Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing foods you've never eaten Toplef10Growing foods you've never eaten 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing foods you've never eaten I22gcj10Growing foods you've never eaten 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing foods you've never eaten Toplef10Growing foods you've never eaten 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing foods you've never eaten I22gcj10Growing foods you've never eaten 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing foods you've never eaten

+15
ericam
ksbmom
Barkie
TejasTerry
littlesapphire
Lavender Debs
jkahn2eb
camprn
quiltbea
CharlesB
elliephant
curio
FamilyGardening
cheyannarach
lisaphoto
19 posters

Go down

Growing foods you've never eaten Empty Growing foods you've never eaten

Post  lisaphoto 4/17/2012, 7:36 pm

This year I am growing a couple of crops I have never eaten, but when described to me sounded good. These include: Ground Cherries, Kohlrabi, Kale, trombocino squash, blue banana squash, beets (but I forget where I planted them), arugula, butternut squash, delicata squash, acorn squash, a few other squashes, japanese cucumbers, and about 20 varieties of heirloom tomatoes (and I have never had an heirloom tomato). If I get really adventurous, I may plant a few parsnips or turnips.

I'm really excited to try new things this year. I would love to hear stories about new things you have tried thanks to gardening, or your experiences with some of the plants I am trying.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Growing foods you've never eaten Empty Re: Growing foods you've never eaten

Post  cheyannarach 4/17/2012, 9:20 pm

I am trying kohlrabi for the first time too, turnips also but I have had them before because my father in law grows them, he puts them in vegetable beef stew and you can barely tell the difference between them and potatoes, they remind me of a little bit bitter potato and are very similar in texture too. I am also doing horseradish and spaghetti squash! That's it for my newbies! Good luck with yours!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/18/2012, 4:40 am

foods we havent tasted yet and are growing for the first time .....

kohlrabi, rainbow swiss chard, kale and fava beans.....

( i just bought some kale and swiss chard but havent cooked with it yet Very Happy its all washed and ready to go )

things that we are growing for the first time is....

brossel sprouts, green cabage, a few differnt heirloom tomatoes and asparagus

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 4/18/2012, 9:10 am

I've eaten everything we're planting (I LOVE veggies), although we're growing several things I've never grown before, like kale, beets parsnips and sugar snap peas.
We DO have a number of new varieties we're trying this year. Peruvian Purple potatoes, Red Celery, Red Romaine, and Red Brussels Sprouts (see a trend here).
I'm also trying Basil again, this time in the greenhouse... Lemon, Lime and "regular". Also trying carrots again, since this is the first year with the MM.
Each year, we try at least one new variety of tomato along with the one or two from the previous year that we liked the most. This year, the newbies are Sub-Arctic Prime, Siberia, Legend and La Roma (hoping these do ok, as the harvest season is a bit later than we'd like). I found one at Territorial Seed that I will try next year that is much shorter season if these don't fare well.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 4/18/2012, 9:27 am

I'd never eaten Swiss Chard when I first started growing it and it took me a while to be brave enough to try it. Now I can't wait for it to recover from the hailstorm so I can start putting those free healthy greens in to my almost daily veggie saute again! I've grown several types of peppers that I'd never tried before, as well as squash. The stores around here never have more than 3 types of summer squash and 2 types of winter squash. I did a square of turnips over the winter, but didn't get much out of them. Wasn't impressed, but will try again next winter.

Of course I've tried tons of new-to-me tomato varieties, mostly heirlooms. Starting to lean back toward just going for the hardiest, most disease resistant ones, however, due to our local conditions.

Bought a kale seed packet the other day, but I think I have to wait until fall to plant that. Oh, and I got a couple of Golden Midget watermelons last year, which I'd never tried before. I've planted other melons, but these are the only ones I've gotten fruit from. Also several varieties of cucumber.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Growing foods you've never eaten Empty New items I am excited about...

Post  CharlesB 4/18/2012, 9:30 am

Some new things I am trying (and can't wait to get to):

Kakai Pumpkins (seeds are hull-less), Rattlesnake Pole Beans, Cascadia Snap Peas
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/18/2012, 9:44 am

I've been a 'meat and potatoes' person all my life along with my late husband. Living with my son and his family now (I have my own in-law apt which I love), I have been introduced to new foods and acquiring a taste for others, like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and more lately asparagus, parsnips, and Swiss chard among them. As you can see, I didn't eat many green veggies.

We just had the over-wintered parsnips for supper last nite roasted with taters and carrots. Mmmmm, good, the flavor is like a sweet carrot. I have all these in my garden for this year and looking forward to their fresh flavor.

Things we've never eaten before: I sowed seeds for a square of Pak Choi and Radicchio and have a couple of Pak Choi started seedlings under the lights.

We all tried kale and Brussels sprouts for the first time from the market last month and enjoyed them so they are in my garden plan. I've got 3 Brussels already transplanted for this year. We're ALL eating a little healthier than before.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/18/2012, 10:45 am

Hooray for you QB! I love me some BS and kale. I would like to trygrowing okra this year, but the seeds just are taking forever (over two weeks now) to germinate.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Growing foods you've never eaten WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 4/18/2012, 11:20 am

Beets for me.

Elliephant - make kale chips using swiss chard leaves. Amazing snack and season 'em with garlic powder and steak seasoning.
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/18/2012, 11:21 am

lisaphoto wrote:This year I am growing a couple of crops I have never eaten, ....snip..... If I get really adventurous, I may plant a few parsnips or turnips.....

My family is Norwegian on one side, Swedish on the other with a Blackfoot grandmother somewhere in the mix. Turnips were regular spring food but parsnips were something I was taught to turn my nose up to. It is amusing to hear that these are your new adventure. (BTW camp, BS is something we grew in abundance but it was not any kind of vegetable).

This year I planted a square of parsnips. I have overcome my prejudice after reading that when the humble root is diced and roasted in the oven with oil and salt, it is a better snack than popcorn. I do love popcorn.

Last year (2011) the test was fava beans and celeriac. YUM. Fava beans are a lot of work but are a fantastic protein in my chilly maritime climate. Celeriac came close to artichoke hearts in my winter kitchen.

FBmom is going to try the blue tomatoes I was lusting after, but in my tiny garden I ran out of room. Right now there are two trays of tomato seedlings shivering on my deck, many of which I hope to find good homes for. I have another 6 to 8 coming from TSC. Somehow my normal onion order took up twice as much space as it did last year (that should be a good thing, yes?) I am punting even with extra boxes.

In this garden I am squeezing in an heirloom corn, said to be a sweet corn, but it is blue. Some say it makes a nice, sweet cornmeal, others eat it fresh but do not rave about the flavor. How kewl would it be to have a stone to grind corn? I have some melons that did not produce last year (burrr) that I will give a square to again this year, and black garbanzo beans that were disappointing last spring but are doing very well under a poly cover in this garden.

With a change of clothes and a bunker or maybe just a goat, I could slip into the world of preppers, but prepping isn't my goal, eating really well for less is my only plan.

Debs.....loving everyone’s adventures!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 4/18/2012, 11:29 am

Well there's not much at this point that I haven't tried, but as a matter of fact I am planting something this year that I haven't tasted! I'm planting some Asian radishes, one daikon which are long and skinny and look like parsnips, and one called watermelon radish which is round and white on the outside but bright pink on the inside. They're both supposed to be sweeter and milder than western radishes, so Im very excited to try them.

I never ate sugar snap peas before planting them in my garden last year. Theyre so good! That's one thing that gardening has taught me to love.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TejasTerry 4/18/2012, 11:38 am

I'm growing 2 tomatillo plants that are covered in tomatillos. I've never had them as far as I know...but there are restaurants in south texas that probably have them in their hot sauce, and lord knows I've had a lot of that!

I wish I were growing arugula this year. It just sounds so good. I will grow it next year for sure.
TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/18/2012, 11:43 am

Hmm, I've not tried walking onions or artichokes yet. I tried growing the onions last year but didn't catch a crop as I was too busy and grew red curly kale last year but couldn't find it to pick any! Will try again but under butterfly-proof covers. Ditto the purple cauliflowers which I think got swamped out by the parsnips before any butterfly got to them.

I grew quite a few things I hadn't grown before though. The sugar snap peas took their time to produce pods but once they got going they went on and on.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/18/2012, 1:02 pm

Isn't it wonderful how adventurous we get when we can grow our own.

I forgot that I sowed Collard seeds this week and have never tried them, either.

@jkahn.....I'm going to have to try steak seasoning on my kale chips. Never considered it before.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/18/2012, 4:57 pm

quiltbea wrote:Isn't it wonderful how adventurous we get when we can grow our own.

I forgot that I sowed Collard seeds this week and have never tried them, either.

@jkahn.....I'm going to have to try steak seasoning on my kale chips. Never considered it before.
I might try the collards too, I think I bought some seed... i have too many seeds... Shocked need more garden Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Growing foods you've never eaten WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/18/2012, 5:17 pm

camprn wrote: ....snip..... I think I bought some seed... i have too many seeds... Shocked need more garden Very Happy

A happy +1 (I ain't go-en to rehab, ah-no-no)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 4/18/2012, 6:17 pm

We are growing pole beans this year, which I've never eaten. They are climbing up the trellis nicely! Not sure when to pick the beans, though. We went to a plant sale at the university last weekend and my husband snuck in three okra plants (I don't care for okra unless it's fried, and even then......) I'm also growing some heirloom tomatoes that I've not tried before and if they produce I still won't know what they are because I forgot to label the containers when I potted them up!
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/19/2012, 12:35 am

this forum is so fun and inspiring.....

Growing foods you've never eaten 993580

hugs

rose.....when planting a square of something new to try...... hubby will ask....is this a tasting square? Growing foods you've never eaten 211713 LOL
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 4/19/2012, 5:50 am

I've only got 12 squares at this stage so not much room to be adventurous but I have grown microgreens which includes kale, tatsoi, beetroot and endive.

I've also planted purple dragon carrots, romanesco broccoli which is lime green and a purple cauliflower. All veggies that we've eaten before but not in those colours!
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Growing foods you've never eaten Empty Mango flavor... Yum!

Post  hruten 4/19/2012, 6:13 am

I'm trying Vine Peach Cantaloupe. It's supposed to be the size and color of a peach but have texture and taste of a mango... YUM!
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/19/2012, 8:39 am

I have some purple mustard and dinasaur kale growing. Also a white wonder cuke.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 5/2/2012, 8:41 am

I think I have only had eggplant once or twice, but this year I have four plants (if they all make it), and I'm excited to try new recipes with it.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/2/2012, 11:05 am

Oh, yes, I've not tried eggplant and I tried growing it last year but didn't get anything before we moved. This year I picked up 4 starts (2 white, 2 purple) after our hailstorm and they are doing fantastic. Already lots of fruit setting on the purple ones, and whites are flowering.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/2/2012, 2:37 pm

ksbmom wrote:We are growing pole beans this year, which I've never eaten. They are climbing up the trellis nicely! Not sure when to pick the beans, though.

Just don't let them grow woody and stringy. Part of the beauty of growing our own is that we can harvest our stuff at their peak of freshness and flavour and only as much as we need right then.

I bought some aragular at the garden centre this weekend, THEN I looked them up to see what they were.

Last year I grew Swiss chard and kale for the first time; six transplants of each but they gave enough for me to keep eating nearly every day, plus heaps to give to a friend who had not tasted really fresh vegetables since her childhood. It was such a joy to share with someone who appreciated my offerings, that I am doing the same again this year.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 5/2/2012, 11:39 pm

We tend to plant things we have tried and liked. Because if we like it from the grocery store or farmer's market, then it's going to taste much better homegrown.

I am contemplating lemon cucumbers. Saw the seeds at the store and looked them up online. They look pretty neat, and I have to plan out the summer garden to see if those will fit into the plans.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down