Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal Toplef10YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal I22gcj10YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal Toplef10YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal I22gcj10YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal

+3
morganfam7
AvaDGardner
Laurie Lou
7 posters

Go down

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal Empty YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal

Post  Laurie Lou 3/9/2012, 8:41 pm

This is an amazing video that I saw this morning. I confess that I don't know how to post a link, but the name is "High Density Landscape" by DaveWilsonTrees. I could not believe how many trees were planted in the relatively small yard (I can't remember if they had veggies, too.) The planting was done over several years so there were mature trees as well as new plantings.

I saw a tip on another video (yup, that's what I did this morning) of putting a foot part from a pair of hosiery over each beginning fruit (closed toe end and then twistied at the open ankle to hold it to the branch) to protect it from birds. Every year we had 3-4 birds get caught up in the net over our peach trees--very sad.

It may be odd, but I feel much more comfortable with fruit trees than I do with garden plants. We had beautiful, prolific fruit trees in our yard. Our gardening consisted mostly of 4 years of removing rocks from our traditional row planted garden.
Laurie Lou
Laurie Lou

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal Empty Re: YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal

Post  AvaDGardner 3/20/2012, 1:41 pm

+1!

I love the idea of covering the fruit with old hosiery! You wouldn't have to only use the foot...you could use any part of the leg, and just have to close off both ends.

I cut up my hosiery to use as ties backs. They work so much better than they stuff they sell, because they will expand (stretch) with the growing plant.

When the birds were caught under your tree nets...did they have full access to all your covered fruit? We've had birds fly into our home a number of times. The last one was just before dark (the sun had set) last fall, and the garage was ajar a few inches for a cross breeze. It was really tough to catch it and get it outside!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal Empty Re: YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal

Post  morganfam7 3/20/2012, 7:26 pm

Question: What does that +1 mean? I think, from the different contexts I've seen it, it's like a high five or a Score!.. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I saw that video last night, and I was amazed too! There are a couple of videos with that yard featured...one was specifically about pruning. But then again it seems like a lot of the videos are about pruning and it's all swirling around in my head. lol
morganfam7
morganfam7

Female Posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 3/20/2012, 10:48 pm

Usually +1 means "Me too". It's normally used here to mean "I agree with what you just said in the previous post(s)". Does that help? Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal Empty Ava's ?--Birds access to fruit under net

Post  Laurie Lou 3/21/2012, 5:09 pm

Hi Ava--I'm not quite sure what your question is asking me. I think the nets just covered the top 2/3. The trees are in the backyard. Our house had huge floor to ceiling windows on 2 sides. We had to keep the drapes closed during the daytime to keep the birds from smashing into the windows.
Laurie Lou
Laurie Lou

Back to top Go down

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal Empty +1

Post  Laurie Lou 3/21/2012, 5:10 pm

I had no idea what that meant either.
Laurie Lou
Laurie Lou

Back to top Go down

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal Empty Pruning is utmost important

Post  Laurie Lou 3/21/2012, 5:12 pm

We (aka my husband) incorrectly pruned a peach tree that was 4+ old. The tree split and was ruined. Sad
Laurie Lou
Laurie Lou

Back to top Go down

YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal Empty High denisity landscape

Post  tomperrin 3/21/2012, 5:18 pm

here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP7voRKFUoE
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  morganfam7 3/22/2012, 12:25 am

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:Usually +1 means "Me too". It's normally used here to mean "I agree with what you just said in the previous post(s)". Does that help? Smile

Yes!! Thank you so much! You must be the forum angel! lol I've commented on different messages and I was beginning to think I was the thread killer! lol Cheers to you! lol YouTube--High Density Landscape--Phenomenal 3170584802
morganfam7
morganfam7

Female Posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/22/2012, 4:01 pm

Oooh, thanks for posting that link. That was indeed phenomenal! I was especially interested in the two mature specimans that have been espaliered against the house. My husband won't let me buy the 6-in-1 espaliered apple tree Lowe's is selling for forty bucks right now, because the only place in the sun I can put it is against the house. He says the roots will ruin the foundation. Better safe than sorry, I know, but I still want that tree. Maybe in a container?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/9/2012, 11:28 pm

That link is amazing. Rancho Cuc gets really hot, but it is a dry hot (I was there in Sept and it was 100 but felt more like 80).

That was all one property? I'd love to see it from the sky...which way does the house face? How close are the other houses? They seemed to have never ending sun, and usually we are fighting shade cast from other buildings.

Great ideas on espaliers!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 4/10/2012, 12:44 am

Wow that was cool. And it looks like a typical small lot CA house. I felt the pressure while I was watching - what do they do with all of the fruit!?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down