18/2014, 1:42 am

I'm off to Sacramento for 2 grandkids' BD parties, 16 and 3. Universal green for the teenager and tot scooter for the 3 year old. I hate to leave my garden and TTs without mulch or drips installed in some areas. DH will cat and garden sit, but you know, not the same.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21555

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/18/2014, 6:17 pm

Have a great time!  We're headed for a day trip to Bakersfield to visit our middle daughter.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/18/2014, 8:08 pm

Enjoy, and drive carefully.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/22/2014, 8:34 pm

Back home after 3 days with kids, kiddies, grand kiddie and pets.  The great thing is that they now all live within one large visiting zone.

When I got home, I found the first ripe cantaloupe on the ground.  I've already posted that photo.  But I also found this:  ??  I don't have any seeds that are suppose to look like this.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Squash10
I also found this volunteer:  Considering I lost 21 tomato plants to disease, I will welcome any variety.  It's growing in a pot to which I added homemade compost at the end of 2013 growing season:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Tomato10
I took this photo because there are 5 cantaloupe and 10 squash in this small area.  For anyone with limited square footage, they should consider vertically training anything that can be trained:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 West_s12
Lemon squash is easy to grow vertically.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Squash11
Also, found the first 6 Purple Podded beans at the top of an 8' trellis.  These plants were terribly devastated by spider mites and then cabbage worms but have really bounced back with treatment to the point they are producing:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bean_p11
I've written before that I should go away more often!   Very Happy

Audrey, How was your trip to Bakersfield?  How is everyone's garden doing in this varied California Region?  Any photos?  Yardslave, I told my kids that garlic is no longer being grown in Gilroy and you would have thought the world ended.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/25/2014, 4:02 am

We just had a nice break (90 & 99*F) from the heat.  Now we are back in the triple digits of around 103*F.  Sunday night in Sacramento it actually rained!  Dang.  Wish some would hit the valley.

Only in California:  $500 fine to go into affect for wasting water.   thinking  Bet it doesn't apply to properties owned/operated by the State, Counties or Cities.  Oh, the City is cutting residential watering days from 3x week down to 2x week.  I just ordered 200' of 6" drip line from Drip Works for the non-veggie flower beds/shrubs/ patio trees.  Just in case I need to sneak in some extra watering.  hiddenID

I hope to get some corn, dragon tongues, soy beans and okra direct seeded in the new table tops.  I've been tweaking the drip irrigation before putting anything in them.  Also, bought a bolt of 72" tulle from Joann's with a 40% off coupon.

I found some raw cow's milk at Kristina's for the garden. I'm starting "The Great Experiment" with the front lawn and the fungus. Can't hurt. Half sprayed with raw milk, maybe molasses one or 2 times, the other half without either. DH has tried everything on the dead areas of Fescue.

What are the rest of you up to?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/25/2014, 4:13 am

PS: Someone posted that they got 1" of rain, and my husband said, "That's 50% of last year's annual rain."
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 7/25/2014, 12:43 pm

My veggies are on life support...water rates here are 3X the average for ANY water municipality in the state. ( We are not on a municipal, but a private water company that is posting a 30% return to investors- they're selling less water for more $$ !!) I currently have my beds in mini-1/4" soaker tubing that's been on for about 3+ years and it's having flow problems because of the hardness of the water, so I'm going to have to switch the system over to drip tubing. It's a lot of work, but I'll do practically anything to avoid another $998 August water bill again Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  I now have to do supplemental hand watering because of the heat wave- tomatoes are drooping and showing signs of stress- whiteflies are starting in on the tomatoes and the squash plants, taking advantage of the stressed plants.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/25/2014, 12:52 pm

Yardslave wrote:My veggies are on life support...water rates here are 3X the average for ANY water municipality in the state.  I'm going to have to switch the system over to drip tubing. It's a lot of work, but I'll do practically anything to avoid another $998 August water bill again Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  .

You've got to be kidding!!  $998 for water??    What a Face That's a nice mortgage payment.  I really, really feel for you. I hope you have a thick layer of wood chips down.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 7/25/2014, 1:00 pm

$998 was last August, the year before the tab for watering was $996! If the drought gets any worse, California will have to change the state flower from the Golden Poppy to Gramma's dusty, plastic livingroom flowers!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/25/2014, 1:10 pm

Yardslave wrote: If the drought gets any worse, California will have to change the state flower from the Golden Poppy to Gramma's dusty, plastic livingroom flowers!
 funny post   How true!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/25/2014, 1:12 pm

That's crazy.

So much for privatizing always making things cheaper. Another so called law of the universe that turns out to be no less a human construct than any other.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/25/2014, 1:22 pm

I got up at 6 AM to beat the heat.  I needed to fine tune the new drip system and set up the grids.  I planted Silver Queen, Dragon Tongue and soy beans in half of the squares.  I'll get the Woodchips on tonight.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Table_14
I'm inside for the rest of the day until late evening/night.  I need to turn the Berkeley pile and remove the soldier fly larva from the worm bin.  I stumbled upon a clever way to scoop out the larva: place some fresh cantaloupe rinds, tomatoes and cucumber peelings in the corner.  They all came out of hiding and are now swarming the meal.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/25/2014, 4:07 pm

Sanderson - I just love your TT's.   I am going to build some that size next year or after I retire in 13 months and counting.  I have a question about the drip lines in theses boxes.   My question is,

It looks like there are tubes running down the length of the long sides.  Are these 1/4 inch solid tubes.  Also, are these tubes running down the length of both sides.

I assume the tubes going across the width are 1/4 inch drip tubes with drips every 6 inches.  Are these tubes connected to the tubes running down both of the long sides of the box.  Are they connected at both sides.

It looks like the tubes going across the width of the boxes are 6 inches apart.  Is this correct.  Two tubes per square.

I am going to eventually convert all my boxes to no more than 2 feet wide.  I am tired of looking thru a jungle of vines to pick my peas and beans.  I would like to get at them from each side.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/26/2014, 1:49 am

Those look gorgeous, sanderson. You sure manage to get a lot of squares into a small space.

Yolos -- I'm with you on boxes that aren't too wide. It can be hard enough going through a foot of densely planted peas or beans ... or even tomatoes sometimes. I really like how much easier it is when you don't have to fight through multiple layers of jungle. Especially when squatting! That gets to feel half impossible ...
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/26/2014, 2:45 am

Yolos,  Thank you.  I love the ease of working these boxes.  2' x 8' and 2 1/2' x 4'.  Congrats on your pending retirement!  Very Happy 

Each box has one solid 1/4" tube running down one side.  The 1/4" drip lines are teed off the solid line and plugged at their ends with goof plugs.  Last year I started off with a solid line down both long sides and the drip lines connected to both, making a large connected grid.  But, I couldn't move the lines out of the way if I just wanted to work on one or a few squares because it was one large grid.

The 2 lines across each square are 4" apart.  That spacing works good for 1, 4, 9, 2 (cucumbers) and 8 (pole beans or peas) spacing.  For 16, I have to spread them apart a tad, one seed on the left, one on the right and 2 in the middle, repeated 4 times.

I hope this helps. Oh, one thing I didn't do this time that I have always done before is to stretch out and pin down the tubing to get the extreme curl out. As you can see in the photo, I'm having a heck of a time getting the drip tubes to lie flat!  Embarassed 

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/26/2014, 2:51 am

Thanks Marc. I think after the 3' x 3' TT is built, that will be it. That will be over 100 squares plus the 30 something pots.

Yolos, Regarding stretching out the tubing, I meant to roll it out straight on the lawn and pin/stake it down in the sun for a day or two.

I ordered another 200' from Dripworks Wed night and I got the box this afternoon!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/26/2014, 3:49 am

sanderson, do you feel when you're all set up at last, fully maxed out, you'll be well on your way to your garden paying for itself year by year, or even turning out to be a financially rewarding investment?

I'd love to hit that sweet spot myself, but I'm definitely not there yet.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/26/2014, 5:37 am

Marc, I think I will break even at my age, if I look at it realistically. I figure I have 8 more summers that I will be able to garden. And, I am really looking forward to those 8 summers, especially if I can get some tomatoes next year.  Very Happy  I think I have spent over $1,200 (some inheritance) setting up, even with the free wood for some of the boxes and re-purposing odds and ends. PVC, EMC, fittings, 3.5 mil plastic, zip ties, weed and tulle fabrics, sea kelp, worm castings, worm tubes, trellis netting, hardware cloth, screws, bolts, plywood, stain, etc., add up. I haven't deprived myself if I really want or need something. Since I'm in a neighborhood, everything has to look decent.

I'm getting the hang of composting so I would say that I am now on the profit side of that. A cheap bale of straw a year to supplement my leaves. Replacement seeds will be way less than $100/year. I'm recording most of the harvest this year to see what the value is. If it's $200, then from here out, things should amortize nicely.

It's hard to put a value on something you have fun doing!  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/26/2014, 2:23 pm

Yeah, there are so many health rewards to growing your own that I think it's worth doing even if you lose money, and it's an intriguing hobby. For people with enough land, there's even the chance to sell at a farmer's market and such, which is pretty cool.

I garden in three places, and I've begun to ask myself if I should cut way back in one place or eliminate it altogether next year. It's so hard to garden there that I'm starting to ask myself just how much I'm getting back for what I put in.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/26/2014, 8:04 pm

I love your table tops too Sanderson!

I have been thinking about you all in the hot area's of the state with limited water (((hugs)))

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/26/2014, 9:24 pm

I was showing off your tt to my hubby and he wants to know what you used for the bottom and how they were attached?  

As to garden paying for itself - I had about $500 into my first year $500 into my second year and $800 into the greenhouse this year.  Guestimating but it wouldn't be more than $2,000.

Because we live so far away from groceries the less trips we make we save a lot that you can't really count.  It isn't really about to cost of veggies as much as the number of trips saved down the hill.

100 mile round trip at 16 mpg = $25 roughly
Usually 2 meals eaten out       = $60
$ of something you can't live without that you would have lived without had you not seen it?  Incalculable, LOL!

I used to have to make a trip in for groceries minimum every 2 weeks, now we can usually go a month and we're giving away enough groceries to bless 3 or 4 financially strapped families consistently. 

So, I think we win no matter what the actual $ say :-)!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/26/2014, 11:49 pm

Audrey, I will try to take photos of the underneath tomorrow. They will show how the 1/2" plywood bottoms are attached and supported. The Interior dimensions are true 2' x 8' and 2 1/2' x 4'.

Having a garden up there definitely makes sense. Having a large green house makes even more sense, extending the season with fresh produce. Just driving up and down the hill adds to the bill and the wear on the car.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/27/2014, 1:15 am

The cost of trips to town can definitely add up. For me it's roughly five bucks per trip, but only if I don't go many places. Which of course I often do, since I'm in town, right? Even five bucks a shot adds up fairly quickly, though. Thank goodness it's not as expensive for me as it is for Audrey, though. It rarely goes as high as ten bucks, and I don't eat out.

Audrey, it sounds like you folks really will be saving some money by cutting out trips. Most of what I buy on trips to the grocery store is veggies and fruit anyway, because they're so perishable. (Most everything else, even bread, can be frozen, or, like milk, lasts for weeks.) If you can supply all or most of your own produce, I can see having to hit the supermarket far less often and saving money that way.

Hope one day I get my gardens as productive as yours!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/27/2014, 12:39 pm

One of the things I'm enjoying the most is my son-in-law (who hates veggies) is getting passionate about his own garden and even starting to eat what he's growing!  So fun to watch him get excited about every new thing and to be able to answer his questions.  

His garden, of course, is long on watermelon, cantaloupe and strawberries, and entirely missing anything dark green but hey, it's a start!  

He found a source for ladybugs in Mariposa or Madera (can't remember which he said) and bought 7500 for us to split between our gardens.  My ladybugs are loving it here and are eating away.  I also discovered hover flies in my greenhouse - which I never knew existed or what they did after reading about them here.  They are my new best friends!  Aphid infestation seems to be turning a corner with the addition.  

Can't wait for August to be over and to head into our productive fall season.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next