Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 Toplef10What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 I22gcj10What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 Toplef10What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 I22gcj10What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 8:05 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What will you do differently this year?

+22
quiltbea
cyclonegardener
jkahn2eb
jillintx
JK
Turan
CindiLou
CharlesB
plantoid
llama momma
CapeCoddess
Pollinator
1airdoc
WolfHeart
kat51415
littlejo
Goosegirl
bwaynef
GWN
Lemonie
deriter
johnsonjlj
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: What will you do differently this year?

Post  Turan 1/15/2013, 12:50 am

I also just planted half a pot of cilantro and half of mixed greens. Rolling Eyes
I need to go search for more info on pepper growing, doing that better is on my list for this year.

NO POTATOES. I say that every year and then plant a few. But this year I am planting rutabagas where I would other wise put potatoes. I grew them once before but did not take enough care or time or space for them.

The kids gave me auto vents to put in the cold frames and Santa gave me one more cold frame. So I will use those and move the hoops to keeping bugs from the broccoli.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

What will you do differently this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: What will you do differently this year?

Post  Turan 1/15/2013, 2:08 pm

Turan wrote:
NO POTATOES. I say that every year and then plant a few. But this year I am planting rutabagas where I would other wise put potatoes.

Of course I could use a half rotted hay bale to plant the potatoes in. Or 2, stacked, pushing the chits between the flakes on the sides and top. Hay is more nutritious than straw.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 1/15/2013, 2:48 pm

This will be year two for me. I will be adding four 4x4 boxes. Growing all heirloom varietys. Just got the seeds in the mail today bounce I will be attempting to start everything from seed instead of spending extra on transplants from the nursery. I plan to water more often during the summer instead of saying its to hot to go water... Embarassed I plan to put alot more effort into my composting. I live in the woods so my browns are easy but my greens require some searching. Plan on trying one entire box of blue jade heirloom corn.
JK

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/15/2013, 2:58 pm

I will get off my duff and water better! And make sure to start my WINTER garden MUCH sooner.
And can! I didn't do much canning last year.
I need to do that more instead of just letting the beds be used for stuff that is space wasting. For example last year I tried kidney beans. Um why? thinking Beans are cheap!
And go to the farmers market and buy veggies! They are nice and cheap here! And I can can lol..
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 11:13 am

With you there!!! Just planted a round pot with marigold seeds and an oblong herb pot with lettuce, spinach, and basil for a mini indoor garden just to satisfy the urge!
I have planted a scarlet runner by my kitchen sink just to watch it grow...
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 11:26 am

NO POTATOES.
TURAN... why no potatoes?
I have my whole potato crop down in the basement, and they seem to be doing well. I have been focusing on using up all of my mystery squashes, but now that you mention it I should be using up those potatoes.

Cindylou..... I really loved having the dried beans this year, even though they ARE cheap. It was fun in the fall to sit around breaking them open, and they ARE the easiest thing to preserve. and they then last for years.
PLUS they so high in protein, they substitute for meat. OKOK I will slowly get off my soap box and walk away.....
OH and this year I have heirloom exotic drying beans.... rock on
OK so I HAVE had a few extra cups of coffee today...
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/16/2013, 11:58 am

Right now I'm using my cupboard boxes as cold frames, but there is only about 4" of head space, so the plants end up touching the plexiglass window covers. This spring I will dig out some of the MM in order to give new seedlings more growing room.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/16/2013, 1:41 pm

GWN wrote: TURAN... why no potatoes?

Because this area has lots of good local grown potatoes. Sort of like CindyLou was saying, I need to focus my space on those things that are harder to get here, or expensive. Also I want to grow more eggplant and peppers and determinate tomatoes in my cold frames. The potatoes make the rotations much harder. Last, but not least, my DH tries to not eat potatoes because they are so high starch and he totally loves rutabagas as do I.

In a related topic (growing ones own starch) the family consensus was not to bother with sweet corn. They do not like modern sweet corn, it is too sweet and has no corn taste they tell me. Instead we are growing a bit of Painted Mountain field corn. We used to grow it ages ago, and would eat some ears green and then let the rest dry. I want to be able to throw a handful of whole kernels into my pot of beans to soak with the beans and then slow cook together. Trying to find whole, organic, non GMO, corn is incredibly difficult!

Experience tells me I will sneak a few fingerling potatoes in somewhere in some scheme. thinking

Are you going to try quinoa again?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  jillintx 1/16/2013, 4:25 pm

I have three big changes for this year -

I finally bought a few shop lights for my seedlings. The seedlings were a week old when I set up the lights (this past weekend) and within ONE DAY I saw a difference.

I need to not plant the "sun lovers" in the mid afternoon-shaded beds...which means I'll be setting up a couple of new growing areas and using several buckets...which means my drip irrigation will need to be redone.

I will not let the grasshoppers win again. I've had bad grasshoppers for the past 2 years. Last year they leveled almost everything - they even ate my sunchokes down to stubby stalks! I tried using tulle to cover the fall garden...they chewed holes in the tulle to get in. I've heard guinea fowl and ducks are voracious...I'm willing to bring in a few if I have to. Twisted Evil

I guess I should add a #4...I will eat the kale, rather than just look at it and think how cool it looks and how healthy it must be. Smile
jillintx
jillintx

Female Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/16/2013, 4:30 pm

jillintx wrote: I've heard guinea fowl and ducks are voracious...I'm willing to bring in a few if I have to. Twisted Evil

If you are willing to bring in a few soldiers, you could try a few geese. VORACIOUS and will be great guards as well - territorial and will keep out some of the furry critters that raid (squirrels, coons, and such)

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  jillintx 1/16/2013, 4:41 pm

Thanks GG - sounds like this could be a win/win! I'm not familiar with any birds other than chickens, and I'm down to just one old hen who tends to avoid the big hoppers. My biggest furry problem is with skunks that have decided to live under the barn...not sure what geese would think of those, but if they would get rid of skunks and grasshoppers I will set them up in a goose palace!
jillintx
jillintx

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 6:08 pm

Trying to find whole, organic, non GMO, corn is incredibly difficult!
I have never grown corn because of a colitis I have however this last year I found that I DID tolerate some.... so this year I am going to try it.
I have ordered Corn seeds from seed savers exchange, so KNOW that they will be non gmo
I got mandan bride, stow ells evergreen, and reids yellow dent. They are all heirlooms. and the mandan bride I am going to attempt to make corn flour out of. Turan check out seed savers exchange....
This is the year I AM going to try growing grains to make into flour, as I got a stone grinder last year.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 6:13 pm

I guess I should add a #4...I will eat the kale, rather than just look at it and think how cool it looks and how healthy it must be.
Very Happy I find that kale can get away on you, especially when there is so much other stuff you are trying to make into dinners.
I tried to make Kale chips by using a dehydrator, and though everyone here raved about them, I did not like them, so I took the dried Kale chips and put them in the blender and then had a dry "herb" to sprinkle on other things.... GOOD way to use up Kale and get more of it in the winter.
Good luck with the grasshoppers. Do you find that they follow a cycle, some years almost non existent and others year over abundant?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 8:15 pm

Just today as I got to the end of my dill in the spice cupboard I reminded myself that next year I intend to dry all of the extra basil, dill, oregano and thyme I have. It always seems that there is tons of it then and then this time of year it would be nice to have more

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/16/2013, 9:09 pm

Turan wrote:
GWN wrote: TURAN... why no potatoes?

Because this area has lots of good local grown potatoes. Sort of like CindyLou was saying, I need to focus my space on those things that are harder to get here, or expensive. Also I want to grow more eggplant and peppers and determinate tomatoes in my cold frames. The potatoes make the rotations much harder. Last, but not least, my DH tries to not eat potatoes because they are so high starch and he totally loves rutabagas as do I.

In a related topic (growing ones own starch) the family consensus was not to bother with sweet corn. They do not like modern sweet corn, it is too sweet and has no corn taste they tell me. Instead we are growing a bit of Painted Mountain field corn. We used to grow it ages ago, and would eat some ears green and then let the rest dry. I want to be able to throw a handful of whole kernels into my pot of beans to soak with the beans and then slow cook together. Trying to find whole, organic, non GMO, corn is incredibly difficult!

Experience tells me I will sneak a few fingerling potatoes in somewhere in some scheme. thinking

Are you going to try quinoa again?
Turan, you might try these folks, you'll find no gmo, and they have seed, with descriptions of the types of corn, flour, eating, popcorn, etc. Jo
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/16/2013, 11:33 pm

Aw, jeez thanks, you guys. I did not mean I can not find seed for growing corn. I have a hard time finding non ground dried corn for cooking or milling myself. Hence the desire to grow some myself. I could buy whole or rolled corn at the feed store, but that is likely GMO and I do not even feed it to my chickens.

Painted Mountain corn was developed here in Montana by crossing a whole lot of native corns. It is a genetically diverse corn, so you should save seed to select for that which does best in your own micro climate. My kids and I did this a long time ago. It was part of teaching genetics and cooking and gardening. They had a Josefina cook book, need I say more Laughing

GWN, Stowells evergreen sweet corn is my favorite sweet corn, bar none. It needs too long a season and too much heat for here. I used to grow it in Southern California.

Littlejo, Thanks for the sandhill link. They have Golden lace Wyandotte chickens! Minimum order is 20, maybe I can find some one to split an order with Very Happy

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  jillintx 1/17/2013, 9:26 am

[quote="GWN"]
Good luck with the grasshoppers. Do you find that they follow a cycle, some years almost non existent and others year over abundant?

We haven't lived in this area long enough for me to see it, but I've heard that's what happens. I'm really looking forward to the non existent years! And thanks for the kale tip - I'll definitely try that.
jillintx
jillintx

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 1/17/2013, 10:17 am

I'll make 100% effort to find tasty eggplant dishes. It is my best producer in the desert summer and so far I've failed at the various recipes. Grilling seems to be the best. I know I need to let it soak in water/salt before cooking longer.

I plan to put up a permanent structure of wood beams to increase vertical gardening and hang shade cloth (instead of using flimsy, ugly PVC pipes)

Lastly, do a better job maintaining my irrigation system and watering cycles.
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/17/2013, 12:59 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
jillintx wrote: I've heard guinea fowl and ducks are voracious...I'm willing to bring in a few if I have to. Twisted Evil

If you are willing to bring in a few soldiers, you could try a few geese. VORACIOUS and will be great guards as well - territorial and will keep out some of the furry critters that raid (squirrels, coons, and such)

GG
Turkeys are pretty good at grasshopper hunting too.
But with all of these I find you have to fence off the vegetable garden from them, they LOVE seedlings and tomatoes! A bird perimeter patrol does pretty well here. Last couple years that has been chickens alone.

Turkeys are good grazers as well, but get real obnoxious when they mature. At least our have, makes butchering a relief in the fall. I gather that geese can make better pets if handled correctly as youngsters?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/17/2013, 1:52 pm

Turan wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

GG
Turkeys are pretty good at grasshopper hunting too.
But with all of these I find you have to fence off the vegetable garden from them, they LOVE seedlings and tomatoes! A bird perimeter patrol does pretty well here. Last couple years that has been chickens alone.

Turkeys are good grazers as well, but get real obnoxious when they mature. At least our have, makes butchering a relief in the fall. I gather that geese can make better pets if handled correctly as youngsters?

Geese can be obnoxious as adults as well, so if you like a good roast goose.....
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/17/2013, 1:59 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
Geese can be obnoxious as adults as well, so if you like a good roast goose.....

drooling hungry drooling

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  jillintx 1/17/2013, 5:15 pm

I really appreciate the input about the bigger birds. I'll have to give the obnoxious factor a lot of thought...maybe I should just rig up a border patrol of chickens.

Thank you both!!
jillintx
jillintx

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/17/2013, 5:43 pm

GWN wrote:
Cindylou..... I really loved having the dried beans this year, even though they ARE cheap. It was fun in the fall to sit around breaking them open, and they ARE the easiest thing to preserve. and they then last for years.
PLUS they so high in protein, they substitute for meat.

I know gwen...but I am growing for me, my youngest daughter, my oldest daughter and her two little ones, and my cousin and her hubby that lost everything in a fire Nov 30th. So I just don't have room. Well, I would but I want to try cotton lol..Josh's fault! I have a mix of white, green, and brown bolls coming. With seeds and all. So I am going to try that for a fun project.

A 4x4 is going to be used that I tried blueberries in a couple of years ago. I will plant mammoth sunflowers in the back row and then plant a cotton seed in each square. The sunflower grows so fast I believe the cotton will grow fine in that square too. We will see. I am going to start the cotton as seedlings.

I know beans are great for you. I sneak them in wherever possible lol...hubby says he doesn't like lima beans, you never know where you can sneak them in lol..I do enjoy giving the family good stuff even when they don't know it!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/17/2013, 9:26 pm

I know gwen...but I am growing for me, my youngest daughter, my oldest daughter and her two little ones, and my cousin and her hubby that lost everything in a fire Nov 30th. So I just don't have room. Well, I would but I want to try cotton lol..Josh's fault! I have a mix of white, green, and brown bolls coming. With seeds and all. So I am going to try that for a fun project.
Oh cindylou.... what a huge responsibility, and you are right, beans take up a lot of room. I love this forum, and love my SFG, however space is not an issue for me at all, you best to just ignore me.... Very Happy
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/17/2013, 9:29 pm

SHEESH. with all this talk of obnoxious geese and turkeys, I think I might just train my dog to hunt grasshoppers. He usually sits mystified at them pondering whether they are worthy of a chase..... or not..
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next