Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... Toplef10It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... I22gcj10It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... Toplef10It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... I22gcj10It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing....

+3
sanderson
jimmy cee
mazzy
7 posters

Go down

It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... Empty It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing....

Post  mazzy 5/30/2014, 10:34 pm

Hi all,

Due to sever mole problems I had to make "mole bunkers".  They were made from cinder blocks and cement (1st picture).  Turned out great!  What is even better is how plentiful and beautiful the SFG has become.  My first planting was with a couple 6 packs of Butter Crunch lettuce (see 2nd picture).  They were planted when we had about 5 days of 100 plus heat.  Within two weeks of the end of the heat wave they were overgrowing the area and we were eating them nightly.

Thanks to Mel for his tenacity in coming up with the PERFECT gardening method.

Mazzy
It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... Raised13
It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... Garden12
It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... Garden13
mazzy
mazzy

Male Posts : 69

http://www.woodworkwonders.com

Back to top Go down

It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... Empty Re: It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing....

Post  jimmy cee 5/30/2014, 11:02 pm

Mazzy, they are great, I really like the craftsmanship you apparently possess..
Wont the blocks or covering absorb alot of moisture ?
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... Empty Re: It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing....

Post  mazzy 5/30/2014, 11:12 pm

I covered with colored stucco.  We'll see how much they absorb after the first rainy season :>)  My biggest fear was that they would have adequate drainage so they didn't turn into 6 backyard mud swimming pools. Each bed has 6 inches of 1/4 inch drain rock with 10 drain spouts protruding into the bottom of the drain rock.  Should be okay.

Mazzy
mazzy
mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/31/2014, 12:44 am

Mazzy,  I just noticed that you have the drip lines and grids installed!  Very Happy Very SFG looking! It was a long build but finally got things growing, and growing, and growing.... 3170584802
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/31/2014, 9:19 am

lovely! That's amazing how the butter crunch grew in that heat. Are your grids one piece? For instance could you use them as a trellis also?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 5/31/2014, 9:33 am

Thanks!  The drip line company was recommended by Sanderson...Dripworks.com.  I'm very happy with them.  Nice product, good price, and great service.

The grid was made out of 3/4 x 3/4 redwood 8' long sticks purchased at Home Depot.  I glued and screwed them together and I can lift each one off at one time.  Yes...they could be used as a trellis.  That's a good idea :>)  I really like the grids.  They make it easy to plan and keep track of the garden system.  Here's a link that shows the plan at the Territorial Seed website     http://gardenplanner.territorialseed.com/garden-plan.aspx?p=548529

Mazzy
mazzy
mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 5/31/2014, 10:05 am

Those look wonderful!
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/31/2014, 12:29 pm

Your garden is looking terrific.  You did a wonderful job.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/31/2014, 6:32 pm

Nice to see them completely finished, Mazzy! They look great, like a real asset to the yard should you ever sell the house. And that's great about the butter crunch lettuce surviving 100 degrees. That's about the norm for us during summers -- at least a bit of it coming and going, or even a month straight, like last year. I had thought the butter lettuces had a hard time in the heat, but I guess not. I'm surprised you didn't say that they hadn't turned bitter!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 5/31/2014, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the nice complements.  I did not notice if the butter crunch had turned bitter.  The heat wave was just when I planted them so maybe it didn't have same effect as if it had been growing for a couple weeks. 

Mazzy
mazzy
mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down