Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Zucchini discovery Toplef10Zucchini discovery 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Zucchini discovery I22gcj10Zucchini discovery 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Zucchini discovery Toplef10Zucchini discovery 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Zucchini discovery I22gcj10Zucchini discovery 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Zucchini discovery

+4
CapeCoddess
littlejo
cheyannarach
nycquilter
8 posters

Go down

Zucchini discovery Empty Zucchini discovery

Post  nycquilter 9/5/2012, 8:58 pm

You may all already have realized this--at times, I'm a tad slow. We sliced, breaded and fried zucchini slices last week and they were so wet the breading didn't really stick. Today, I sliced it, let it dry for a few hours, floured then egged then breaded and fried it and it worked wonderfully! I wish I had thought of this when I breaded and fried two HUGE batches last week and the week before. Ah well. Better late than never.

Laurie
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Zucchini discovery Empty Re: Zucchini discovery

Post  cheyannarach 9/5/2012, 9:37 pm

Next you should try zucchini chips, yum yum! Thanks for sharing!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 9/5/2012, 10:59 pm

I always peel mine and slice before starting to cook, dip in egg , then bread with Martha White buttermilk cornbread mix(dry) then fry, or freeze single layer, til frozen. Do you peel yours? Mine does not seem wet, maybe it's the breading, it has flour in it.

You ought to try sliced zucchini grilled, just some pam to keep it from sticking, very good!

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 9/6/2012, 7:38 am

Jo, this year, I had 15 zucchini plants! Something ate the original six I grew from seed and my DH purchased another six. However, the originals re-grew. Plus there were volunteers from my compost that I saved three and planted. No, I'm not totally nuts; we love the flowers and the more plants there are, the more flowers there are. We didn't weigh the zucchini we harvested but it's probably close to 200 pounds! I think there is not a way to prep zucchini that I haven't tried! I love it grilled, sometimes we prep it with only olive oil, salt and pepper. Other times, we sprinkle it with Emeril's essence.

nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 9/6/2012, 9:06 am

More power to ya'll! I cannot imagine all those plants!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/6/2012, 10:59 am

Wow that's awesome, what a harvest of zucchini this year! I hope someday I will have harvests like that! One of my new found ways to eat zukes are grilled with potatoes, turnips, and kohlrabi seasoned with fresh dill, yum yum. I do par cook them first though.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/6/2012, 12:15 pm

15 plants??? Shocked I would love to see a photo of all those zucchini plants, NYC. Is that possible?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 9/9/2012, 7:04 am

CapeCoddess wrote:15 plants??? Shocked I would love to see a photo of all those zucchini plants, NYC. Is that possible?

CC

CC, I am trying. I am not the photographer or computer person in my family--a technoincompetent is a better description. I don't have the zucchini or gourds or pumpkins planted in my SFG. The deer, for the most part, leave them alone. I have one bed with 6 and 3 pumpkins. I also have three planted in the back of a flower bed. Then, another one is near the zucc bed. The others are in an empty bed close to the SFG.

Laurie
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  SandyP 9/10/2012, 12:58 pm

To nycquilter
I wasn't sure what you meant by you like the blooms--if you just liked to see them or eat them. Squash blossoms are edible and great fried. You can use the male blossoms and if you don't use all of them, the female blossoms will still produce squash. I love doing things with edible flowers and seeing and hearing the reactions of people.
SandyP
SandyP

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 9/10/2012, 1:06 pm

Sandy, I meant eat them. Never occurred to me to state it overtly. Doesn't everyone read my intentions?? Cool

I've stuffed them with many things, fried them after breading, fried them after dipping in beer batter. I've used them in a risotto. I've sauteed them plain! I also have used the male flowers of pumpkin and other winter squashes.
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/10/2012, 5:21 pm

Just had squash blossom soup for the first time. YUM!!!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/10/2012, 5:47 pm

oooh, ooooh, Goosegirl, please, please give us the recipe for squash blossom soup! We're still getting some blossoms, and we hate to waste them. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/10/2012, 5:58 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:oooh, ooooh, Goosegirl, please, please give us the recipe for squash blossom soup! We're still getting some blossoms, and we hate to waste them. Nonna

I will see if I can get it! A friend made it for a congregation lunch with squash and blossoms out of her garden. It was divine!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/10/2012, 6:05 pm

We've mostly had squash blossoms stuffed with a soft seasoned cheese, then rolled in an egg wash and Panko crumbs, then fried. The recipe I used said to leave about 5 inches of stem, so I did. Result when I laid them out on the paper towels looked very like a row of crispy fried mice, tails sticking out behind them. PapaVino since then frequently asks if we're going to have more "fried mice." Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/10/2012, 6:07 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:We've mostly had squash blossoms stuffed with a soft seasoned cheese, then rolled in an egg wash and Panko crumbs, then fried. The recipe I used said to leave about 5 inches of stem, so I did. Result when I laid them out on the paper towels looked very like a row of crispy fried mice, tails sticking out behind them. PapaVino since then frequently asks if we're going to have more "fried mice." Nonna

rofl rofl rofl
I have put in the request for the soup recipe.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/10/2012, 6:09 pm

Thanks, Goosegirl, I'll watch for it. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/11/2012, 11:04 pm

Nonna - Here it is. It was FABULOUS!!! okay hungry hyper

GG

GOLDEN SQUASH BLOSSOM CREMA

Ingredients:
1-1/2 Tbs. butter
1 large white onion, chopped into
1/4-in. dice
3 cups good chicken broth
1 small boiling potato, peeled and roughly chopped
25 large, fresh squash blossoms (3-in. to 4-in. male blossoms)
2 poblano chiles
1 cup milk
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1?4-in. pieces
Kernels from 1 large ear of corn
1/2 cup heavy cream or crème fraÎche
1-1/2 tsp. salt
*Epazote or parsley for garnish
6 servings

In a medium (4-qt.) soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly brown, about 5 min. Scoop out half of the onion and set aside. Add the broth and potato, partially cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 min.

While the broth is simmering, prepare the squash blossoms. Peel off the sepals that come out from the base of the blossoms. Break off the stems. Remove the stamen in the center of each flower and discard. Cut the blossoms crosswise into 1⁄4-in. strips, including the bulbous base.

Add half the blossoms to the broth and simmer 3 min. In a food processor or in batches in a blender, purée the mixture and return it to the pot.

Roast the chiles directly over a gas flame, or on a medium-hot gas grill, or 4 in. below a very hot broiler. Turn occasionally until blistered and blackened on all sides, 4 to 6 min. for the flame or grill, about 10 min. for the broiler. Cover with a kitchen towel and let stand about 5 min. Peel off the charred skin, cut out the seed pod, then quickly rinse to remove straggling bits of skin and seeds. Cut into 1⁄4-in. dice.

Add the chiles to the soup along with the milk and reserved onion; bring to a simmer and cook for 10 min. Add the zucchini and corn, simmer a couple of minutes, then add the remaining squash blossoms. Simmer a couple of minutes longer (the strips of blossom will soften into deep-golden “streamers”). Remove from heat, stir in the cream, taste, and season with salt. Serve in warm bowls garnished with epazote or parsley.

*Epazote (Chenopodium ambrosioides) is a prolific annual that hardly needs encouragement in the garden. It has an assertive pungency well suited for pairing with beans. Epazote is considered—especially in parts of the world where bean consumption is low—to be an antiflatulent. North of the border, epazote is found less in food but often sprouting as a “weed” in the garden. Epazote lends authenticity to Mexican dishes. If it’s not growing in your garden, look for it in Mexican markets. And don’t worry if it’s slightly wilted; it’ll still do its job.

Recipe by Rick Bayless
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/12/2012, 10:32 am

Wow, Goosegirl, that's not just a recipe, it's a whole meal! Can't wait to try it. Will start scavaging the blossoms this morning. Think I have just about everything else. (my epazote, however, is the dried variety) Looks like a big pot of soup, have you ever frozen some?
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/12/2012, 9:02 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Wow, Goosegirl, that's not just a recipe, it's a whole meal! Can't wait to try it. Will start scavaging the blossoms this morning. Think I have just about everything else. (my epazote, however, is the dried variety) Looks like a big pot of soup, have you ever frozen some?

There wasn't enough left to freeze, and my friend made a triple batch! She sent me a whole list of squash recipes she collected to try from her garden this year. There was even one for stuffed & battered blossoms (Fried Mice! tongue )

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/12/2012, 9:05 pm

My 9-year-old twin grandkids are totally intrigued and repelled at the picture of the "fried mice" I showed them. But they had no difficulty understanding that PapaVino LIKED them! Carson muttered, "yeah, he eats anything."
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/13/2012, 6:22 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:My 9-year-old twin grandkids are totally intrigued and repelled at the picture of the "fried mice" I showed them. But they had no difficulty understanding that PapaVino LIKED them! Carson muttered, "yeah, he eats anything."

rofl rofl rofl
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 9/14/2012, 10:28 pm

Well, I'm quite envious reading all these posts about bumper zucchini crops! I have tried 3 years running and have eaten a total of ONE zucchini Mad Either powdery mildew or grasshoppers the size of small rats or raccoons or something destroys my plants!! I just planted two squares of zuke and yellow squash which were growing beautifully and when I went out......they had been reduced to some sticks poking out of the MM. Pretty sure it's squirrels. I planted a surinam cherry plant in the backyard and they dug it up three times! There's one that hangs on my screen porch and I could swear he's laughing at me.....
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/14/2012, 11:39 pm

ksbmom, I had some success with raiding chipmunks by sprinkling cayenne pepper around the area they were digging into. Yes, you have to reapply it after a rain, but the resident 'munks soon learned to avoid the veggies that bit back. A restaurant supply house can sell you large containers of hot pepper at a very reasonable price.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 9/15/2012, 10:13 am

Thanks for the cayenne pepper tip Nonna.PappaVino! My hubby grows hot peppers and makes his own cayenne - just opening the jar makes me cough and sputter! I'll bet it would do the same to those little marauders! What a Face
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/15/2012, 10:34 pm

Good luck! Somewhere is written that a deterent for aphids can be made from cayenne pepper flour and garlic juice, though I've not tried it. Perhaps others on the Forum have? I have had success using hot pepper and garlic in a flower bed in front of the house to keep deer from noshing on tulips in spring. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down