Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Toplef10Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Toplef10Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains

+4
Furbalsmom
ModernDayBetty
MSJ
pattipan
8 posters

Go down

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Empty Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains

Post  pattipan 5/17/2011, 4:35 pm

Welcome to the first installment of Tomato Tuesday 2011!!

First off you are probably wondering what Tomato Tuesday is, right? It's simply a weekly report or update on how our tomatoes are progressing. Join in and post your reports . It doesn't have to be a long drawn out report and it is not required, but it will be fun and informative to read about how other tomatoes in your region progress throughout the season. It's one of the things we hold in common as a region.

Very easy guidelines for posting your Tomato Tuesday reports...

• Have fun with this!
  • Report only on Tuesday if at all possible.
  • Use this same thread to post your reports through the end of the season. In other words, don't start a new thread each Tuesday. That way it will be easy to find this thread next week. It will be one looooong thread by October.
  • Other regional forums may start a Tomato Tuesday as well, double-check that you are in the Western Mountains & High Plains forum when you post your report.
  • Refer to first guideline.

Since there is no regional host for Western Mtns. & High Plains region yet, anyone can start their tomato report today if they like. Don't wait! You can check the other regional forums that have Tomato Tuesdays going on if you want to see what others are posting about.

Got tomatoes? We want to hear about them!
pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Empty not in the ground yet

Post  MSJ 5/17/2011, 6:19 pm

I have Big Boy, Cherokee Purple, Early Girl, Jubilee, Yellow Pear and Cherry starts that a friend gave me. They are sitting on my covered patio waiting for me to get more boxes ready so that I can plant them. It has been rainy for the last four days so that hasn't helped matters.
MSJ

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Empty Re: Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains

Post  ModernDayBetty 5/17/2011, 8:03 pm

I planted four different types of tomatoes from seed indoors that did not make the transition to outdoors :o( But in my region your able to direct sow tomatoes so I did. I had them in jugs to protect them from our unusually cold weather last month. I bought three different types of tomato plants in case my seedlings didn't make it. I have added two pictures below. One of my transplants has a yellow flower!! And my seedlings.... which are super tiny.

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Tomato10

Penny's face :o) She doesn't like me paying attention to anyone or anything else.

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Seed_p10

Are circled it so you can see it... but you can't see the cirlce, lol.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Empty Re: Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains

Post  ModernDayBetty 5/24/2011, 7:30 pm

My purchased plants are a few inches taller this week, or look like it, and have a few more flower buds on them. My seedlings I planted directly as seeds are starting to have true leaves!!! I'm actually pretty surprised at how well these little guys are doing.

I wish more people would post :o( please?
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 5/31/2011, 8:25 pm

Hopefully someone else will start doing this too. MSJ, how are your tomatoes doing??

Well, mine are doing fantastic! My transplants are looking good, full of yellow buds. I got some new tomato transplants from a family friends neighbor who started from seed and had a lot of extras. I now also have a celebrity and an early girl. They were planted on Saturday and are just about the size of the picture I posted above. My seedling started directly are doing really well. I have full first leaves and I thinned it down to one per square. Man I hate thinning!! It's so hard to decide who gets to live and who doesn't. I am really impressed with how thick and sturdy these little seedlings are compared to the ones I had originally started indoors that didn't make it.

My camera was dead so pictures next time.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/31/2011, 8:47 pm

krazikandiland

I wish we could direct seed here, I have heard from others that direct seeded tomatoes are much sturdier than those seeds started indoors .

Keep up the good work and keep posting. Someone else in your area should join you (hope, hope, hope).
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/14/2011, 2:35 pm

EXCITING TOMATO UPDATE!! I've missed a Tuesday or two. Oh Most things are looking great!

Hopefully these pictures look good. I chose a low setting on my camera so I wouldn't have to adjust size and stuff.

Roma Tomato, the one with the first flowers, and the first itty bitty tomatoes!! It's a small Roma so they should be coming a long soon. I love it!

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00310

Just a few of her Tomatoes
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00311

Early Girl purchased and planted the same time as the Roma, few flowers, haven't seen tomatoes yet
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00312

Early Girl given to me by a gardener who grew from seed, flowers, tiny tomatoes starting, not looking great. It is surrounded by broccoli and cabage which I read in Carrots Love Tomatoes that they don't like each other about a week after planting.... ooops. Oh well.
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00313

Celebrity in a spot that should be doing great but it's not, also given to be by the same gardener who started from seed, planted at the same time as Early Girl. I'm still not worried... Should I be?
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00320

And now, the grand finale, the girls started from seed! I mixed up which ones are which but they are Riesentraube, Brandywine, Tigerella, and pantano romanesco. I planted two Brandywine and two Tigerella and one of each of the other two. I lost one due to inpatients but judging by the differences in the leaves I think I have at least one of each coming along. I am so impressed even though they are still so small.
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00315
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00316
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00317
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00318
Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00319

The last one has been my fastest growing. It's so wonderful to watch!

Thanks Furbalsmom for the encouragement!

Last edited by krazikandiland on 6/14/2011, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong picture in one place)
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/14/2011, 6:05 pm

The Celebrity just needs a trim around the bottom, otherwise she looks good to me.

Your direct seeded plants do look nice and sturdy. And those babies are so gorgeous.

Enjoy and Thanks for the pictures.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  peanut0915 6/17/2011, 10:52 am

We have had a very wet and cool spring here in Utah, which has been wonderful for my spring crops, but the tomato plants from the store I planted around Mother's Day weekend have been struggling. I have 5 Romas, a Better Boy, a Yellow Pear, and one other indeterminate that I can't remember the name of right off the top of my head. They have been very slow growing, but most of them have yellow flowers on them right now. I am really hoping that the cool weather hasn't stunted their growth and that I can still get a decent harvest. I blame La Nina!
peanut0915
peanut0915

Female Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Empty Tomato Tuesday in south-central Washington

Post  garden girl 7/7/2011, 1:01 pm

Okay, so I wanted to post on Tuesday, but...

Anyway, here in south-central Washington, weather has been crazy like many other places this year. Long, cool, wet spring. Hard on tomatoes!

So, without giving all the details, I have wound up with approximately 25 tomato plants. Most are in trenches growing up vertically, a few have cages (ran out of money for more trellises this year and don't plan to do this many again so didn't want to invest more!!) This has been by far the most difficult year to get them going. Yesterday one had a limp stem and I thought it might have been damaged; today when I went out, most of the plant has gone limp. All the ones around it are doing fine. I'm going back out to pull it and hope it's nothing contagious that the others may catch!! Another (different trench) has just been stunted all along, so I'm going to pull it out today.

I have several volunteers (not included in the count of 25) that I'm going to try to transplant where the above two are coming out. The volunteers are small, but very vigorous-looking and it will be interesting to see what they do.

It is strange to think it is July and still no tomatoes yet ready to eat. There are some that are coming on, and lots of blossoms, but it looks like it will be the end of the month before we get to start eating any.

I'm curious if anyone has used Mel's box for 8 tomatoes where the vertical poles are put in at an angle and then attached at the top? Can't remember what it is called!! I planted mine too far apart this year and they are taking up an inordinate amount of space, even with using trellises.

Next week I hope to have pictures and figure out how to upload them. Cool
garden girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/7/2011, 1:06 pm

garden girl wrote:
It is strange to think it is July and still no tomatoes yet ready to eat. There are some that are coming on, and lots of blossoms, but it looks like it will be the end of the month before we get to start eating any.

Not strange at all for us in the N&C Midwest! I just found my first tomato blossom this morning! Just tell yourself "I'm having a South Dakota Garden this year!"

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 7/19/2011, 8:18 pm

It's been a while since I took pictures for Tomato Tuesday. Here is the update:

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00410
Roma (transplant), it hasn't grown much at all but it's producing a lot of tomatoes.

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00411
Roma's finally starting to turn red!

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00412
Early Girl (transplant) is growing like crazy! I have attempted pinching off but after a week long vacation it seemed pointless lol.

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00413
Early Girl (transplant given to me, started from seed)

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00414
Celebrity (also transplant someone else started from seed and gave to me) She's look really beautiful.

The rest are my tomatoes planted from seed direct outside. I lost one to a puppy paw, started to come back, then a few days later bugs ate it down to nothing :o( but the rest are looking great!

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00415

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00416

Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Dsc00417
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 7/19/2011, 8:19 pm

Sorry all the pictures are sideways... I hate editing Embarassed
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/19/2011, 8:22 pm

krazikandiland wrote:Sorry all the pictures are sideways... I hate editing Embarassed
Lookin' good!Tomato Tuesday/Western Mtns. & High Plains Prank
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 7/26/2011, 11:15 am

I've been eating tomatoes!! I have had tomatoes for two days now!! I got 4 total, 3 Roma's pictured above, and 1 early girl. I have a couple more that should be ready to devour by tomorrow.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 7/26/2011, 5:54 pm

Jealous!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  garden girl 7/27/2011, 12:22 am

Love the pictures! I took some of my 'maters this afternoon, but I haven't got them on the computer yet.

I am trying the suggestion to wash off the little buggies that are swarming over a few of my plants - with some reluctance because I've always been told not to get their leaves wet. Hopefully an occasional shower won't bother them. I also brought in a wheelbarrow of lovely home-made compost for them and watered it in good. Hoping they like it!!

Much to my dismay, I did not get labels on all my plants, and some got moved around, so I'm not sure as to what all I have. But finally everything is starting to put fruit on. We have enjoyed a few handfulls of both red and yellow/orange cherry tomatoes that have been delicious. Picked my first full sized one today - Early Girl, I think. Can't wait to eat it tomorrow!!!

Question - what do I do when my plants reach the top of the trellis and show no signs of slowing down? My uprights are about 5 feet and a couple of my plants have now reached the top. I can't stand the thought of stopping them now that they are finally growing after such a horrible start!
garden girl

Back to top Go down

Post  garden girl 8/2/2011, 8:27 pm

With a week of 90+ weather, my 'maters are finally starting to believe it is time to get to growing. hooray!! Some have topped out their trellises, so I have to figure a way to hook them to the trellises behind/in front to let them grow a bit longer.

Today I finally got to pick a cereal bowl sized picking of grape and cherry toms and I sat and ate them all by myself. (shh, my little secret!) There are more I can go out and pull for a nice big salad tonight.

For 25+ plants, it is still a meager harvest, but I see some color on the larger ones coming along. One I will pick for tonight, should be enough for at least one a day for the next few days. Hopefully they will all decide to ripen!

Some of the plants that were looking sickly earlier in the summer are looking strong now. So that is a good sign. The volunteers still look vigorous, but they aren't producing much - which is fine. I wasn't expecting anything at all, so if they come up with something before the end of the summer, that will be great.

The one tom planted in 100% homemade compost is still growing like crazy and producing a gazillion cherry-sized maters that are amazingly sweet and juicy. It has been really fun to see it taking off!

GG
garden girl

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 8/3/2011, 12:12 am

Great job gg!! I meant to answer your question last week but kept forgetting. My answer would have be IDK, lol, so not helpful anyway. This is my first year doing indeterminate tomatoes and mine are just reaching the top of the trellis. I think your suppose to just wind them back downward but mine is pretty much taking over the whole thing already.

I have been picking a few tomatoes here and there, three today! (picture in 'what are you eating from your garden today') My grape tomatoes are starting to come in. They are one that I started from seed. A couple of my seed started tomatoes are starting to have little tomatoes, so I might actually get some from them!! Exciting. With this hot weather they are really loving it up.

Scary thing is happening. I think I might have gotten curl leaf. I'm not really sure because it doesn't look like it fits the description and it's only some of the tomato and my pepper. I'm scared to pull if it's not really curl leaf. :o(
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down