Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert Toplef10Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert I22gcj10Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert Toplef10Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert I22gcj10Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert

5 posters

Go down

Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert Empty Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert

Post  Silvicen 9/9/2012, 3:28 am

Hello everybody,

Due to the lack of vegatation in the local desert any and all attempts at gardening are eagerly sought out by local rabbits and squirrels.

It seems that SFG with 1/4" hardware cloth on the bottom and the top is going to be necessary to keep them out.

Any ideas as far as the top cage portion would be greatly appreciated. Sometimes we get 60 mph + wind gust. I was thinking about using half inch poultry netting on a 2" x 2" frame over a 4' x 4' box.

I am debating how deep to make the sides of the upper cage. Somewhere between 12" to 30". Also what would be most comfortable access to tend the garden, top or side access, or are both needed?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Silvicen
Silvicen

Back to top Go down

Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert Empty Re: Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert

Post  Chopper 9/9/2012, 3:37 am

One idea is to do table tops. Even with the heat I think you could make it work.

Fencing each box is not ideal but I know people do it. Try bending over your box and see how high you could get away with. If you can't reach the center squares then that is too high. And I know with the slim pickings out there a garden must look pretty tempting to the locals.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert Empty Re: Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert

Post  Silvicen 9/9/2012, 4:21 am

Exactly, it is not a matter of if they will eat my garden. I tried gardening a few years back when I moved out here. It was a rude awakening to the garden pest that occupy my yard. After mustering the courage to try again I know that having a safe from teeth growing area is going to be essential.
Silvicen
Silvicen

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 9/9/2012, 11:15 am

Have you thought about fencing in an area instead of individual fences? I know it will be more expensive, but it might be easier to tend the garden since all you have to do is open a single gate. Burying any fencing ~2' deep should prevent rabbits. Having the fences close together seems to deter deer from jumping into it(they don't like multiple jumps close together apparently). T-posts and cattle panels might be a cheaper(and uglier) option than regular fencing, plus you could also use the fencing for a trellis if you don't mind the outside leaves being nibbled.

I believe somebody has pics of a really nice setup, with a fenced roof also. I think it was painted a light blue or turquoise.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1239-fencing-in-a-garden
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t12872-fencing

Okay, I lied about it being a blueish color...
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/Showcase-of-Gardens/102-1846-pic_1910.htm

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvicen 9/9/2012, 5:48 pm

Well I was thinking of using portions of my chicken coop runs and the wire is buried but it is 1" poultry netting and doesn't stop squirrels. I am sure burying the wire would stop bunnies and squirrels but I don't know how I am going to talk the boys into digging through the rock to bury the wire again. I heard cussing and learned new ways of combining cuss words while they were bending shovels and post hole diggers. I was also planning on placing it up near the front of the house instead of out back where the chickens are. My main reason for wanting it up front is to take advantage of my goose poo water. I also have a large chilean mesquite tree up front that provides lovely filtered light.
Silvicen
Silvicen

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/9/2012, 8:58 pm

How about this. Use hardware cloth to line the entire fenced in area plus for the lower foot or two of the fencing? Do NOT try to dig. I feel your pain there and it is not worth it if it can be done any other way.

Also wondering if it would be worth having a squirrel garden outside of and away from the regular garden. One throw away SFG so they think they are getting away with something. Wouldn't even have to tend it. Just throw extra seeds in and let them have at it. Anything they miss is yours. Smile
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/9/2012, 9:15 pm

Chopper wrote:
Also wondering if it would be worth having a squirrel garden outside of and away from the regular garden. One throw away SFG so they think they are getting away with something. Wouldn't even have to tend it. Just throw extra seeds in and let them have at it. Anything they miss is yours. Smile
I was thinking this as well.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Combat Gardening in the Mohave Desert WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/10/2012, 6:29 am

Have alook at netting enclosures for soft fruit make them big enough to stand in plus about another foot high so you can encliose the whole beds arwa plus the walkways .
Then weigh up the cost of using 1 " galv threaded water pipe with elbows & " T",ees to make the cage frame. Them run your 1/2 " chicken wire over it

You can easily join chicken wire by butting the two edges togehter and slipping a four inch nail in through one hole catching the base wire of the other part and twisting it over itself acouple of times ( sounds difficult but so easy to do ) m,eke the twists every four or five inches .

Bury at least a foot of wire below the ground to stop the diggers getting in .
Other ways of joining chicken wire are pig ring type "C" clips , "j" shaped wire clips , wire ties with a loop at each end and band cable " clips " ties .. I don't put fait in plastic ties for they get brittle in strinong sunlight .
You can also make simple loops of glavanised 1/8 th " garden wire and double them through the hokes and use a big nail to twist them up , then snip off the excess and bend any sharp tag in.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down