Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie/convert in Merced Toplef10Newbie/convert in Merced 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie/convert in Merced I22gcj10Newbie/convert in Merced 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie/convert in Merced Toplef10Newbie/convert in Merced 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie/convert in Merced I22gcj10Newbie/convert in Merced 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie/convert in Merced

5 posters

Go down

Newbie/convert in Merced Empty Newbie/convert in Merced

Post  PeonyLover 1/5/2012, 5:32 pm

Hello. I'm in the process of converting my traditional garden to a SFG in the long narrow strip of land on the side of my house. Last year after buying this (our first-yeah!) house I decided I wanted a garden. Always had one growing up and now wished I paid more attention. It did pretty well-living here in the central vally helps. Had some great tomatoes and I still have one die hard strawberry plant still producing-despite obvious frost damage. Guess there is always one over achiever in the bunch. I'm coverting to a SFG. I just placed an order for seeds from Baker for tomatoes & melons. I have a few questions.

1. When do you all start your tomato seeds?

2. Where is a good place to get starts for onions, leeks and garlic? Seeds? Slips? grocery store?

3. Any advice on growing onions, leeks, garlic.

4. Is an 18" raised box deep enough carrots or potato?

Any advice greatly appriciated and I'll post some pics when I figure out how.
PeonyLover
PeonyLover

Female Posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Newbie/convert in Merced Empty Re: Newbie/convert in Merced

Post  sfg4uKim 1/5/2012, 7:44 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you had a chance to read the All New Square Foot Gardening book yet? If not, I highly recommend it. It will give you info on when to start tomatoes and depth of boxes.

I'm not too familiar with onions, leeks and garlic, but I think you'll have success by doing a search of each of these one at a time in the area to the upper left.

Can't wait to see pictures. How to Post a Picture

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Newbie/convert in Merced WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/5/2012, 8:04 pm

Can't help with the climatology over there. I just wanted to pop in and say..

Welcome to the forum!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 1/5/2012, 10:30 pm

PeonyLover wrote:
1. When do you all start your tomato seeds?
2. Where is a good place to get starts for onions, leeks and garlic? Seeds? Slips? grocery store?
3. Any advice on growing onions, leeks, garlic.
4. Is an 18" raised box deep enough carrots or potato?
Hey there, and welcome! You're only about 30+ miles south of us...still pretty much the same weather. Right now we're having such gorgeous weather...unfortunately! We should be having RAIN...lots of RAIN...maybe next week. Sad

Here's the link to my post on What to plant in January for our region. Great info from this particular site...I use this each month to send to the Apollo Gardeners here in Modesto.

For some answers to your questions...
1. ...we are getting seeds ready for sprouting now. Tomato seeds will be started this next week under the warming lights in shallow trays. You might have a favorite way, this is what we do and it seems to work OK.
2. ...I just asked Al where he got our onions and garlic last year. Garlic was actually from the grocery store (!) and the onions were from OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware). Many of the other gardeners here in the Apollo Garden did the same thing with fantastic results!
3. ...not too much advice because we all just stuck them down in that great MM and let 'em do their thing! We made a big mistake of letting the onions go to seed and lost some that would have been better if harvested earlier.
4. ...You Bet!! All of our Apollo Garden boxes are 18" deep and nearly everyone had great carrot crops, some of the best I've seen! One of our gardeners planted purple potatoes last season with OK results, but she planted late. She planted sweet potatoes at the end of summer and had an amazing crop...she thought she only had a few until she began carefully digging with a pitchfork. HUGE crate of yummy goodies...she shared some with us and I can tell you, those were the best I've ever eaten!

Good Luck...I'm anxious to see your pics too!
happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Newbie/convert in Merced Empty Thanks!

Post  PeonyLover 1/11/2012, 9:19 pm

Thank you for the invite. I may have make a run up there soon. My seeds from Baker Creek arrived today! So excited and they threw in a free gift, so I'll be trying even more tomatoes. I also got Charentais & Melon Piel de Sapo (toad skin melon). Getting really excited-now everyone outside for a little rain dance. LOL
Linda
PeonyLover
PeonyLover

Back to top Go down

Newbie/convert in Merced Empty Making progress!

Post  PeonyLover 2/10/2012, 10:13 pm

OK. I'm making progress. I got a bunch of free reclaimed boards to build my boxes with and they should be done this weekend if the rain holds off. I finished my DIY compost tumbler (yeah!) and got the bags of stuff to make my Mel's mix. All but two of my seeds germinated and are happily under their new grow light ($10 @ Wally World). And finally decided to build another box 2x4 for more tomatoes. I'll post some pictures when I'm on my computer-can't post from my iPad (boo). Now off for a hot bath and a good nights sleep.
PeonyLover
PeonyLover

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 2/10/2012, 10:40 pm

Yay!! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your work!
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Newbie/convert in Merced Empty Thanks...and a question

Post  PeonyLover 2/11/2012, 1:24 pm

PNG-Grandma, what date do you use for last frost? I was thinking of shooting for March 1st with hoop houses on standby just in case. I'm wanting (really who isn't-lol) tomatoes ASAP.
PeonyLover
PeonyLover

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 2/11/2012, 2:20 pm

PeonyLover wrote:I was thinking of shooting for March 1st with hoop houses on standby just in case.
I agree, March 1st is probably a really safe bet...here is a link to an interactive map.

Fresno shows a day or so earlier for your last frost, and up here in Modesto we're about a week earlier. Still, I think March 1st is a good date!

I started some Sweet 100s seeds a day or so ago on a damp paper towel, on a plate, inside a gallon zip-type clear plastic bag. I wanted it on some source of warmth without real heat, so I placed it on the box for my satellite tv connection! Just enough warmth to cause the condensation inside the bag to keep the little guys from drying out.

I did this last year with great success for my broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage seeds. Hope it works for these little guys! Al gave the rest of his tomato seeds to a neighbor with a growlight set-up. Hope my system works as well! Laughing
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 2/11/2012, 2:56 pm

Great site, PNG_Grandma! Newbie/convert in Merced 3170584802
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Newbie/convert in Merced Empty Photos-I hope

Post  PeonyLover 2/12/2012, 2:03 pm

This is my DIY compost tumbler. It was almost free I had to buy a 4' threaded conduit with two caps and 4 5' lag bolts. The wood was free reclaimed and the barrel was free from the Pepsi bottler (syrup come in them so they are food safe) here in town. I actually got two barrels and one will be used for storing the finished compost. I painted it black (left over from some other project) to help keep it warmer in the cooler months.

Newbie/convert in Merced Diy_co11

Last edited by PeonyLover on 2/12/2012, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong photo)
PeonyLover
PeonyLover

Back to top Go down

Newbie/convert in Merced Empty Tumbler

Post  PeonyLover 2/12/2012, 2:10 pm

We named the tumbler R2D2(we proudly fly the geek flag in our house). It's fun-my 4yo son is eager to "feed" R2D2 daily. Who says science isn't fun.
PeonyLover
PeonyLover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down