Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To sow or not to sow, that is the question Toplef10To sow or not to sow, that is the question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To sow or not to sow, that is the question I22gcj10To sow or not to sow, that is the question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To sow or not to sow, that is the question Toplef10To sow or not to sow, that is the question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To sow or not to sow, that is the question I22gcj10To sow or not to sow, that is the question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

To sow or not to sow, that is the question

5 posters

Go down

To sow or not to sow, that is the question Empty To sow or not to sow, that is the question

Post  marinazar 6/23/2013, 11:13 pm

Hi everyone! I had a rockin' raised bed garden in West Seattle circa 2009 after moving here from Texas. It was an unseasonably warm, early summer and things were great.  Fast forward to a move to Tacoma, a toddler and a very late install of new raised beds.  We literally planted starters today!

I could not find starters for some veggies I really wanted to grow so I picked up seeds: Kohlrabi, spinach and carrots.  I'm confused at everything I read including the seed package to wait until July for Fall harvest.  Except for Mother News Earth. Am I understanding the chart correctly? I can direct sow these three now?

(Add w w w) motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/what-to-plant-now-june-pacific-northwest-gardening-region.aspx#axzz2V1lAmdO3

Thanks everyone!
marinazar
marinazar

Female Posts : 4

http://www.ecoandsprout.com

Back to top Go down

To sow or not to sow, that is the question Empty Re: To sow or not to sow, that is the question

Post  FamilyGardening 6/24/2013, 12:16 am

welcome to the PNW area of the SFG forum Smile marinazar

yes....from what we understand we too will be planting some carrots and spinach for a fall harvest....your Kohlrabi should be fine too.....we have cole crop seedlings growing inside under lights now....cabbage, kale, collard greens, broccoli and cauliflower...

we also will be replanting sugar snap peas and lettuce for a fall harvest.....

we are still learning on planting for a fall and/or winter harvesting....so i hope others will come along with what their plans are Very Happy

this is a great forum and we have wonderful gardeners here in the PNW...its really nice when another gardener comes along Very Happy we love pictures too!

happy gardening
rose....who is gardening on the puter cause its POURing out side Shocked
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

To sow or not to sow, that is the question Empty Re: To sow or not to sow, that is the question

Post  Nicola 6/24/2013, 12:46 am

Hi,  marinazar, and  welcome  to the To sow or not to sow, that is the question 3194053932 forum!

I read your Mother Earth News chart, and I came to the same  conclusion as you did: plant those seeds in June. However, reading the articles seems to suggest maybe waiting a bit.
Do your seed packages give a "xx Days to Maturity" guide? Count backward from your last frost date, add in some more time (as in, plant earlier) to make sure they really do mature.  Hope it helps!

Last edited by Nicola on 6/24/2013, 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed emoticons)
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/24/2013, 1:03 am

Hi marinazar and glad you\'re here to the forum! Glad you found us in the PNW section.

I include that Mother Earth News "What to Plant Now" chart in each of the new monthly threads. I questioned the idea of planting carrots and lettuce in June as well. All the seed packages recommend July for fall harvest, like you noticed. And counting back from the first frost for me means July as well. But I decided to try it just to see what happens. My lettuce isn't doing much yet, but the carrots seem to be doing well. I hear carrots will slow down in the heat, but leaving them in longer in the fall if they didn't turn out to grow much through June/July won't hurt them. Lettuce, we'll see. So far mine hasn't done much. Another member here in the PNW, happycamper, grows it year round. She puts it behind taller growing tomatoes and such during the hot summer months.

Anyway, congrats on your new raised beds and your sweet little toddler! So glad you were able to find some starts to fill up those beds and make use of the season. I did some starts this year as well due to my raised beds getting completed later than expected! Now is a great time to sow beans if you want to see something grow from seed. I'm trying Dragons Tongue bush beans this year, based on rave reviews by some members here. So far super fun to grow because their first leaves are HUGE. Smile

gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 11:57 am

Hi marinazar,

You're right: 2009 was a fabulous year to be a vegetable gardener.  On the other hand, 2010 was nearly a disaster.

And that is the answer to your question! Wink It's futile to precisely plan your planting dates.  Here in the PNW, our average weather is marginal,  and it varies  unpredictably one way or another from year to year.

For the last 4 years, I've been starting my fall planting a little bit earlier each year.  I've already started some cool crops (earliest ever for me), and will stagger start some more over the next few weeks in order to hedge my bets against the weather, whatever it may be.

I would suggest starting your planting now, and then stagger some more plantings over the next month.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  marinazar 6/24/2013, 2:28 pm

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

I think I have it. I think :-)

I'll direct sow the Kohlrabi and some of the carrots now. Then I'll sow the spinach indoors until July. Sound ok?

I'm loving our new boxes and this forum!
marinazar
marinazar

Back to top Go down

Post  marinazar 6/24/2013, 6:37 pm

P.s. I got out Ed Humes' Northwest Gardening and his chart has Kohlrabi 4/1 to 7/15 direct sow.  Yaay!

Spinach start indoors. Plant 4/1 to 8/15.  Check.
Carrots direct sow 3/15 - 7/15. Check.

I'm excited to get back outside!
marinazar
marinazar

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/24/2013, 6:51 pm

Just keep posting so I can see that darling little face come up with your avatar pic!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  marinazar 6/24/2013, 7:19 pm

Oh my goodness you are too funny!

He is pretty cute :-)
marinazar
marinazar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down