Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening Charts / Labels Toplef10Gardening Charts / Labels 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening Charts / Labels I22gcj10Gardening Charts / Labels 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening Charts / Labels Toplef10Gardening Charts / Labels 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening Charts / Labels I22gcj10Gardening Charts / Labels 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gardening Charts / Labels

3 posters

Go down

Gardening Charts / Labels Empty Gardening Charts / Labels

Post  markqz 5/28/2022, 10:07 pm

I know I've posted other strategies for labeling, but can't seem to find them today. Most small labels have various problems, but particularly they can't record a lot of detail. Labels often get lost as plants get bigger.

The SFG system lends itself to an external recording approach.

The utility of notes is that they help you remember when you put in plants. This is useful to compare plant growth from season to season, whether plants are ahead or behind in growth, and what prior plants were in a particular square.

My current strategy is to record plants on a 4x4 grid. Some of my earlier ones were just that -- 4 x 4 grids. More recent versions allow for standardized abbreviations so notes can be kept short.

The pages are printed out and kept in plastic envelopes. I have a clipboard available for when taking notes. I'm thinking of getting some water-proof paper for future pages.

For now I've posted them here:

Gardening Charts

Don't know how long I'll keep them there.

markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Gardening Charts / Labels Empty Re: Gardening Charts / Labels

Post  Soose 5/28/2022, 10:54 pm

markqz wrote:I know I've posted other strategies for labeling, but can't seem to find them today. Most small labels have various problems, but particularly they can't record a lot of detail. Labels often get lost as plants get bigger.

The SFG system lends itself to an external recording approach.

The utility of notes is that they help you remember when you put in plants. This is useful to compare plant growth from season to season, whether plants are ahead or behind in growth, and what prior plants were in a particular square.

My current strategy is to record plants on a 4x4 grid. Some of my earlier ones were just that -- 4 x 4 grids. More recent versions allow for standardized abbreviations so notes can be kept short.

The pages are printed out and kept in plastic envelopes. I have a clipboard available for when taking notes. I'm thinking of getting some water-proof paper for future pages.

For now I've posted them here:

Gardening Charts

Don't know how long I'll keep them there.

Markqz,
Thanks very much for sharing the gardening charts!  There's certainly a lot to record (couldn't possibly remember myself). 

Is the "2" in " B2~5/2022"  Bone meal, second application (or whatever code you created)?

You seem to have gone thru several iterations.  I assume you use the last more detailed chart nowadays.  (Right, I re-read your post.)  Had you thought of doing this is a calendar version?  Sort of like the planting charts in the original book?  The thought of a visual record appeals to me.  I have a family member who writes everything down on a wall calendar.  She refers back to it all the next year many times.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 5/29/2022, 3:11 pm

Soose wrote:Is the "2" in " B2~5/2022"  Bone meal, second application (or whatever code you created)?
Yes, so the notation can be terse wherever it is used.
Soose wrote:Had you thought of doing this is a calendar version? 
I had previously tried making a computerized version. But there was too much key-punching. I think I've come up with a method to simplify the key-punching. The advantage of a computer approach is that you could, in theory, generate different views of the same data at the push of a button.
Soose wrote:Sort of like the planting charts in the original book?  The thought of a visual record appeals to me.  I have a family member who writes everything down on a wall calendar.  She refers back to it all the next year many times.
I'm trying to think how this would work. If you started each plant on its own week (assuming week granularity), you'd quickly run out of space to the right. You could start each plant (square) in its starting block on the left, but then each plant would be on a different timeline.

Hmm. I guess one approach would be to print a detailed page for the left side, and then a continuation sheet for each page you need on the right. You would tape the pages together and then fold them down for storage.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 5/29/2022, 5:57 pm

markqz wrote:I had previously tried making a computerized version. But there was too much key-punching. I think I've come up with a method to simplify the key-punching. The advantage of a computer approach is that you could, in theory, generate different views of the same data at the push of a button.
Soose wrote:Sort of like the planting charts in the original book?  The thought of a visual record appeals to me.  I have a family member who writes everything down on a wall calendar.  She refers back to it all the next year many times.
I'm trying to think how this would work. If you started each plant on its own week (assuming week granularity), you'd quickly run out of space to the right. You could start each plant (square) in its starting block on the left, but then each plant would be on a different timeline.

Hmm. I guess one approach would be to print a detailed page for the left side, and then a continuation sheet for each page you need on the right. You would tape the pages together and then fold them down for storage.

Markqz, I definitely don't think adding in a job of computer data keeping is something I can DO on top of gardening!    I will need to record it as I do it in the garden.  And I couldn't possibly spare the time and energy to transcribe when I got inside.  This is not an exercise, right? This is real life.  There would have to be an overwhelming need for the data interpretation/sorting.

But I really do get behind the idea of keeping track and having the record to refer to next year[s].  I've been drawing the beds in my little bound journal and noting what I planted when, but going back to that while I'm outside and noting what I DID to the plants like spray with something or add something -- that's a real gap in my record keeping and I just barely started. Much less a whole year of tending...

[ The only thing I did so far is look daily for cabbage worms and tie up vines.  On four beds!  (And I'm looking for a way to get around that daily task, prevent the problem starting in the first place. Need to stay ahead.) ]

I'm not understanding your idea above.  But this is what I was meaning (see picture below)...
X-axis/columns would be "time" or planting week. 
Y-axis / Rows are each square to track, organized by bed.

Like in the original book.

I guess I would have 8 beds x 12 so that's 96 rows for just the SFG not including the 18gal tubs.
So that would be at least two pages, maybe more...

BUT it could be fold-out or 11x17, and cover a whole season.  Or Spring into Summer on one side, and then continuing late Summer into Fall on the other side (just flip the chart over).  Need 52 weeks across. 

Sorry I can't fill more in on this example,  because I am not plant - savvy enough yet to come up with examples. Sad  But I think visually this would help me and I could see when I replanted each square, just keep on going across the row.  Harvest, replant.  With notes on any treatments done in between. Or even = " H 2" would be harvested 2 squashes from this square's plant? 

Gardening Charts / Labels Exampl10
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/30/2022, 2:25 pm

I kept a journal my first year. I could be as long winded or as brief as I wanted. It was so much fun reading the journal in the winter.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 5/30/2022, 11:58 pm

I've added an experimental timeline chart.

There's space at the top to write the week. You can see at a glance how many weeks it's been. Instead of using A1, B2 ... notation, there's a mini grid where you can fill the box showing which square you're referencing.

The question is whether there is enough space available to make it useful. If people find it useful, I could extend the weeks on the backside.

Gardening Charts / Labels 3s25osH
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 5/31/2022, 8:03 am

I spent some time with Excel yesterday creating a tracking chart for my own garden (nine 3x4 beds to start, haven't done anything about additional planters). 
I could have made it smaller but think I am going to put a season on a page.

Gardening Charts / Labels Contac10
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 5/31/2022, 8:09 am

markqz wrote:I've added an experimental timeline chart.

Mark, I wish I'd waiting before creating my more elaborate garden-specific chart.  Obviously experience tells.

I can't click on the image to look at it larger or to print or download.  Can you please attach one that
I can get to? This seems to be only a thumbnail.

[ Have you got  a chart for helping plan or track your seed-starting indoors? Or is it not needed? 
It's the planning part of that -- knowing when to start what and how many -- that befuddles me,
and I've got, what, a couple of months max to figure it out for the Fall starts? ]
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 5/31/2022, 9:12 am

Soose wrote:
I can't click on the image to look at it larger or to print or download.  Can you please attach one that
I can get to? This seems to be only a thumbnail.
There's a link above the thumbnail.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 5/31/2022, 9:31 am

markqz wrote:There's a link above the thumbnail.
Ah, took some staring to see it's under the word "added."  Eyes not so good.

I like your chart. I wish I had not spent the time making mine.  I've printed a double-side
copy.   We'll try it out in the garden, and discuss which to use here.  I see right away, yours
has twice the space to record.  Bigger grid.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down