Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New "recruit" from the Netherlands Toplef10New "recruit" from the Netherlands 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New "recruit" from the Netherlands I22gcj10New "recruit" from the Netherlands 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New "recruit" from the Netherlands Toplef10New "recruit" from the Netherlands 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New "recruit" from the Netherlands I22gcj10New "recruit" from the Netherlands 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New "recruit" from the Netherlands

5 posters

Go down

New "recruit" from the Netherlands Empty New "recruit" from the Netherlands

Post  isis1e 4/11/2012, 7:05 pm

Hi all,

Here's another SQF newbie from the Netherlands. I'm just finishing my gardenplan for this year and can't wait to see how it all turns out.

I've been growing my own fruit and vegetables for the past few years. Up until now the only clear rule for my small garden and balcony was: "if you can't eat it I won't plant it". I didn't really implement a clear system but had a weird mix of plants in traditional rows and aesthetic spacing like you would use in a "normal" ornamental garden. My first year I used inorganic fertilizer, weedkiller etc. Later I switched to organic fertilizers, a more organic approach and implemented a crops rotation scheme (albeit haphazardly). I've learned loads and gained quite a few new skills along the way. In my continuous search for gardening-methods that use space efficiently and are more sustainable I stumbled across Square Foot Gardening. What a great system! Though I'm not implementing it fully in my own garden for now. Why? well...

My garden had extremely poor sandy/rubble soil when I moved in. Just a few years back, I started digging out patches and replacing the sand with garden and potsoil. I also made a large raised bed. I don't have that many weeds because the soil is quite new. Since I already have a raised bed placing more beds on top would look extremely silly and I don't fancy digging the stuff out again to make room for mels mix. It would be stupid anyway since I've got quite healty soil now. Thats why I am just going to use the grid and mix extra cocopeat (don't want to use real peat) and compost into the existing soil. I figure this should work out... and if not at least I will have learned something Wink . Looking forward to exchange tips and tricks with you all. Seems to be loads of useful stuff on the forum already and I hope I can add some too eventually Very Happy
isis1e
isis1e

Back to top Go down

New "recruit" from the Netherlands Empty Re: New "recruit" from the Netherlands

Post  plantoid 4/11/2012, 8:08 pm

Hello and welcome to the site ,

There are now several Netherlanders doing All New Square Foot Gardening by the book written by Mel Bartholomew ( 2006 edition ) Do you have a copy so we are all singing the same song instead of imitation words from copy cat ideas ?

I sympathise about you having already made up your beds.

I was half way done with 10 of my 20 beds that I'd filled with improved mother natures earth based soil.. I even had crops in most of the earth beds . The more I read Mel's book and thought things through , the more I began to understand that even with premium earth based soils there are many advantages of running the correct Mel's Mix into the beds .

I took the plunge in January this year and transplanted all the crops that were in the sloil into the MM filled beds.

I'm please to say that everything has transplanted well and thrived beyond all expectations.

I put this down to the amount of air and consistant level of moisture in the MM moving the nutrients to the roots quickly and with out any contamination you get in ordinary soils.

The use of the new decaying compost as a replenishment nourishment to the square , when we clear out a square and put a trowel of the compost in is also much easier to do in a MM filled bed than in ordinary soil as the texture/density is so light .

It also has the benefits of being a well balanced compost when you make it correctly with all sorts of trace elements . Whereas the commercial stuff is basically a chemical factory of sorts making it as cheap as they can get a way with whilst using the most handy materials .

That all being said don't let it pout you off being here on the site... you might just decide to take the plunge in a year or so . Even if you don't , may I suggeest that you start locating the ingredients to make your own compost from the lists in the book and also to look up the threads about composting which are in the forum area list on the home page.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 4/11/2012, 8:57 pm

New "recruit" from the Netherlands 396615
CCgirl75
CCgirl75

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/11/2012, 9:13 pm

New "recruit" from the Netherlands 61949 Hi and welcome to the Forum

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

New "recruit" from the Netherlands WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/11/2012, 9:38 pm

New "recruit" from the Netherlands 654548 It's wonderful to see people all over the world corresponding about gardening on the site. Even though you're so far away from many of us, you'll find others in your planting zone who will be able to give you advice when you need it.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down