Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
In the ground? Toplef10In the ground? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

In the ground? I22gcj10In the ground? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
In the ground? Toplef10In the ground? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

In the ground? I22gcj10In the ground? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

In the ground?

+5
kbb964
GWN
jaclyn.conlogue
plantoid
laufenberga
9 posters

Go down

In the ground? Empty In the ground?

Post  laufenberga 4/11/2012, 8:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what everybody has planted in the ground already? With this weird weather pattern we've had I'm trying to determine if I should procede with some things so I'll see what everybody else has.

So far I have planted one batch of onion sets, peas, radishes, and romaine lettuce in the ground. I'm wanting to get potatoes, more onion sets, more radishes, some spinach and more various lettuces, and possible my beets started this weekend.

-Adam
laufenberga
laufenberga

Male Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

In the ground? Empty Re: In the ground?

Post  plantoid 4/11/2012, 8:26 pm

a

Adam , it looks like you're going to be in for reading some very long lists ..are you up for it ?Laughing

This year is my change over to the soil less MM medium so everything is new.

Except for a couple of hundred over wintering onions I transplanted out of normal soil into MM plus half a dozen curly kale and ten purple sprouting broccoli as well I have everything you have plus about three times as much and that's just the for veg beds , I say this because some is in the glass house growing on and some is germinating in the airing cupboard where it is a constant 22 degrees centigrade , lots of veg plants & seeds are in the beds .

Such as ....... Garlic , Kohl Rabi, leeks , several types of carrots and lettuces , sugar snap peas , broad beans , four or five different cabbages ,broccoli , purple sprouting broccolil , salad onions and a couple of brussels sprout plants readily come to mind .. should I stop here ? Wink

Add another 20 odd types of

flowers plus the couple of thousand bulbs , corms and tubers etc in the flower beds and you'll be fairly close.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

In the ground? Empty Still planting!

Post  jaclyn.conlogue 4/11/2012, 9:36 pm

wooo - i've got lots already in, but it has been a ridiculously mild winter here in central virginia, so I felt safe starting my babies inside back at the beginning of January.

So, in the ground now - started outside from seed, back in march: brussels sprouts, peas, turnips, easter egg radishes, watermelon radishes, dancine, oakleaf and buttercrunch lettuces, swiss chard, beets (gold and red) and little finger carrots.
from the starts inside, already transplanted: leeks, cippolini, sweet onions, broccoli, cauiliflower, cabbage, savoy cabbage, more lettuce, swiss chard.

herbs galore, planted all over the place!
Lots more perennial and annual flowers started from seed and under the porch waiting for me to transplant into companion pots around the garden. Morning Glories, heirloom petunia, gallardia, cosmos and lots and lots of marigolds are all hardened off and patiently outgrowing their pots Smile Hopefully they'll all be out by next Monday!

Good luck with your planting, and remember, just because i'm addicted and already have stuff planted, doesn't mean you are behind - I'm blessed to have mild weather (although running around covering stuff up with old sheets is getting tiresome) to work with. Happy gardening!

Last edited by jaclyn.conlogue on 4/11/2012, 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot a couple of things :))
jaclyn.conlogue
jaclyn.conlogue

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga 4/11/2012, 10:21 pm

Everybody seems so ambitious compared to what I've got, then again, I'm not sure if the weather here allows me to get that much started yet (freeze warning again tonight). I'm also so sick of covering everything up and uncovering it. I'm also unsure if I will be able to plant carrots or beets yet although the temps are getting into the 50's and low 60's F during the day. The outlook forecast has the nighttime lows after tonight only getting to the low 40s.
laufenberga
laufenberga

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/11/2012, 10:52 pm

everyone is in totally different zones and so those in florida and california, are SOOO far away from where I am.
I am in zone 5a and have peas and Kale in the ground, as well as celery spinach and cilantro in the soil under plastic.
I am thinking of planting a few tomato plants under plastic, and then under a cloche to provide two layers of protection.

I also have artichokes in the ground
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/12/2012, 8:35 am

Hi Adam

In the ground I have , peas, lettuce, scallions, leaf lettuce, carrots, spinach and beets. Just noticed scallions poking through the soil! They dont look like scallions but they are EXACTLY where i planted them so they must be hehe. I am Michigan, and had a freeze last night but the beds are under plastic and seem fine this morning
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 4/12/2012, 1:27 pm

I have 4 varieties of lettuce, 2 of spinach, 2 of radish, Swiss chard and scallions in. I have been succession planting and have 5 more squares I will plant this weekend.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/13/2012, 1:42 am

Beets, Onion Sets, Lettuce, Radish, Carrots, Basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Cauliflower, Spinach.

I was impatient during the previous 80 degree days and planted a couple each of tomato and peppers, however, recent frost warnings have forced me to set out protection overnight. The rule of thumb in the KS area is peppers, tomotoes, and cucumbers go in the ground around Mothers Day.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/13/2012, 2:53 am

I can echo KBB, even though I'm in a much warmer zone (I only began in Feb).

A starter plant each of Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage. Starter plants of green oak lettuce, bibb lettuce and a mesclun mix, walla walla onions, celery, fennel, strawberries, snapdragons and a stock (flower).

Seedlings of spinach, arugula, carrots, radish, beets, corn, asparagus, pole beans and bush peas.

First leaves of 3 tomatoes, 2 bell peppers, bunching onions, chives, garlic chives, leaks, cocozelle squash, wax beans, a soy bean, maybe a lentil bean, more carrots & radishes. Bulbs of garlic and shallots.

Still waiting on some seeds to pop, like my 'winner take all' Nantes carrots!

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 4/13/2012, 8:26 am

Let's see...
First off, I will say that we plant under hoop houses and sometimes double that with individual cloches.

two of four sowings of carrots
parsnips
snow peas
sugar snap peas
leeks
shallots
five varieties of onions including WallaWalla
Red Iceberg lettuce, red & green romaines, and a wide variety of leaf lettuces
beets
turnips (Seven Top-- for greens)
6 plants red brussels sprouts
4 plants green brussels sprouts
2 cauliflower
3 cabbage
3 kale
6 brocolli
garlic (three varieties)
Yukon Gold potatoes
German Butterball potatoes
French Fingerling potatoes
Russian Banana potatoes
A variety of herbs, including parsley, borage (hasn't sprouted yet), and fernleaf dill (including a LOT of volunteers that I need to transplant)
Perennial herbs include lemon balm, lemon thyme, common thyme, two forms of sage, chives, pineapple mint

Ready to go out this weekend or next
6 varieties of tomatoes

Ready to go out at the end of the month
YumYum Gold peppers
Miniature red and yellow bell peppers

Still have quite a few items to direct sow when the weather warms up enough.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  laufenberga 4/15/2012, 4:33 pm

I added more to my garden this weekend. Previously I had a salad TT 1x5 in which I had planted some Romaine Lettuce starts and some radishes. I added Iceberg lettuce, Spinach, and a Looseleaf Blend of Lettuce.

In my 3x6 box in the fenced garden I had 2 squares each of Miragreen and Serge Peas. I added 2 squares of red cabbage starts to this box.

In another weird box I have that I will call a TT and is probably 2.5x3.5 I had planted red onions in about 5in of Mix.

I had to get some stuff planted in my garden although it is not in a SFG box, but rather in the ground in rows because I'm waiting on the rest of my compost to be ready. I added yellow and white onions and transplanted some onions that survived the winter, 3 short rows of radishes, 1 short row of spinach, and also planted 2 red cabbage starts( might see which do better, because this is my first year of SFG, the results should speak for themselves and maybe my dad will begin to believe).

All in all, I'm guessing we have close to 320-350 onions planted so far with maybe 30 or 40 more that we could plant that started sprouting in the garage.
laufenberga
laufenberga

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down