Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
reading the charts Toplef10reading the charts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

reading the charts I22gcj10reading the charts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
reading the charts Toplef10reading the charts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

reading the charts I22gcj10reading the charts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

reading the charts

5 posters

Go down

reading the charts Empty reading the charts

Post  belladonnamini 5/9/2012, 10:05 am

I've always had problems reading charts and the planting guide charts showing when to plant and if it should be seed or transplant is no difference could someone help me understand them
belladonnamini
belladonnamini

Back to top Go down

reading the charts Empty Re: reading the charts

Post  brenda g 5/9/2012, 10:23 am

belladonnamini wrote:I've always had problems reading charts and the planting guide charts showing when to plant and if it should be seed or transplant is no difference could someone help me understand them

:scratch: I'm not sure what type of charts you are referring to.... seed packets will tell you when to plant in your zone, and how/when to start them indoors. The ANSFG book gives a LOT of info on different plants as far as which should be started indoors or out, and how to start them. But a lot of that also depends on your zone.

A GREAT tool I found is on growveg.com (hope this link works, not sure I can do links yet). This website has a free trial for planning your garden, and the first thing you will do once signed up is input your zipcode; then a list of plants specific to your zone will populate and from here you have a couple options: click on the plants you are interested in to learn how and when to plant, OR, if you want to, plan your garden as you would like then it will create a chart for you showing how much of each plant you chose, when to plant them in the garden (again, reading the plant info should tell you whether you need to start seed indoors or sow seeds directly in your garden), and when to harvest them - all for your zone.

Again, without knowing what you're looking at I'm not sure this is what you needed but I hope it helps! Smile
brenda g
brenda g

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/9/2012, 2:08 pm

First of all, reading the charts 396615

If you go to the KY Cooperative Extension website, then use their search box to search for "vegetable planting calendar" you should be able to find a document containing a table that lists vegetables in alphabetical order. The charts I've seen for different states usually give you the months they suggest planting different vegetables, and it usually states whether you want to plant seeds or do transplants during that period.

Then look at your seed packets to see whether it's a vegetable that can be started inside, or if it has to be sown directly into the garden. Most things can be grown either way, and the length of your growing season will determine whether you should start seeds indoors or have the time to allow them to grow from seed to harvest outdoors. All seed packets will give you an approximation of days to harvest. That's how long it takes to grow something from seed. Make sure you choose vegetables that will produce a harvest within the length of your growing season. Some things have a shorter growing season than others, even within a category (like squash).

Hope that helps!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/9/2012, 6:10 pm

belladonnamini wrote:I've always had problems reading charts and the planting guide charts showing when to plant and if it should be seed or transplant is no difference could someone help me understand them

Being nosey and hoping to help you... Are you dyslexic or colour blind ?

For I have a colour chart device from The Royal Horticultural Society called their "Veg planner " it is downloadable for free .. I found the colours far easier to follow than trying to read numbers or black blobs on white paper.

All I have to do is line up a clear plastic ruler with the part of each month Im lookingh at and see what needs doing etc. i 'd get lost if I tried to follow things with just my eyes .

I've ended up using this idea to make my own A4 paper work/ record sheets that shows what I've done and when it should be ready for harvesting . I chose the colours & shades that stand out well for me , not anyone else..
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

reading the charts Empty Charts in the SFG book

Post  belladonnamini 5/23/2012, 4:06 pm

The charts im looking at are the ones in the Newest version of SFG, they have me confused if some one has the book and can talk to me about it i will give out my e-mail or my skype.
belladonnamini
belladonnamini

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/24/2012, 1:04 pm

Hey folks, let's try to keep in mind here that we are on the Official Square Foot Gardening Forum, and that if a member posts a question about something we should by default be referring to the All New Square Foot Gardening book that this forum supports. So "reading the charts" means the charts in the book, unless specifed otherwise. Simple as that!

Of course, everyone still offered some great advice! So many friendly folks around here that you're bound to get the help you need. Plantoid, excellent point on dsylexia or color-blindness affecting the readability, and it was kind of you to point out some methods you've developed for overcoming those difficulties.

belladonnamini, I'm still in my first year of gardening but I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on how to read the charts. I'm going to send you a PM and I'll see if I can help you!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down