Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If you could start over- what would you do differently? Toplef10If you could start over- what would you do differently? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If you could start over- what would you do differently? I22gcj10If you could start over- what would you do differently? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If you could start over- what would you do differently? Toplef10If you could start over- what would you do differently? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If you could start over- what would you do differently? I22gcj10If you could start over- what would you do differently? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:00

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 8:26

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 8:19

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 20:22

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 20:14

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 6:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun 7 Apr 2024 - 8:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 4:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

If you could start over- what would you do differently?

+54
jimmy cee
No_Such_Reality
countrynaturals
Turan
AtlantaMarie
trolleydriver
sanderson
camprn
NHGardener
southern gardener
mijejo
Glendale-gardener
shannon1
janezee
Mamachibi
Goosegirl
AprilakaCCIL
sherryeo
squaredeal
chocolatepop
Dunkinjean
Chopper
plb
Paintedlady
1chichi
milaneyjane
carolintexas
Mirjam
Ha-v-v
jerzyjen
LupinFarm
Gilligan
quiltbea
sbeach
momstitch
titans01
cherriesjubilee
aspiegardner
LindainWarwickNY
Odd Duck
ColoradoNatureGirl
bullfrogbabe
willf650
martha
chexmix
mckr3441
rds1955
Retired Member 1
Lavender Debs
timwardell
nidiyao
Toastie
boffer
MsMinchin
58 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? Empty If you could start over- what would you do differently?

Post  MsMinchin Mon 26 Apr 2010 - 18:46

What would you do if you were starting over SFG today?
For me, I would create a more attractive garden design, more like a French Potager garden.

Something like this:
If you could start over- what would you do differently? 8013-diagram

or this:
If you could start over- what would you do differently? Ss_100178442
We started our garden before we had heard of SFG - and built a 4x10' bed. We've expanded it this year to add a 4x4 pyramid and a 4x4 box. I'll keep working to make it more beautiful. (Google "potager", "potager garden" and "potager garden design" for some inspiration!)

What would you do differently if you were starting today?
MsMinchin
MsMinchin

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? Empty Re: If you could start over- what would you do differently?

Post  boffer Mon 26 Apr 2010 - 19:01

1. Consolidate by beds to make critter fencing easier.

2. Make ALL my beds table tops!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? Empty Re: If you could start over- what would you do differently?

Post  Toastie Mon 26 Apr 2010 - 19:22

1. Not spill the whole bag of green onion seeds into a 4x4 plot
2. not confuse east and west with north when planting large vegetables
3. start earlier
4. when taking tomato cuttings, remember to mark them with what they are
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 3:56

What a great topic!

I'd do different fencing. I made the 'cages' described in the book using 1x2 and chicken wire, but find them bulky and easy to damage the plants when taking them off and on. I'd construct a fencing with posts and fencing, and I will probably do that later this year.

I'd also move the beds out a little from the stone wall they are next to. 3 feet sounds good, but it's a little close when you are carrying a big water bucket or a tray of seedlings right next to the wall.

Otherwise, I love love love my garden, I ate lettuce last night. This is the first time I've ever had any success growing lettuce and it is so succulent! I must have said 10 times, 'oh, this is soooo good'! I can't believe how big the leaves get (buttercrunch) and how quickly they regrow. Everyone who comes to take a look is amazed. Love the Mel's mix!

Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 4:29

I'd plant my potatoes in a separate box of their very own. I haven't had luck growing potatoes for many years but opted to give it a try in the SFG this year. They are going CRAZY and growing larger and more bushy than I remember. The surrounding squares are becoming overshadowed.
... but that's an easy fix that I can make next year. Otherwise I'm very happy with my set up.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 5:34

Good luck on that easy fix Tim!

If I could change anything it would be that only cooked potatoes went into the homegrown compost. At first it was cute, all the little potatoes coming up in the box. When seedlings were small it was easy to pick them out and put them in their own bins (where they apparently suffered NO transplant shock) Now it is just getting irritating, they come up everywhere ....and I am not a big potato eater.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 6:04

I just threw a big bunch of sprouted potatoes in my compost pile - maybe I'll have extra potatoes this year!

I am experimenting with growing potatoes in a garbage can this year, and I'm also going to try some big cat litter buckets...

Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 8:00

I'd go with much wider paths. I'd been going by Mel's original book and set up the raised beds with only 2' paths (the original called for only 1'). I will probably be doing some major remodelling of the garden area this coming Winter to move a couple of beds to made more path room. But then I'll know more of what I'm doing and may try for a nicer look like in the potager garden above. Really classy.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? Empty Do Differently...

Post  rds1955 Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 9:57

I'd start smaller and work my way up... I bought everything last year, enough to have a rather large SFG, and then became ill...Took the wind out of me and has slowed me down quite a bit, even to the present...It's nice to have all the supplies and materials, but if you get tired real fast & real quick, having all the needed things don't matter if you huff & puff, and have to stop every 10 minutes cause your back is killin ya...But like Boffer, It afforded me the opportunity to "Recalibrate" my plans, and I too am doing just about everything via table top method...Slow and Steady is my motto now...
rds1955
rds1955

Male Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 10:22

This is a GREAT topicIf you could start over- what would you do differently? 679265 If you could start over- what would you do differently? 679265 If you could start over- what would you do differently? 679265

A very good way to learn! Toastie's #4 is a good example. That I will remember!

What I would do differently is research the internet 40 years ago (I know -- it wasn't even here then; neither was SFG) and learn about Mel's mix then.

Then I wouldn't have wasted all those years with my plant-and-fail gardening in clay!
Seriously, it's the Mel's Mix done properly that makes it all work!

I love flowers, too. And soon I'm going to make a long box just for perennials. I have a couple of perennials in my existing boxes and will leave them there until...

ClaireIf you could start over- what would you do differently? Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  chexmix Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 11:55

This is my first year but there are a few things I learned and that I will fix or do differently next year.

Make sure you have the right mixture of Mels mix. My first two boxes I'm 99% sure I messed this up. My plants aren't growing as good in these boxes as they are in my other boxes. (Redone half a box and the plants are loving me for it.)

Make my boxes TT instead of just putting on ground. Like rds1955 said, they are harder to take care of if your back is killing you 10 minutes after you get started.

Plant more and lots of different types of lettuce. Didn't realize just how great a really fresh salad before doing SFG.

Figure out what needs a trellis before planting instead of after. If you could start over- what would you do differently? Affraid

Figure out my watering system. I'm not an early riser and I'm sure my plants would appreciate a drink before the sun gets hot.

There are lots of things you learn along the way. Some times you can learn from others mistakes but MOST of the time you have to learn from your own. So make every day a learning exprerience and listen to your plants. Make a journal so you will remember what you did right and wrong from year to year.
chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  martha Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 11:56

Ms. Minchin - I am with you. My main regret is the garden layout. I am improving as I go this year, but I am frustrated, because I would like to have more started, but I have to carefully measure to know where the boxes gets moved....if I liked measuring I would have done it the first time!

However, I LOVE the top drawing in your post! I have seen the bottom one and thought it looked very lovely, but that top one........ If you could start over- what would you do differently? Icon_bounce If you could start over- what would you do differently? Icon_bounce If you could start over- what would you do differently? Icon_bounce Please, can I can I - I won't ask for anything else this summer, I promise!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  willf650 Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 18:16

The beds would be on angle iron frames above the ground. This would make it easier to trim around, easier to work on and keep the dogs out without an ugly fence.
willf650

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 20:12

I wish I had used thicker, higher quality weed barrier under the two 4x4 boxes I installed last year. I removed the sod and used weed barrier under my boxes but grass and tree roots grew up through the weed barrier into my boxes. The roots and grass grew right through the root barrier, it wasn't thick enough.

This spring I had to remove all the Mel's mix, sift out all the grass rhizomes and roots, replace the weed barrier, and re-fill both boxes. Screening all the roots and grass out of the Mel's mix was a lot of work but I couldn't bare the thought of disposing it and starting over due to it being expensive. I had to shake the soil mix through a screen and pick out as many roots and grass rhizomes as I could.

I bought a heavier, more expensive, but water permeable weed barrier with a 20 yr guarantee with hopes that it will work better. The fine print on the guarantee indicated that this thicker weed barrier may not be effective against all types of aggressive roots and some types of grass. I hope it works better! I am amazed that the wimpy grass we have here that won't grow well on our sandy soils can actually grow through the weed barrier of my SFGs.

I will be adding more boxes this year. If the grass grows through again I will be discouraged. Wish me luck!
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl Tue 27 Apr 2010 - 21:13

This is a wonderful topic! Thanks for all the great insight!
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post  chexmix Wed 28 Apr 2010 - 11:33

bullfrogbabe wrote:I will be adding more boxes this year. If the grass grows through again I will be discouraged. Wish me luck!

Don't be discouraged. The reason the grass is loving it is because everytime you water some of the fertilizer (compost) is going to the ground and feeding the grass. If you can put some card board between the grass and weed barrier. That will slow it down even more.
chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck Wed 28 Apr 2010 - 12:51

bullfrogbabe wrote: I am amazed that the wimpy grass we have here that won't grow well on our sandy soils can actually grow through the weed barrier of my SFGs.

I will be adding more boxes this year. If the grass grows through again I will be discouraged. Wish me luck!

Like Christine says, since that grass is used to getting by on poor, sandy soil, the Mel's Mix must taste like Thanksgiving!

I would have used Mel's Mix to start. I didn't find the website or the new book until after I set up my beds. I'm using a good mix, but not a great mix. It's light and fluffy, but just didn't have enough nutrients. The first 2 boxes I set up are just now getting there, the third has a ways to go. It'll get there, I MUST learn patience, NOW! If you could start over- what would you do differently? Icon_smile

One thing I really like that I did, is I made my boxes taller. I was going to be having an abdominal procedure done and knew I wouldn't be able to be getting up and down, squatting down, etc, so I made my boxes with cinder block stacked 2 high (16 inches) and put capper blocks in 2 spots on each 8' long side for seats. So now, they are comfy seated height, I can sit and lean to weed/tend the beds. I will love that forever.

Sharon
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? Empty Wow, you guys are giving me a lot of ideas!

Post  LindainWarwickNY Wed 28 Apr 2010 - 13:40

First of all, I'm not sure I like the idea of bending down a lot. I'm 58 years old, 59 in October. Maybe I should make my beds with a plywood bottom with drainage holes and elevate them. I like your ideas of doing it in an attractive way! It would be easier to tend to them and maybe make it a little harder for the groundhog or woodchuck, whatever you call it to get to them. I have a tall wire fence all around my garden area, but the woodchuck burrowed right into the middle of it! So, I am liking the idea of putting the boxes up higher to begin with and try to make it look lovely while I am at it. Thanks for the tips and the heads up before I start making my boxes!
LindainWarwickNY

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? Empty Speaking of grass and trees that invade your boxes...

Post  LindainWarwickNY Wed 28 Apr 2010 - 13:47

that may be a good reason to put a plywood bottom on them. I have the same problem in my old garden spot. We have locust trees here whose blossoms blow all over the place in the wind. You end up having to go out and pull all of those baby trees out of the garden. I had hubby saw down the tree that was leaning directly over my garden spot, but my children don't want me to get too saw happy and get rid of them all. They like the shade for their cars. Wait until they bloom again this year and they are reminded of all the locust blossums on their cars! Hee hee! Maybe they won't be so crazy about the locust anymore and I can have hubby go out with his saw again. Hey, I can always plant other trees! If you could start over- what would you do differently? Icon_smile
LindainWarwickNY

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? Empty changes

Post  aspiegardner Thu 29 Apr 2010 - 3:47

My daughter started this last year at 13 and loves her sfg. However I really need to do a nice fence around the garden area.

I'd like to do a nice pathway design since its just icky weeds where the boxes aren't and I don't really want to do grass out there. Just not sure what yet.

The boxes sit south to north and I'm just not sure if that is right or not, need to figure it out LOL.

I would also build some more boxes, figure out something for shade out there and a better watering system.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  cherriesjubilee Thu 29 Apr 2010 - 10:58

What I'd do differently:

1. Get more transplants. They've worked out pretty well.

2. Be careful with seed storage.

3. Make every box a table-top box.

4. Plant more varieties of lettuce.

5. Make my own compost, if I could (just isn't going to happen!)

6. In general, plant more of everything.
cherriesjubilee
cherriesjubilee

Female Posts : 48

http://sherry-a-casa.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 Thu 29 Apr 2010 - 12:06

cherriesjubilee wrote:What I'd do differently:

1. Get more transplants. They've worked out pretty well.

2. Be careful with seed storage.

3. Make every box a table-top box.

4. Plant more varieties of lettuce.

5. Make my own compost, if I could (just isn't going to happen!)

6. In general, plant more of everything.

On the seed storage, what where you doing wrong? I'm planning on saving most of my seed packets and using them again next year.

I've only been doing the SFG for less than 2 months so there isn't a ton I've learned yet that I'd change but the one thing I would do over is start small with just a few boxes and keep adding a couple each year. I started off with 14 - 4x4 boxes, 2 - 3x4 boxes and 1 - 2x4 box and it was a ton of work and expensive to build boxes, make the Mel's mix and fill the boxes. It kind of dampered some of the advantages of square foot gardening (less work than row).

Oh and another thing I might change is to actually follow the book and not try to do my own transplants from seeds until I'm an experienced gardner. Trying to build and fill 17 boxes, plant and then trying to grow my own transplants has been a little overwhelming at times.
titans01

Male Posts : 122

http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  momstitch Thu 29 Apr 2010 - 12:43

I have raised bed gardens that I have converted into SFG. If I had it to do over, I would have had SFG blocks constructed instead, would have been so much easier to get to some of the squares. But, I 've got to work with what I have...
Martha
momstitch

Back to top Go down

Post  sbeach Thu 29 Apr 2010 - 13:20

I've barely started, so I don't know about starting over; however, if I had learned about square foot gardening earlier I would have:

1. Pulled up a patch of the sod the builder installed before the roots had time to take so it wouldn't be such a struggle to dig it up which we had to do to level the ground.

2. Asked the contractor who built our deck if we could have the leftover wood scraps for building our boxes, and maybe we could have had him bring in additional gravel (like he used under the deck) to use on the paths around the SFG boxes.

3. Used Mel's mix in our front garden. We just bought bags of 'black earth', which is better than the dirt that was there, but probably not any cheaper.

4. Considered selecting a bigger lot when we were first shopping for this house, so there would be more room for expansion.

We do love our house and the lot we built it on, but last month the builder put up a giant 3 storey house in the lot behind us, and it casts a huge shadow across our SFG after dinner. Good thing we built a bungalow so the garden gets some morning sun! We should still get 8+hours of sun. I hope that's enough for tomatoes, which is the main reason we started a garden.

I don't think I've had a really good tomato since I moved out of Toronto, which, despite being a big city, has great garden soil. My parents and grandparents grew lots of vegetables there, including huge flavourful tomatoes.

I'm trying Mortgage Lifters this year.

Someone mentioned they wish they knew which things needed trellises before planting and which needed them after planting. Would you care to share what you've learned? If you could start over- what would you do differently? Icon_smile

Sharon
sbeach

Female Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? Empty In reply to Titans01

Post  cherriesjubilee Thu 29 Apr 2010 - 14:35

Well, seeds should really be stored in packets in glass jars in the refrigerator when your season ends.

I didn't do it right, and re-using some of the seeds from the previous year, the germination rate wasn't as good. If you could start over- what would you do differently? Icon_sad
cherriesjubilee
cherriesjubilee

Female Posts : 48

http://sherry-a-casa.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next