Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Existing beds, renting Toplef10Existing beds, renting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Existing beds, renting I22gcj10Existing beds, renting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Existing beds, renting Toplef10Existing beds, renting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Existing beds, renting I22gcj10Existing beds, renting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Existing beds, renting

+4
J_in_HamiltonON
moswell
camprn
irishgirl76
8 posters

Go down

Existing beds, renting Empty Existing beds, renting

Post  irishgirl76 7/24/2012, 8:10 am

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum!
I am currently renting a home and there is a 4x10 raised bed in the back yard. I've removed all the flowers that were in there (they were overgrown, and a mess), and a couple of small trees. There is still one tree in there, and I'm not sure if I can/should remove it or not. I would really like to turn it into a SFG. It is full of existing soil (I would say there is about 4 inches of empty space from the very top of the bed down to where the soil starts). I have bought some peat, vermiculite, and compost (but not enough to fill the whole bed), and was wondering if I could just mix it into the existing soil. I'm not sure how much longer I will be renting the house, so I hate to make a huge investment and have to walk away from it, plus removing the soil would be a lot of work, and I'm not sure where I would put it. Plus it is late in the year, and I'm only planting fall crops in it now.
Any thoughts? I'm a single mom and my resources (financial and otherwise) are very limited - I would love to supplement our grocery budget by growing some of our own.

Thanks for your help!

irishgirl76
irishgirl76

Back to top Go down

Existing beds, renting Empty Re: Existing beds, renting

Post  camprn 7/24/2012, 9:09 am

Hi Irish, Welcome to the Forum. I use the ingredients of the SFG (compost, and peat) often to amend the native soil when I am working on making a new flower bed and you can certainly do that. If you have good soil all the better for your garden. With the SFG and starting a new garden, the Mel's mix is what is going to make or break you garden, and it comes down to the quality of the 5 different composts that you choose to use. Give it a go.

Have you read the All New Square Foot Gardening book (2006) yet?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Existing beds, renting WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 7/24/2012, 11:43 am

Welcome Irish. As someone who is now in the position of having to abandon her garden (I also rent a house, but my landlords have decided to sell the house), I understand your desire not to devote more resources than you have to. How big is the tree still in the bed?

At any rate, don't forget containers (most of mine are filled with Mel's Mix). I've got a lot of stuff already in containers, and I'm glad that I won't lose those when I move.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  J_in_HamiltonON 7/24/2012, 12:46 pm

Hi Irishgirl, welcome fellow Ontarian. The previous owner of my house grew lots of flowers but no veggies (or so it seemed when we bought the house). There was one main bed and I pulled up and/or moved all of the flowers out of there to convert it into a veggie garden (although we still had a few surprise flowers pop up over the next 2 years). Anyway, I thought the soil was pretty good in there, it clearly had been ammended over the years probably with various amounts of potting soils / garden soils / manures. This year I found out about the SFG method and made mels mix for the first time. It is far better then the soil in that existing flower bed.
First off, I'd say do not grow veggies close to a tree, the tree will suck the life out of your plants with it's massive roots (at least that is what I am finding trying to grow hostas under a large maple). My suggestion (if you don't want to remove the tree) would be to subdivide the box to sort of isolate theh tree (to prevent the roots from going over to where the veggies are. you say you bed is 4 x 10 (how heigh is it?), so you could cut 2x6 or 2x8 or whatever to 4 foot lenghts and install those in to subdivide the box. Also consider whether the tree will shade out some of the plants
As far as amending the soil, what I did this year was to mix some compost and peat (actually I used the ASB Greenworld Original Growers Mix from Canadian Tire which is mostly peat plus lime and some compost) into the existing soil ( and then about 4" of mels mix on top of that (i plan to add more next year but thought this was a good start). Maybe if you need to you can stack some new wood to raise the bed height in order to allow for more soild to be added. hopefully all that makes some sense.
What sort of composts did you find. I had a hard time finding compost here in the Hamilton area - all the stores and greenhouses sell cow and sheep manure but nothing else.
J_in_HamiltonON
J_in_HamiltonON

Male Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/24/2012, 1:00 pm

glad you\'re here Hi and welcome. I love the idea of containers because you can move them around. If you're not overly familiar with sun and shade patterns in your yard you can move containers as needed. You put in the soil you want and you can take them with you. As far as containers go use your imagination with what you have. I use buckets from the hardware store, basins, plastic coffee cans, etc. As long as you put holes in the bottoms to allow for drainage. A lot of restaurants are going with plastic "to go" containers now. I use those under pots, etc for drainage. Hope this gives you some ideas. Happy gardening! flower
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/24/2012, 6:58 pm

Four inches of MM is better than none. Topping off the existing beds makes sense if the tree doesn't interfere. Another possibility for you is the use of the cement mixing tub. Big enough to grow in, small enough to be portable with some help.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t10982-cheap-plastic-2x3-boxes

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  irishgirl76 7/24/2012, 11:05 pm

Thanks everyone!

I feel like I should utilize this bed now that I've ripped everything else out of it - there was even a layer of rocks on top (5 recycling bins' worth). The tree is not that big - I would guess 6 feet tall? Apparently it used to grow in some sort of spiral shape but it has been let go and is now just patchy and weird. It is close to one end of the bed. I wouldn't be able to remove it on my own, I'd need some help. My landlord passed away recently (2 weeks ago), so I feel strange about making any major changes without consulting with anyone. That's also why I'm unsure about how long I will get to keep living here - his wife may decide to sell (I'm guessing). But I would like to utilize it if I can in the mean time.

I do have lots of things growing in pots... 2 cherry tomato plants, a lemon cucumber, some onions, a green pepper, and an herb garden. I even have a blueberry bush still in a pot... I may put it in the ground and then just dig it up if I have to.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

If I was to add in the Mel's Mix... would it be better if I added it in a layer on top, or to mix it in with the soil?
irishgirl76
irishgirl76

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 7/24/2012, 11:07 pm

irishgirl76 wrote:Thanks everyone!
My landlord passed away recently (2 weeks ago), so I feel strange about making any major changes without consulting with anyone. That's also why I'm unsure about how long I will get to keep living here - his wife may decide to sell (I'm guessing). But I would like to utilize it if I can in the mean time.

Oh geez, this is the exact situation I'm in at the moment. Be careful - I doubt things are as bad financially in Canada as in the US right now, but my poor landlord is concerned she might not be able to keep her own house, let alone the one I'm renting.

moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/24/2012, 11:40 pm

If I was to add in the Mel's Mix... would it be better if I added it in a layer on top, or to mix it in with the soil?

Best on top. A lot of things will actually grow in just the 4 inches.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/25/2012, 12:10 pm

Hi there and WELCOME
Sounds like an interesting situation.
If I were you, I would perhaps add a little compost to the bed and plant there, AND make mels mix for some pots or buckets and that way you can save your mels mix for you next place. (you said you did not know how long you would be renting there)
If you do use mels mix on top of the other bed, I would take some dirt out of that bed, down about 2 inches, put some type of fabric down or cardboard or news papers and then put the dirt back and then the mels mix

I had several beds from last year before I started with mels mix and they were about 12 inches high and so I just got them down to 6 inches, added cardboard and then the mels mix (to decrease your weeding chore??)
COuld you take picture of the tree?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  irishgirl76 7/25/2012, 6:34 pm

Well, I dug up the tree!! Amazing what we can do when we're determined enough. Lol. My neighbour saw the tree and couldn't believe I'd done it myself. I'll try to post pics from the computer later if I figure out how. Made Mel's Mix to fill up the top 4 inches or so. Now just to grid it off and plant. Yaay! My kids are leaving on Saturday to go to their dad's for a month, so we hope to have some things planted before they leave. It will be exciting for them to see what grew while they were gone!

Now just keep your fingers crossed for me that we get to keep the house at least until fall. Smile

Thank you all SO much for your suggestions and encouragement! This seems like a great place to hang out!

Alissa
irishgirl76
irishgirl76

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/25/2012, 6:52 pm

Welcome Alissa! Well you don't let grass grow under your feet. Tree shouldn't be there, out it goes, lol!

It sounds like you are off to a great start! Your kids will be so surprised with how much the plants will grow in a month and it will probably keep you busy enough so you won't miss them too much! This is a great forum and I probably get on it too much but I learn so much and it's fun to see and hear what others are doing with their gardens. We also get some funny posts here and there.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/25/2012, 8:01 pm

Please post some pictures of the garden's progress.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  irishgirl76 7/25/2012, 10:05 pm

Ok, can anyone tell me how and where to post photos? Smile
irishgirl76
irishgirl76

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/25/2012, 10:16 pm

Just go up to host an image of the figures above the reply screen, just to the right of centre.
click on it and from there you can choose your picture and the host it.

It will be exciting for them to see what grew while they were gone!
What a great kids project. I think it is so important for kids to be exposed to gardening and see things grow.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  irishgirl76 7/31/2012, 7:11 am

Thanks, guys! I can't seem to get the image upload to work... but I managed to get the bed planted yesterday (was hoping to do it with the kids before they left but it didn't happen... so I told them I would send them pictures as soon as stuff starts coming up!). I transplanted in some of what I was growing in pots... I hope that was ok and that I didn't kill them! I guess I will find out. lol. I seeded everything else except lettuce and spinach, I'm guessing I should hold off for another couple weeks on those.

Thanks again for all your help!

Alissa
irishgirl76
irishgirl76

Back to top Go down

Post  J_in_HamiltonON 7/31/2012, 7:48 am

irishgirl76 wrote:Ok, can anyone tell me how and where to post photos? Smile

See this thread for how to post photo's
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t129-how-to-post-a-picture-located-on-your-computer
J_in_HamiltonON
J_in_HamiltonON

Male Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum