Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 Toplef10Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 I22gcj10Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 Toplef10Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 I22gcj10Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Best potting/seed starting soil?

+12
pipefish
jjpell27
walshevak
jdwheeler42
CindiLou
floyd1440
CapeCoddess
JackieB999
cindre2000
quiltbea
camprn
NHGardener
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best potting/seed starting soil?

Post  NHGardener 1/26/2013, 6:45 pm

I never even heard of coir before you mentioned it. I take it that's coconut hull? I'll have to look into that.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best potting/seed starting soil?

Post  camprn 1/26/2013, 6:48 pm

cindre2000 wrote:On a completely unrelated note. The 3 reasons I like coir better than peat moss is that it does not shed water like peat, it is sustainably produced, and it is pH neutral.

Isaac

Coir is a reasonable alternative to the 'peat moss' in the growing mix. The sphagnum peat moss we use here in the US in from sustainable sources in northern US and in Canada. It is slightly acidic at around pH 4.5 and it doesn't require nearly as much water for processing as the coir. Nor does it require shipping on the high seas. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cindre2000 1/26/2013, 6:48 pm

Yep, coconut hull ground baked and compressed (just add water). I stocked up on compressed bricks of it some time ago when I realized the benifits. Also, I forgot, another perk is it does not break down as quickly as peat does....

Isaac
cindre2000
cindre2000

Back to top Go down

Post  cindre2000 1/26/2013, 6:50 pm

camprn wrote:Nor does it require shipping on the high seas. Wink

But the seas be calling to me. Arg!!!! A pirates life for me!
cindre2000
cindre2000

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 1/26/2013, 6:55 pm

Oh. Coir is an offshore product?

I don't know how you all learned all this. I must have missed class that day. Good for you, and thanks for the info.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 1/26/2013, 7:00 pm

My kids got me a bag of Johhny's 512 mix for X-Mas and I got the block maker last year and am looking forward to mixing and making my first blocks for starting seeds, which should be less than a month away, and hopefully this is a good mix..

Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 1/26/2013, 7:05 pm

Actually floyd, that's a good idea too. I nixed that one because shipping was too expensive, but while I was at the garden center today for the farmer's market, I saw that they will order anything you want from Johnnys and it gets delivered to them and you don't have to pay shipping charges. I might just add some Johnny's mix in my experiment because I do have the soil block makers.

I had on my mind to order the Agribon (?) that way, but you just made me think I should order the soil block mix too.

I am slowly going broke... What a Face
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/26/2013, 7:11 pm

NHGardener wrote:

LOL, that's the hazard. 'tis not always easy to set and live with in a budget.... just remember... it's all a process, not an event...I try to pace myself Wink

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 1/26/2013, 7:12 pm

NHGardener wrote:Actually floyd, that's a good idea too. I nixed that one because shipping was too expensive, but while I was at the garden center today for the farmer's market, I saw that they will order anything you want from Johnnys and it gets delivered to them and you don't have to pay shipping charges. I might just add some Johnny's mix in my experiment because I do have the soil block makers.

I had on my mind to order the Agribon (?) that way, but you just made me think I should order the soil block mix too.

OK....what is Agribon????? Am glad the kids got me the 512 soil as the shipping is steep..expecially the further west you live for stuff shipped from Johnny's.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/26/2013, 7:16 pm

Agribon is also known as Remay. Its light weight row cover to repel bugs (lets air and sunshine and rain thru) with different weights up to heavy row cover to prevent frost damage.
I use it and love it. Also keeps birds off my strawberries so I get to eat them.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/26/2013, 7:26 pm

NHGardener wrote:

I laugh every time someone asks me what I SAVE on my garden! rofl Well, I SAVE peace of mind because I know how it was grown. I SAVE on the gym because I get my outside exercise each day. I save my grandkids from having to learn all this on their own. I SAVE my marriage because I am much calmer when I get to be outside in my garden. Money? Nope..don't save a penny because there is always new toys to get. rofl
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 1/26/2013, 7:50 pm

CindiLou, there's a poster in there somewhere. That was great.

quiltbea, I learned about Agribon from your posts, and glad of it. This year I dare the bugs to eat my squash and cucumber seedlings, or the chickens to peck out the sunflower seeds. Touche.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  jdwheeler42 1/26/2013, 11:41 pm

NHGardener wrote:I think I read where it's good to bake potting soil at 180F for maybe half an hour, to kill off the viruses before you use it.

Back when I used a dry, sifted soil mix for starting seeds, I would mix it with boiling water in a metal bowl until I had something the consistency of wet cement and then let it cool. It definitely did stink but I could set it somewhere it didn't matter. I never had any problems with disease.

Now I usually just use the compressed peat pellets or Mel's Mix.
jdwheeler42
jdwheeler42

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/27/2013, 12:12 pm

When I was living in Japan I found good potting soil was nearly impossible to find. The local stuff was the consistancy of coffee grounds, packaged in small bags and very expensive. When I found some at the AAFES, I bought all I could. The next year none was available and as I was tilling up my pots, I found it was loaded with grubs. Thinking to be clever, I dumped a pot into a microwave safe container and popped it in. Fortunately I was watching carefully, as it caught on fire. LESSON LEARNED

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 1/27/2013, 12:25 pm

Mmmm... blackened grubs... delicious. Wink
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/27/2013, 1:00 pm

Good point jdwheeler, about boiling water......I pour boiling water on weeds that try to invade the gravel path alonside my flower bed. Works every time.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  jjpell27 2/15/2013, 4:57 pm

Boiling water is great at killing weeds! Though be careful it will send the earth worms right out of the ground; it's too hot for them! So use it sparingly and target it as much as possible.

My dad's mom use to bake soil in the kitchen oven, apparently it does realllllyy stink but didn't do any lasting damage. Not sure if it was gas or electric but this was also over 30 years ago...
jjpell27
jjpell27

Back to top Go down

Post  pipefish 2/21/2013, 10:13 pm

Would approximately 50% peat moss, 50% vermiculite and a small amount of worm castings (1-0-0) make an OK seedling mix (potting mix) before I transplant outdoors into MM? I have a bag of store-bought soil (with things added, but it is very dense and this talk of soil-borne diseases is freaking me out!).

I'm worried about not having any nutrients with just peat moss and vermiculite. Is it worth adding the worm castings at all? or should I bank on giving some nutrients 3-4 weeks down the road if I'm not yet in the MM?

Thanks,

Dan
pipefish
pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/22/2013, 6:20 am

Dan both peat and vermiculite have no nutrition for your little plants. Adding worm castings will give a bit of nutrition. If the seedlings remain in the little pots or cells and are not growing well, you could use some liquid plant food. I sometimes will use a weak miracle-gro like solution.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  pipefish 2/25/2013, 7:47 pm

I'm waiting for my sprouts to mature in vermiculite at the moment and want to share my potting mix recipe before I transplant them (I'm so nervous I'm going to do them more harm than good in my mix)...

4 cups sphagnum peat moss
4 cups vermiculite
1 cup worm castings (1-0-0)
1 cup Fafard's "perfect planting soil" (says sterilized on bag)
1/2 cup dehydrated poultry manure (4-2-2)

I have already mixed it up and it has stayed very light (no significant change in texture from it just being peat moss and vermiculite)

Any thoughts before I (...the seeds) take the plunge? Thanks,
Dan
pipefish
pipefish

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 2/25/2013, 8:24 pm

Dan

Sounds good but I would give it a try to see how it works I use the block makers and actually used miracle grow potting soil last fall to see how it worked and did fine. So just fuss around to see what works for you
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 2/25/2013, 9:08 pm

Hi Dan, just a question. The worm castings and poultry manure, where did you get the numbers? Is this bagged, purchased? I haven't got my worm castings(from my own worms) tested, but, I truly believe mine must be a higher number.
I started mine in MM that I put in a zippy bag, in micro for 3 min,(it was real hot) then potted my babies, after starting in just vermiculite. I've been watering with weak worm tea and my tomato plants were started too soon. They are growing leaps and bounds. They love the worm tea!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  pipefish 2/25/2013, 9:31 pm

Hi Jo,

The numbers come from the bags: "Wiggle Worm: Soil Builder" is the product for the castings and "Organic Traditions: Garden Manure" is the poultry based fertilizer.

Great to hear your tomatoes are flying up! Worms sound like a great investment.
pipefish
pipefish

Back to top Go down

Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 Empty When are you transferring from just vermiculite?

Post  treefrog62 3/7/2013, 2:02 pm

Okay, this is my first time I am starting seeds in vermiculite (and SFG'ing). Previously I had just started seeds in potting soil, or seed starting soil (pre-packaged stuff).

In the ANSFG and ANSFG Answer book, Mel says he transfers seedlings from vermiculite directly into Mel's Mix, when they still just have the two seed leaves. I have done this for a few of my seedlings, and I am worried. Is this going to be too much nutrients for them?

I put the Mel's Mix in half toilet paper rolls. The seedlings in the vermiculite are getting very tall, but are extremely skinny (is that what is referred to as "leggy"?). I was concerned about waiting till they grew true leaves to transfer them, since they looked like they needed more support/nutrients/something.

Any recommendations?
treefrog62
treefrog62

Female Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/7/2013, 5:26 pm

Most folks have their own way of sowing their seeds and the medium they use. Me, I plant mine directly in Mel's Mix. YMMV Cool

Best potting/seed starting soil? - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next