Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

+62
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
has55
ctrysg
BeetlesPerSqFt
CitizenKate
newbeone
Scorpio Rising
boffer
trolleydriver
littlejo
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
Yardslave
Windmere
Kelejan
JustMe
martha
brainchasm
AtlantaMarie
Rambo
johnp
Marc Iverson
Icemaiden
bnoles
wcfujita
southern gardener
greatgranny
J_in_HamiltonON
iiiigardener
mschaef
Goosegirl
sanderson
yolos
donnainzone5
NightMist
mollyhespra
meatburner
jimmy cee
JackieB999
llama momma
cjdunmore
CapeCoddess
cpl100
FamilyGardening
Dunkinjean
westie
RoOsTeR
tomperrin
kbb964
quiltbea
elysia
subsonic
Turan
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
GWN
CindiLou
Grandpop
plantoid
camprn
cheyannarach
66 posters

Page 25 of 32 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  Windmere 6/10/2015, 9:37 am

yolos wrote:Windmere - I don't know enough about garlic to answer your question but I am having a heck of a time drying my garlic.  They are on the back screened-in porch with two ceiling fans running but the humidity is so bad I am not sure they will ever dry.  The garlicy smell is much less now so if they do not dry in the next week I may bring them inside and put a dehumidifier next to them.  What about putting them in the dehydrator (whole) for a bit??
I have mine hanging off a couple bar stools in our kitchen.  We don't have as much humidity in the house because of the A/C.  I don't have a dehydrator, but I'm wondering if putting them in a low temp oven for a while might work ok.  You've got me thinking on that one.  I might try a few just to test my idea.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  plantoid 6/10/2015, 4:29 pm

In November last year I planted all this years garlic crop in open full sun beds .

I've had various degrees of size in previous years . I'd been wondering about the depth I was putting them in the beds so I made a simple planting gauge/dibber stick  from a   stump of broom stick marked at the two inches below ground with red insulation tape the bottom edge of the tape being a measured 2 inches up from the end of the dibber. 
 I used my planting masks to set the hole in the garlic pattern and the dibber to put them all 2 " down at the base of the clove and sprinkled  new MM over the filled holes .

Three days ago I decided to harvest my garlic as the tops had started to turn yellow and the plants were wanting to lay down . Before harvesting I had a grope down in the bed around a couple of the bulbs and found them decent sizes .

The results are very good all the pink/purple white soft neck garlic was about 1 " to 1 & 1/4 " dia and all the white garlic was 1 & 1/2" to to 2 " in diameter .

Do remember folks that garlic " Goes native " , so what may work well in one location might be quite different in another place elsewhere in the world .

Would my crop have continued to grow till the summer solstice  ?  I doubt it , as the tops said harvest me now .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/18/2015, 10:06 am

WOW this is quite the long forum thread!  There must be tons of good information about growing garlic which I will have to wade through.

As Autumn approaches I'm thinking I should try to grow some garlic in my SFG.  I have no idea how to do it so will have to do some reading. It must grow well in my area (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) because there is an annual garlic festival in a nearby village.

http://carpfair.ca/events/event/15th-annual-garlic-festival/

This link provides a good explanation of planting, mulching and harvesting.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=4aa80fb2-5cf9-4a8f-b111-5b2829748f67

Can't wait to try it.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/18/2015, 10:32 am

TD, you'll be amazed at how easy it is. I plant mine on Halloween. I finally figured out last year that they need to be watered at the same time as the rest of the SFG instead of less often, which is what I did the first year.

boffer wrote:
In October, I planted one square of garlic in each of 14 boxes.  The leaves are developing at different rates in different boxes; noticeable, but not dramatic differences.  

What is dramatically different, is the slower growth in boxes that got a bit of extra heat early in the year: two boxes in my greenhouse, and a couple of TT's with heated MM.  I'm real curious to see how well they bulb up, usually in late June/early July for me.

Boffer, assuming you've harvest your garlic by now, what were the results? I've been thinking about planting in different boxes this year.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/19/2015, 10:42 am

CapeCoddess wrote:
boffer wrote:
In October, I planted one square of garlic in each of 14 boxes.  The leaves are developing at different rates in different boxes; noticeable, but not dramatic differences. ...

Boffer, assuming you've harvest your garlic by now, what were the results?  I've been thinking about planting in different boxes this year.
CC

The picture shows the biggest and smallest; most were in between. A wide mouth pint jar for size reference.  

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 Dscn6110

This the second season of planting an unknown hardneck variety that I got from the farmers' market.  I planted 5 per square all on the same day.  Growth varied per box, and harvest was over a 3 week period,  when the leaves were about 3/4 brown.

My only conclusion is that  the  extra heat provided by hoop/green houses or heated MM didn't grow bigger bulbs.  The biggest bulbs came from the boxes that get the least sun, where I grow most of my cool crops.  They were the last to be harvested.  

The age of the MM varied from new to 8 years, but I couldn't discern  a pattern where that made a difference.  Not in the garlic, nor other crops that I planted in multiple boxes.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/19/2015, 10:47 am

boffer wrote:
My only conclusion is that  the  extra heat provided by hoop/green houses or heated MM  didn't grow bigger bulbs.  The biggest bulbs came from the boxes that get the least sun, where I grow most of my cool crops.  They were the last to be harvested.  

Huh. Very very interesting. I would love to plant the garlic in a bed with less sun and save the sunnier beds for other things that need it. But this year I will keep this in mind as I plant in different boxes, and report the results next year.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/19/2015, 10:54 am

PS Dang, Boffer...that's a huge garlic on that wide mouth! Shocked
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/19/2015, 11:08 am

CC, this was the first year that I planted 5/sq rather than 9. I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Next year, I'll plant two squares per box, one at 5 and one at 9, to see if it makes a difference.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/19/2015, 11:32 am

I've only done 4 & 5 per square, staggered. I still get smallish bulbs.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/24/2015, 12:25 pm

I dug my garlic August 8th. I had removed the soaker hose from their bed 2-3 weeks earlier. Yesterday I trimmed and brushed them off and put the good bulbs in a burlap sack to hang in the mud room. There was 80 bulbs varying in size from .5oz to 4.7oz. The biggest bulbs just barely fit within the diameter of a wide mouth canning jar (great reference, boffer).

This bed had been in potatoes and broccoli last year. There were a couple potatoes plants from potatoes I missed. I got a nice meals worth of tubers as well. BUT there was one plant in the back that when I dug down there were no tubers and all the garlic around it had basal rot. I put those 20 bulbs aside for fast use. I threw some of the soil from that area over the fence to the sheep pen.

I had deep mulched that bed as usual with hay but not cleared the mulch off in the spring. This is the second year I have not pulled it off and let it rot in place. It seems to do a good job feeding the garlic in the spring. It is the only feeding the garlic get. Could it be the source of the basal rot? Or was it that this was a cool wet spring? Or was that potato harboring something?

I will wait a couple more weeks and then look through my bag of good bulbs and see how they are doing. I am hoping to find no more bulbs with signs of the rot. Then I can separate the best looking bulbs and wait until planting time. If there seems the rot was spread further than I think now I better order new stock. Which would be a bummer, I got these from a friend a number of years ago.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/6/2015, 9:12 pm

My garlic this year was very weird, super cold winter here in central Ohio, rainy Spring, Summer hot and cold spells, too much rain, I suppose I should be happy for any garlic. I planted around 125, got around 120, sizes ranged from 3 inches to 1 inch, very strange year with odd looking results.  I planted all German Red and the wrappers were often oddly colored from other years.  Suppose I was spoiled from other years. Anyway, here it is. 
 Weird Looking --

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 Unname10
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/6/2015, 9:20 pm

LM,

I've been wondering lately how you and your garden have been.

My garlic and onions were smaller than usual this year.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/6/2015, 9:21 pm

Nice!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/6/2015, 10:18 pm

Looks great.to me.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/7/2015, 2:16 am

camprn wrote:Looks great.to me.
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/7/2015, 8:13 am

Looking good ...
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/7/2015, 9:03 am

Looks good to me too!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/7/2015, 11:24 am

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Almost all the wrappers have a darker color this year instead of nice white wrappers with reddish/purple stripes as in other years.  These look rough to me. Maybe the extra muddy soil conditions stained these.  I really don't know the reason.
The most important thing is the taste and ability to keep nice large ones for replanting.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/7/2015, 12:46 pm

llama momma wrote:Thanks to everyone for your replies. Almost all the wrappers have a darker color this year instead of nice white wrappers with reddish/purple stripes as in other years.  These look rough to me. Maybe the extra muddy soil conditions stained these.  I really don't know the reason.
The most important thing is the taste and ability to keep nice large ones for replanting.

I see what you mean and noticed it right away. The staining thought is a good one. Did you have a lot of coffee and /or tea in your compost this year?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/7/2015, 3:22 pm

CC
That is an interesting idea.  Yes I had a lot of coffee grounds in the compost. Wouldn't be surprised if it was over 100 pounds spread among 4 wooden pallet composting heaps.  Maybe that caused the staining.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 9/9/2015, 12:55 pm

I know I stress over freshly planted things too much, I cant help my self.  Watching our first attempt at garlic is kinda bothersome.  I read that it is slow growing and figured I'd have fun fretting over it but this is weird.  We worked and prepared our lil bed and planted the garlic toes in a 4 to the foot pattern like we showed on our blog.
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 25 C
True to my form I have been checking on it several times a day every since.  Pulling the few weeds and watering when needed.   Well something weird happened that has me all concerned again.  on one corner in 2 adjacent squares 6 garlic chutes jumped up one of witch is already 4 inches tall and the whole rest of the bed is empty cept for the errant weed.  I guess its just something else for me to fret over and one of the things I enjoy about gardening.  I just have to be careful.  In years past I have given up on no show okra and planted again stressed for a while and again.  Only to find 3 or 4 plants growing per spot.  Prolly wouldn't be a good thing for this stinkin slow poke garlic so I'll impatiently waIT SOME MORRE!!!!!
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 9/9/2015, 3:43 pm

It is coming a good ole south Louisiana soaking rain.  like this right now. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLPMU5_hjg

Wouldn't ya know it we had dragged the hose out yesterday evening and spend a couple hours watering and swatting skeeters.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/10/2015, 2:23 am

That rain looks so refreshing and cleansing. Pulling out the hose was a guarantee it would rain! The greatest thing that could happen here would be rain. Could I ask why you only plant 4 garlic per square? Are they a very large garlic? The bed looks nice and deep and it seems it would support 9/square.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 9/10/2015, 10:51 am

We thought of putting more but our ag center recomended 6" spacing.  We will see how this goes and retry next year it was a first attempt.  Learn as ya go I guess 9 seems awful tight though.  All our beds are old fashoned and are 12 inches high.  It works best for us.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 9/10/2015, 12:14 pm

Today its coming a nice long soaking down poor.  That aughta get those slow poke garlics to peek out of the ground.  I supose it isnt too late to stick some more in.  I may try putting one in the middle of each grid That would put one in the middle of each sq foot and one on the strings in the middle and add more.  If it stops flooding today or tomorrow I may just do that.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 32 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28 ... 32  Next