Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Toplef10The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  I22gcj10The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Toplef10The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  I22gcj10The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

+4
boffer
sanderson
Windmere
yolos
8 posters

Go down

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Empty The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 3/30/2015, 10:55 am

I wanted to thank everyone who gave me better ideas of covering my greens for the Spring. I found the suggestion to use tulle was great, but I decided to go with No See Um mosquito fabric from Joann Fabric. I think this was Boffer or Jimmy Lee idea. The fabric is much more durable and will last more than one season from the sun's UV rays. 
I would like to thank the SFG ladies for the idea of getting a 50% coupon off Joann's fabric website. It save me so much money. 
These pictures are two weeks old. I have taken out those winter support bars for the frost blanket.. I will do a video later.

Thank everyone again. 

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Img_1012

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Img_1013
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Empty Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  yolos 3/30/2015, 1:50 pm

I looked on Jo-Ann website for "No See Um Mosquito Netting" and this was all I could find.  Is this what you used. It is 72" wide.
http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting-white/10173292.html
PS - 50% off sale until Arpil 4
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Empty Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 3/30/2015, 4:12 pm

yolos wrote:I looked on Jo-Ann website for "No See Um Mosquito Netting" and this was all I could find.  Is this what you used. It is 72" wide.
PS - 50% off sale until Arpil 4
Yes, I had one of the ladies at the store sew 2 of them to gather for me at her home. they were 4 yrs long(12 ft) x's 72" wide(6ft)=12ft x 12 ft square. I added 1/2" pvc pipe 5 ft long on two sides for weight. I filled the pipes with small rocks and cap each end off. the other 2 sides I used  two 2 1/2 ft long 1/2 pvc pipe. this allowed me to pulled the fabric over the EMT pipes and collapse it down on the other side. I switching to 1" pvc with rock inside. the 1/2 inch is too light weight when stronger winds are present. I used snap clamps to hold the fabric to the pipes.

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Img_1014

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Img_1015

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Img_1016

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Img_1018
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/30/2015, 5:58 pm

Thank you for clarifying this for me.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Empty I enjoyed reading/seeing that

Post  Windmere 3/30/2015, 11:52 pm

Thanks for that detailed information has55.  Your garden looks beautiful by the way.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/31/2015, 12:46 am

Has, The fabric in your photos is the "No See Um" ?? It looks almost like bridal tulle but a tad heavier, whereas the fabric Yolos highlighted (http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting-white/10173292.html) looks like it could be used as shade cloth. It is already hot here and I may need to by more shade protection but I don't want to pay a fortune.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/31/2015, 2:16 am

sanderson wrote:Has,  The fabric in your photos is the "No See Um" ??  It looks almost like bridal tulle but a tad heavier, whereas the fabric Yolos highlighted (http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting-white/10173292.html) looks like it could be used as shade cloth.  It is already hot here and I may need to by more shade protection but I don't want to pay a fortune.
ok, I'm a man at the mercy of the Joann's women employees that I hope knew what I wanted from the picture I showed them on my iPhone. I hope it's not tulle. My heart will be broken. I will ask tomorrow. You're right the picture is different. Hmm. If not, then i will will probably get just a year use out of the fabric. I'll let you know. I was still impressed by the 50% off deal.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/31/2015, 2:51 am

Has, I'm on the second summer for some of the tulle. I'm careful using the binder clips to attach. I machine washed on gentle and stored them over the winter. I had some new wider (108") tulle for this past winter cole crops.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/31/2015, 3:20 am

sanderson wrote:Has,  I'm on the second summer for some of the tulle.  I'm careful using the binder clips to attach.  I machine washed on gentle and stored them over the winter.  I had some new wider (108") tulle for this past winter cole crops.  
sanderson, thank you. it help decrease the pain if it's the wrong fabric. that's why I call it the SFG Journey. Live, learn, retrace step if necessary and grow, grow, grow. 
Rganks windmere and Yolos for the pleasant, refreshing and healing comments. That's why I hang around this group.Very Happy
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/1/2015, 9:15 am

Found out yesterday, I have the right fabric. Happy, happy, happy. It definitely different. Thanks everyone for your support.
I probably get better material as these break down from a website like this one. it more expensive, but will give me years of service. I also can get borders if I want it.
Mosquito Netting Fabric Store

right now.i'm using what I just purchased for this SFG Journey-Spring 2015

question. Is there a way to tell what date or year replies are posted?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/1/2015, 10:21 am

Select 'Profile' in the green nav bar at the top of the page.

Select the 'Preferences' tab.

Near bottom of page is where you select time/date options.

It will show up here
The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Screen66
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/1/2015, 11:25 am

has55 wrote:Found out yesterday, I have the right fabric. Happy, happy, happy. It definitely different. Thanks everyone for your support.
I probably get better material as these break down from a website like this one. it more expensive, but will give me years of service. I also can get borders if I want it.
Mosquito Netting Fabric Store

right now.i'm using what I just purchased for this SFG Journey-Spring 2015

question. Is there a way to tell what date or year replies are posted?

The mosquito netting fabric store is a little pricey but I bet it will last a lot longer than the tulle.  Also, they had a neat video showing how to cheaply connect two pieces of netting together and also how to put a snap along the edge.  The video was called Improvising Rigging.  This same method could be used to put together two pieces of tulle to make it bigger or custom fit your frames.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/1/2015, 6:04 pm

boffer wrote:Select 'Profile' in the green nav bar at the top of the page.

Select the 'Preferences' tab.

Near bottom of page is where you select time/date options.

It will show up here
The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Screen66
Boffer I was talking about when I read other's SFG's replies. how do you figure out if their replies is this year, last year or 2-3 years ago?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/1/2015, 6:05 pm

yolos, I didn't see that video. I have to go back later and watch it.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/1/2015, 6:31 pm

has55 wrote:...Boffer I was talking about when I read other's SFG's replies. how do you figure out if their replies is this year, last year or 2-3 years ago?

I happened by chance to use your post as an example.  Here's another member's post on this page.

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Screen69

Am I not understanding your question?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/2/2015, 5:48 am

has55
That looks nice, and the price for me is very nice, I paid $3.00 a yard @ 36 inches wide for what I've been using.
Your material is $4.00 a yard and at 72 inches wide....this make it $2.00 per yard for what I've been paying, and if another 50% sale comes along that's $1.00.
I'll stock up at that price
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/2/2015, 9:07 am

jimmy cee wrote:has55
That looks nice, and the price for me is very nice, I paid $3.00 a yard @ 36 inches wide for what I've been using.
Your material is $4.00 a yard and at 72 inches wide....this make it $2.00 per yard for what I've been paying, and if another 50% sale comes along that's $1.00.
I'll stock up at that price

50% off coupon thru Sat 4/4/15.
http://www.joann.com/coupon/?ici=hb-1&icn=Home

I want to make sure I have it correct.  Is this the fabric has55 is talking about.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/2/2015, 3:04 pm

boffer wrote:
has55 wrote:...Boffer I was talking about when I read other's SFG's replies. how do you figure out if their replies is this year, last year or 2-3 years ago?

I happened by chance to use your post as an example.  Here's another member's post on this page.

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  Screen69

Am I not understanding your question?
I didn't understand your answer. I went in the first time to adjust the time and found it was for myself. I went in this time to send a reply. as I was in the reply section i noticed I can see everyones date and year, which is what I wanted but not when I'm on the main page reading the replies by others. Is this what you meant?
 My question is how to see the date of the post on the reading page. 
this process work what I just explained, but I think you might be telling me another process that I'm not understanding.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/2/2015, 10:31 pm

Haas, did you figure out how to turn the date and time stamp on, from your profile?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/3/2015, 7:16 am

I followed Boffer instruction, but it wasn't working. Butttttttt, today it's started working. I can see the dates, time and year of older posting, such as 2011, 2012, etc... thank you. I don't know why it was not working when I reviewed other people older posting from past years.
Thanks everyone.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/20/2015, 10:51 am

has55 wrote:I added 1/2" pvc pipe 5 ft long on two sides for weight. I filled the pipes with small rocks and cap each end off. the other 2 sides I used  two 2 1/2 ft long 1/2 pvc pipe. this allowed me to pulled the fabric over the EMT pipes and collapse it down on the other side. I switching to 1" pvc with rock inside. the 1/2 inch is too light weight when stronger winds are present. I used snap clamps to hold the fabric to the pipes.
you could try adding sand to the 1/2" for weight
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down