Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do YOU preserve zucchini Toplef10How do YOU preserve zucchini 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do YOU preserve zucchini I22gcj10How do YOU preserve zucchini 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do YOU preserve zucchini Toplef10How do YOU preserve zucchini 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do YOU preserve zucchini I22gcj10How do YOU preserve zucchini 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How do YOU preserve zucchini

+10
Turan
nycquilter
floyd1440
cheyannarach
camprn
Nonna.PapaVino
RoOsTeR
llama momma
rowena___.
GWN
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How do YOU preserve zucchini Empty How do YOU preserve zucchini

Post  GWN 8/24/2012, 4:54 pm

I know it is a very common malady, but I am curious as to other peoples "cure" for acute zucchini-itis....
What I have done in the past is to grate it up and freeze it in bags like that and then use for baking in the winter muffins and cakes.
I always learn SOO much here when other people say what they do.

So Is there a cure for the summertime ?? greens? cyclops
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

How do YOU preserve zucchini Empty Re: How do YOU preserve zucchini

Post  rowena___. 8/24/2012, 5:16 pm

i grate and freeze, i also slice and freeze, but my favorite is sliced and dehydrated--we eat zucchini chips straight out of the jar, just like potato chips. my child will eat them for a whole meal if i don't stop her. you can season them first if you like. don't oil them, or they'll go rancid.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/24/2012, 5:40 pm

wow, it is somehow reassuring that someone else grates and freezes
I am all for trying dehydrating as well, I might just give it a try tonite
thanks Rowena
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/24/2012, 5:53 pm

I cut zucchini this morning and just not in the mood to use it so these are great tips, thanks! I will dehydrate tonight, any tips on best seasoning for it?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/24/2012, 6:00 pm

I just remembered another favourite of mine for zucchini
zucchini stuffed with potatoes and peas..... zucchini stuffed
From Janet who is off to the garden to get some potatoes and peas tongue
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/24/2012, 6:34 pm

Gwn, here's a recipe for zucchini cakes that a buddy of mine just referred me to the other day. I guess it's not really preserving but something else you could use the zucchini for. I plan on making some this weekend...
http://www.relish.com/recipes/zucchini-cakes/

Also, here is a pickle recipe for zucchini from the USDA canning guide which is sticky'd in our canning section.
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE%206%20Home%20Can.pdf

Go down about 3/4 of the page and it's PICKLED BREAD-AND-BUTTER ZUCCHINI. I have been using that recipe for my patty pan squash and so far the pickles have been a big hit around here.

How do YOU preserve zucchini Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/24/2012, 7:22 pm

thanks rooster
Those look great, and here I thought you meant a zucchini chocolate cake.
I wonder if you could use frozen grated zucchini for that.
Either way it would be delicious every night for the next month.

THANKS
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 8/24/2012, 9:19 pm

llama momma wrote:I cut zucchini this morning and just not in the mood to use it so these are great tips, thanks! I will dehydrate tonight, any tips on best seasoning for it?

generally i leave it unseasoned, because sometimes i want to use it in a casserole or soup, but if i know i'm going to set it aside for eating as is, i will sometimes season with ranch dressing mix, or with things like garlic salt or old bay. there is really no rule, it just depends on what your family likes.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

How do YOU preserve zucchini Empty How do you preserve zucchini

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/24/2012, 9:56 pm

I don't since discovering tromboncino, or zucchetti squash. Taste is very similar to regular zucchini, but I don't have to deal with the seeds-all-along-the-middle problem because tromboncinos concentrate their seeds in the blossom end only. That means the shaft of the squash is seedless, and less likely to become mush when cooked. Tromboncinos make excellent "zucchini" bread after shredding and using fresh, or freezing for later use. Shredded, it can be turned into delicious garlicky latkes to serve with a spicy salsa as an appetizer. Cut into coins and sauted with onion, garlic and a touch of tomato paste and basil, it's a delicious, easy side dish. Any recipe calling for zucchini works with tomboncino but needs less work 'cause you're not cutting out the pesky seeds. And, if you let one go too long before picking, it turns into a winter squash similar to, but longer than, a butternut. nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/24/2012, 10:03 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:I don't since discovering tromboncino, or zucchetti squash. Taste is very similar to regular zucchini, but I don't have to deal with the seeds-all-along-the-middle problem because tromboncinos concentrate their seeds in the blossom end only. That means the shaft of the squash is seedless, and less likely to become mush when cooked. Tromboncinos make excellent "zucchini" bread after shredding and using fresh, or freezing for later use. Shredded, it can be turned into delicious garlicky latkes to serve with a spicy salsa as an appetizer. Cut into coins and sauted with onion, garlic and a touch of tomato paste and basil, it's a delicious, easy side dish. Any recipe calling for zucchini works with tomboncino but needs less work 'cause you're not cutting out the pesky seeds. And, if you let one go too long before picking, it turns into a winter squash similar to, but longer than, a butternut. nonna

Sounds interesting! I might have to give this a try next year. Thanks nonna Wink

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/24/2012, 10:08 pm

RoOsTeR, here's a picture from Territorial Seeds of the squash: http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1100/400
Looking at the picture, you can see why some of the fruits cause ribald comments from my adult sons, and giggles from the grandkids. But they are tasty...and they freeze better than zucchini.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/24/2012, 10:09 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:
Nonna.PapaVino wrote:I don't since discovering tromboncino, or zucchetti squash. Taste is very similar to regular zucchini, but I don't have to deal with the seeds-all-along-the-middle problem because tromboncinos concentrate their seeds in the blossom end only. That means the shaft of the squash is seedless, and less likely to become mush when cooked. Tromboncinos make excellent "zucchini" bread after shredding and using fresh, or freezing for later use. Shredded, it can be turned into delicious garlicky latkes to serve with a spicy salsa as an appetizer. Cut into coins and sauted with onion, garlic and a touch of tomato paste and basil, it's a delicious, easy side dish. Any recipe calling for zucchini works with tomboncino but needs less work 'cause you're not cutting out the pesky seeds. And, if you let one go too long before picking, it turns into a winter squash similar to, but longer than, a butternut. nonna

Sounds interesting! I might have to give this a try next year. Thanks nonna Wink
I meant to plant some of those this season, but never got around to actually finding some seeds. I too would like to plant it next year.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

How do YOU preserve zucchini WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/24/2012, 10:15 pm

camprn, a warning from my mom (she's 90 and still gardening), she couldn't keep up with the fruits from the single plant I took to her early this spring, and last week she yanked it out saying she was sick of eating that zucchini thing! She doesn't can and freeze like she did when Dad was alive, so I fully understand her removing it. I do freeze it, especially shredded because it makes such an easy-to-use ingredient for zucchini bread, muffins and chocolate-zucchini cake; made into latkes as a side dish, used as an ingredient in a Spanish torta, and even filling for omelets. You'll like it. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/24/2012, 10:26 pm

rowena___. wrote:
llama momma wrote:I cut zucchini this morning and just not in the mood to use it so these are great tips, thanks! I will dehydrate tonight, any tips on best seasoning for it?

generally i leave it unseasoned, because sometimes i want to use it in a casserole or soup, but if i know i'm going to set it aside for eating as is, i will sometimes season with ranch dressing mix, or with things like garlic salt or old bay. there is really no rule, it just depends on what your family likes.

Thanks!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/25/2012, 3:20 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:RoOsTeR, here's a picture from Territorial Seeds of the squash: http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1100/400
Looking at the picture, you can see why some of the fruits cause ribald comments from my adult sons, and giggles from the grandkids. But they are tasty...and they freeze better than zucchini.

LLOLOOLLOOLLOLOLOOLLLOOLOLOL! I have been told that if it wasn't for the gutter my head wouldn't have a home.....
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/25/2012, 7:12 am

My wife makes and excellent zucchetti lasagna but it is always a little wet so she layes the sliced zucchetti on paper towels to dry them out so is the tromboncinos better suited?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 8/25/2012, 11:44 am

this year, I'm trying--in addition to grated and frozen--slicing about 1/4-1/2" and stringing them up to dry in the basement and also am trying lacto-fermentation (grating, layering with a small amt of salt in 1/2 gal jar). I also sliced, breaded and fried some to freeze, much like I do eggplant (and chicken and pork cutlets!).
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/25/2012, 11:47 am

I'm trying--in addition to grated and frozen--slicing about 1/4-1/2" and stringing them up to dry in the basement and also am trying lacto-fermentation (grating, layering with a small amt of salt in 1/2 gal jar). I also sliced, breaded and fried some to freeze, much like I do eggplant (and chicken and pork cutlets!).
Interesting options thank you
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 8/25/2012, 12:03 pm

oh, yeah, just remembered another thing I've been doing--freeze zucchini soup. It was a really easy recipe. Basically you saute garlic and onions in olive oil, add chopped zucchini, season to taste, saute til soft, then add water, bring to a boil, let simmer. Add some choppe basil and blend it. I use a stick blender instead of dirtying the blender or food processor. It's a simple but good recipe that can be served hot or chilled. I also serve it with a dollop of plain yogurt.
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/25/2012, 12:07 pm

floyd1440 wrote:
My wife makes and excellent zucchetti lasagna but it is always a little wet so she layes the sliced zucchetti on paper towels to dry them out so is the tromboncinos better suited?

My thoughts also.... I wonder if it would be better for making zucchini pasta.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/25/2012, 12:10 pm

Rowena, What a great idea...using ranch dressing mix to season summer squash! I'd not thought of that, but you can be assured it's gonna be used at the next squash picking. Thank you. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/25/2012, 12:17 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:
RoOsTeR, here's a picture from Territorial Seeds of the squash: http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1100/400

LLOLOOLLOOLLOLOLOOLLLOOLOLOL! I have been told that if it wasn't for the gutter my head wouldn't have a home.....

Nonni, you have such a way with words.... BUT I have gotta get me some of them.
The zucchini I have been growing has been the italian ones the skins are pale green and they seem to be nice and soft even when the become HUGE.
HmmmI will have to find a picture (if it wasnt for the gutter my head wouldnt have a home) now that is very funny funny post
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

How do YOU preserve zucchini Empty growing zucchini up a rebar

Post  GWN 8/25/2012, 12:42 pm

Someone posted a video here a few months ago about growing zucchini up, vertifal growing instead of all ofver the place..... sprall growing.
So I have tried it this year, it is just very hard to get a good picture of it, you have to look closely for the main stalk which is darker in colour and I have cut off all the leaves as I removed the fruits. I found that many more zucchini were getting successfully pollinated, since the flowers were easier to find
How do YOU preserve zucchini Dsc_0226
These pictures were just after another pruning and tying the stalk to the rebar so the l eaves are facing down, they do actually turn upwards. It is interesting how few leaves they actually need, in fact I guess each fruit only needs one leavf.How do YOU preserve zucchini Dsc_0227
I will try to get better pictures later in the year
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 8/25/2012, 1:13 pm

GWN wrote:
Nonna.PapaVino wrote:

The zucchini I have been growing has been the italian ones the skins are pale green and they seem to be nice and soft even when the become HUGE.
HmmmI will have to find a picture (if it wasnt for the gutter my head wouldnt have a home) now that is very funny How do YOU preserve zucchini 641297

Fot those thinking of growing these beware they are also called Rampicante for a reason. It is a very long strong vining squash and very prolific.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4223-contest-guess-total-vine-length-of-my-rampicante-squash

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2011/09/22/squashland/
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/25/2012, 1:19 pm

Lindacol wrote:
GWN wrote:
Nonna.PapaVino wrote:

HmmmI will have to find a picture (if it wasnt for the gutter my head wouldnt have a home) now that is very funny How do YOU preserve zucchini 641297

Fot those thinking of growing these beware they are also called Rampicante for a reason. It is a very long strong vining squash and very prolific.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4223-contest-guess-total-vine-length-of-my-rampicante-squash

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2011/09/22/squashland/

Lol, well that 100% seals the deal! I will for sure be growing these
tromboncino squash next year!!
How do YOU preserve zucchini Squashland4

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content