Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 Toplef10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 I22gcj10Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

+62
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
has55
ctrysg
BeetlesPerSqFt
CitizenKate
newbeone
Scorpio Rising
boffer
trolleydriver
littlejo
Razed Bed
Cajun Cappy
Yardslave
Windmere
Kelejan
JustMe
martha
brainchasm
AtlantaMarie
Rambo
johnp
Marc Iverson
Icemaiden
bnoles
wcfujita
southern gardener
greatgranny
J_in_HamiltonON
iiiigardener
mschaef
Goosegirl
sanderson
yolos
donnainzone5
NightMist
mollyhespra
meatburner
jimmy cee
JackieB999
llama momma
cjdunmore
CapeCoddess
cpl100
FamilyGardening
Dunkinjean
westie
RoOsTeR
tomperrin
kbb964
quiltbea
elysia
subsonic
Turan
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
GWN
CindiLou
Grandpop
plantoid
camprn
cheyannarach
66 posters

Page 28 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  llama momma 6/30/2017, 4:11 pm

CapeC-
Music is a variety of true garlic, or hard neck. Elephant garlic is different and not a true garlic.
I think llama manure in the compost is the secret ingredient.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 Empty Re: Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow?

Post  donnainzone5 6/30/2017, 4:56 pm

I planted 72 garlic cloves, although 4-6 did not come up. 

Nevertheless, I had four volunteers, which I transplanted to the rose area to deter deer; they all developed scapes. 

The first scapes began to appear during the first week of June, so I should be harvesting around the end of this month, bad back permitting.

I'm awaiting a date for surgery....
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/30/2017, 5:57 pm

Mine is larger than I thought it would be.  And shading out my cucumbers.  But doing well.  When do you harvest it?  I have 15 plants.  In the middle of my 4x4
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 6/30/2017, 7:08 pm

To be perfectly honest, I don't think my garlic is growing at all.

The onions that they are next to is going gangbusters, but the garlic seems to be suspended in it's growth cycle.

I haven't had this problem before and I'm just confused.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/30/2017, 8:23 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Mine is larger than I thought it would be.  And shading out my cucumbers.  But doing well.  When do you harvest it?  I have 15 plants.  In the middle of my 4x4

I think it is roughly 3 weeks to a month after picking most of hte scapes. When about half the foliage has died back. The green leaves create the protective wrapper. You are supposed to cut off the water for the last weeks.... which is impossible in the middle of a bed with other things that need water (mine are with the eggplant, eggplant needs win). I figure if I can not stop watering it is ok, I harvest and give them a long time to cure before cleaning them up. Seems like that is an equivalent. I have had the garlic store well after leaving them in the ground way too long and too wet and it was ok. I have also had failures when I thought I did everything right. But even the failures just meant getting all the cloves peeled and frozen.

Garlic greens, like green onions, are tasty too.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/30/2017, 8:34 pm

I can move that portion of my drip system aside for a couple of weeks. 

I just pulled a few "experimental" onions--boiling onions that I planted last fall because I couldn't find any sets.  The ones I pulled were rotten.  However, the remainder appear so far to be healthy.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/30/2017, 10:03 pm

Turan wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Mine is larger than I thought it would be.  And shading out my cucumbers.  But doing well.  When do you harvest it?  I have 15 plants.  In the middle of my 4x4

I think it is roughly 3 weeks to a month after picking most of hte scapes.  When about half the foliage has died back.  The green leaves create the protective wrapper.  You are supposed to cut off the water for the last weeks....  which is impossible in the middle of a bed with other things that need water (mine are with the eggplant, eggplant needs win).  I figure if I can not stop watering it is ok, I harvest and give them a long time to cure before cleaning them up.  Seems like that is an equivalent.  I have had the garlic store well after leaving them in the ground way too long and too wet and it was ok.  I have also had failures when I thought I did everything right.  But even the failures just meant getting all the cloves peeled and frozen.  

Garlic greens, like green onions, are tasty too.
OK thanks, how do you preserve your garlic?  I have 15 bulbs!!!!?????  You say freeze?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/30/2017, 11:08 pm

I only freeze if they are not lasting well. After I let them cure I tidy them up and put in an old burlap bag and hang them in the unheated mud room. That room doesn't freeze in the winter but is cooler than the house. I bring in a few bulbs at a time and keep them in a basket next to the stove. Usually they are fine until late spring, some may start to sprout but we chop that up too.

Here is a good resource I found ~
https://www.growveg.com/guides/how-to-harvest-and-cure-garlic/

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 Empty This is my garlic

Post  SwampTroll 7/1/2017, 8:57 pm

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 2017-011

What's wrong with it?  It was planted at the same time as the onions which you can see going gangbusters at the top of the frame, even the beets on the left are doing better than the garlic appears to be doing. Should I attempt to start over and try with new cloves?
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/1/2017, 9:03 pm

SwampTroll wrote:Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 2017-011

What's wrong with it?  It was planted at the same time as the onions which you can see going gangbusters at the top of the frame, even the beets on the left are doing better than the garlic appears to be doing. Should I attempt to start over and try with new cloves?
Wait until the Fall and plant your garlic at that time. Make sure you use garlic that is specifically made for growing not the stuff you buy in the super market for eating. Also I think hardneck garlic (e.g., porcelain/music) is what is best to grow in Canada.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/1/2017, 9:06 pm

SwampTroll wrote:Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 2017-011

I don't know, it almost looks like it has a virus?  So stunted...I would be tempted to scratch and plant at Halloween for a summer crop.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/2/2017, 6:33 am

Two of my garlic varieties look like they have yellow streak virus:
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 Img_9010
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 7/2/2017, 11:19 am

Yeah. 

What I had was specifically for growing, not eating.  Not sure which variety it was, but I did pick it up from my local garden center.
Think I'm going to repurpose that square and see if I can get some kale in.   Weather's been wet and cool enough, that I might be able to get at least one harvest in.  Wish I had some daikon seeds to try in there.

Now to figure out where to find some hardneck garlic around here.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/2/2017, 1:01 pm

SwampTroll wrote:Yeah. 

What I had was specifically for growing, not eating.  Not sure which variety it was, but I did pick it up from my local garden center.
Think I'm going to repurpose that square and see if I can get some kale in.   Weather's been wet and cool enough, that I might be able to get at least one harvest in.  Wish I had some daikon seeds to try in there.

Now to figure out where to find some hardneck garlic around here.
ST ... If you cannot find hardneck garlic at a local garden centre you can order some from Vesey's Bulbs in Charlottetown, PEI. You probably will not find it in garden centres at this time of the year but at the end of summer they should start getting it in.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 7/2/2017, 2:17 pm

Thanks.  Definitely going to have to try the hardnecks.  Never attempted to grow those. 

Perhaps while I'm ordering, I'll pick up some flowering alliums.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/5/2017, 9:37 am

Concise article on harvesting and storing garlic ...

https://tinyurl.com/yamprp5d

Planting garlic (not ANSFG) ...

http://growagoodlife.com/planting-garlic-3/
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/30/2017, 7:51 pm

OK, so I harvested about 15 bulbs.  In July.  Some were past prime, and once cured, pulled apart a bit.  Have a couple away mostly to kids...

Should I plant the pulled apart "past prime " cloves for next year?  Does that have any effect on ability of the garlic plant to "make it"?  I have some bulbs that are tight and really nice for storing, I am talking about planting cloves from the heads that are a bit apart....not what I would choose to store thinking
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/14/2018, 2:19 am

It's only mid April and some of the lower leaves are drying.  I thought that happened when they were nearing harvest?? The soil is MM and I don't know if I should remove the mulch and let things warm up? I actually order this garlic and was hoping to have a decent harvest. Sad Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 Garlic12

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/14/2018, 9:01 am

Sanderson this is what mine looked like last summer and one month before I harvested. It also produced scapes. 

Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garlic grow? - Page 28 Img_4010
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/14/2018, 11:29 am

Use your finger to feel around the base of the plants to check bulb size. There are only roots from the bottom center so you will not be hurting anything. How many months since you planted and did you stick them in the fridge for 6-8 weeks?
If you think the bulbs need to grow more keep any mulch on, the bulbs need cool soil to develop, hot soil tells them to mature.

Take a look at this http://greyduckgarlic.com/Southern_Garlic_Grower_Guide.html

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/14/2018, 3:06 pm

I felt around on a thick plant and there was a bulb about 2" in diameter.  Can't find any on some of the others.  I bought these from a grower, maybe Territorial?  Should I give each a pinch of Espoma Garden-tone and water, then cover with more straw? I can turn the drip line off if needed.

TD, you probably have hard neck garlic (long day, cold winter).  I have soft neck California (short day, mild winter).

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/14/2018, 4:01 pm

When did you plant them? From sprouting in the spring until pulling time for me is 4 months. If you planted at the New Year I would guess they should be ready to pull soon.

You might pull out those you think bulbed enough and leave the others. If so you might as well try fertilizing and mulching and keep watering them. You soil should still be in the bulb growing temperature zone. With the green tops maybe they will keep going. If they are not putting out new leaves and just dying, then it is time to pull.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/14/2018, 4:57 pm

I think I planted them late Oct. Maybe early November? I think I will take a pinch of Espoma for them. They have their own bed this year so they could mature on their own schedule.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/14/2018, 6:10 pm

Honestly, they do look done!  But I would think based on the planting time, they need more time....I agree, give some nutrient and see if that makes a difference!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/14/2018, 7:00 pm

I plant my hardnecks around Halloween each year.  Typically, they're ready for harvest in mid-July.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next