Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Renting a flat without sun.  Toplef10Renting a flat without sun.  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Renting a flat without sun.  I22gcj10Renting a flat without sun.  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Renting a flat without sun.  Toplef10Renting a flat without sun.  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Renting a flat without sun.  I22gcj10Renting a flat without sun.  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Renting a flat without sun.

3 posters

Go down

Renting a flat without sun.  Empty Renting a flat without sun.

Post  Ducky87 2/19/2012, 1:57 am

I grew up with a large family garden and feel desperate to get back into it, but unable. I'm renting a flat that is stuffed into a hill and surrounded on all sides by a large (concrete and tin) fence. We have a laughably small "garden" that seems to grow only rosemary as it gets only 3-5 hours of sun a day during the summer and less during the winter. I've got a 1.5 miter frost box that is the only thing in the back "yard"
that gets sunlight in the winter. It's a wooden box with plastic
covering to help prevent frost killing my herbs. The front of my place gets a more even amount of light year round, but it would have to be right outside the front door partially behind a column otherwise it might get run over. Also it's all paved out the front. Honestly I would love any pointers.

Has anyone successfully built a box on concrete? Is there a problem with a hanging garden (one that is on wheels or several feet above ground)? My grandparents had one in the states but they lived in a much more temperate climate then here. Would I have problems with the roots drying out or freezing during winter? Would I be more successful if I tried growing only shady plants? Ideally I'd like to grow broccolini, several types of lettuce, cucumbers, and capsicum (although I doubt I could do capsicum in this place). Anyone??
Ducky87
Ducky87

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Renting a flat without sun.  Empty Re: Renting a flat without sun.

Post  walshevak 2/19/2012, 6:37 am

Renting a flat without sun.  654548 Do have the ALL NEW SQUAREFOOT GARDENING BOOK or access to it. It is the SOP manual for our method of gardening and is awsome.

Check out this set up and see if you can adapt to your sunny spots.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8671-my-portable-sfg#80291

i believe you are just going into winter, but are you in an area of hard freezes, light frosts, or year round above freezing. My knowledge of Australia is not that good and a picture of the areas where you get sun might help folks on the forum give more accurate advice.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducky87 2/20/2012, 3:52 am

Yes, I'm just heading into fall here. But I figured now is the time to build the foundation(s) and figure out what I can and can't plant.

Pretty much all my gardening experience is in a completely different climate. So although my mom apparently did use the Sfg method, I moved from huckleberries and apples to oranges and mangoes. So in theory I'm not a complete newbie, but I might as well be. I've never read any of the theories behind my mom's gardening, just followed her advice. And her advice doesn't work as well down here, especially without knowing what to plant. Rolling Eyes

I live an area with an average of 25 inches a year (although it's been very very wet lately so we might usually get less). We get snow in the surrounding areas that are a little higher, so we do get some good frost. Last fall our first frost killed my basil overnight -went from beautifully green to black in one night. However, the lows usually don't get too far below freezing and say in the 30 & 40's F/single digits C. Our summers usually hit the high 90'sF/30's during their worst, but stay around the 80's/20's. For the well traveled Americans -for the most part the climate here is similar to Spokane, Washington, but during the summer we get some storms that would rival Oklahoma's tornado season. Also the frosts never get as bad as they did in Olympia, Washington (which would get frosts so hard the dirt crunched).

The plants that grow amazing here are mostly evergreen from what I can tell-tons of rosemary, juniper bushes, pine, etc. Lavender acts like a wildflower here and seems to love this area. It's also pretty common to see Jasmine, mandarins, strawberries, and grapes growing well but those look like they get a bit more of love. About an hour out of town (in any direction) we have small foot hills that are full of apple and peach orchards as well as a small winery. Not sure if that helps anyone figure out the kind of climate here, but that's the best info I have so far. I'm still learning about my area.
Ducky87
Ducky87

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/20/2012, 7:25 am

Good Morning and Welcome!

Your climate sounds quite similar to many areas of northern California - just a bit milder than my hometown. The area I grew up in got to mid-20's for lows in the winter and low 100's for summer highs, but the plants you describe are what I saw EVERYWHERE! Pear orchards and wine grapes were the main crops in our valley, but many of the surrounding valleys were known for apples instead of pears. Lavender, rosemary, jasmine, citrus - especially lemons and oranges, persimmons, evergreens, oaks, etc. Rosemary was a basic 'go to' for cheap landscape filler in parking lots!

If you can get or make one, a small table top box could work in your front yard. Boffer is the king of table tops, and he does Heated Hoop Houses (H3's!). A small one with some heat might be just what you need for winter!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down