Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I need help with my bell peppers! Toplef10I need help with my bell peppers! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I need help with my bell peppers! I22gcj10I need help with my bell peppers! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I need help with my bell peppers! Toplef10I need help with my bell peppers! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I need help with my bell peppers! I22gcj10I need help with my bell peppers! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Today at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Today at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I need help with my bell peppers!

5 posters

Go down

I need help with my bell peppers! Empty I need help with my bell peppers!

Post  LilNurseSteph 4/29/2013, 10:12 pm

I bought a bell pepper plant the Monday after Easter. It did amazingly well for the first two weeks, and then it rained for 3 days or so and now it wilts when the sun hits it. It bloomed 3 peppers in the first two weeks, but now that it has been wilting, they stopped growing. I had it in a window box outside, thought it might be too small, so I planted it in another larger pot by itself. I have since moved it to the front of the house where it gets the morning sun until about 10 or 11, but is wilted again by the late morning. It perks up over night, but wilts daily. Please help!!!
LilNurseSteph
LilNurseSteph

Back to top Go down

I need help with my bell peppers! Empty Re: I need help with my bell peppers!

Post  FamilyGardening 4/29/2013, 11:33 pm

since it perks back up at night...and wilts during the day....sounds like its getting to hot....can you move it to a place that has some shade during the hottest part of the day?

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/30/2013, 7:51 am

Would you be able to post a photo? Are there any other symptoms besides the wilting? spots or discolorations on the foliage? What's the temperature when it starts to wilt? What did you plant it into?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

I need help with my bell peppers! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  LilNurseSteph 5/1/2013, 6:06 pm

I don't know what the temperature was when I took the picture this morning before the sun hit it and before watering. I watered right after the picture was taken.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f81/18/27/77/25/img_2613.jpg

And this picture it was 89 degrees outside and already had the morning sun for about 3 hours.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f81/18/27/77/25/img_2616.jpg
LilNurseSteph
LilNurseSteph

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 5/1/2013, 6:20 pm

It appears that it is planted in potting soil and has run out of nutrients. You need to add a big dose of compost and compost tea and NOW.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2013, 6:29 pm

Yes, that plant is clearly stressed, you can try feeding it but the pot is actually pretty small. You may want to pot up = transplant it into a pot of Mel's mix or something with compost in it.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

I need help with my bell peppers! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  LilNurseSteph 5/1/2013, 6:58 pm

bnoles wrote:It appears that it is planted in potting soil and has run out of nutrients. You need to add a big dose of compost and compost tea and NOW.

Thank you!
LilNurseSteph
LilNurseSteph

Back to top Go down

Post  LilNurseSteph 5/1/2013, 7:02 pm

camprn wrote:Yes, that plant is clearly stressed, you can try feeding it but the pot is actually pretty small. You may want to pot up = transplant it into a pot of Mel's mix or something with compost in it.

What is Mel's mix?? I have a larger pot that I just got yesterday. I'll put it in there. What all do you put in your compost? I've used egg shells, coffee grounds and some end parts of celery. I put it all in there on Monday with some Miracle Grow blue powder stuff that I mixed in the soil. Because I live on base, we're not allowed to dig/garden in the soil here because of some chemicals that had been detected, so I do have to stick to pots while living here.
LilNurseSteph
LilNurseSteph

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2013, 8:20 pm

LilNurseSteph wrote:
camprn wrote:Yes, that plant is clearly stressed, you can try feeding it but the pot is actually pretty small. You may want to pot up = transplant it into a pot of Mel's mix or something with compost in it.

What is Mel's mix?? I have a larger pot that I just got yesterday. I'll put it in there. What all do you put in your compost? I've used egg shells, coffee grounds and some end parts of celery. I put it all in there on Monday with some Miracle Grow blue powder stuff that I mixed in the soil. Because I live on base, we're not allowed to dig/garden in the soil here because of some chemicals that had been detected, so I do have to stick to pots while living here.

Oh Dear! Ok, here is a
link that explains what this forum and SFG is all about: Mel's Mix

Now onto helping your pepper plant...
The potting soil you planted in, what was it exactly?
The blue powder fertilizer, how did you use it, exactly?

You can certainly have a successful garden in pots, but there are ways to go about it that will give you success.

Do you have any gardening book? What are they?
We are here to help you, but I need to get a better idea of what you know.

For info about Composting read this extensive thread.
Composting 101

There are some of the best threads to be found on the main page, on the left side, click the hover tab.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  LilNurseSteph 5/1/2013, 8:48 pm

camprn wrote:
LilNurseSteph wrote:

Oh Dear! Ok, here is a
link that explains what this forum and SFG is all about: Mel's Mix

Now onto helping your pepper plant...
The potting soil you planted in, what was it exactly?
The blue powder fertilizer, how did you use it, exactly?

You can certainly have a successful garden in pots, but there are ways to go about it that will give you success.

Do you have any gardening book? What are they?
We are here to help you, but I need to get a better idea of what you know.

For info about Composting read this extensive thread.
Composting 101

There are some of the best threads to be found on the main page, on the left side, click the hover tab.

I am a novice!!!!!
The potting soil I used was Miracle Grow Potting Soil.
The fertilizer I used was Miracle Grow All Purpose plant food and I just sprinkled a bit of it in the soil when I replanted it along with the egg shells, coffee grounds and celery.

I do not have any gardening book. When I lived in New Mexico, I just planted them in my little planters and they all grew and produced wonderfully! I love having a vegetable garden, but I've always just bought the small plants or seeds from the garden store and its grown. Once every week or two Ill add in that miracle grow fertilizer when watering. But I read somewhere else that someone had taken out their bell pepper plant, and rinsed off all the dirt on the roots and replanted it. That's what I did Monday.

For some reason though, my window boxes that have the zucchini, green onions, celery, cucumbers and jalapenos are doing amazingly well. My strawberry plant has pretty much died, it produced one small strawberry. And the manoa lettuce that I bought I thought had all died, but one did come back and is now doing very well since I did a makeshift shade for it.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f81/18/27/77/25/img_2618.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f81/18/27/77/25/img_2620.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f81/18/27/77/25/img_2621.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f81/18/27/77/25/img_2622.jpg

LilNurseSteph
LilNurseSteph

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2013, 9:03 pm

Ok, I am going to give you some advice.
If you have some money, buy a basic gardening book and the All New Square Foot Gardening Book (which this forum is based upon).
A list of other gardening books.

If you don't have anymoney, get yourself to the library and borrow some basic gardening books.

Take your poor pepper plant out of it's pot. Dunk it's roots in a bucket of clean water and then plant it in another pot with just the potting soil. I think you overdid it and it needs to get into fresh potting soil. It may be suffering just from the transplant shock, but also it could be too much fertilizer.

It is most likely the blue fertilizer crystals are meant to be mixed with water. This is a clear lesson in one of my mantras, 'ALWAYS read and FOLLOW the label directions'.

Don't worry about it. We, all of us, make mistakes and you are learning.

There is a lot of info here and on the web but being a complete novice, it would serve you well to grab a book and start reading and learning.

I have confidence you may be able to save your pepper plant.
Everything else looks great!

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  LilNurseSteph 5/1/2013, 9:12 pm

camprn wrote:Ok, I am going to give you some advice.
If you have some money, buy a basic gardening book and the All New Square Foot Gardening Book (which this forum is based upon).
A list of other gardening books.

If you don't have anymoney, get yourself to the library and borrow some basic gardening books.

Take your poor pepper plant out of it's pot. Dunk it's roots in a bucket of clean water and then plant it in another pot with just the potting soil. I think you overdid it and it needs to get into fresh potting soil. It may be suffering just from the transplant shock, but also it could be too much fertilizer.

It is most likely the blue fertilizer crystals are meant to be mixed with water. This is a clear lesson in one of my mantras, 'ALWAYS read and FOLLOW the label directions'.

Don't worry about it. We, all of us, make mistakes and you are learning.

There is a lot of info here and on the web but being a complete novice, it would serve you well to grab a book and start reading and learning.

I have confidence you may be able to save your pepper plant.
Everything else looks great!

Ok Thank you Smile I'll do that tonight. Appreciate it greatly!
LilNurseSteph
LilNurseSteph

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/1/2013, 9:30 pm

I LOVE what you did with the zucchini plant, and letting it roam all over the fence! That's awesome!
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  LilNurseSteph 5/1/2013, 11:40 pm

jazzycat wrote:I LOVE what you did with the zucchini plant, and letting it roam all over the fence! That's awesome!

Thank you! Actually, the one that is growing across the fence is the cucumber plant. Both the zucchini and cucumber plant are in that green planter. I honestly have never grown those before and didn't even read up on it to see how big they would be or how they will grow lol. Maybe I shouldn't have put them together, but I didn't know. Smile I just planted them and hoped for the best!
LilNurseSteph
LilNurseSteph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down